Chrono Trigger DS

Posted by Alastor

http://ds.ign.com/articles/885/885713p1.html
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

Cool.

In before Willis.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I hope to *** it's not just a ****ty port but rather an actual remake a la recent Final Fantasy remakes.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Apparently it's an 'enhanced' remake. Whatever that means. Using both screens during battle would make battles a whole lot less cluttered.

Enhanced: Completely rewritten and sure to **** off all the fans.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It needs all the deleted and lost content.

It's going to remove even more content and make it more streamlined for the casuals.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Chrono Trigger was pretty casual. Very little character tinkering.

chrono trigger wii

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

WAGGLE TO TEAR THE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM

IT'S LIKE I'M REALLY CHRONO!!

lol

Posted by Bebop

'Enhanced' usually means slighty better graphics and mini-games.

http://kotaku.com/5021416/square-enix-confirms-chrono-trigger-ds

"Square Enix has gone ahead and made it official - Chrono Trigger is coming to the Nintendo DS in North America this holiday season! The game is a port of the classic Super Nintendo RPG, modified to take advantage of the DS's dual-screen presentation and touch screen functionality. They'll also be spicing things up a bit with an entirely new dungeon for the DS version, as well as wireless multiplayer battles."

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

That's pretty underwhelming compared to what Squeenix have been doing for their old Final Fantasys, but no matter. I'll still buy it.

COUGH

Posted by Shade

Cool. Never played the game before, seems like a good oppurtunity to do so.

Posted by Slade

Now I don't know whether to play the fan re-translation or wait for this one.

Posted by ExoXile

I've only watched heather play through it a few times, I guess it's time for me to get it, too.

Since I pretty much know it by now, HUH.

Quoted post: That's pretty underwhelming compared to what Squeenix have been doing for their old Final Fantasys, but no matter. I'll still buy it.

Agreed. I look at the FFVI remake and this and it makes the "enhanced" CT seem... not so great.

Posted by maian

FFIV*

Yeah, just saw some more footage for that on GT and it looks epic.

So. Eh.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;860097]That's pretty underwhelming compared to what Squeenix have been doing for their old Final Fantasys, but no matter. I'll still buy it.

COUGH

It's pretty overwhelming considering what Square has ever done with any of their Final Fantasys

Posted by Slade

Quoting Speedfreak: It's pretty overwhelming considering what Square has ever done with any of their Final Fantasys

What do you mean? For both GBA remakes they added a dungeon and tons of hard bosses, plus in FF VI for GBA they added several new summons and took out some of the best dialogue. Then there's FFIV DS in 3D with new abilities, bosses, and probably more stuff I don't know about.

The only remakes that have made me think UGH, WOW are the PSP anniversary things. As far as remakes go, Square has recently been making them awesome, at least for Nintendo handhelds.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

War of the Lions was a remake worthy of mention too. They added a ****ton of fancy cutscenes, similar to the PSX ports that were on the Square collections.

Posted by S

What I got from his implication is that they ONLY do it to FF games, and no other games. The actual remakes, not just re-releases.

Quoted post: It's pretty overwhelming considering what Square has ever done with any of their Final Fantasys

looooooooooool

Posted by WillisGreeny

no no NOOOO, you ****ing idiots Enix, NOO!. fail fail fail fail fail fail FAAAAILED. Jesus Christ, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? Are they ****ing with us? THEY JUST HATE VIDEO GAMES. It's like they don't give a **** anymore. oh sure, FF2 GETS A WHOLE ****ING MAKEOVER, BUT CHRONO TRIGGER GETS A FEW MENUS SHIFTED AROUND, SINCE WE'RE ENIX, AND WE LOST OUR ****ING MINDS.

I'm going to go lie down. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You'd be *****ing if it was a 3D facelift and a total overhaul of the battle system too.

NOT ME. If I wanted to play the same ****ing game I'd bust out my copy of the SNES version and pray to go it still works. Not spending 40 bucks for a new dungeon.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

this is why i have long since resorted to piracy

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'm still going to buy it, like a little *****...I HATE YOU ENIX.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Enix? Wasn't CT a Square game?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Square Soft is dead X, can't you just accept that? They're never coming back.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Slade;860194]What do you mean? For both GBA remakes they added a dungeon and tons of hard bosses, plus in FF VI for GBA they added several new summons and took out some of the best dialogue. Then there's FFIV DS in 3D with new abilities, bosses, and probably more stuff I don't know about.

The only remakes that have made me think UGH, WOW are the PSP anniversary things. As far as remakes go, Square has recently been making them awesome, at least for Nintendo handhelds.

I'M SAYING FINAL FANTASY SUCKS, SLADE. IT IS A BAD SERIES NO MATTER HOW MUCH WHORE MAKEUP THEY SLAP ON IT.

[quote=WillisGreeny;860330]Square Soft is dead X, can't you just accept that? They're never coming back.

Enix was absorbed into the unliving husk that is Square. If Square is dead then they took Enix down with them.

[quote=The X;860325]Enix? Wasn't CT a Square game?

