The Movement to Impeach President George W. Bush.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_to_impeach_George_W._Bush]LINK[/url]

The article is really long, so I'll sum up what I got from it.

The 35 article resolution was introduced by [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Kucinich]Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D- OH)[/url] on June 9, 2008. It was co-sponsored by Congressman Robert Wexler (D- FL) the next day.

The resolution was referred to the House Judiciary Committee.

The resolution itself cites several instances in which President Bush and Vice President Cheney failed to fulfill their Oath of Office. Some examples:

The campaign before the invasion of Iraq to convince the American People that Iraq was a serious threat. Before the invasion in 2003, we were told that Saddam Hussein supported Al Qaeda. We have since learned that they despised his regime and considered him an infidel.

The alleged politicization of the Department of Justice, including the firing of several U.S. Attorneys based on their political loyalty, and the discovery of e-mails and other messages indicating the political motivation for the firings.

The commutation of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_%22Scooter%22_Libby]Lewis "Scooter" Libby[/url]'s 30 month prison sentence after being convicted of perjury and obstruction of justice, resulting from the leaking of the identity of CIA Operative [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Plame]Valerie Plame Wilson[/url].

The failure to quickly and adequately respond to Hurricane Katrina in August 2005.

Anyway, the leaders of both parties in the House have said they won't be pursuing the impeachment of President Bush. The resolution probably won't pass at any point, but the points made in it are still pretty amazing.

This doesn't mean that a new Department of Justice won't be allowed to prosecute President Bush and Vice President Cheney after they leave office. If Obama is elected, it's possible that he'll have his DoJ look into it, but it's unlikely.

If you get a chance, listen to the Clerk or Kucinich himself reading the resolution. It's a wonder that it won't pass in either house and can't find any support. Obama won't support it because then he'd destroy any chance of winning Republican votes in November.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Honestly, I wish the resolution would pass. Technically, Bush and Cheney have a lot to answer for. Since Scott McLellan released his book, it's become increasingly clear that the invasion of Iraq was based on lies. What's more, there was information that would've suggested invading Iraq was unnecessary and that information was never brought to light until recently. Essentially, the Bush Administration knew that there was no really great reason to invade Iraq, but twisted the information to convince us that we needed to do it.

I guess that begs a question: What was the real reason for Bush sending our troops to Iraq? According to Scott McLellan, Bush's intentions were good. He actually thought that the people there hated Saddam, and that, if freed, would embrace freedom and become a model nation for neighboring Middle-Eastern nations. They'd be a beacon of Democracy that would lead other nations to follow in their footsteps and thus spreading democracy to a part of the world that is lacking it.

While this goal is good and noble, it is not the goal that we were told of when the war was being 'sold' to us. Probably because the American people wouldn't be interested in such a venture. So instead of being told about Bush's dreams of a free Iraq, we were told that they had WMDs, they supported Al Qaeda, and possibly would attack us in the near future.

I've also heard that Cheney was in it for other reasons, more sinister, money-related reasons, you know, because he's an oil tycoon in addition to being Vice President. I don't know about those allegations. They're detailed in Kucinich's resolution.

I do hope that this resolution passes and that the President has to answer some questions about this war. Whether his intentions were good or not, it has cost hundreds of billions of dollars and over 4,000 American troops, and it's not exactly slowing down these days, in cost of life or money. I don't want to see Bush tried in Nuremburg or anything. I just want to send a message to our leaders that if they lie to us like this, we'll catch them and they'll have to pay for it. All Americans are subject to punishment when they break laws, and I don't think that the President should be an exception. Nor should Scooter Libby, but he didn't have to serve time in prison for a very serious crime. I know people who have committed much less severe crimes and been sentenced to years in prison. Libby got off easy, and it seems like Bush will too. Which means that future Presidents will feel comfortable doing similar things to the American people, knowing that they won't be getting into any real trouble.

The reason why nothing will come of this resolution is because any Congressman or Senator who pushes this bill is likely to not get re-elected when their term is up. And these days, people get elected to Congress for life. They just get re-elected over and over until they retire. So they're afraid to do anything gutsy because of the possibility of political backlash. Even if their constituency would want them to take action, they still refuse, which defeats the whole idea of representatives.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Sad that nobody has the balls to look into things like this.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

It's not only sad, it's also heading down a very dangerous path.

Every elected official needs to keep in mind that if they fail to do their jobs as well as we want them to, we will remove them from that job.

If it's true that George W. Bush wanted to overthrow Saddam for the good of the Iraqi people and eventually, the rest of the region, then you have to consider a few things.

