My Town's being flooded.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[youtube=jyRZP6EQdJ0&feature=related]jyRZP6EQdJ0&feature=related[/youtube]

My mom is ****ed that I'm not sandbagging, even though I don't see her doing much. I've been trying to explain to her that playing through Chrono Trigger for the 233rd time is simply more important to me than rescuing stranger's homes out by the res. Also, I'm one of those guys who needs to be told what to do 99% of the time when doing volunteer work, which I just know would have ****ed off a bunch of people.

Incase you aren't familiar with the floods of 93, [URL="http://mo.water.usgs.gov/Reports/1993-Flood/"]here[/URL].

Posted by Ant

lol flooding? in summer? it doesn't rain during summer silly boy.

Posted by Arcadios

DROUGHTS

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Ant;852774]lol flooding? in summer? it doesn't rain during summer silly boy.

I break a lot of facets and tend not to tell anyone.

Posted by Poco

you're everything wrong with humanity. quit playing your jrpg, and help people out you faggot.

Posted by Roger Smith

Does anyone see the irony in this? Frog? Water element? Town facing imminent floodage?

I bol'd. pze no dei grreny :(

Posted by WillisGreeny

@poco: Nah, the game is too good.

Besides, they should have known there were risks for building next to a river. That, and with all the new housing developments all over town, I say they should be moving instead of saving.

[quote=RS]Does anyone see the irony in this? Frog? Water element? Town facing imminent floodage?

Water 2!!! *giggle*

Posted by Poco

Quoting WillisGreeny: @poco: Nah, the game is too good.

yes people are losing everything they have, maybe getting stranded. but no i have to play a crappy video game because im gay.- willis greeny

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Poco;852798]yes people are losing everything they have, maybe getting stranded. but no i have to play a crappy video game because im gay.- willis greeny

poco were you there for 9/11

were you there for katrina?

WERE YOU THERE WHEN SCIENTOLOGY NEEDED HELP FROM AN INTERNET THREAT!?

no no and no

face it poco

you're a hypotamuscrite, just like everybody else

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I second everything Poco has said.

Also, Philadelphia is hot as balls right now.

And yes, I did volunteer work during Andrew/Katrina/Tornadoes in Enterprise that destroyed the high school/Mission work in Mexico/beat Chrono Trigger, so no comments necessary about that. Man up and quit being such a little *****.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Now that Bj's posting, I might have to get serious. First off, I had considered helping on the first day, but after analysing the situation I decided it was probably going to be futile anyway.

There's two reasons why I'm really not helping:
1: People built their homes next to a river that has flooded before, so unless those people are idiots, it should all be insured.
2: The sandbag walls being constructed aren't high enough, so doing a **** load of labour that will prove futile is as useful as completing Chrono Trigger.

Helping for the sake of helping isn't my cup of tea.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Stalolin: poco were you there for 9/11

were you there for katrina?

WERE YOU THERE WHEN SCIENTOLOGY NEEDED HELP FROM AN INTERNET THREAT!?

no no and no

face it poco

you're a hypotamuscrite, just like everybody else

lol i was 11 when 9/11 hit broski. and katrina? i was living 2000 iles away at the time im sorry.

if something like this were happening in my backyard i would help.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Ant: lol flooding? in summer? it doesn't rain during summer silly boy.

It's not summer until June 21st.

Posted by Kal

Chrono Trigger is like the Best game ever to be on the face of this earth, good enough reason to not help.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I wonder if the city council has privy to the wealth of information provided by Willis's uneducated guess concerning the futility of this project. I'm sure their collective minds are nowhere near to the educational level of city planning, construction, and disaster relief/prevention provided by this kid and his Chrono Trigger skills. You should do it simply because your mother told you to and you're not paying your own rent.

Posted by mis0

That's the American neighborly spirit for you!

Posted by Zeta

[spoiler]Lavos caused the flood[/spoiler].

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz;852917]I wonder if the city council has privy to the wealth of information provided by Willis's uneducated guess concerning the futility of this project. I'm sure their collective minds are nowhere near to the educational level of city planning, construction, and disaster relief/prevention provided by this kid and his Chrono Trigger skills. You should do it simply because your mother told you to and you're not paying your own rent.