Technically, but Chrono Trigger's team was half of Dragon Quests's and half Final Fantasy's anyway. You could say it was their first game in the partnership.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;860389]I'M SAYING FINAL FANTASY SUCKS, SLADE. IT IS A BAD SERIES NO MATTER HOW MUCH WHORE MAKEUP THEY SLAP ON IT.Aren't you a Chrono Trigger fan? That's pretty much the same thing, with a little less depth.

As a whole Final Fantasy does suck. But it has a few bright moments, namely 4, 6, 12 and Tactics.

Posted by Shade

Was 12 really that good? I saw it at K-Mart for $15 and almost bought it, but figured it'd be more 10-like garbage.

It's the second best main FF game behind 6.

Posted by S

It's crap. FF12 is crap.

And Chrono Trigger has more depth than many, if not all, the FF games. Tactics is the only one I'd say is above it in story depth. In battle depth? Yeah, sure. But they had years to work on new battle mechanics, whereas CT set the standard for a good ATB and Tech system.

Posted by WillisGreeny

The Tech system has yet to be surpassed in any other game.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Chrono Trigger's ATB was pretty much the exact same as FF4 and 6. The tech system was simply OH LOOK LOL U PUT THREE CHARACTERS TOGETHER HERES AN ATTACK

That said, it's still a very good game. But it's battle system isn't anything revolutionary.

Posted by WillisGreeny

go play your shooters.

Quoted post: It's crap. FF12 is crap.

You're crap. I don't get why some people hate FFXII. It's a pretty ****ing great RPG and the best Final Fantasy since 6. Though that's not saying much I guess, but point stands.

Posted by S

Great retaliation Vamp.

The game's got nothing going for it except maybe a near carbon-copy rip of FFXI's battle system. I wanted to stab Vahn in the face with his own high-pitched voice.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;860404]Aren't you a Chrono Trigger fan? That's pretty much the same thing, with a little less depth.

Uhh, I think the game design and art was from DQ and the story and music was from FF. I liked DQ8 (apart from the end where it basically made it impossible for me to win) so that's probably about right. Final Fantasy has horrible character design (buckles, gays and sluts!), the story writer goes fucking loopy when he's not regulated by a sane game designer and I've never really liked the art. Especially FF7, the official art looks so student 2nd year project.

I'm not sure how they could remake this. It'd look hyper gay in DS polygons mode and the 2D art couldn't really be improved on because the DS resolution is actually lower than the SNES's, unless you changed all the sprite sizes, which would suck.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Or, you know, remake it for the Wii.

Posted by Speedfreak

LOL, yeah right. Square Enix won't put more than 4 guys on anything that doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title or have Final Fantasy characters in it.

Quoted post: Great retaliation Vamp.

Great job being a stupid faggot solrok

lol

Also, remaking it on the Wii would be a pretty lame idea. I don't know about you guys, but I kinda like being able to take these old RPGs on the road or at least not have to sit in front of my TV. I don't mind it with new games, but idk, it's different with remakes of old games for me.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Speedfreak;860611]LOL, yeah right. Square Enix won't put more than 4 guys on anything that doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title or have Final Fantasy characters in it.

Which is why I curse them every night before I go to bed, like a prayer.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;860621]Great job being a stupid faggot solrok

lol

Also, remaking it on the Wii would be a pretty lame idea. I don't know about you guys, but I kinda like being able to take these old RPGs on the road or at least not have to sit in front of my TV. I don't mind it with new games, but idk, it's different with remakes of old games for me.

Yeah, RPGs are much better on handhelds, I've always prefe- wait, s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it.

I agree with this statement. ಠ_ಠ

Posted by Alastor

Well that's new.

Posted by Speedfreak

No it's not, it happened like 2 days ago!

Posted by Alastor

How 'bout before then?

Yeah, every once in awhile he has a moment of brilliance where his fat ego doesn't get in the way of reason and logic. It's rare, but during those times he can fully realise I'm right and he's wrong.

Posted by Alastor

That's more like it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;860665]Yeah, every once in awhile he has a moment of brilliance where his fat ego doesn't get in the way of reason and logic. It's rare, but during those times he can fully realise I'm right and he's wrong.

Yeah, that's the logic of the world. It all revolves around you.

That's stupid. Though that's a typical speedy comment which pretty much proves my point.

Posted by Speedfreak

You're a typical speedy comment.

Posted by Shade

Vamp's a Speedy puppet account.

Posted by Speedfreak

You're all part of our psychology experiment, this has all been a simulation of a previous VGC war. You're all clones of soldiers from the 60s. YOUR MEMORIES ARE NOT YOUR OWN.

Quoted post: Vamp's a Speedy puppet account.

That'd be pretty badass.

Posted by Alastor

So [url=http://www.chronotrigger.jp/]the Japanese site[/url] has a trailer, and it looks... Exactly the same.

Posted by ExoXile

NUH-UH, LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS!

Posted by Shade

Reminds me of Dragonball Z.

