Tales of Vesperia

Posted by Alastor

[youtube=v2nbNcS3mcQ]v2nbNcS3mcQ[/youtube]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_vesperia]Wiki[/url]

Release: [JPN] August 8, 2008 - [NA] August, 2008 - [EUR] N/A

Some features.

[list]Improved version of Tales of the Abyss' battle system: Evolved Flex-Range Linear Motion Battle System
[*]"Burst Artes" system (See the Wiki.)
[*]"Encounter Linking" system
- Basically, should a particular enemy within the current battle session spot a roaming enemy walking about the field, the roaming enemy will also join the current battle.
[*]Players will be able to learn special skills through their equipment.
[*]Players will be able to use acquired material to create rare and unique equipment.
[*]There are special attacks that defeat non-boss enemies with a single blow if special button combinations are timed correctly.[/list]

Pretty excited about this. The first real next-gen Tales. The graphics are gorgeous, the English voice cast seems very well done, and the new features should add tons of depth to gameplay. Can't wait. There are several 360 games out already that I've been dying to play, but this one pretty much seals the deal. Time to save my pennies.

Posted by Kit

This mag says that the European release is in October. Gonna need confirmation though.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The voice acting spoils an otherwise beautiful game. :mad:

Posted by Alastor

The reason the NA one is so close to the JPN one is because Namco wants a near-simultaneous launch to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Tales series in America, or something like that.

What's wrong with the VAs? I thought all of them seemed great. The little boy is annoying, but... He's a little boy. He's supposed to be annoying, really. So his VA isn't bad, his character is.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Voice acting is adequate. But they're going a bit overboard with the Tales series as of late. But hey, they're good games and it's on the box, so I'll pick it up.

Posted by Alastor

Because Symphonia sold so well, I think. Abyss didn't for some reason, despite being better in nearly every way.

Though aside from this and Dawn of the New World, I don't know of any other Tales games set to release soon. There might be another DS one coming soon, but I haven't been paying attention, since none of the DS ones make it stateside.

Oh yeah, and does anyone recognize the voice for the guy with short, blonde hair? The guy who says, "What you're doing isn't right," and "You intend to dirty your hands..." I know I've heard that voice before somewhere, but I can't place it. The names for those actors hasn't been revealed yet, either, despite that being the official English trailer.

There's been, like, five games plus remakes and updates since Symphonia. That's quite a few!

Posted by #061402

"Barriers protect the lands in which we live." The city in the video reminds me of Baten Kaitos.

But, that game looked pretty swell... I know I liked Tales of Symphonia, so I might actually pick it up and see if I like this one too. But, October? Aw man...

Posted by Dexter

Graphically it doesn't look as good as Eternal Sonata. But do want.

Posted by Iris

[quote=Alastor;854240]
Oh yeah, and does anyone recognize the voice for the guy with short, blonde hair? The guy who says, "What you're doing isn't right," and "You intend to dirty your hands..." I know I've heard that voice before somewhere, but I can't place it. The names for those actors hasn't been revealed yet, either, despite that being the official English trailer.
Sounds like LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE

Don't have bawks, but if I ever do I'll definitely get this.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Iris: Sounds like LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE

Yuri Lowenthal? No, it's definitely not him... This is going to bug the hell out of me until Namco releases the cast. >=s

Quoted post: Graphically it doesn't look as good as Eternal Sonata. But do want.

Eternal Sonata sucked though, so whatever.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Dexter;854469]Graphically it doesn't look as good as Eternal Sonata. But do want.I think this looks better, actually.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Eternal Sonata sucked though, so whatever.

You suck.

Saweeeeeet, I was really scared that this wouldn't come stateside like the DS ones, but now I'm excited. I should really get Tales of the Abyss sometime soon, too.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting The X: I think this looks better, actually.

That's crazy. This almost looks on par with Tales of the Abyss to me.

Posted by Iris

It seems typical Tales in plotline and setting, but the graphics look just better than Abyss.

http://kotaku.com/5019059/tales-of-vesperia-gameplay-footage

Gameplay footage. looks better than abyss and Eternal Sonata to me.

Posted by #061402

I think it looks just about the same, just a little different style.

But man, whoever battled there sucked..

Posted by Shade

Not up with Eternal Sonata, but that's just style difference. Looks pretty **** good.

Posted by Dexter

There is a style difference and I'd say I liked the style of Eternal Sonata more. It just had a gorgeous appearance.

Better style = better looking.

Quoted post: But man, whoever battled there sucked..

That's not surprising. Whenever these guys capture footage of themselves playing it's usually played horribly. Just look at this:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35431.html
man, soooo bad. Love it.

Posted by Shade

He didn't do so bad once he got the Uzi.

Watch him on the rail gun in a later video. His buddy is getting absolutely mauled and he just stands there and lets him die. Then he looks over and his dead comrade and dies.

Posted by #061402

...Oh man. That was pathetic. I hope he was away from the controller when those zombies attacked him in the back.