More Shortage? Why, you sorry geek

Posted by Old_Snake

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168199

[quote]While Nintendo and its populist hardware platforms have certainly been one of the main beneficiaries of the casual gaming upsurge, the company has been extremely careful about not overtly offending anybody who might consider him or herself more of a hardcore gamer as they go about the business of selling millions of hardware units.

It's a big surprise therefore to hear the managing director of marketing for Nintendo Europe casually dismiss the Wii's lack of internal storage with an offhand diss at the hardcore gaming community. While speaking during a recent European WiiWare event (as reported on Next-Gen), Nintendo managing director Laurent Fischer made the assertion that expanded Wii storage was a feature "only geeks and otaku" would want Nintendo to address in future development.

Certainly this statement must annoy the likes of Square Enix, whose well-reviewed Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King takes up a full 287 blocks of Wii memory when loaded onto the console's hard drive. As many other companies (not to mention many new Wii owners) contemplate jumping onto the WiiWare bandwagon, the question of expanded storage will become a serious problem affecting not just the freaky and marginalized but companies and fans alike. Then again, maybe we're all just geeks and otaku.

I'm sure it wasn't really meant as a bad comment, per say, but I thought it was pretty funny. Ah, Nintendo, don't you know your kingdom was originally built on the geeks and otakus and the souls of babies?

Posted by S

Ouch. That one stings.

Posted by Alastor

I'll accept whatever label Nintendo wants to give me if it means being able to keep more than a handful of WiiWare/VC titles.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

NINTENDO I ****ING HATE YOU GUYS! *buys Super Mario World again*

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Nintendo Co. Ltd. knows better than to say things like this (now that the undead Lord Yamauchi is no longer running things). Nintendo of America, too. Why is it Nintendo Europe that's always the source of stupid statements like that?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

my mom wanted me to download a wiiware game that interested her and I was all "JEEZ I NEED THAT SPACE FOR GAME SAVES, ****!" and she doesn't even know what an otaku is. or even nintendo of europe for that matter...

Posted by Speedfreak

Lol NoE.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Only geeks and otaku want to play Brawl this year!

At least it works for everything.

only geeks and otakus hate friend codes
only geeks and otakus complain about lag and bad online services
only geeks and otakus want chat capabilities
only geeks and otakus want hardcore games

foolproof. cause really, how are you going to retort? Though the internet. And only geeks and otakus use the internet.

Posted by Ant

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. it's perfect!

Posted by Speedfreak

In fairness, does anyone here deny their geekdom?

What I don't get is a few weeks ago Nintendo published a report that said that most owners of Wiis are hardcore gamers (ie geeks and otakus).

Probably another case of NoE guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about because the rest of Nintendo keep him in the dark. There's been lots of hints recently that they will, in fact, make a hard drive. This is probably like the time the last head of NoE said there won't be a DS upgrade, and then DS Lite was announced the next day.

Posted by WillisGreeny

According to Malstrom, once you use the term casual gamer in describing Nintendo's success you lose all credability.

Posted by Alastor

[url=http://kotaku.com/5016274/nintendos-fischer-apologizes-for-geeks-and-otaku-comment]Looks like he apologized.[/url]

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;854370]According to Malstrom, once you use the term casual gamer in describing Nintendo's success you lose all credability.

I only use the terms to humour people ;)

Posted by #061402

Rather a geek than some "hardcore gamer." Being a hardcore gamer generally means you play WoW 19 hours a day and live in your parents' basement eating nothing but chips, fast food and the occasional mice that come by.

Quoted post: Rather a geek than some "hardcore gamer." Being a hardcore gamer generally means you play WoW 19 hours a day and live in your parents' basement eating nothing but chips, fast food and the occasional mice that come by.

Quoted post: a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person

a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

hardcore gamer sounds like the better option to me. Not that there's much of a difference amirite? hahahahahaha

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh man, geek shows sounded awwwwesome.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: hardcore gamer sounds like the better option to me. Not that there's much of a difference amirite? hahahahahaha

Well, when you put it that way, it does sound better.