A dooms-day device...?

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/critics-fear-collider-could-doom-earth/20080628165609990001

Um... Wow. Why do we need this machine, anyway?

Posted by Ant

if you think this is going to "end the world" you're a moron.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Kendra, Warrior Babe;859383]Um... Wow. Why do we need this machine, anyway?To advance our knowledge of atomic structure. Which is kinda important. Creating a black hole, though? Ahahahahaha

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

this is really, really cool

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Oooooh i can't wait til they turn it on to see what happens. Nothing probably.

By the way, I think the [URL="http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4260687.html"]Dharma Initiative[/URL] is behind this.[/COLOR]

Posted by cool gamer dad

in theory they CAN create micro black holes, but they'd evaporate in milllimillimillimillimilli seconds and it wouldn't do ****.

Posted by The Judge

This is old hat. Seriously, people were worried about this months ago.

The fact of the matter is that if chances were so good that we'd all be destroyed, why would any scientist want to continue working on it? Several safety reports put even the worst accident it could cause, which they say will be minor at best, has a 1 in 50 million chance of happening.

Posted by Shade

I'm blaming you when we all die.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I bet it runs on Trinium.

Posted by The Judge

Skynet.

Posted by Shade

It's the TARDIS.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

is that this super collider thing that everyone was worried about a couple years back or something? If so, who cares anymore.

Posted by Speedfreak

...the same people, since it hasn't been activated yet?

An AOL article that doesn't understand technology or physics...yeah, that's about right.

EDIT: Lol @ the polls. There's nothing humans could possibly do to destroy the Earth.

Posted by Ant

wow yeah. those polls are pretty sad. :( though most people are thinking of "destory the world" as in, nothing could live on it. not blow it up anything like that.

Posted by The Judge

Well, there IS a possibility that the LHC could create micro black holes. They probably wouldn't ammount to anything, but the worry is that if one does, we're all royally screwed.

would be a sweet way to go

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Is the gaint particle smasher worth the risk?
No 61%
Yes 39%

An AOL poll with a typo and a ridiculous result. Haha, oh wow.

particle smasher would make a pretty sweet villain

oh right, atom smasher

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: particle smasher would make a pretty sweet villain

ZILLLLLTOIIIIIID

wait that was the planet smasher wasn't it?
****it.

[quote=Speedy]There's nothing humans could possibly do to destroy the Earth.

Yeah because Global Warming is a myth.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Shade;859746]Yeah because Global Warming is a myth.There isn't enough evidence yet to conclude that global warming is a result of human actions.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Global Warming exists because Al Gore convinced Arnold Schwarzenegger that the debate was over, which is certainly enough for me! :horse: . THE DEBATE IS OVER. AL GORE PROVED IT WITH RED ARROWS, CHARTS, AND SIMULATIONS OF DROWNING POLAR BEARS.

Posted by Speedfreak

The worst result of Global Warming is a new ice-age and mass extinction of many species, including possibly us. But the Earth would still be there, and the weather would eventually stabilise and the world's ecosystems would eventually recover. As it is now, we couldn't kill the world even if we fired every nuke we ever invented. It'd take thousands of years, but the Earth would recover eventually. We can't destroy it at all.

EDIT: Well, unless we make a black hole, obviously. But given our current technology at this present moment, we couldn't.

Posted by WillisGreeny

but mankind will continue developing technology until it is.

Posted by Speedfreak

Something huge hitting Earth is way more likely than us building a black hole machine and deciding to flick the on button.

Posted by mis0

Poor scientists. It seems like no matter what one considers to be a way to have a good time, some stupid retards are always there to ruin it with inane lawsuits. :(

Can't wait until we can officially destroy planets. If only I could be alive for that day...

Posted by Bebop

Only Christians use AOL

Posted by Shade

what the hell

Posted by NikkoFreako

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Can't wait until we can officially destroy planets. If only I could be alive for that day...

I can imagine someone saying operating the Hubble saying, "That planet is in the way. Take care of it boys."

KABOOOM.
:D

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

If only Christians use AOL, then why would they even be acknowledging this? Don't they have their own version of how the world is ending, anyway?