Posted by Speedfreak

LOOKING THE SAME MEANS THEY DIDN'T DECIDE TO RUIN IT.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

TORYIAMA IS A HACK

Shame they didn't show what the DS interface will look like.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Alastor: So [url=http://www.chronotrigger.jp/]the Japanese site[/url] has a trailer, and it looks... Exactly the same.

Thats a relief. For a second there I was worried Square Enix would do something new!

Well I won't be buying it then. Still got the SNES game and ****, I could just download it if I really cared. They could've updated the graphics at the very least.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I wonder if they're going to include the PS cinematics or not... Or better yet, add some more.

Posted by S

And kill the load times.

Posted by Speedfreak

They'd be pretty hard pushed to add load times. I dunno about the cinematics. Some of them were cool, but the alternate ending to add hooks to Chrono Cross was bogus.

I can't wait to finally own a legitimate, playable copy of this game.

Posted by S

They did it once. Wouldn't surprise me if they even doubled the PS1 load times.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=S

Posted by S

Ha-ha, taking an obviously satircal point seriously and then responding in lieu!

Seriously though, I doubt they'll mess it up again. If they didn't learn from that glaring mistake, they deserve to be shot. In the face. Three times.

Nearly a 30 second load time in between each fight and cut scene on a game that's just barely 2 MB is ludacris. Cinema, okay, but cutscene and fight? CD may have been the initial reason for the load time, but bad planning was the reason it stayed that way for the release.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'd love to know how the graphics could be improved when DS isn't really capable of much more in 2D and all the sprites looked amazing to begin with. It's the most common complaint I read and I can't make any sense of it.

Final Fantasy remakes look pretty great, especially 4.

Posted by Alastor

The shading could be touched up, if anything. Not a big deal, but I'm surprised they didn't try ANYTHING.

Edit: What Vamp said. I was expecting a change more akin to the FF remakes.

Why do I think Chrono Trigger in the sprite style of MegaMan Battle Network 4, 5 and 6 would look awesome?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;861697]Final Fantasy remakes look pretty great, especially 4.

They were ****ing NES games. Even 4, which was a SNES game, looked like a NES game. Updating crap NES sprites to better sprites or 2D has no risk of being a step backwards. Updating awesome sprites to bad 3D is insanity, as is attempting to make those sprites better with a lower resolution.

Honestly, the fact that they're not changing anything makes me feel like we dodged a bullet.

Posted by S

Seconding Speedie's comment.

I just don't see the point in buying an old game with absolutely no improvements save for an additional dungeon. CT was good but not that good, especially when there's more than enough emulators out there. Like I said, updating the graphics is the least they could do.

Posted by Shade

Why do that when they could just make boat loads of money without doing any work? Come on Vamp, I thought you were more sensible than this.

****, you're right. I wouldn't make a very good businessman. They know what they're doing. I mean, they haven't changed a thing and they still got fans salivating over a near straight-port at full retail price. Truly they are brilliant.

Posted by Speedfreak

1. Buy game
2. Square revives franchise
3. ????
4. Profit.

Hahaha, I'll buy you the next CT if that actually happens AND it's good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You're buying a game in the hopes it'll mean you can buy a new sequel? oh lol

Posted by Speedfreak

No, I'm buying it because I want my first legimate, playable copy. (If I actually typed those exact words on the page before I'm gonna lol).

Hope of a sequel is a reason Vamp can buy it, if he really wants to be convinced.

Come to think of it, do we know we're seeing DS graphics in the trailer? I mean the whole thing was pretty much a reminder of what Chrono Trigger is anyway. Maybe it's just a teaser. I read on some press release that it's being "remastered exclusively for DS" 0_o

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Speedfreak;861993]No, I'm buying it because I want my first legimate, playable copy.
Me too.

[IMG]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/341/bscap0143us4.png[/IMG]

Quoted post: Come to think of it, do we know we're seeing DS graphics in the trailer? I mean the whole thing was pretty much a reminder of what Chrono Trigger is anyway. Maybe it's just a teaser. I read on some press release that it's being "remastered exclusively for DS" 0_o

It'd be a pretty strange move to show a trailer of old SNES footage. If they wanted to familiarize us with it maybe show a cutscene, recap the story and characters or something. But show clips from another version? Odd strategy.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah but 90% of that trailer was just 13 JAPANESE JAPANESE....OFFICAL ART FROM YEARS AGO......CHARACTER NAME IN BIG LETTERS.....CHRONO TRIGGER.

Yeah, but there was still quite a bit of footage.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I can't believe some people actually think it's still going to be a 3D remake. Don't you think they'd have mentioned that by now? It'd be a huge selling point.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;862058]Yeah, but there was still quite a bit of footage.

Yeah, but all that stuff I mentioned was all old reminder stuff, maybe the footage could've been too?

I sure hope not, anyway. Chrono Trigger had great art and pretty good animation, though it'd be awesome if they upped the amount of frames to Sonic Advance/Fire Emblem levels.

I don't think I've heard of any other game that's show only old footage to promote a game. Usually it's old footage mixed with footage of the new game for a comparison. That makes sense.