Metal Gear Solid-

Posted by Tyler Durden

Keep your eyes [URL="http://mgs.moviechronicles.com/2007-09/christian-bale-as-snake/"]open[/URL]..

Eh, it's just a blog. But it chronicles any developements made towards the film fairly accurately and up to date.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Hugh Jackman would be a better Snake.

Posted by Dexter

Richard Gere for me. Maybe he's too old. Sean Bean? Too old again. Just use Shia LaBeouf.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Richard "There's a gerbil in my ***" Gere?

Posted by Dexter

Yeah, that guy. They can make him tough and serious enough, right?

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Dexter: Richard Gere for me. Maybe he's too old. Sean Bean? Too old again. Just use Shia LaBeouf.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Oh yes, Shia LaBeouf. Hollywood's plan B.[/COLOR]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

David Hayter

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

He could probably write the screenplay, too.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Dexter;856844]Yeah, that guy. They can make him tough and serious enough, right?
They could implant a huge ammount of muscles and badass into Gere, and he still wouldn't seem tough. Espi-Action flicks are not his thang, son..

edit: Gere is more of the go-to guy for chick flicks. Yeah, just couldn't see him wielding a FAMAS anytime, soon.

[quote=The X;856914]He could probably write the screenplay, too.He actually did submit a screenplay, which was rejected by the good fellows in charge of production.. whatever their no-talent names are..

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Tyler Durden: He actually did submit a screenplay, which was rejected by the good fellows in charge of production.. whatever their no-talent names are..

Too bad for Hayter, first his Watchman screenplay gets rejected and now his MGS one, too.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Who knew the man with a legendary voice couldn't cut it at writing a few scripts.. color me baffled, but I'd like to know what he was working towards in both stories.

He wrote X-men and co-wrote X-Men 2. And both those films turned out pretty good!

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Tyler Durden: Who knew the man with a legendary voice couldn't cut it at writing a few scripts.. color me baffled, but I'd like to know what he was working towards in both stories.

Well, he has had a few notable screenplays under his belt, notably X-Men and X2.

I'm not totally sure on either, from what I remember reading he went for a loose adaption of the first game in the series in his MGS screenplay and in his Watchman he tried to keep the main storyline faithful to the original series, but tweaked it for modern times instead of Cold War charged 80s.

EDIT: Blast, Vamp beat me to the punch

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;857088]He wrote X-men and co-wrote X-Men 2. And both those films turned out pretty good!

I said "a few scripts". And I agree, X1 and X2 were both good films. Being that Hayter didn't script for X3 explains alot as to why it blew.

Here's an article about his script for [URL="http://movies.ign.com/articles/545/545644p1.html"]The Watchmen[/URL]-
from what I understand, it wasn't entirely rejected. Just in a state of revision.

A few more articles relating to MGS [URL="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/1648807/andquotmetal_gear_solidandquot_moving_on_without_andquotsolid_snakeandquot"]1[/URL], [URL="http://movies.ign.com/articles/788/788169p1.html"]2[/URL], isn't really much to go by.

Article with Hayter pushing [URL="http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/06/lost-planet-bei.html"]Lost Planet[/URL]-

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Tyler Durden: Here's an article about his script for [URL="http://movies.ign.com/articles/545/545644p1.html"]The Watchmen[/URL]-
from what I understand, it wasn't entirely rejected. Just in a state of revision.

That I did not know, I had heard it was rejected and another screenplay by Synder and some others were was being used

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Old_Snake;857094]EDIT: Blast, Vamp beat me to the punch
ninja'd

Dude, a Lost Planet movie would be awesome. I read about that a few days ago and I was like **** YEAH

Posted by Tyler Durden

Hopefully it turns out better than the game-
really didn't do much for my appetite.

But, I'd mos'def' watch the *** off it, if Hayter pens it.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Tyler Durden: He actually did submit a screenplay, which was rejected by the good fellows in charge of production.. whatever their no-talent names are..

So because David hayters script was rejected it means...the people high above have no talent? Do you even know the awful films he's written? Scorpian King. SCORPIAN KING!

Also, Metal Gear movie out in 2009? You'd have to be a dummy to fall for that.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Bebop;857147]So because David hayters script was rejected it means...the people high above have no talent? Do you even know the awful films he's written? Scorpian King. SCORPIAN KING!

That's only a minor dent in his career as a screenwriter. Seriously B', you've got to stop being overtly critical with every small effort. You're going to suffer a crippling heart attack by 29.