They estimate a three foot rise, while most of the sandbag walls will be 2 1/2. Willis's educated guess is that of what the engineers have said, genius. btw, the city council is concerned about the water supply and other various projects, not just private homes. People who are sandbagging aren't directly being coached by experts, they're asking for assistance. Difference get? The people who are wanting to sandbag their home's perimeter are doing so in hopes that the estimates of rain fall are way too high. The experts that actually know what they're doing are making much bigger walls at the water treatment plant and other buildings, so you can see why I think the whole thing is dumb, right? I've looked into it, my mom hasn't, and clearly, you haven't either.

And obviously you're not aware of the arrangment I have with my parents. Has it occured to you that you can live with your parents and still pay rent? doh.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

yeah, when I was ass****ing your mom, I forgot to ask what your arrangements were. I'll mention them to her next time and suggest a fee hike :)

So I assume then, my little engineering marvel, that you are helping sandbag the the water treatment plant and other municipal buildings, or finding out ways to help the city in other ways, seeing as how these buildings affect you AND your neighbors? Or are you, as we all still and have suspected, a lazy little ****? You should still do what your parents ask, as I'm pretty sure your "arrangement" doesn't involve (go ahead and deny/lie it away; I expect you to) you actually paying all of the bills you would be required to pay were you living on your own (or a full amount of rent)

Posted by WillisGreeny

The water treatment plant doesn't need volunteers, otherwise that would be where I'd help. The volunteers are for sandbagging private homes. Anything else you'd like to presume about the situation? You're trying to show how I'm "lazy" for not helping, but the truth is the "help" isn't going to stop anything, so it's dumb. The volunteers are being asked by people requesting help, not from some city ran relief effort for public buildings, and not from people who are experts.

And my arrangement with my parents is that of the same with a regular apartment, just that the money is then used for my tuition. Other benafits come with cable modem, free food, and a place to have my dog without a landlord being ****y.

Anything else you'd like to share with everyone about me? Or has the taste of your own foot enough to stop?

Meh, What's the point? You're a troll. **** off Bj. You're a 24 year old arguing with a 19 yr old about how lazy you think he is, and of all places, you're doing it on a ****ing video game forum. Wow, what an *** kicker you are.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I like how you came into this thread gloating about your laziness, baiting people to give you a hard time about it, and then got all butthurt when I did.

I'm not a troll. I've been on the boards a bit longer than you. I have nothing to prove to you. I like how you insult me for arguing with you on a video game forum. . . on a video game forum. What a retard you are. You're just a lazy chud of a person who's bordering on illiterate. *** forbid you do something for someone else, you sack of ****. People like you make me thankful for video games- prevents some of the same people from ever procreating. It's a self-perpetuating glory in life that renews my faith in ***, frankly. I applaud your ability to figure out my age based on my date of birth. You go girl. I'm not sure how it's relevant to the discussion, but I guess developing rhetorical skills is difficult between doritos and chrono trigger. My guess is that you in fact don't know what you're talking about. You're fabricating reasons for not helping because you don't want to. It's denial, and it's common. You aren't an engineer, city planner, or particularly intelligent guy at all, so I seriously doubt you are able to make even a reasonable educated guess on the futility of the sandbagging process. You're just a lazy little ****. But it's okay, you still have 3 more endings to Chrono Trigger that you haven't seen, world be ****ed!

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz;853114]
My guess is that you in fact don't know what you're talking about.

And that is why you fail. :horse:

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

oh man, you really got me there. Perpetual virginity wins again.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Well guess what I did today?! Just to make Bj, my mom, and my dad happy, I joined the sandbag force of IowaCity. 4 hours, and 700 bags later, I helped protect Rocky Shore drive from flood water! hurray! Pictures will be added shortly.

Why did I change my mind?: Besides being told how lazy and ****ty I am for not doing it, there were two major reasons; the flood is getting much much worse than perdicted, and the city is now taking volunteers for all projects that involve protecting electric converters and city streets. How am I going to finish Chrono Trigger if the power goes out?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Hey! My town is on the National News!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

NO SCREENSHOTS DID NOT HAPPEN

(congrats by the way, don't you feel better now?)

