Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

I need some info on this book before I actually pick it up. All I know about it is that there is a movie being made from the book and that the book itself is really bizzare. Can anyone please give me a link that gives a description of the book or something?

Posted by higbvuyb

I don't know a link, but the book is pretty funny, in a retarded sort of way.

Posted by Dandelion

I really want to see the movie. I've heard great things about the book..need to pick it up and read it as well. On the with information someone more knowledged!

Posted by Klarth

apparently they cut the "beware of the lepoard" sequence to "I HAD TROUBLE FINDING THE DOCUMENTATION". shame, really.

But in the meantime, the Hitchiker's Trilogy of Five is by far the best set of books I have *ever* read. Most of the humour's a bit british, but it should be somewhat understandable after earth gets blown up. But then again, you'll REALLY have to be a brit to understand Life, The Universe and Everything. Shame, but it never affected me. *gloats*

Quoting Majesty: apparently they cut the "beware of the lepoard" sequence to "I HAD TROUBLE FINDING THE DOCUMENTATION". shame, really.

But in the meantime, the Hitchiker's Trilogy of Five is by far the best set of books I have *ever* read. Most of the humour's a bit british, but it should be somewhat understandable after earth gets blown up. But then again, you'll REALLY have to be a brit to understand Life, The Universe and Everything. Shame, but it never affected me. *gloats*

I'm reading the book now and I don't get the humor. There are a few funny parts that I got so far, but otherwise: nada. The book itself is confusing. I'm probably going to have to read it again once I finish with it.

Posted by Looski

I have been meaning to read this book, my friend says its one of his favs and some others can't wait to see the movie, myself, Im not totally enthused, but thats probubly cuz I havn't read it.

Well, I've finished the book and I had no idea what it was about. It's all too confusing. Hey, Majesty, didn't you say this is a series or something? If that's true, then maybe I should check out some of the other books.

Posted by Lethal Shadow

The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything---42

Quoting Lethal Shadow: The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything---42

Ahh, but what is the Question? That's what I want to know. *SPOILERS AHEAD!* We would know if those morons would of waited 10 seconds before destroying the Earth, the Galaxy's greatest computer (apparently).

Posted by Echo

Yes, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a series of 5 books. all of which are very good. If you haven't read them, I'd suggest you read all of them. And if you really enjoy them (which you should) pick up The Salmon of Doubt, as well. Douglas Adams is one of my favorite authors of all time. I got the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (All 5 books, plus the "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" short story) for Christmas two years ago, and I've read the whole thing twice, but bits and pieces of it a lot more than that. Right now I'm listening to season 2 of the radio series, which is very good indeed. I've listened to season 1 already, which basically follows books 1 and 2. My dad was the person who got me interested in the series, because when he was younger he would leave parties to go home and listen to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on the radio. So he loves listening to the radio series with me on car rides, for nostalgia's sake.

Posted by Boner

I fear that this movie will disappoint me greatly. I have seen the trailers to it. Apparently, Zaphod's second head comes out of his chest. Also, Ford Prefect is black. And, Marvin looks like a VW Bug. Anyone who has read the book and seen the BBC prodoction of the first book in this series (I have it on DVD) knows that this is simply not right. Zaphod's heads should be side by side. Ford Prefect should be white (Note: I'm not racist. That's just the way it should be). And Marvin should have a moree 'blocky' look to him. I also heard rumor that Douglas Adams had written more parts to this series before he died that were not released. These additions will be implimented in the movie. I'm not sure how I feel about that idea. At any rate, I'm willing to give this a chance. For those of you that are going to read the book first, I suggest "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". If you don't, many of the jokes will still be way over your head. Such as; "Oh no, not again.", said the bowl of petunias.

More spoilers to come... :p

Quoting Opeth: I fear that this movie will disappoint me greatly. I have seen the trailers to it. Apparently, Zaphod's second head comes out of his chest. Also, Ford Prefect is black. And, Marvin looks like a VW Bug. Anyone who has read the book and seen the BBC prodoction of the first book in this series (I have it on DVD) knows that this is simply not right. Zaphod's heads should be side by side. Ford Prefect should be white (Note: I'm not racist. That's just the way it should be). And Marvin should have a moree 'blocky' look to him. I also heard rumor that Douglas Adams had written more parts to this series before he died that were not released. These additions will be implimented in the movie. I'm not sure how I feel about that idea. At any rate, I'm willing to give this a chance. For those of you that are going to read the book first, I suggest "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". If you don't, many of the jokes will still be way over your head. Such as; "Oh no, not again.", said the bowl of petunias.

More spoilers to come... :p

Hold up. Zaphod has more than one head? How did I miss that....

On the Ford part, wasn't he portrayed as a white person in the book? Weird...