First of all, that's a great thing to strive toward. The Middle-East is in disarray and if there was a way to settle things down, it would improve the quality of life for all in the region. So if Bush really went into Iraq for those reasons, it's cool that he personally cares about the world and has dreams of a more peaceful world.

If he, at any point in his life, decides to act on his dreams of a free and peaceful Middle-East, there are proper ways to go about it.

When he took the office of the President, he took an oath. And at no point in that oath did he mention freeing oppressed people from their oppressors.

So, look at it this way. We were told that we were in danger from Iraq, and that's why we invaded. Then it's revealed that we were in no immediate danger, and that the Bush Administration was pretty aware of this. So what was their real motivation? Saving the world from oppressive dictators? Maybe so, but even if that's the case, it's still wrong.

It's not the President's job to worry about an evil dictator on the other side of the world who isn't threatening us.

We need to remind all elected officials that we elect them for specific reasons, and when they use the power we give for anything other than doing the things we want them to do, they will be caught and held accountable for it. Presidents should be no exception. If we allow Bush to lie us into a $300 billion mess that has already taken the lives of over 4,000 American troops, we're giving future politicians the permission to do the same.

Remember the real reason why the second amendment is in our constitution. It's not there to protect hunters or sportsmen. It's there to remind our government that we will always maintain the capacity to remove them if they fail us, and our processes of removal don't seem to work. They have to remember that we, the people, are in control.

Posted by Zeta

I assume most people just think "Well their term is almost up, what's the point of impeaching them?"

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

That's what I think. Though it'd be even funnier to see him impeached so close to his term being up.

Posted by Slade

If he's impeached, then will they stop building that big propaganda center they have planned in his name? 'Cause I'd like that.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Is it a library or something? I think that'd be a great ironic name to have it named after if it's some sortof library.

Posted by Slade

His aides have referred to it as a library, but it's the only library that censors and controls its own material in order to make a certain person look good that I've ever heard of.

But yeah, if you look at it being completely honest about what it really is, it's pretty funny. The fact that many people won't realize what it is, though, is frightening.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

too little, too late

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: too little, too late

It's not often that I get the honor of agreeing with Mr. Beejowitz, so when the opportunity presents itself, I will seize it with great ferocity and ferocious greatness.

EDIT: I just remember that one time, LoS called you "Lord Beejington". I should've gone with that. Much less Jewy than what I chose.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Blasktein?

Posted by S

As a movement of good faith, I think it'd be a good idea. I'd want him to go down as the first president ever impeached, because he's that ****ing moronic. The major reason for this goes along with what Fei-on said, it sets the standard for how far we can be pushed without consequence.

And I fear the day that someone trumps Bush on the anally ****ing the world race.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were both impeached.

Posted by mis0

[QUOTE=S

Wasn't he impeached and they were all like "lol nevermind" and he just went on being president anyways?

Posted by S

Huh. Well, the more you know I suppose. For some reason I was under the impression that Nixon was the closest to being impeached but it never went through.

I retract out of ignorance then.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

impeachment and removal are two different things.

Posted by Speedfreak

What was Clinton impeached for? Did he do something other than get a blowjob?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Uh, nope. That was pretty much the gist of it.

lol america

Quoted post: What was Clinton impeached for? Did he do something other than get a blowjob?

perjury

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;856942]Uh, nope. That was pretty much the gist of it.

lol america

...are you serious? That's it? Wasn't it a technicality like he lied under oath or something?

EDIT: Alright then, second question. Why the hell was he in court for getting a blowjob?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;857172]...are you serious? That's it? Wasn't it a technicality like he lied under oath or something?
... About blowjobs.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Speedfreak: EDIT: Alright then, second question. Why the hell was he in court for getting a blowjob?

Like vamp said, perjury. The impeachment was mainly politically motivated, however. It's pretty sad that the American people supposedly care that their president oh dear got a pizza and a bj from an intern, but when someone has led our country into a conflict under false pretenses, that's okay and impeachment should be "off the table".

It makes me angry. I don't care if Mr. Bush and his administration were intentionally misleading or not; even if it just boils down to stupidity on his part, he deserves punishment for being stupid. His actions have ****ed away trillions of dollars and extinguished thousands of American, Afghani, and Iraqi lives. He ought to be held responsible.

Posted by Skitzo Control

You've all seen Monica Lewinsky. Wouldn't you lie about sleeping with her? I know I would.
---
They can impeach W. after his terms, if they want to. He'll no longer be paid by the government (former Presidents continue to be paid until death) and he will no longer recieve full protection from Secret Service. Seems to be a good idea.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting mis0: Like vamp said, perjury. The impeachment was mainly politically motivated, however. It's pretty sad that the American people supposedly care that their president oh dear got a pizza and a bj from an intern, but when someone has led our country into a conflict under false pretenses, that's okay and impeachment should be "off the table".

