Halo 3 Black Bars?

Posted by Padeystar

I remember when I first purchased Halo 3. The first time I did a Split-Screen custom game with my friend, the wide screen resolution had no black bars at all on the left and right sides. I've been reading about how bungie has purposely done this to prevent some sort of advantage or dis advantage with players on the same screen. I just don't understand how mine had no black bars for the first few weeks that I was playing the game on split-screen and then a one day I turn it on for a split-screen session and the black bars were just there. I'm guessing that it might have to do something with an online update for the black bars on the left and right screen, meaning it can somehow be bypassed? I need some answers.

Posted by Roger Smith

Change the xbox's resolution to 480.

Posted by Padeystar

Won't that just degrade the overall look of the game and make everything look gigantic? Have you tested this before? Also I know my moniter supports 16:10 Aspect Ratio. Could that have had something to do with the me not having the black bars to begin with, for the first few days? I'm thinking bungie just snuck in a patch or something for users that had 16:10 Aspect Ration since Halo supports 16:9.

Posted by Roger Smith

I use 480 when I play split screen and it's fine.

Only use 1080 when playing single player.

Posted by Padeystar

Alright thanks, I'll try that. But is there any reason why at one Point in 1080P I was able to Split Screen and have no black bars? Some kind of a answer to that would cure my anger =(

Posted by Roger Smith

Microsoft/Bungie lol :cookie:

Posted by Skyway

bungie dnot work for micosoft no more

Posted by #061402

Microsoft still owns the Halo franchise though.

But, what kind of dis/advantage could black bars counter? Sounds kind of stupid.