The Programming Thread

Posted by Inferno

Any software programmers out there? Anyone interested in learning? There's really a whole mess of topics to talk about but I thought I would just keep it open to anything. I just figured this forum needed something other than hardware/software problem threads.

If you do program, what kind of stuff do you work on? I don't really do much with it in my free time because I have yet to find something that interests me enough to put the time and effort into it. Right now I'm working for a law application company that takes pretty much every law case and document known to the U.S. judicial system and makes them accessible to lawyers and whatnot. Currently I'm in charge of designing an in-house web application that will allow users to see the status off a program that updates files in the company's database. At first I was doing it with GWT which was turning out to be amazing, but they frowned on that and told me to do it with Java Server Faces. I have to say it's kind of a pain and I don't really care for it all that much.

On an unrelated note, would anyone be interested in collaborating together to work on some random project. I was thinking about making an Oblivion mod or something and it would be cool if other people were interested in jumping in on that. It would definitely be a good entry point into the world of game programming.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

I tried to learn it but I just got so bored with it that I dropped the classes half a semester through. Couple that with my short attention span and my restlessness and it ended up not being such a good combination. I would still love to learn one of these days though.

Posted by dadudemon

I'm taking a Java class right now. We're just starting to get into the useful programming. (You know, learning enough to make a useful program.)

I have a 107 in the class so far, but I expect that my grade will drastically change once we get into more complex programming. It get's quite tedious and confusing the mroe things you throw in.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

def thread[COLOR=Silver]****ti[/COLOR]ng(ThisThread, Sucks):[INDENT]If 'ThisThread' == 'Sucks':
[/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]end
[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT]Else:[INDENT]print 'ok this thread is pretty cool'

[/INDENT][/INDENT]threa[COLOR=Silver]d****ti[/COLOR]ng()

Posted by dadudemon

[quote=The X;891668]def thread[COLOR=Silver]****ti[/COLOR]ng(ThisThread, Sucks):[INDENT]If 'ThisThread' == 'Sucks':
[/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]end
[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT]Else:[INDENT]print 'ok this thread is pretty cool'

[/INDENT][/INDENT]threa[COLOR=Silver]d****ti[/COLOR]ng()

So confused.

how about...

/**********************
This program is about sucky threads
**********************/

public class suckythreads
{

public static void main(String[] args)
{

System.out.print ("This thread sucks.");
}
}

Posted by Dexter

What's something good to program for a beginner?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

get IDLE (the python GUI) and i'll talk you through some serious DOPE HACKS

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=dadudemon;893930]So confused.

how about...

/**********************
This program is about sucky threads
**********************/

public class suckythreads
{

public static void main(String[] args)
{

System.out.print ("This thread sucks.");
}
}
java is for scrubs

Posted by Red

I'm learning visual basic in school.

I wish we could learn C or something useful though.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

if java is for scrubs, visual basic is for downs kids

also C is only fun if you enjoy POINTING TO BITS IN MEMORY

Posted by Red

yes.
visual basic is just annoying, and stupid.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

you get to draw the program window, that's kinda fun

Posted by Lordess_Nerevar

I'm currently working on a degree for programming video games. I just spent a semester learning C. Pointing to bits in memory, indeed. We'll be moving on to C++ next semester thankfully.

However, there is nothing, I repeat, there is nothing worse than Assembly. I was forced to learn this for a semester as well. Working register, memory banks, ugh--makes me cry just thinking about it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

assembly owns, street fighter 2 was coded in it and... it owns

Posted by pkt

Well I'm learning a bit of C++ in my spare time. I know about 3d modeling if it matters any to that oblivion mod you mentioned. I'm always up for learning new things so if anyone here wants to teach me just give the word.