With Marvin, I didn't picture him as a block. Of course, I read the book a little too fast, so I probably didn't pick up much.

Lastly, how does the book series go (i.e. what is book #2-5)?

Posted by Boner

Quoting The_Essence_Vortex: Hold up. Zaphod has more than one head? How did I miss that....

I dunno. Maybe read over it again. Attention to detail is a must with this book.

Quoted post: On the Ford part, wasn't he portrayed as a white person in the book? Weird...

With Marvin, I didn't picture him as a block. Of course, I read the book a little too fast, so I probably didn't pick up much.

These details are expressed more in the BBC television series. It's available on DVD.

Quoted post: Lastly, how does the book series go (i.e. what is book #2-5)?

#2 The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
#3 Life, the Universe and everything
#4 So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
#5 Mostly Harmless

Edit: Even as I read this book for the first time, I felt the need to re-read many pages/paragraphs to see it I may have missed something. Many times I found that I did. I even backtracked a couple of chapters as I read through.

Quoting Opeth: These details are expressed more in the BBC television series. It's available on DVD.

#2 The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
#3 Life, the Universe and everything
#4 So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
#5 Mostly Harmless

Edit: Even as I read this book for the first time, I felt the need to re-read many pages/paragraphs to see it I may have missed something. Many times I found that I did. I even backtracked a couple of chapters as I read through.

Ah. I will try and look for the DVDs

As for the books, thanks very much.

Posted by Klarth

Mostly Harmless was the book I enjoyed the most-- in fact, I used that as a screenname on vgc for about eight months here. But yes, a lot of the humour only works if you're a zany sort of person, or just plain odd.

The bbc series was what, four hours long? It only covered the first two books, but the bulldozer sequence in the beginning had me continually lolling. Oh, and in case you hadn't notice, one of the men in the pub is Doug Adams himself.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Majesty: Oh, and in case you hadn't notice, one of the men in the pub is Doug Adams himself.

I did not notice that. I'll have to watch it again and see. The barkeep almost looked like Doug Adams.

UPDATE: I'm re-reading the book. I noticed something that I have not seen in the movie trailers. In the first book, Zaphod has a third arm. Where is that in the movie?

Posted by Lethal Shadow

If you like Douglas Adams you would most likely enjoy his book The Meaning of Liff. The book is kind of hard to find, but if you manage to get your hands on it, you should definitely read it.

Posted by Arwon

Bloody fan-boys.

Every version of HHGttG is inhernetly non-canonical. There is little internal consistancy between, say, the radio play, the books, the TV series. It DOESN'T MATTER if they don't do everything exactly in line with the book, as long as they retain the core essence of Douglas Adams' work. Which is that it's a science fiction story, played straight by the characters (nobody does slapstick or sight gags), which just happens to be incredibly absurd and hilarious.

The screenplay has been around for ages, Douglas Adams helped write it, he contributed a bunch of new stuff specifically for the movie... one thing I have heard of is a Perspective Gun. And the guys making it are apparently fairly big fans, I doubt they're going to get lazy or stupid with the material, so cut them some slack, eh?

Who cares if Ford Prefect is played by a black rapper? He's AN ALIEN. Everyone else they've cast is perfect (the guy from the Office as Arthur, Alan Rickman as Marvin, Stephen fucking Fry as the voice of the guide!!!) and Mos Def does have some acting credentials, used to do theatre. So give him a chance. Really, all Ford Prefect has to do is be a little odd, and above-all, unflappably cool and worldly.

Give the movie a chance, and don't be like those bloody LoTR fanboys getting pissed because not every little thing is completely identical to the mental picture you derived from the book (or the tv series/radio plays).

Also, in the trailer I saw at one point Zaphod was doing a complicated thing with his hands and there were indeed three of them.

Quoting Arwon: Bloody fan-boys.

Every version of HHGttG is inhernetly non-canonical. There is little internal consistancy between, say, the radio play, the books, the TV series. It DOESN'T MATTER if they don't do everything exactly in line with the book, as long as they retain the core essence of Douglas Adams' work. Which is that it's a science fiction story, played straight by the characters (nobody does slapstick or sight gags), which just happens to be incredibly absurd and hilarious.

The screenplay has been around for ages, Douglas Adams helped write it, he contributed a bunch of new stuff specifically for the movie... one thing I have heard of is a Perspective Gun. And the guys making it are apparently fairly big fans, I doubt they're going to get lazy or stupid with the material, so cut them some slack, eh?

Who cares if Ford Prefect is played by a black rapper? He's AN ALIEN. Everyone else they've cast is perfect (the guy from the Office as Arthur, Alan Rickman as Marvin, Stephen fucking Fry as the voice of the guide!!!) and Mos Def does have some acting credentials, used to do theatre. So give him a chance. Really, all Ford Prefect has to do is be a little odd, and above-all, unflappably cool and worldly.