It makes me angry. I don't care if Mr. Bush and his administration were intentionally misleading or not; even if it just boils down to stupidity on his part, he deserves punishment for being stupid. His actions have ****ed away trillions of dollars and extinguished thousands of American, Afghani, and Iraqi lives. He ought to be held responsible.

so you'd rather punish a man for being stupid than being deceitful? Makes sense.

And lest we forget, Bill's hands aren't completely free of blood. I remember Bill Clinton warned the country that Saddam Hussein was developing nuclear weapons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton#Military_and_foreign_events

if you look there, you'll also notice that Clinton authorized the bombings of Iraq, Yugoslavia, and the failed peacekeeping invasion of Haiti. You've all seen blackhawk down. You all remember the scenes of fighting in Kosovo. Hell, even Michael Moore, in "Bowling for Columbine", acknowledged that Bill Clinton's administration was just as guilty as Bush's when it came to meddling and making war. I'm not saying Bush is a saint, but I AM saying that Clinton wasn't one either.

But Clinton was cute and a sly fox and made you say "OH THAT GUY, WHAT A GUY" so you couldn't stay mad at him.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's true. To this day, I cannot stay mad at him. I think it's why Hillary didn't leave him, also.

Posted by Skitzo Control

You have got to thank Clinton, too, for the simple fact that he gave the comic community so many jokes at his expense.

Posted by WillisGreeny

When it comes to the comic community, I'm pretty sure Bush has overtaken Clinton's contributions.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I really disagree, as far as "good" comedy goes. Margaret Cho? Not a good comedian, but she doesn't stop making fun of Bush. Lewis Black? Excellent comedian, and Clinton is the butt of his jokes more often than any other president.
---
Back on topic!

The only problem with impeachment of Bush, at this point, is that it would more than likely result in his asassination. He would no longer have protection from the Secret Service, and there are millions of Americans that would be willing to put a bullet/knife/explosive in any orifice/soft spot on his body.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control;859083]and there are millions of Americans that would be willing to put a bullet/knife/explosive in any orifice/soft spot on his body.

Not likely, those liberal hippy pansies wouldn't hurt a fly, much less own a gun!

Posted by G-Sides

there're more than hippies against bush :S my 92 year old great great grandmother has only voted republican in all the races she's voted in and she's openly told me the george bush is a "big eared fool" and "might as well fall into a ditch."

man, could your grandma be anymore grandma?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: man, could your grandma be anymore grandma?

quoted for hilarity

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'm not saying that impeaching Bush will solve any of the problems he's created. He'll be leaving office soon anyway, so the goal is not to get him out of office. The goal is to remind our leaders that they are subject to the same set of laws as the rest of us.

Look at Scooter Libby. He did some messed up stuff, involving the leak of the identity of Valerie Plame. He did way worse than most criminals that I know of.

And the lies that the led to this war have done far worse than the average convict could ever imagine. When a guy gets caught making meth available to another person (in AZ), he'll spend no less than 5 years in prison. He doesn't even have to sell. He may just give away a little bit to a "friend" or something along those lines. Or make a phone call for that "friend" to arrange acquiring some drugs. And that guy will get 5 minimum, 10 presumptive, 15 maximum for each count. But the Bush Administration lies to the American people, convincing us to support a war in Iraq which has cost $300 billion and over 4,000 lives, not to mention what this occupation has done for our image in the rest of the world.

I'm not suggesting anything about drug enforcement laws, so please don't start on that issue. All I'm saying is that crime is crime. One set of criminals (the ones more like all of us) will get caught, punished excessively and so forth. The other group of criminals will get their sentences commuted, or their crimes overlooked out of convenience.

I wanna see Bush prosecuted to remind all of our elected officials that if they deceive us, or do things that we did not elect them to do, we'll get them. Just like our justice system will catch a drug dealer, it should also catch politicians and the like.

Posted by Lord of Spam

It saddens me that this even needs to be debated. there is a proponderance of eivdence to prove his guilt, yet nothing has come of it. Wake the **** up, america. :/

Quoting Speedfreak: Not likely, those liberal hippy pansies wouldn't hurt a fly, much less own a gun!

speaking at a liberal hippy pansy, im trained on the m9 9mmpistol, mossberg 500 shotgun, and m16 assualt rifle, and plan to buy a gun once im living in my own pplace. dont let stereotypes run your life ;)

Posted by Drewboy64

clinton lies about getting a bj, gets impeached.
bush lies about everything, doesn't get impeached.

is that pretty much true?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it just goes that republicans get **** done (impeached with a republican congress) hah

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: it just goes that republicans get **** done (impeached with a republican congress) hah

You're right, to a point.

