New RPG: Arc Rise Fantasia

Posted by Prince Shondronai

From the developers of Luminous Arc for the DS:

http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/wii/arcrise/menu.html

Looks promising.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I just looked at the main screen and it reminded me of Infinite Undiscovery/Every recent JRPG. Wouldn't call that promising.

Posted by Ant

uhh, LOOKS NICE!

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I just looked at the main screen and it reminded me of Infinite Undiscovery/Every recent JRPG. Wouldn't call that promising.

Okie-dokie. Tons of people have been saying that the Wii needs to beef up its RPG library with more traditional games in the genre, though, and that's just what this is. With this, Tales of Symphonia II, and Fragile, I think the Wii's future RPG lineup is looking pretty good.

Posted by #061402

It'll probably just wind up as any other generic RPG.

..Unless they throw in the option for Japanese speech. Then it'll sell ****loads to weeaboos.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Oh sweet! it's in 3d!? Amazing!!!

Seriously though, what's promising about this game? It could turn out just like Evolutionary Worlds for GameCube, which, if you hadn't played that, was a total peice of ****.

I liked Evolution. On the Dreamcast, at least. Haven't played the GAMECUBE one, which supposedly combined both titles in the series into one, really long game. It's one of the best randomly-generated dungeon crawlers, I say.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;858835]Oh sweet! it's in 3d!? Amazing!!!

Seriously though, what's promising about this game? It could turn out just like Evolutionary Worlds for GameCube, which, if you hadn't played that, was a total peice of ****.

So what's it take for a JRPG to look promising these days? A SWEET FMV TRAILER?

Quoted post: Okie-dokie. Tons of people have been saying that the Wii needs to beef up its RPG library with more traditional games in the genre, though, and that's just what this is. With this, Tales of Symphonia II, and Fragile, I think the Wii's future RPG lineup is looking pretty good.

The last thing the world needs is more traditional JRPGs.

Posted by WillisGreeny

@Speedy
The criteria for rating how promising a JRPG looks isn't that hard:

1: Gameplay snapshots that include scenes of battles, walking around towns (which is all that is shown for this game), some characters, and dialog with some random NPCs.
2: Whatever the **** the story is.
3: The company that's making the game

So far, the website has only covered a snibit of criteria 1, all of criteria 3, but no criteria 2. Once I see the rest of the said criteria, then I'll decide whether it's promising. Some screen shots of a character walking around infront of a castle provides hardly anything, and making it for the Wii means nothing to whether or not the game will be any good.

4: doing something at least semi-fresh and exciting with the genre

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;858961]4: doing something at least semi-fresh and exciting with the genre

I sortof use that as a basis for how I rate the first 2, but for good measure, I'll add that to the list.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;858957]@Speedy
The criteria for rating how promising a JRPG looks isn't that hard:

1: Gameplay snapshots that include scenes of battles, walking around towns (which is all that is shown for this game), some characters, and dialog with some random NPCs.
2: Whatever the **** the story is.
3: The company that's making the game

So far, the website has only covered a snibit of criteria 1, all of criteria 3, but no criteria 2. Once I see the rest of the said criteria, then I'll decide whether it's promising. Some screen shots of a character walking around infront of a castle provides hardly anything, and making it for the Wii means nothing to whether or not the game will be any good.

But you haven't refrained from deciding whether it's promising or not until you have all the evidence. You've already decided there's nothing promising when they haven't had a chance to make their case yet.

The chances of it being something new within the JRPG genre are very slim.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Speedfreak;861985]But you haven't refrained from deciding whether it's promising or not until you have all the evidence. You've already decided there's nothing promising when they haven't had a chance to make their case yet.

I decided there wasn't enough evidence to decide, so saying it's promising is premature.

Nintendo Power reports that Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger's music composer) is doing the music. I'll have to keep my eyes on cdjapan.co.jp to see if the soundtrack comes out around the time of the game's release in Japan.

They also talked about some details of the battle system and showed a couple of new screenshots. Turn-based battles with a sort of dynamic magic points pool that you can shift from one character to another or divy up between all 3 to enable combo spells. If I was premature before, I apologize, but I must say: It looks promising.