Posted by Roger Smith

I sure do.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

So, no one cares about flooding. What people do care about is what I have to say, and what I have to say is this:

So, I'm all like waking up last saturday around 7PM from one of the best sleeps ever and my mom was like HOLY **** and I'm all WHAT?! and she's like TORNADOES and I'm all haha, whatever, you're stupid. So I turn on the news and they're like HOLY **** TORNADOES and I'm all dude, what the ****, this is Canada buddy we don't get tornadoes. Then they start showing pictures and the radar of these cells moving right towards lake ontario so I'm like HOLY **** TORNADOES

and then we get ten minutes of rain and lighting and then one of the nicest nights in the past few weeks.

In short: tornadoes in canada is way ****ed up.

Posted by #061402

Aw man, I know some people derive pleasure from arguing about petty things on the internet, but what the hell...

From a moral point of view, helping out is the right thing to do. From a logical point of view, if trying to protect against the flooding is useless, it's stupid to try to stop it. Helping for the sake of helping might get you a pat on the back, but if it fails and the houses get destroyed anyway, you'll feel bad instead. Not to mention that people might accuse you of not doing good enough a job, et cetera.

Didn't they just give up and evacuate anyways? Who cares.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting #061402: Aw man, I know some people derive pleasure from arguing about petty things on the internet, but what the hell...

From a moral point of view, helping out is the right thing to do. From a logical point of view, if trying to protect against the flooding is useless, it's stupid to try to stop it. Helping for the sake of helping might get you a pat on the back, but if it fails and the houses get destroyed anyway, you'll feel bad instead. Not to mention that people might accuse you of not doing good enough a job, et cetera.

http://www.kivitv.com/global/story.asp?s=8462207 sometimes it helps

Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all -- the apathy of human beings.- Hellen Keller

Posted by WillisGreeny

I promised pictures, but I didn't promise good pictures. I didn't really want to ask people to stop what they were doing and take my picture holding a sand bag, so I did it all manually with my phone. Yes, I know, they all suck. I would have just deleted them if they weren't the only pics I had.

Photobucket was being difficult by taking forever to load, so I went with youtube and uploaded probably the worst gallery movie ever made.

[youtube=ybG8phzNNaQ]ybG8phzNNaQ[/youtube]

The first pic is a sign saying sand bags... it looked better on the cell phone.

The pic of the hand was suppose to show a gash I got from tieing bags.

That white stuff infront of the blur that are somewhat in the shape of a building are sand bags, and the water under it is a temporary lake...

I shouldn't take pics...

you know, those descriptions alone were quite satisfying. I lol'd.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;853636]you know, those descriptions alone were quite satisfying. I lol'd.

i dunno man, the pics are pretty good too, especially the one where part of the hand is covering the lens

Posted by WillisGreeny

Cedar Rapids is about 45 minutes away from IowaCity (where I am).
[youtube=WvBJhDgRfe8&feature=related]WvBJhDgRfe8&feature=related[/youtube]

Here's some vids of my town (keep note that the river is still rising)

[youtube=9PEsE0ayOq4&feature=related]9PEsE0ayOq4&feature=related[/youtube]

(Coralville and IowaCity are conjoined)
[youtube=1BweHzCvdeA]1BweHzCvdeA[/youtube]

Posted by Dexter

That looks like so much fun. I'd certainly be out there enjoying it.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Trust me, it's not fun. If you don't like taking showers, and love taking hours instead of minutes to get to work, then yeah, it'd be a blast. Thankfully the power hasn't gone out, and most of the water supply is safe for now.

Posted by Dexter

I wouldn't mind at all if the power went out. Makes it all the more enjoyable, especially at night. I want to swim through flooded basements and have intense water battles. I'll steal the resident's sandbags to build my mighty fortress.

Posted by WillisGreeny

lol oh wow. Maybe if the water wasn't so filled with bacteria and sewage, and if the city hand't placed a 100 yard boundry/curfew from the flood water's edge, that just might have been doable.

Posted by Dexter

More rules/laws to break is virtually always more fun, right? No curfew's going to keep me under the blanket!

