What the heck is Yoda?

Posted by Razgriz7

total n00b question and i'm not even sure if it belongs here:

what kind of race is yoda and why is there only one of him?

Posted by Zaith

It never says what race he is but there are more then one the only one i can think of right off the bat is Master Vendar from kotor

Posted by maian

Let's not forget about Yaddle!

Posted by Tyler Durden

Quoting a wiki: Series creator George Lucas originally wished Yoda to follow his other characters in having a full name: Yoda Minch, but instead opted to have many details of the character's life history remain unknown. Yoda's race has never been stated in any media, canonical or otherwise, and he is merely stated to be of a "mysterious species" by the Star Wars Databank. His race has been called a "tridactyl species" but this simply means that they have three fingers.
Early in the development of Episode IV, Lucas included a species called the Whills, a distant, omnipresent race who were to take the story-teller perspective. It has been postulated by fans that Yoda, Yaddle and Vandar Tokare are Whills; recently, there has been passing reference to a Shaman of the Order of the Whills in the novelization of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, confirming their continued canonical existence in the Star Wars universe. However, Lucas has firmly denied that Yoda's species is in fact that of the Whills. In fact, very little is reported of Yoda's life before the events of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

That should clear things up, a bit.. or cause more confusion.. or just **** everyone off, in general.

Posted by Zaith

I think Lucas did it just to mess with us

Posted by Tyler Durden

I'm fairly certain Lucas didn't even think up the entire Star Wars universe. Probably robbed his own mother of the idea for Yoda..