We all know The Scorpion King sucked incredible balls. I mean, after I viewed the first 45 minutes in theaters and stormed off home. I immediately found anything relative to the Rock that I could print out from the interwebs, then continued onward into the can and wiped my *** with it after hulking out a similar dogturd such as that so-called epic.

Anywho, I found this [URL="http://mgs.moviechronicles.com/2007-04/metal-gear-solid-philanthropy/"]fanfilm[/URL] ([URL="http://www.vimeo.com/943725?pg=embed&sec=943725"]2[/URL]) trailer somewhat interesting.

Posted by Fate

Sean Bean would make the most perfect Snake ever. Not kidding. There was a rumor going about that he would be Solid Snake.

Posted by Old_Snake

I could see him as Liquid personality-wise, but I just don't see him as Solid.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Tyler Durden: That's only a minor dent in his career as a screenwriter. Seriously B', you've got to stop being overtly critical with every small effort. You're going to suffer a crippling heart attack by 29.

We all know The Scorpion King sucked incredible balls. I mean, after I viewed the first 45 minutes in theaters and stormed off home. I immediately found anything relative to the Rock that I could print out from the interwebs, then continued onward into the can and wiped my *** with it after hulking out a similar dogturd such as that so-called epic.

Anywho, I found this [URL="http://mgs.moviechronicles.com/2007-04/metal-gear-solid-philanthropy/"]fanfilm[/URL] ([URL="http://www.vimeo.com/943725?pg=embed&sec=943725"]2[/URL]) trailer somewhat interesting.

Hold on a sec. Saying his script was thrown out because it was probably crap considering EVERYTHING else he's written has been BS is "overtly critical", but saying "lol the producers dont know what their talking about they don't know anything boo hiss boo" because they didnt want to spend millions of dollars using a script from a bad screen writer, all becuase he happens to VOICE a character in the games isn't?
Silly boy.

EDIT: Have you seen who's down to direct this? Seems director is more an issue than who writes it now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

- Thread about Metal Gear Solid
- Bebop posting

Might as well close it right now.

Anyway, with regards to Hayter - he wrote X-Men and X2, which were both pretty good action flicks, and aren't all that far from MGS (freaks with powers! politics!). He also wrote the original draft of Watchmen, so I mean jeez, he can't be all bad. Plus, he most definitely has a stronger grasp of MGS canon than any other professional screenwriter.

Posted by Bebop

-X posting

Why bother?

To be fair to Hayter the only film he wrote all by his pretty self is X Men. Which was ok. His biggest acheivment (X2) and biggest failure (Scorpian King) are shared with other writers.

Point is just because he has worked on the games doesn't mean his script should automatically be commished. That's a dumb. The script that should be used is the best one. Who wrote it is irrelevant.

If anything a writer that isn't so close to the series development might be a better choice. Afterall the film is going in a new direction from the series and writing a game is different to writing a film. I would bet my pennies that with Dayter reading so many MGS game scripts, his film script was too dialouge heavy and/or complicated. Fresh eyes would be better suited.

Quoted post: The script that should be used is the best one. Who wrote it is irrelevant.

No, the best script is irrelevant if anything. Rarely do those get picked for video game movies.

Posted by Bebop

When film makers use a script its the one they feel is best for the job. They never go "hey with all these millions of dollars we're using to make a film based on a highly sucessful video game serious do you think we should... you know.. use the scripts we thought were rubbish?". I hate it when people who have no remote clue about how the film process of film industry work start spinning bull on how it goes down. Next you'll be telling me theres "no creativity in acting".

No ****. But is that really the best script for the job? Clearly not, otherwise video game movies wouldn't have a horrible reputation.

Posted by Fate

Vamp is saying that in terms of video game movies made so far, it would seem that rarely are the best scripts used. Why? Because most video game movies are terrible when compared to the source material and honestly, some fanfics are better to read than the **** that makes it to the big screen. Don't take what he's saying for anything else other than what is actually being said; it's really not that difficult.

Posted by Bebop

The scripts they used are still the ones the makers feel was best for the job. Seeing as they make it and it's the one they use it means *drum roll* there isn't another one for the job! HOLY **** INCREDIBLE! It's really not that difficult.

Video game movies suck? No wai! Really? Still doesn't mean they consiously make them bad. It just means the film makers are bad.

Bad script does not equal best script.

