Chrono Trigger remake, no demand?

Posted by WillisGreeny

This has been bugging the hell out of me for some time now. When will Square Enix remake what most people consider as one of the greatest JRPGs of all time (discluding FF7 suckers). After playing a through the intro CT Last night, I decided to google up some info.

[quote= Square Enix VP]"There's still a possibility, but since the main director is not working for Square Enix now -- he's working on other titles in a different company, Namco Bandai, it's a bit difficult to ask him to come back and be the head of a team again. And also, Kato-san is working on the fourth game in the Mana series. So there's still a possibility that he might think he might want to make it again..."

I find that hard to chew. First off, they got Tokita-san to work on FF IV's remake, which pretty much disproves Square's inability to get the guy to come work for them again. 2nd off, not that I don't think the original director would be nice for directing the remake, having the original director shouldn't be such a big problem. A bunch of amatures who were working on their own Chrono Trigger remake, before Square Enix had stopped them, looked like they were doing just fine without the original director.

Another claim I read (from Tokita) leaves me in awe.

[B][quote=Takashi Tokita]"Chrono Trigger was a no-holds-barred, swashbuckling adventure that was a lot of fun to work on

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

He never said there wasn't enough demand. It sounds like they simply haven't surveyed the game's popularity. Really, who wants a remake anyway? The guy's right. It's better to create new games than rehash stuff that's already been done.

Posted by Ant

less remakes, more new games.

Posted by Roger Smith

So FF can get all these remakes but CT is left out in the cold of 2300 AD?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Ant: less remakes, more new games.

Most of the time, I would agree. I don't trust Square, even with Enix this time, to ever make a new Chrono game again, though.

Posted by Speedfreak

Because they know it was the best RPG they ever made, that's why they never made a proper sequel and they never reassembled the dream team, because they make more money selling Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy than the combined awesome that was Chrono Trigger. A remake would actually get people interested, and increase demand for sequels, and they're too busy knocking out tired s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it.

Where's the Gaia Trilogy remake, that's what I wanna know? Re-assemble Quintet!

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=The X;852669]He never said there wasn't enough demand. It sounds like they simply haven't surveyed the game's popularity. Really, who wants a remake anyway? The guy's right. It's better to create new games than rehash stuff that's already been done.

I believe his intention for using "if" was to distance the fact there is enough demand, attempting to lessen the possability. I'd have to see the original transcript in Japanese to know for sure. It's very possible I'm just reading into it waaay too much.
I completely agree it's better to create new games, but since they have been recreating quite a lot of games lately, why not a game that people are longing for?

@ Prince: bol, I was thinking the exact same thing. Square Enix would find some way to **** it up.

@ Speedy: I wonder who's really at fault for the teams splitting up. Is it anything like when tv actors get some fame and then think they can do movies? Or does Square Enix jump in and say "HEY, stop working together, you're make all the rest of us look bad,...STOP it"

Posted by Kal

A remake would be awesome. I love chrono Trigger.

Posted by maian

Is it necessary that every good game gets remade? I see it rare when a remake actually pleases fans. Most of the time, it ends up disappointing. I generally have no beef with the actual remakes, but I think they simply don't have the potential to please fans, because when they think it's the best game ever made, they will expect perfection out of the new product. Is it possible to deliver perfection? No. That's one reason I believe Indiana Jones failed to please so many people, is because their expectations were so high.

In so many cases, an amazing game remains better untouched. There's reason for the amazement, and if that's touched, it usually gets worse.

Besides, I see bad things in store for Chrono Trigger character design in a remake. We'd either get uber Dragon Ball Z in 3D form, or the typical, super metrosexual sexy antagonists with great hair.

Aaaand, that's not to say I wouldn't enjoy playing a remake. There's plenty of games that I think would be great fun to play in a remade form. But ultimately, there's a 90% chance it won't be nearly as good, which I believe doesn't make a remake worth making.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]or the typical, super metrosexual sexy antagonists with great hair.

I would love to see Lavos like this.

Just for the horror factor.

Posted by Bebop

*sigh* why do people want games re-made? Just play the original. I've never understood what the emergency was behind re-making classics. Surely thats something we should stamp out if anything.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bebop;853086]*sigh* why do people want games re-made? Just play the original. I've never understood what the emergency was behind re-making classics. Surely thats something we should stamp out if anything.

If a remake is popular it sometimes leads to sequels. Besides, some of us never got the chance to own a legitimate copy.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'm for either a remake, or a rerelease that doesn't get ****ed up with loading times. 50 50. I just feel that Enix could, and should take a chance with Chrono Trigger, since it was one of Soft's most successful titles. It's a huge risk if it sux, but that's never going to change. I do see where a lot of **** could go wrong, especially with the character design situation Maian brought up. DBZ look-a-likes would kill me. But still, seeing them atleast attempt a remake would be nice, breaking Square Enix's "safe for profit" trend with only remaking Final Fantasy.

