Mario Sports titles...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Anyone else think that Nintendo should expand the Mario Sports franchises to include the Smash Brothers roster? It seems like the natural evolution of the games, to me. Golf, certainly, can have all kinds of different courses from game to game, but soccer, baseball, and tennis all have very little to offer in terms of variety.

I think Link would make an awesome lefty hitter/pitcher for baseball, and the thought of Zelda in tennis and golf attire makes me happy. I'd have fun on a futuristic Star Fox golf course, and Kirby's even got some golfing experience. Samus with a tennis raquet mounted on her arm cannon (which disappears when she fires the cannon to serve)? Why not? Ganondorf using his evil magic to guide his golf ball's flight? You know he would.

Posted by Iris

I agree entirely. Every game seems more like the last in the sports franchises and I'd like to see some of my favorite game series do something other than fight. Kart racing would be ideal, but tennis, golf, and soccer all seem decent. It'd be nice to see more than one big series get party games, combining them with other series just makes it better.

Posted by Shevanel

I can't wait for MANLY GOLF, starring Captain Falcon and Snake. Now with six different testosterone-drenched powerups!

Posted by Iris

Ganondorf's clearly manlier than both. Seriously, the man must be freaking huge.

Posted by Ant

Metaknight mother****ers.

Quoting Ant: Metaknight mother****ers.

Seems like a born goalie, to me. Super Smash Hockey, anyone?

Posted by Iris

Hockey? That ought to be relevant to today's urban youth!

Who wants to be relevant to them?

Posted by Speedfreak

Egh...not sure I share this sentiment.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I wouldn't mind at all. Diddy Kong and a whole bunch of barely Mario-related goons have been showing up in Kart/Soccer/Tennis recently, so they might as well include everyone else.

Posted by Linko_16

Though it would make the fanboy inside me squeal with delight, I can't say such a thing would really contribute that much to the games themselves. I'd sooner see them work harder to make the sports titles more interesting somehow... not that I have any bright ideas, myself.

Then again, it would certainly guarantee Nintendo several million more sales, I'm sure, so they'd definitely benefit from such a move.

Posted by Speedfreak

It should be noted that Smash didn't start off with Nintendo characters, it wasn't that idea at it's core that made it great. So I pretty much agree with Linko, it wouldn't add much.

Posted by Bebop

I'm not sold on it either. As said it won't add to much except new skins to chose from. But my problem is that if this is the case, where Mario sports and party games start incorporating other franchise characters, it may reach the stage where it's near impossible to fin a Mario only game. it would the same as putting Mario in 4 Swords. Not to sound like a lower class, supermarket working BNP voter, but sometimes it's nice to stick to your own kind. Too many chefs and all that.

Just having the characters might not add much, but the stadiums/courses/courts, etc. would also be drawn from the different Nintendo franchises. And as I said with Ganondorf golfing, if they could all use their powers/abilities/tools to influence different aspects of gameplay, it would add a heck of a lot of variety. I just think that if Nintendo is going to keep making these games for every new system, they ought to evolve them a little more. But then, I suppose they're mostly trying to sell the Wii titles to people who never played the older games in the Mario Sports franchises, so maybe it's not so important to them.

Posted by Speedfreak

I dunno, it seems it would tarnhsih the reputation of the source material. Instead of being a one a generation celebration of Nintendo it'd be a once a year celebration of Nintendo, which would be totally conceited. Incorperating other franchises isn't really necessary to create some new courses and characters unless those new courses and characters' only defining features were their looks. They can tweak gameplay without making Link a character.

Plus, the reason these titles sell is because Mario is stupidly famous and associated with simple gaming. The most space Link and Captain Falcon take on the box the less room for Mario, know what I mean?

That hasn't stopped the phenomenal sales of Super Smash Brothers itself. I see what you're saying about too much of a good thing, though. Maybe it's just all of the Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy Itadaki St. I've been playing that's gone to my head. That game is more addicting than crack.

Posted by Pit

this idea sounds like ****

Posted by That one person

I think that its a good idea, it would give more variety and choice to the player.