You see, if evidence had surfaced indicating that President Bush had committed perjury as a result of lieing about having sex, I'll bet the dems would jump all over it. It's an easy win for anyone who is not a Republican.

But if you're trying to impeach the President on some serious and messed up stuff like using lies to convince our country to go to war, thus costing us thousands of lives and hundreds of billions of dollars, well, that's not an easy win. No prominent politician on either side would get behind such a movement. It's too risky, politically. You'll lose votes for your re-election campaign. If you're Barack Obama, you'll lose so many moderate and cross-over votes that you'll lose the general election.

If there were term limits for legislators, you wouldn't see this problem. If something needed to be done, a Senator or Congressman would simply do it. They wouldn't worry about playing it safe in hopes of making a career out of being in Congress. They'd stand up for what they believe in and try to represent their constituencies, regardless of the political ramifications.

[quote=Drewboy64]clinton lies about getting a bj, gets impeached.
bush lies about everything, doesn't get impeached.

is that pretty much true?

Sure, because one isn't that big of a deal. It's the same reason that we'll call out guys like Mark Foley or Larry Craig, but we'll ignore the wrongdoing of a guy like Dick Cheney or Scooter Libby. Because guys cheating on their wives or being secretly gay is inconsequential light-hearted mistakes. It's easier to swallow a comical issue than a seriously dark one. The serious issues like lies leading us to war or leaking the identity of an agent like Valerie Plame or firing U.S. Attorneys for political reasons... These things are scary. They make us doubt that our government is functioning properly. Confronting them isn't popular amongst most groups.

Posted by specopssv44

Adultry is a crime and federal/government employees can get punished pretty harshly for it. Ive seen Marines loose rank, and ruin otherwise promising carrers for "just getting a blowjob".

that being said, John McCain is definatly getting my vote, but no surprise there i guess.

Quoted post: Adultry is a crime and federal/government employees can get punished pretty harshly for it. Ive seen Marines loose rank, and ruin otherwise promising carrers for "just getting a blowjob".

quite a few thing bush's government is doing is also considered a crime...

Posted by WillisGreeny

Wha- wha- what? Because you can lose your job in the military for doing it, that's what makes adultry wrong? How about bull ****ting the American people into going to war? I've seen Marines lose lives, and ruin otherwise promising lives for Bush.

I didn't realize Adultry was a "crime", since the idea of state prosecuters going after adulterers is just too funny, and sad; considering all the other **** our court system has to deal with, that really shouldn't be on the list. Can you just imagin an NYPD blue, or CSI episode involved in stake outs having nothing to do with homicide, but cheating husbands?

"Grissum, It's time to close this case and find out who that dead girl is that washed up on the beach yesturday"

"No, ****it, that **** can wait. Right now lets focus our energy on capturing that cheating basturd."

Having taken a more careful look at the State laws, it's not about getting blow jobs. Basically, some laws want people to actually divorce before moving on to other women/men, Continuing the tradition of keeping marriages monogamous. For those that break the laws (Which I coudn't find a "Federal Law" for citizens), the adultry cases resulted in little to no jail time for the cheater, with fines being pretty much equivalent to a parking ticket.

Seems to me the military are just tight wads, wanting poster men that are married, conservative, and unopinionated....big surprise.

Posted by specopssv44

before we get off on the whole blame bush rampage bull**** rember that it took a vote to go to Iraq. It wasnt one mans choice

Posted by S

Maybe it's my best friend (Air Force Reserves.) blowing smoke up my ***, but can't you also be reprimanded in the military for having sex in any other position than missionary?

Posted by Lord of Spam

technically yes, but the wording is kinda murky. it almost seems like its only bad if you're on the catching end. so feel free if youre a guy to put it anywhere you want, but *** help you if youre a chick.

*** bless america.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=specopssv44;878326]before we get off on the whole blame bush rampage bull**** rember that it took a vote to go to Iraq. It wasnt one mans choice

Let's blame the people who were lied to, not the liar. Great logic. Personally, I blame the voters.

Well I got a good laugh out of spec's logic.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Oh well, his term is up, what's da point of impeaching him now??!! Time to work on impeaching Saddam Hussein, I mean da other terrorist, Barack Hussein!! :D

To ruin whatever little reputation he has left for the rest of time.

Posted by junior senior

lock thread?

You can still impeach a president after he's out of office

Posted by WillisGreeny

Get rid of his title, aswell as the secret service.

they'll be gone in ten years anyways