Posted by Fate

It means crappy scriptwriters and lack of resources. Seriously, millions of dollars are wasted EVERY DAY.

Posted by maian

I wonder if the project is still even in production. That blog is from a year ago.

I don't know who I would want to be Snake. It'd be...weird without the voice. I don't know how well Hayter can act, but I honestly don't think he'd be a bad Snake, looks-wise. In the opening TV sequences of MGS4, he has that interview scene. I think he could pull off Snake. He's obviously got the voice. As Fate said, Sean Bean would be good, but I still imagine him as a Liquid for some reason. That may just be because he had blonde hair in National Treasure and has played a bad guy in 90% of his movies. :cookie:

And when he plays a good guy it's unbelievable. In my opinion anyways.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=maian;857254]I don't know how well Hayter can act..
Check [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109965/"]this[/URL] out, then check the movie out for yourself.

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;857256]And when he plays a good guy it's unbelievable. In my opinion anyways.
Bean is incredible, just not in Equilibrium-
where he was more or less, a corpse.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting maian: I wonder if the project is still even in production. That blog is from a year ago.

According to the studios and imdb it still is in the works, slated for a '09 release, which won't happen. At the earliest '10.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: And when he plays a good guy it's unbelievable. In my opinion anyways.

What movies has he been a good guy, the only movies I can think of is Equilibrium and Silent Hill and in both his role were minor.

Posted by Fate

I vote for Sean Bean or Hayter to be Snake.

Quoted post: What movies has he been a good guy, the only movies I can think of is Equilibrium and Silent Hill and in both his role were minor.

Lord of the Rings, which he was good in now that I think about it. But yeah, those two movies basically. He was a plank of wood in both.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;857278]Lord of the Rings, which he was good in now that I think about it. But yeah, those two movies basically. He was a plank of wood in both.
He was also a corpse in TLotR, aswell.. but a very nice actin' corpse.

His best role, that would make sense for a push towards the character of Liquid is 'Alec Trevelyan' (Agent 006), from Golden Eye.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Bad script does not equal best script.

Lol because that's exactly what I said amirite? When it comes to production of a filme the script that is chosen and worked with is the best in the eyes of the film maker. Seriously, what part of this do you not understand?

[quote=Fate]It means crappy scriptwriters and lack of resources
You have to be very talented and skilled to write a screenplay. Don't forget that just because a film is bad it doesn't mean everyone involved isn't skilled or creative. Even **** films have had a long, hard creative process behind it.
Lack of resources? In what way? They can't afford to buy the games? A production company is incapable of speaking to people who made the game?

[quote=Fate]Seriously, millions of dollars are wasted EVERY DAY
Come again Geldof? How can you waste money my making a film on a highly successful video game serious? If anything that's guannteed profit! Probably the only secure money making move in the film industry next to a Shrek movie.

Seany Beany was good in LOTR. Then he went bad for a bit.

Justin Chatwin for Solid Snake :rock:

Posted by Tyler Durden

:cookie: Fancy meeting you here, BB.
Have you been typing while intoxicated, again?!

I never said Mr. Bean was a bad actor, he just tends to land roles that die off. What can I say, he's very good at being a corpse.

Justin Chatwin spells imminent fail for MGS. Besides, my balls have more fur on them than his entire face. And I shave.. and Canadians can't rock a mullet/beard combination, with a headband to boot. It's common sense.

Edit: the film better have mullet/beard Snake, or NO-GO THERE.

Posted by Pit

you guys and your metal gear, you guys should be focusing on the yellow dude who deserves his own movie, the pac man.

Quoted post: Lol because that's exactly what I said amirite? When it comes to production of a filme the script that is chosen and worked with is the best in the eyes of the film maker. Seriously, what part of this do you not understand?

All they had to do was get someone with talent to write their film, not just pick the best of the worst. Not to mention a lot of these terrible video game movies are just cash-in and the filmmakers really don't seem to care.

Quoted post: You have to be very talented and skilled to write a screenplay. Don't forget that just because a film is bad it doesn't mean everyone involved isn't skilled or creative. Even **** films have had a long, hard creative process behind it.
Lack of resources? In what way? They can't afford to buy the games? A production company is incapable of speaking to people who made the game?

You don't have to be talented. You just have to be able to write. A **** film likely has a ****ty screenplay which was likely written by someone with a poor history.

and lack of resources as in money.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: All they had to do was get someone with talent to write their film, not just pick the best of the worst.