Although this is coming from the guy who wanted to take a trip to Burma after watching Rambo.

Yeah, man. Losing your house and possessions to flood water? What could possibly be more fun than that?

Posted by Tyler Durden

Losing your home and possessions to a massive state-wide wildfire?

And so what, a few towns get flooded over. A hurricane tears through an entire state. A whole race is wiped from the face of the planet through "ethnic cleansing" or mass genocide. Survival of the fittest mother****ers!! Earth is telling you to man-up and kill or be killed.
If you can't swim or breathe fire (in that case; water) then get the **** back on the porch and continue playing sand jockey.

A substantial downsize in any population, where ever with whomever, is a godsend-

haha, oh boy

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Tyler Durden;854879]Losing your home and possessions to a massive state-wide wildfire?

And so what, a few towns get flooded over. A hurricane tears through an entire state. A whole race is wiped from the face of the planet through "ethnic cleansing" or mass genocide. Survival of the fittest mother****ers!! Earth is telling you to man-up and kill or be killed.
If you can't swim or breathe fire (in that case; water) then get the **** back on the porch and continue playing sand jockey.

A substantial downsize in any population, where ever with whomever, is a godsend-

If you're dumb enough to put your house next to a forest, then yeah, get smarter. It's not like it's been flooding annually for the past 10 years. The last major flood was in 93. It hasn't flooded this badly for 500 years, while wild fires seem to happen every few years and have been getting worse as more homes get placed near heavilly forested areas. Before this, tornadoes were the biggest concern.

I think you're confusing this situation to be like a small town in Mississippi that floods every month.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Whenever I read about natural disasters in the headlines, and countless lost/deceased animals/pets. I instantly think "Bob Barker's Final Solution".

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Lobo_Rules/thepriceisreich.png[/IMG]

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Tyler Durden: Losing your home and possessions to a massive state-wide wildfire?

Anton LaVay was sh*t-talking, blowhard wussy, and so are you. Take your idiot philosophies elsewhere (LaVay was nothing more than a goth kid who stole his ideals from great thinkers like Ayn Rand, stuck a vague reference to Satain in it, and spun it into some bullsh*t "religion". Quit trying to apply that tosser's philosophy into your little take on natural disasters.

edit: sorry, I just get tired of all these anonymous hardasses, who gloat and act like they're the pinnacle of evolution every time a natural disaster/murder/crappy Marky Mark movie occurs. It gets old and doesn't really impress anyone.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz;855070]Anton LaVay was sh*t-talking, blowhard wussy, and so are you. Take your idiot philosophies elsewhere (LaVay was nothing more than a goth kid who stole his ideals from great thinkers like Ayn Rand, stuck a vague reference to Satain in it, and spun it into some bullsh*t "religion". Quit trying to apply that tosser's philosophy into your little take on natural disasters.

edit: sorry, I just get tired of all these anonymous hardasses, who gloat and act like they're the pinnacle of evolution every time a natural disaster/murder/crappy Marky Mark movie occurs. It gets old and doesn't really impress anyone.

Awesome-

For the record, I don't follow LeVay. I Googled the avatar and sig, and upon noticing how much he looked like Adam Sandler (with hair) from "Zohan". I just ran with it..

And, considering the rest of the world; I do live with a "Better Him Than Me" mentality.

I don't give two f*cks about strangers, or any other person I'll never meet, never know. But maybe, just maybe, that's from battling with xenophobia for the lesser half of my life?! The less bleeding vaginas I've got to encounter, the better. Color me selfish and insincere, but I really couldn't give a d*mn about someone else's plight situations.

edit: If it helps you sleep easier at night, I'll toss a quarter to the Salvation Army collectors, the next time I pass by Wal-Mart.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

what a ****ty existence.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

This was on Britfag news this morning. Specifically Iowa City. FAME!

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Bj Blaskowitz;855115]what a ****ty existence.

See how your opinion changes once you've lived a year, out of job and homeless, living from your vehicle-
maybe, just maybe, with the chance of an ocasional stay on your mother's spare sofa.

Then come back at me with another one of them signatured fancy tirades of yours.

I see things differently for a reason, because I've lived on both sides of the fence.