need to repair 360, need help

Posted by Crazy K

OK, I know I spoke up about this not to long ago, but I'm getting tired of having to hit my 360 just to get it to play games.

Anyways my 360 isn't under warranty anymore since I was stupid and purchased a used 360 from my sister. So is there some way I can get a new warranty? I asked my sister if she had the receipt, but no receipt. I really don't want to pay $99+

So is there some sort of way to get a warranty so I can make it easier on me? I actually did get the 3 red rings, so should it be covered?

If I do decide to get it repaired, should I use this website? [URL]http://www.360-pros.com/[/URL]

If I have to pay to get it repaired, I'll most likely choose this place, that is, if it's legit enough to do it.

Anyways help me guys. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

If it has RROD'd, just call them.

Posted by Crazy K

Will I be able to get it repaired for free? Because last time I called about my 360 being ****, they said I had to pay like $99+ to get it repaired, and I did say something about the RROD.

And the thing is the RROD only happens once in a while, and then stops. I can get my 360 to go, but I usually have to slap the sides hoping the game starts.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Replace the paste in there with some silver solder paste. It's likely that the current paste in there is the problem. It's less reliable than what most people would tend to use (not sure what Microsoft uses, nickel [I think]). I replaced mine and it works great. It takes a little bit of know how (and even with that I used help from walkthroughs on the 'net [like [URL="http://www.postgamepub.com/pc-console-gaming-forum/3391-fixing-the-rrod-on-your-xbox-360-a.html"]here[/URL].]) but once done you feel accomplished and happy that it's working again. Plus, it's a ton cheaper than getting a new one or paying to have them fix it by doing the exact same thing.

Oh, and if you do end up fixing it yourself, after all is said and done, it wont work until you do the towel trick to the extreme and let it sit for a day (found this out on my own, might work for you without it, but wouldn't for me until I did it).

Posted by Crazy K

I might just do that. Now if I were to mess anything up, would I still be able to get microsoft to repair it?

Posted by Sapphire Rose

You'd have to pay, since opening the 360 itself not only voids the warantee, but cancels any hope of getting it for free. I had that same line of thinking, but figured I'd give it a go since not only have I repaired computers before (so I had at least some knowledge in this matter) but since my warantee was already up, I'd be paying anyways. Might as well try and save a buck.

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah true, my warranty is up as well, which is why I shouldn't of purchased a used 360 from my sister.

But yeah I'll try to repair it if it gets super gay on me, last night I got it going right away with a few slaps to the side right at startup, so hopefully that works awhile.

If I do decide to repair it myself, hopefully I don't **** it up more. I've messed with computers and stuff before, but I'm no good at it. Hopefully it's nothing that hard to fix.

Posted by cool gamer dad

No way your warranty is up... they extended it. Just do the online repair center thing, lie and tell them you got a RRoD, and they'll ship you a box to send to them. Free of charge.

Posted by Crazy K

If I decide to do the repair myself, would this fix be a temporary one? Or will it be like brand new? I'll see what I can do when I get a reply from microsoft.

[quote=cats;852506]No way your warranty is up... they extended it. Just do the online repair center thing, lie and tell them you got a RRoD, and they'll ship you a box to send to them. Free of charge.

But the thing is that I entered my 360 info after the original warranty. I sent Microsoft a message telling them that I got the RROD error, so I hope I still get the warranty.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Hopefully it's a permafix. It's worked for me so far (2 months).

Posted by jdood1210

if your 360 is blinking red you can return it for a new one

Posted by Crazy K

I think I'll do what cats suggested, if by any chance it doesn't work, then I'll do the fix myself.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I, like a moron, never got the warantee. I HAD to fix mine. :(

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah, I might check into the repair thing tomorrow. I just hope they allow me to send it in and get it repaired for free. Otherwise I'll do the repair before paying $99+.

Posted by #061402

Hey, just a quick, related question.. pardon for butting in, Crazy. But I'm getting an Elite tomorrow, and I'm wondering if they've done anything about the RROD yet.

Posted by Crazy K

I think the problems were fixed during the making of the new models. The original models (like mine) were the ones with the RRoD problems.

Look around xbox.com, they might have something on it.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Supposedly the Elites are RRoD-Proof.

Posted by #061402

Okay, thanks guys! Sorry for butting in like that, Crazy.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Supposedly the Elites are RRoD-Proof.

Early elites were no different than early 360s. They both got equal amounts of rrods. The new cheapset that was released awhile back more or less fixed that problem though, though there's a better batch of chips on the way.

But yeah, cats is correct. Lie and get your box, pack it up and send it away. Used to work pretty well from what I heard, since RRoDs can potentially go away on their own.