RPG Golden Years

Posted by Shin-Ra

What was your favorite platform for RPG games?

I think it has a lot to do with which console you started with when you played your first RPG. My personal favorite is the PS1. FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Star Ocean 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Parasite Eve, Vagarant Story, etc.

However, I've been gaining an appreciation for the old SNES RPGs. I didn't get into these until later on (because I started with the ps1 rpgs) but they have their own charm. I'm really grateful for the virtual console for promising to make some of these more available, as well as to the DS and GBA remakes for doing the same.

Posted by nintendope

ive always loved the dragon warrior series. probably the first rpg i got into, it will always have a place in my heart. they need to bring that game back.

Posted by Shade

Gameboy Advance.

Posted by nintendope

Quoting Shade: Gameboy Advance.

well i meant for a home console not a portable.

Posted by Shade

I meant that was the best system. I don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by nintendope

Quoting Shade: I meant that was the best system. I don't know what you're talking about.

ah sorry i was talking about dragon warrior. and the nes is my favorite for rpg's. and i just looked into it i did not know they made dragon warrior VII for the ps2. a purchase i must make.

Posted by Shade

You should. It's a pretty **** good game.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Shade: Gameboy Advance.

The RPGs for GBA really are amazing. There are sooo many good remakes from the SNES, but outside of Golden Sun, what are some good GBA exclusive RPGs?

Also, the Dragon Warrior on the PS2 is indeed great. I didn't beat it, but I got decently far and it was pretty entertaining with a dash of that old school charm.

Posted by Slade

I'm not really sure what my main system for RPGs is, partially because I've only recently begun to play them all the way through. Right now I have more RPGs for the PS2 than any other system, and I plan on collecting a huge number more this summer, so I'm sure that will soon be my main RPG machine.

Quoted post: There are sooo many good remakes from the SNES, but outside of Golden Sun, what are some good GBA exclusive RPGs?

Right now I'm playing Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 for GBA, which has 2d battles with lots of skills and magic, and weapon/item-crafting is a huge part of it. It's ****ing awesome so far.

Another great one is Riviera: The Promised Land, but that's being ported to PSP. Zeta is the resident GBA RPG connoisseur, so he could probably tell you about more.

Posted by Ant

When I think of "RPG'S" in general, the first system I think of is the PS2. Even though I didn't play too many on there, it really is probably going to be the last system for the RPG to thrive, or the classic RPG's that we all know and love. Though not too far behind that is the SNES. Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, FFIV; **** yeah.

Posted by Shade

Come to think of it, when it comes to quantity, I'll take the SNES over the GBA. Mainly because at least of the games I love GBA came from there first, and Secret of Mana was never remade. :( But for quality, nothing beats Golden Sun. Ever.

Posted by Zeta

SNES.

WHY CAN'T MORE RPGS HAVE DUNGEONS LIKE LUFIA 2'S?!

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Slade: Zeta is the resident GBA RPG connoisseur, so he could probably tell you about more.

HEY ZETA. Will you please inform me of these GBA exclusive RPGs that don't suck?

Posted by WillisGreeny

When I think of the RPG golden age, I think of late SNES/early PS1: FF6, FF4, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Legend of Mana, Legend of Gaia, Suikoden I & II, Breath of Fire III, all good.

Posted by Shade

You forgot Terranigma.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I was only listing some of the games that I played during the golden age. I would have also mentioned Bahamut Lagoon, but, as you know, both games weren't available :(. Yeah, could have imported, but imports didn't get popular until the PS1 got popular, atleast, that's how it was in my neck of the woods.

Posted by Dexter

NES. Willow, Dragon Warrior series, and Destiny of am Empire made my Golden Age.

Posted by Shade

Willow is a pretty awesome movie. I love the scene where that hag turns them all into swine.

Posted by Dexter

I liked it more as a child. As I grew older I realized how much better Ridley's Legend is.

Posted by Shade

Never seen it. But I'm willing to bet ten thousand gil that it doesn't hold a candle to Willow.

Posted by Dexter

It most seriously does. More darker and the music is stirring. Willow's music was fun though. Legend is the closest film we have to the Zelda games. You got fairies and stuff. Seriously, watch it. It's quite possibly my favorite fantasy film. I can't think of a better.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'm pretty sure it was the SNES, followed closely by the Playstation.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I was a SNES baby, and had my Final Fantasy games to play for hours on end. And I still do.

Well, not so much Final Fantasy anymore. I've been through 4 & 6 waaaay too many times.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting cats: I was a SNES baby, and had my Final Fantasy games to play for hours on end. And I still do.

Well, not so much Final Fantasy anymore. I've been through 4 & 6 waaaay too many times.

Play 5 on PS1 or GBA, and then play 3 on DS. Also, if you haven't yet, play Super Mario RPG for SNES and Chrono Trigger for SNES.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Fei-on Castor: Play 5 on PS1 or GBA, and then play 3 on DS. Also, if you haven't yet, play Super Mario RPG for SNES and Chrono Trigger for SNES.

Finished those all 'cept Chrono Trigger. :3

Been meaning to play it!

Posted by Apathetic

gba

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=cats;851199]Finished those all 'cept Chrono Trigger. :3

Been meaning to play it!

[IMG]http://www.videogamesprites.net/ChronoTrigger/NPCs/MiddleAges/Chancellor1%20-%20Shocked.gif[/IMG] Jesus boi, you have got to get on that.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

SNES - however, some of my favorites of all time are on Sega systems, as well (Shining Force series, Phantasy Star IV, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia)