Last.fm 2008 Beta

Posted by Alastor

Did anyone else get invited to this? I linked Arc to my Beta page, and it gave him a Subscribers Only message. I'm not and have never been a Subscriber, but I got invited to the Beta. Strange.

Holy ****, it looks awful. The new features are nice, but the layout is just atrocious. Among the new features are new looks for Friends and Groups, a new Activity Feed, "real-time charts", and a Top Tracks player on everyone's page.

[url=http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x65/Dystorce/LastFM2008_2.png]Here's an example of what the Beta looks like, if you didn't get an invitation.[/url] (Edit: Fixed the image.)

Someone thought it'd be a great idea to put a menu on the left and cram everything else on the right and slap in a ton of empty white space. Brilliant. Luckily for me, 9/10 users are having the same reaction to this as I am, which is "Keep the new features, go back to the old layout, and slap whoever it was that thought up the new one."

Edit: Oh, and you can't see it in the screenshot, but Top Artists and Top Tracks (both Overall) only go up to TEN on your main page now. I don't like that at all.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'd rather have top 50 and get rid of all the other crap like images and whatnot. Wonder what they were thinking when they decided to bunch everything together in the middle? I personally like it forum-style with the user info on the left, music info on the right.

Posted by Alastor

Bunch of people are ****ed at how much it looks like Facebook.

Posted by Shade

BECAUSE ALL SOCIAL WEBSITES MUST BE UNIQUE IN EVERY WAY

Whatever, I don't see what the big hate is all about with the format, but only showing top 10 artists is laaaame.

Posted by Omni

It sucks because of where the shoutboxes are. I'm sure they'll improve on it since they're asking for feedback and seem interested in taking it, but the current layout is awful.

wait, where IS the shoutbox? If it's not at the top of the page I'll likely never bother with it.

Posted by Alastor

Shoutboxes are now in the middle (ALONG WITH EVERYTHING ELSE) near the bottom.

Matter of fact, I think they ARE at the bottom.

Posted by Crazy K

Eww, Do not like. I hope they stick with the original layout, this one is just gross.

Posted by Shade

But new is sexy and trendy!

Posted by Alastor

I actually didn't like the now-current look when they switched to it, but I eventually adapted because it was basically just a new look slapped on the old style, not a ****ty redesign where they move everything for no logical reason.

WHITE SPACE IS TRENDY

Quoted post: Shoutboxes are now in the middle (ALONG WITH EVERYTHING ELSE) near the bottom.

Matter of fact, I think they ARE at the bottom.

what the ****. No one will bother using them if they're all the way at the bottom.

Posted by Omni

Exactly, which is why pretty much everyone who's seen the Beta version complained about that in the forum. If you don't want to see it, go to the Beta forum or Last.fm group and complain.

Posted by Alastor

Well, it's now live. No longer a beta.

There's still no Paint It Black option, the shoutboxes are still huge and out of the way, and there's still not nearly enough contrast between the main content and the background colors.

Ugh.

Despite the fact that a vast majority of the feedback is entirely negative, I had a feeling they'd change it, anyways. Sort of a "HEY GUYS WE DID ALL THIS CODE SO WE BETTER MAKE USE OF IT DESPITE THE FACT THAT EVERYONE HATES IT" thing.

Posted by Omni

I hate it so much. It makes me not want to go to the site and browse anymore.

Yeah, honestly thought it would've been changed. Boy was I wrong. Hate it.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Alastor: Bunch of people are ****ed at how much it looks like Facebook.

I'll join that club.

I guess I'll eventually get used to it, but I definitely prefer the old layout.The thing that bothers me the most is that I can only see my top 15 and not my top 50.

:(

Posted by Alastor

Click that little gray sprocket thing to the right of "Top _____" on the chart you want. You can adjust how many items it displays, as well as the time frame.

For example, I can choose to display my Overall Top 50, or just my Last 6 Months Top 30.

Posted by Xero

I'll play around with those options later. Thanx for letting me know :)

Posted by Alastor

Anything to make the new Last.fm more tolerable. :cookie:

Just in case anyone's overlooked it, they've brought back the ability to remove things from your charts. Go into the "Library". If you mouse over an artist image, you'll see a small gray X appear in the top right. If you click that and then confirm it, it will be deleted from your Library, and also your charts. I really missed that feature. It's a godsend if you've accidentally accumulated a ton of plays on a mistagged artist.

For example, I had 600+ plays for "Yuka Tujiyoko", when her actual last name is "Tsujiyoko". :o

It's funny, because I really like nearly every addition they made... but how it's arranged is the deal breaker. Shame.

Posted by Klarth

The new design is lovely, but the one qualm I've had with it ever since poking around with the beta for the first time was that profiles should be rearrangeable - similar to Facebook. The shoutbox position is hardly ideal.

Plus, they still haven't added a big "FRIENDS" button. Navigating to my buddy list is as unintuitive as ever.