Whoever they chose, hire, fire, re-hire, comission, get work submitted, whatever, it doesnt matter because at the end of the day until the producer and/or directer is happy with the script it will be revised, editted, drafted, thrown out, brought back in whatever. When a directer and/or producer are happy enough to turn a script into film it is the best one for them to capture their vision and aims, otherwise they would use older drafts. And when it comes to effectivly getting across the directers vision that should be the thought process behind it. Whos creditted as writer should not be an issue. At this stage what the audience will perceive as the 'best' ending, start, whatever is irrelevant as we're not part of the production.

[quote]Not to mention a lot of these terrible video game movies are just cash-in and the filmmakers really don't seem to care.

Alot of movies are cash ins, however its dumb to think all people who work on video game adaptaion films dont 'care'. Getting into the film industry takes experience and creativity. You can't exactly make a film and not 'care'. I take it you've never made a film? Uwe Boll cares alot for instance, even though he's rubbish. Quality of film does not equal how much a film maker 'cares'.

[quote]You don't have to be talented. You just have to be able to write

You need to be talented to make a good script. Good enough to be turned into a film anyway.

[quote]A **** film likely has a ****ty screenplay which was likely written by someone with a poor history.

****ty scripts are made by veterans, and newbies make great scripts all the time so how extensive your writing history is is irrelevant.

It takes alot of skill, talent and dedication to even get a scipt finished, let alone optioned and comissioned. Even though a film can come out bad everyone involved has alot of creativity and experience. You seem to forget that even ****ty films go through the same creative process as good films. Uwe Boll appraches the pre-production, production, and post-prodution stages in the same creative and professional way as Kubrick, Spileberg and Tarintino, and anyone else does. Even if the end result differs.

[quote]and lack of resources as in money.

If you mean resources as money than how does a script become bad, or a screenwriter bad, if imagination is free? Unless you mean budget problems needing change to script which is unfair as thats a problem or production dumped on the writer which he/she shouldnt have to worry about.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;857365]:cookie: Fancy meeting you here, BB.
Have you been typing while intoxicated, again?!

What?

[quote]I never said Mr. Bean was a bad actor,

I never said you did. What?

What?

Quoted post: Whoever they chose, hire, fire, re-hire, comission, get work submitted, whatever, it doesnt matter because at the end of the day until the producer and/or directer is happy with the script it will be revised, editted, drafted, thrown out, brought back in whatever. When a directer and/or producer are happy enough to turn a script into film it is the best one for them to capture their vision and aims, otherwise they would use older drafts. And when it comes to effectivly getting across the directers vision that should be the thought process behind it. Whos creditted as writer should not be an issue. At this stage what the audience will perceive as the 'best' ending, start, whatever is irrelevant as we're not part of the production.

Anyone can tell the scripts they pick and the scripts they end up with are terrible, awful choices to represent the source. They're not even trying.

Quoted post: Alot of movies are cash ins, however its dumb to think all people who work on video game adaptaion films dont 'care'. Getting into the film industry takes experience and creativity. You can't exactly make a film and not 'care'. I take it you've never made a film? Uwe Boll cares alot for instance, even though he's rubbish. Quality of film does not equal how much a film maker 'cares'.

Boll got paid by the german government whether his film was a success or not. All he had to do was put the minimum amount of effort and resources into it and he still got enough cash to make him happy. If they cared they'd make a better movie. If they were experienced and creative they would make a better movie. They would not continually make bad film after bad film. That's not creative and that doesn't show experience.

Quoted post: You need to be talented to make a good script. Good enough to be turned into a film anyway.

No you don't. Aliens 3 is a good example of this. They turned down a script everyone wanted to use a relatively bad script. Not to mention all the other ****ty scripts that get turned into movies.

as for the rest, I don't see how you consider finishing a piece of writing talent. I can finish a complex dance piece, doesn't mean I wasn't terrible at it.

And she said bad script and lack of resources. As in both of those help make a terrible video game movie.

This argument is stupid and so is your opinion. Get back on topic.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Bebop;857579]What?

I never said you did. What?

What?
Can I choke you?

What?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Anyone can tell the scripts they pick and the scripts they end up with are terrible, awful choices to represent the source. They're not even trying.

You don't know anything about the people who've made the films so saying they're not trying is a foolish statement. If you'd ever made a film before you'd understand.
Like I said if the script suited their vision then to them it's the best, even if the audience disagrees.

