Advice for newcomers. (Read before posting.)

Posted by Klarth

If you're new to the boards I suggest you read this carefully. I'm just laying down a few guidelines for posting here.

1 - no gaming-related topics in the literature board.

This site may be called video game chat, but too many people fail to realise that there are some boards which do not, in fact, concern gaming itself in any way, shape or form. Game-related fan-fiction is tolerable as long as it doesn't suck.

2 - general posting tips.

Abstain from excessive chatspeak - the occasional "omg/wtf/lol" is acceptable, but if I see a thread about inuyasha fanfiction littered with "roflwolfdemonfoxomglolwtf!" then I'm gonna delete it.

Post more than one word at a time. Hell, I'm going to delete every short post I see unless it couldn't possibly be expressed in any other way.

3 - general rules apply as usual.

Yeah, you still have to follow all other rules while posting in this board. And every other board on the site. Don't forget it.

Guidelines for fanfiction/poetry/whatever submission.

- Make sure it's on a subject we can all understand. Composing a poem on the virtues of kshdfksjd isn't exactly something we'll all enjoy unless you're some kind of prodigy.
- It must be at least 300 words in length if it's a story.

More later.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Abraxas: Game-related fan-fiction is tolerable as long as it doesn't suck.

You know mine doesn't. :cool:

Anyhow good set of rules. My first story will be about this guy: :bowser:

Posted by Klarth

Please note that chain stories are forbidden, as are threads which make exhibitions of people playing online hangman. Other posting games *could* be considered viable, as long as they actually require thought (as opposed to "hey u r dead. the end, mofo!!!").

Also, no roleplaying. I really shouldn't have to explain myself here.

Posted by loony636

Why can't we have chain stories? They're fun and they give people an oppourtunity to add to a story. I really can't see why they would be banned...

Posted by Klarth

because every single vgc chain story I've ever seen degenerates into "then they died the end!!", and I'm not going to allow for any exceptions. at all.

Posted by Klarth

Useful tip:

Manga and comic books are not literature.

If you want to post your own fanfic in the form of a comic, that'd be for the "Art, Design and Graphics" board. NOT HERE.

Posted by sonic hedgehog

Majesty, are fan fics based off of an anime based off of a game o.k.?

Posted by Tinkleheimer

http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=161

Had it bookmarked.

Posted by max

Blah. Me forgot password.

Posted by Klarth

something that I might as well clear up:

You can discuss newspapers, magazines and the like in here. However, if you're talking about some gaming mag or what have you, don't let the thread degenerate into gaming discussion.

Posted by Delilah

Are dark, not gory, poems allowed?

Posted by Klarth

Sure, I don't see any reason why not.

Posted by Delilah

Okay. Its just, i've been banned a couple times on websites because of my poems.

Posted by GameMiestro

Seriously?

Which boards?

Posted by Delilah

forums.legendsalliance.com But they may have deleted the posts- the screenname I used on LA was Izzy_the_Strange, I think. And the rest, well, I would rather no one saw.

Posted by asakurakyo

Hey, what about the reverse chain-story. It may be a chain story, but its much better as far as it goes. I can explain here:

Its a basic chain-story where everything is done is essay-length posts. Of course, the main twist is simply that the last part of the story is written FIRST, and then people write the rest of the story in reverse order, eventually coming back to the beginning. It's herder to screw up than a simple chain story, to an extent that inexperienced writers may simply give up. I simply wish to give this suggestion.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting netman: Useful tip:

Manga and comic books are not literature.

I know this is kind of old and I hasn't been posted in for awhile, but where exactly would any American comic-related topics/discussion go? I see an Anime/Manga board in regards to that, but I don't see a blog or a sub-forum for comic books.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Old_Snake: I know this is kind of old and I hasn't been posted in for awhile, but where exactly would any American comic-related topics/discussion go? I see an Anime/Manga board in regards to that, but I don't see a blog or a sub-forum for comic books.

[URL="http://vgchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187"]I do.[/URL]

Posted by Old_Snake

Ok, thanks for that, I briefly gazed through the blogs, but didn't notice this one I guess