Thoughts on the Virtual Boy

Posted by Nintendo Forever

We all remember the Virtual Boy.

Yeah, I've played one. Some of us love it because of its new approach & great graphics at the time. Others hate it for its ugliness and the eye strains it caused.

But the Virtual Boy's creator, Gunpei Yokoi, must be remembered. The Ultra Machine, the R.O.B., the Game Boy itself, all were great in Nintendo. He just made the Virtual Boy so people could try something new. Nintendo remembers this and uses that idea in their DS and Wii Consoles. And so what if people thought it was a mistake? We all make mistakes. That's what happens when we're brave enough to make decisions. And so, to close, I remember the Virtual Boy as the bravest faliure in Nintendo's history. And, even though it may never happen, I hope they could at least put Virtual Boy games on the Wii's Virtual Console.

These are my thoughts. Post yours if you wish.

Posted by kevn0

Hell yeah, I'm weird. I liked this system. I liked the red and black graphics, it's a shame they didn't make some full on horror games before the end, it would have been stellar. There are some games for this system that qualify as classics. Wario Land for the VB flat out smokes all the other Wario games that Nintendo has made. Ain't that a bummer for all the gamers who were sneering at this unit at the time? It's a solid 9 on the EGM 10 scale, and a true classic side-scrolling masterpiece. It also has some gameplay, thanks to the 3-D capability of the system, that remains unique in the Mario canon. I would add Red Alarm and Galactic Pinball to that list.

Yes, kids, those three games are reason enough to spend the cash and get a used system. With ebay, some persistence, and a bit of luck, there is NO reason you can't get the system and those games for around 100 dollars.

Or you could buy 2 next-gen games, and pray that they are not lame.

I liked the strangeness of the system.

But like I said, I'm a weird guy, and how sad there weren't enough of us.

Posted by lameboyadvance

...If you really do want some VB horror games, you could always try coding them yourself. ;)

There is also "Insmouse No Yakata", a 3D* horror shooter.

* By 3D I mean a really crap attempt at making it look 3D.

Posted by cactuar64

The virtual boy is kindof like a cave. Its dark, its spooky, its mysterious, and you want to see whats at the end. You stick your head in. You make a hotel mario reference (gee, its kinda dark!), you turn it on, and underneath that big red brick is actually something fun. A video game.

Posted by lameboyadvance

Glad to see it hasn't melted your eyes/brain.

Posted by lameboyadvance

Glad to see it hasn't melted your eyes/brain.