[quote]Boll got paid by the german government whether his film was a success or not. All he had to do was put the minimum amount of effort and resources into it and he still got enough cash to make him happy. If they cared they'd make a better movie. If they were experienced and creative they would make a better movie. They would not continually make bad film after bad film. That's not creative and that doesn't show experience.

Boll doesnt get paid. He gets funding. Difference. The rest of the funding comes from him personally. That alone I think is merit of 'caring'.
I agree that Boll is inexperienced and not creative, and should stop, but with Boll I was saying he does care. He's always talking about how he wants to capture the feel of the game in the film, his fanservice, the t-shirts he wears etc. His heart is in the right place but unfortunatly his films are pap. Like I said before; quality end product isnt a good measure of how respectful the film maker was to an original source (if any).

[quote]No you don't. Aliens 3 is a good example of this. They turned down a script everyone wanted to use a relatively bad script. Not to mention all the other ****ty scripts that get turned into movies.

What is your source that they intentionally used a bad script? I demand proof.

Loads of crap becomes films but you need a remote amount of skill and talent to even get that far. The knowledge of format, the 3 act structure, the pinch, inciting incidents, everything else!: all these things make a film work and are incorperated into scripts from Pulp Fiction to Good Luck Chuck. Remember I said 'good enough'. Take any Parid Hilton film. Now we know they are bad but even to meet the requirments of a passable script the writer needs to be 'good enough'.

[quote]as for the rest, I don't see how you consider finishing a piece of writing talent. I can finish a complex dance piece, doesn't mean I wasn't terrible at it.

Shame you would rather focus on one word I used rather than my actual point.

To repeat myself: a lack of writing history doesnt mean a script writer will be bad because veterans make turkies, and newbies hit the scene, all the time.

[quote]And she said bad script and lack of resources. As in both of those help make a terrible video game movie.

I thought she meant something to do with resources for the script, not production, seeing as we were talking about the writing stage.

[quote]This argument is stupid and so is your opinion. Get back on topic.

The guy who thinks the name of the writer is a bigger deal than the quality of the script, is telling me that my opinion is stupid? Thats rich.

ANYWAY!

Why doesnt David Hayter play Snake? Give him a few workouts and he's good to go. No one knows how to play the character of Snake better than him, and the fan service would hit the roof.

Quoted post: The guy who thinks the name of the writer is a bigger deal than the quality of the script, is telling me that my opinion is stupid? Thats rich.

Only thing I read, which proves to me that I don't need to read anything else simply because I didn't even imply that. Way to read. End of subject.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Only thing I read, which proves to me that I don't need to read anything else simply because I didn't even imply that. Way to read. End of subject.

You've said the quality of the script doesnt matter because film makers don't care. I've taken the liberty of sizing down your generalisations, and at every point you've brought up during I've taken down.

You were wrong to think the film makers don't use the best available scripts because it is within their power to get it. You were wrong to think film makers dont care because if you've made a film (which you clearly haven't) you'd understand. You were wrong to think that even scripts the audience think are bad are effortless affairs because it still requires a degree of skill, epxerience and talent to even produce those awful scripts, and it likely the writer was very passionate and focused on their work for whatever reason whether that be to make a good film, or be good enough to get a pay cheque. You were wrong to think Boll gets payment by his government for his films which is not true, which demontrates how little you know about production of his films, and combined with everything else you've been saying, demonstrates how little you know of the film process. You were wrong. I was right. If you don't know about how films are made don't talk about them. Chalk another one up for B'.

Also waiting for that Alien 3 proof.

Quoted post: You've said the quality of the script doesnt matter because film makers don't care. I've taken the liberty of sizing down your generalisations, and at every point you've brought up during I've taken down.

What does that have to do with the writer vs. the quality of the script.

Didn't read paragraph.

Alien 3 was meant to take place on earth with Newt and Hicks alive, not in some ****ty prisin. Pretty well known, shouldn't be hard to find.

But yeah, I'm deleting anything further on the subject since this is mega gay. Start a new thread about it if you really care.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;857893]But yeah, I'm deleting anything further on the subject since this is mega gay. Start a new thread about it if you really care.

So yeah-
how abouts that David Hayter character, eh?

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Tyler Durden: So yeah-
how abouts that David Hayter character, eh?

He has grown chubby

Posted by Tyler Durden

For a minute there, I thought you were explicitly claiming he makes you grow a chubby..