Bummer...

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

I just found out something that made me sad.

Some of you may of heard about a game called Red Star. It's a game based on an indie comic book. I played a demo and immediately fell in love with it's slasher/shooter hybrid combo. But, when I was reading my EGM, they said that the game would probably never ship, as Acclaim went out of business one month before the game was to ship. First Vectorman, then Altered Beast, and now Red Star. Game companies are REALLY trying my patience lately...

Posted by bazariah

it bothers me too, when a decent game is set to appear only for it to be lost in development hell, and then crap which should never be released (fifa anyone?) gets released and sells llike hot cakes.... had the said titles appeared would the crap stuff sell as well? maybe the games companies should start taking risks, the way they used to, and maybe we might see more current classics appear

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

Quoting bazariah: it bothers me too, when a decent game is set to appear only for it to be lost in development hell, and then crap which should never be released (fifa anyone?) gets released and sells llike hot cakes.... had the said titles appeared would the crap stuff sell as well? maybe the games companies should start taking risks, the way they used to, and maybe we might see more current classics appear

I totally agree with you on this.

On a side note: is it just me or is almost every cool game coming out end up being cancelled? Think about it. The new Vectorman game: cancelled. The new Altered Beast game: cancelled (though why was it released in Japan and not here?!). Red Star: cancelled. If this cycle keeps continuing, we're going to end up with a whole lot of junk (just like you said). (Can we say Mario Masked Wrestling in the near future?)

Posted by vgmaster13

Red Star was fun but why. WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a fun game and deserved to be shipped but since they went out of biz and no one is buying the license to it , it will be another game that was good but never came out which is rare. and vectorman looked like a fun game and i would of bought both of these games but with bad luck they got cancell permentaly. *** **** !

i never did read red star comics but i liked the game

Posted by Arczu

Yes... it is indeed sad. Though I've never heared of red star, It is becoming increasingly often how much games are being cancelled... good ones too.

It's getting to the point where unless you know about a series of games, you better get opinions before you try or get the game. I haven't bough I game that I regreted yet, and I hope it stays that way. Original games are what most games are thirting for.

Posted by Big Boss

I played a Red Star demo on an OPM disc I have from months ago, and while I wasn't particularly impressed with it, it was easy to see why its simplistic and accessible gameplay would be fun to fans of the comics.

Red Star isn't cancelled as much as it is in limbo. Any publisher could pick up and release the game. Somehow though, it's one of the few licenses no one has bothered to purchase.