luve, need help with internet!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

uuuuuuuuuugh. So I built this new computer right, and now my internet connection decides to randomly cut out. Keep in mind my xbox and sisters computer has a perfect connection (so of course I switched cables, cycled everything, switched ports, etc) so it's just this computer. And it's brand new. Now, what'll happen is that my connection will work perfectly on startup but after awhile it'll cut in and out and then eventually start slowing to a crawl. And then after that pages will take forever to connect or just decide not to load at all.

However, it doesn't stay down long enough for my computer to detect a loss of connection, nor will MSN disconnect. I've pretty much got rid of any auto-updater that could be interfering, disabled firewalls, got rid of McAfee for Avast and nothing has changed. I can only fix it by restarting my computer, but it'll just go **** again anyways. Help, any suggestions?

Posted by ExoXile

Check the router's settings.
Sounds like something's up with that.

IMO.
Don't have any expertise in that though, since I hate routers.

Definitely not that since everything else connected to the router works a-ok.

Posted by Stalolin

I MAY NOT BE A SUPER EXPERT ON THIS but it sounds like a hardware problem

go google your network card and see if it's defective

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. But it's onboard (too lazy to replace) and usually if it doesn't work it just stops working instead of working fine after a reboot or whatever.

Posted by Stalolin

onboard? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck why did you do that

because it doesn't really matter as far as I know.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;846657]Definitely not that since everything else connected to the router works a-ok.
Well the router has more than one port, thus it can be faulty in more or less ports.
[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;846672]because it doesn't really matter as far as I know.
It doesn't.

Quoted post: Well the router has more than one port, thus it can be faulty in more or less ports.

Quoted post: (so of course I switched cables, cycled everything, switched ports, etc)

I made sure to check for that. It's definitely not anything like that, it's either software interfering or hardware. And I'd rather not have to order new parts if I can easily fix it otherwise.

Posted by ExoXile

The only time my internet screws up like that is when I have the router with 2 or more people on it Utorrenting.

And that usually passes within 5mins.

So if you started Utorrent that could be the reason, it's a bastard when it comes to bandwidth(Right when you start it, anyway.).

Nah, nothing like that. I really only have basic programs installed and it only started acting up when I got Quicktime downloaded onto it, so I got rid of it hoping that was it and nothing. Plus, it acts up whether my sister's computer is on or not. It's pretty strange.

Posted by ExoXile

How did it work out?

I wiped it and still had the problem. So I'm guessing it's hardware related. Go figure.

Posted by junior senior

wireless card? same thing would happen to me. i went through like, 6 different brands of wireless cards until i found the right one. <3

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting JuNiOr SeNiOr: wireless card? same thing would happen to me. i went through like, 6 different brands of wireless cards until i found the right one. <3

I doubt it's wireless, as he said he has onboard. Unless he has onboard wireless.

Anyways when you mean internet connection cuts out, you talking the internet yourself, or your actual network connection?

it was wired, and I recently switched out the motherboard. So hopefully that fixes it.

But yeah, it was just the internet on this computer. Everything else on the network was fine.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: it was wired, and I recently switched out the motherboard. So hopefully that fixes it.

But yeah, it was just the internet on this computer. Everything else on the network was fine.

I C... well it probably was the onboard NIC. Let us know how it goes.

Posted by Apathetic

Reinstall driver from mobo disc? i wunder if this is a dead thread

I just put a whole different type of board in. If this doesn't work, guess I'm getting a new router or something.