Gary Numan

Posted by Dexter

Numanoids unite!

No, seriously, this guy's music has always been some of my favorite, especially when it comes to music from the 80s. He was one of the first musical artist I remember getting into as a child and I have no doubt that he shaped much of my music taste today, especially when it comes to the sounds of techno and synth. During a time of 'happy, uplifting music,' this guy came around with a darker tone and captivated me.

His influence on today's music is huge and he often goes unappreciated. Anyone who likes Nine Inch Nails should know and appreciate Gary Numan.

I'd be happily surprised if many of you already know and listen to Gary. Other than Raptor, I don't know of any other VGCer who listens to his material. Please surprised me!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Heh, wow. Can't say I've listened to him too recently, but I used to quite a bit when I was younger. I still have a lot of his albums around here somewhere, though all I can find is I, Assassin and Strange Charm.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Dexter: Anyone who likes Nine Inch Nails should know and appreciate Gary Numan.

Very interesting...

I've sort of been meaning (in the back of my mind) to check him out. What's a good album-wise starting point?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Strange Charm has a couple of my favourite songs of his and I think should sit well with your tastes... though, Replicas might be his strongest effort. If it's the one I'm thinking of, which I'm pretty certain it is. But yeah, those two. Dex might be able to confirm my opinion.

Posted by Dexter

Definitely good albums. My personal favorite is probably Replicas but anything from his early career is certainly worth checking out. Jagged will surely remind you of Nine Inch Nails.

Posted by Corrupt

I've been familiar with Numan and his music for as long as I can remember, but the only album I've really heard in any detail is The Pleasure Principle, which is outstanding. Other assorted tracks such as "Down in the Park," "Are Friends Electric," and of course the ever popular "Cars" are also great. I think Raptor sent me a copy of Replicas a few years back but it seems that I've misplaced it. :( I really should just get it again.