Give the movie a chance, and don't be like those bloody LoTR fanboys getting pissed because not every little thing is completely identical to the mental picture you derived from the book (or the tv series/radio plays).

Also, in the trailer I saw at one point Zaphod was doing a complicated thing with his hands and there were indeed three of them.

I'm going to watch the movie, even if there were some parts that differ from the book. It'll bother me that they differ, but I'll ignore it and look at the movie itself.

On a side note, I found out that Zaphod does have three arms in the movie. I had to watch the actual trailer to find that out. Before that, I only saw the teaser one.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Lethal Shadow: If you like Douglas Adams you would most likely enjoy his book The Meaning of Liff. The book is kind of hard to find, but if you manage to get your hands on it, you should definitely read it.

The Meaning Of Liff is simply a dictionary with silly meanings applied to place names (eg: A Wimbledon is defined as that little trickle of urine that flows down your leg due to insufficient waggling of the willy upon exiting a urinal).

As for what Arwon said, I couldn't give a shit in the woods about minor inconsistencies. As long as the central characters and core plot of the thing is in the movie, I'll watch it and probably enjoy it. It's bound to not be as good as the tv series, but there surely can't be anything THAT wrong with things being changed.

And I don't get why people are hung up about Ford being black. What, have you never seen an African humanoid alien? God.

Quoting Majesty: The Meaning Of Liff is simply a dictionary with silly meanings applied to place names (eg: A Wimbledon is defined as that little trickle of urine that flows down your leg due to insufficient waggling of the willy upon exiting a urinal).

And I don't get why people are hung up about Ford being black. What, have you never seen an African humanoid alien? God.

HAHAHAHA! Is that really what it says in there? I have to find this now. Sounds classic.

People get upset about Ford being black because most people pictured him as white (surprise, surprise). I didn't really picture him white when I read the book, though. Hell, for a while, I pictured him to be yellow when they got into space. I don't really care that he's black in the movie, though. I mean, they're doing the same thing with XXX: State Of The Union. First he was white, now he's black.

Posted by Arwon

You did NOT just compare XXX to Hitchhiker's Guide.

Quoting Arwon: You did NOT just compare XXX to Hitchhiker's Guide.

No, I compared the characters. Think about it. In the first XXX, he was white. In the Hitchhiker's book, Ford was portrayed as white. In the new XXX, he's black. In the Hitchhiker's movie, Ford is portrayed as black. See where I'm going?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: No, I compared the characters. Think about it. In the first XXX, he was white. In the Hitchhiker's book, Ford was portrayed as white. In the new XXX, he's black. In the Hitchhiker's movie, Ford is portrayed as black. See where I'm going?

No, now never compare the two again.

Posted by Klarth

Agreed.

And wait there was more than one xxx?

Quoting Majesty: Agreed.

There's a new one coming out.

And I'll shut up now. Apparently, I did something wrong...

There's a new one coming out.

And I'll shut up now. Apparently, I did something wrong... Guess I need to learn when a post is a good one or when it's bad...

Posted by Boner

Quoting The_Essence_Vortex: No, I compared the characters. Think about it. In the first XXX, he was white. In the Hitchhiker's book, Ford was portrayed as white. In the new XXX, he's black. In the Hitchhiker's movie, Ford is portrayed as black. See where I'm going?

The first XXX is a movie. The next one is a movie with a totally different character/story. Not the same character who mysteriously turned black.

The Hitchhiker's Guide movie is based off of the book with the same plot and same characters. In the book, Ford is white. In the BBC production, Ford was white. Now, suddenly he is black.

I don't see your basis for comparison.

There is one coming out soon starring Ice Cube.

Quoting Opeth: The first XXX is a movie. The next one is a movie with a totally different character/story. Not the same character who mysteriously turned black.

The Hitchhiker's Guide movie is based off of the book with the same plot and same characters. In the book, Ford is white. In the BBC production, Ford was white. Now, suddenly he is black.

I don't see your basis for comparison.

I thought the new XXX stars the same basic character. I guess my comparison was WAY off. I apologize. Next time, I'll check my sources first.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: The Hitchhiker's Guide movie is based off of the book with the same plot and same characters. In the book, Ford is white. In the BBC production, Ford was white. Now, suddenly he is black.

Adams himself said evey production of the novel should be different. Whether it be from style direction or little tweaks in the characters. So by Ford being black, you could say it's done only because it's what Adams wanted.

Posted by Arwon

Or because Mos Def was the best person for the role?

Posted by Dandelion

OOOOO, I saw the preview ^_^ It looks awesome.