RPG Console Wars

Posted by Inferno

I've been out of the gaming community for a while now. I just got bored with it and I didn't have to money to buy any of the current generation consoles. Well, that is up until now. I want to buy either a PS3, an Xbox 360, or a Wii. I just don't know which one to get.

I guess when it comes down to it, I love RPGs. I always have. I need a system that has a good collection of good RPGs or I will just be annoyed with my purchase. That's where you guys come in. I haven't heard much of anything about any RPGs that have come out for any of the three new consoles.

What's the RPG world looking like these days? I don't even know if Final Fantasy is still exclusive or not. I actually have no idea what exclusives still exist. Keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about the gaming world right now. If you had to make this choice based solely on the RPG library, what would you choose and why? Enlighten me.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Found this page. Seems pretty accurate and lists the scores of games already out:

http://www.digitalmagazine.com.au/2008/05/26/two-times-more-2008-09-rpgs-on-xbox-360-than-ps3/

See which games you prefer from the bunch and choose the console that suits you.

Posted by Inferno

Fantastic, thank you. Now if anyone wants to comment on their own opinions about these games that would be awesome. It seems like it might be an interesting debate. People usually compare consoles based on overall game library and system performance. I want to see what people prefer based solely on RPGs.

Well, for upcoming exclusives, it's tough to say. I'm personally looking forward to Fable more than I am Final Fantasy, and Disgaea 2 was a pretty big disappointment for me, so I can't say D3 is high up on my radar. However White Knight is, but so is the new Tales game. The latter more so than the former. And both consoles have Fallout 3, so hey, that's good. As for current RPGs currently out, well, the 360 wins in this case, but not by a whole lot.

Posted by Zaith

I guess it depends on the type of Rpg you like Right now If your more into the JRPG turn based still of fighting I'd go with The ps3 but if you like games more real time I'd go with the 360 for mass effect and Oblivion which is also on PS3 whatever you do do not get two worlds I have to say it is probably the worst game I've ever played.

Posted by Speedfreak

I really want the Crystal Bearers game coming for Wii, and to be honest that's the only one I care about unless they announce Golden Sun 3 or a proper Dragon Quest. I find most JRPGs aimed at the PlayStation crowd to be pretty loathsome and full of thoroughly irritating characters, and WRPGs just go nuts with the character customisation. I guess Wii might be the middle ground between the two, it's definately the best fit for old school JRPGs. I certainly couldn't recommend it as an RPG platform on it's own since it's relying pretty much on games that haven't been announced or we know too little of.

Quoted post: it's definately the best fit for old school JRPGs.

Disagreed. They should run with this whole My Life as a King thing. Something with a tad more depth, more interactivity but not as... trite and long-winded as the typical JRPG gets.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;860973]but not as trite and long-winded as the typical JRPG gets.

Amen. My Life As A King was such an unexpected treat. Hope Square Enix takes note, and applies similar elements to their future designs.

Posted by Shade

AND THE 360 SWOOPS IN WITH FFXIII TO TAKE THE LEAD

Posted by psymoub09

Im not sure if this is just meant to be for HORSE RPGs... but I was wondering if anyone knew 0of any STAR WARS RPGs?? --yes, Im a SW geek

Thx

Kimxx

Posted by elder scrolls fan123

i guess if u want a good rpg console u should pick the xbox360 because it has fallout,elder scrolls and many others