Posted by Zeta

Remakes are fine when they're huge changes/updates like Metroid Zero Mission.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

What Zeta said. If you're going to remake something, at least choose a game that's heavily outdated (almost to the point it's unplayable) and would benefit from new technology.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I heard there was a bunch of stuff left off Chrono Trigger because the designers were constantly trying to meet deadlines, but that could have all just been fan gossip. Amazing how so many people wish Schala was a playable character, but I don't see how she could be much different than Magus.

Posted by Zeta

That wouldn't even work. She ****ing gets lost in time then fused to Lavos.

Posted by WillisGreeny

The later developed plot definitely makes it impossible to have her be playable now, but as for the battle schematics, logically, she would have to be just another Magus. Two kick *** Mages from the Dark Ages? Yeeeeah, that ruins the character balance fo show. I wonder if they had intended on Schala being playable instead of Magus before the plot was fully carved out? Now that would be interesting, if any of it could be substantiated that is.

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

Someone said something about"there wasn't a proper sequel"? Chrono Cross is proper enough for me.

Yes, a remake would sound cool, but Chrono Trigger is something of the past(SNES Era, First playstation era), only had one game after it(Chrono Trigger to Chrono Cross), and was only remade once(SNES to PS). It would be cool if they made more games though.

Posted by Speedfreak

Made by a completely different team. Not a proper sequel.

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

Well, at least it was even sequeled at all! And it was a pretty **** good sequel too.

Posted by #061402

You can't really remake such a great game. Trying would almost definitely lead to failure. There a special feeling when you play those old games that I seriously doubt would follow a graphical fix. Not to mention they'd probably try to add new stuff and make it suck.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Meh, Chrono Cross was alright, but it might aswell have been done without any attatchment to Chrono Trigger. Cross felt more like a standalone Final Fantasy game just from the battle system alone. Most of the connections that were to Chrono Trigger had been heavily forced, and almost alien to the series. It's very obvious that the design teams were not the same. The designers seemed to think the plot (which they clearly read through once), aswell as only having three characters in a party, was the magic of Chrono Trigger. The charm of Chrono Trigger isn't just its story (which is probably why the actual sequal, WHICH IS NOT Chrono Cross, didn't do so hot), it's the flow of the game; the balance. My main complaint for CC has always been over the story line getting complicated and tiresome. CC had a much more serious tone very early on, and had so many more twists that it got frustrating. The tone was crucial: CT started off with a festival, while CC started off with an animal about to kill the main character. Now, I'm not interested in hearing explanation (I GET THE PLOT), just understand my point. CC was not that great of a sequal.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

This isn't the movie industry. **** remakes.

Restarting a series or reimagining isn't so bad, but why not just add a new entry into the series? This is a young medium, no need for remakes quite yet. ****ing final fantasy.

Seriously, they should just do what they did with Ninja Gaiden. Take a great series and update it, completely reimagine it. Didn't take anything away from the first three games, didn't take anything away from the last-gen game.

Posted by Shevanel

Quoting WillisGreeny: I heard there was a bunch of stuff left off Chrono Trigger because the designers were constantly trying to meet deadlines, but that could have all just been fan gossip. Amazing how so many people wish Schala was a playable character, but I don't see how she could be much different than Magus.

Unplayable Singing Mountain dungeon left in the ROM
Extra music - Singing Mountain and Battle Theme II
Overworld sprites for soldiers
Unused slot for seventh party member
Offscreen areas for 1999 AD map
12000 BC airship sprite left in ROM
2300 AD coliseum sprite left in ROM
and other **** I'm probably forgetting.

Posted by Shevanel

Also if they're going to remake anything it should be a heavily updated Radical Dreamers.

Seriously; if they just disregard Chrono Cross - which is an awesome game in its own right but nothing to do with CT - and get the dream team back for a reimagining of RD then **** could be hot. A properly artistic direct sequel to CT with modern visuals would rock.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Shevanel;854646]Unplayable Singing Mountain dungeon left in the ROM
Extra music - Singing Mountain and Battle Theme II
Overworld sprites for soldiers
Unused slot for seventh party member
Offscreen areas for 1999 AD map
12000 BC airship sprite left in ROM
2300 AD coliseum sprite left in ROM
and other **** I'm probably forgetting.

Well then, looks like there's plenty of stuff they could complete/add into a remake if they ever bothered. A RD remake would also make me squeal like a piggy.