Lord of Spam

Posted by The Judge

I'd like to ask your thoughts on two classes: Sorcerer and Wizard.

Both obviously have their merits, granted.

Sorcerer:
Benefit: More spells per day, cast whatever you know whenever you want.
Downfall: Less spells known, less fine control over them (Metamagic feats)

Wizard:
Benefit: Unlimited spells known, more metamagic and item creation feats.
Downfall: Less spells per day, you have to pick which spells you're going to use at the beginning of the day, you have to lug a spellbook around.

Which do you prefer and why?

Posted by Stalolin

WIZARD

If you're with a party then spells per day shouldn't matter as much.

edit: unless your DM is a huge dick

Posted by Linko_16

Just think. Everywhere else, those two words mean pretty much the same thing.

Posted by Zeta

I misread sorcerer as soccer, somehow...

Posted by Linko_16

Wizard soccer would be awesome.

Almost as awesome as philosophy soccer.

But not quite.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Depends on what I'm doing.

If I want to play a class for a fun campaign where the only goal is to have a good time, then obviously I roll with sorcerer. The versatility and flexability of spell use allows for a more haphazard style of play, as well as allowing a certain wastefulness with spells due to the higher casts per day.

If I want to make a character as strong as possible (i.e. twinking via adding prestige classes, etc) then the higher amount of feats combined with faster spell progression of the mage makes it the better choice.

That being said, I like sorcerer better overall just for the fact that I hate having to set out spell lists each day. :/

Posted by Arcadios

Are we talking about WoW here?

Posted by Ant

no. dnd faggotry.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

DnD gets played at my work sometimes. I don't understand it. :(

Posted by Ant

RPG adventuran that you can write/play in using your IMAAAAAAGINATION. meh.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yeah, I understand that, but all this 4d3 **** confuses me.

Posted by The Judge

a d3, meaning a three sided die, doesn't actually exist. You just roll 1d4-1.

Posted by Slade

one four sided die... once?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[LEFT]SEE?! THIS IS WHY I GET CONFUSED
[/LEFT]

Posted by Slade

c'mon x, let's go make our own game. i'll be the wizard and i'll cast spells on u but im just startin so i only no a few spells

like 'tickle'

Posted by Arcadios

I CAN TEACH YOU SPLASH IF YOU WANT

Posted by Lord of Spam

xda

roll x number of dice with a sides

1d20: roll one twenty sided die
2d6: roll 2 dice with 6 sides each
10d10: ****ton of damage

Posted by Slade

Then wtf did Judge say here:

Quoting The Pudge: You just roll 1d4-1.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Lord of Spam;842593]xda

roll x number of dice with a sides

1d20: roll one twenty sided die
2d6: roll 2 dice with 6 sides each
10d10: ****ton of damage
You'd be surprised how much of DnD has suddenly become... Understandable. Wow.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Slade;842603]Then wtf did Judge say here:

If it lands on 4 roll again?

Posted by Lord of Spam

roll a 4 sided die. subtract one.

like, roll 3, its 2, etc. rolls cannot be reduced to 0 though, so really its weight to end on 1 (50% of 1 damage, 25% chance each for 2 or 3 damage).

this is the sort of stuff that twinking entails. like, should get an axe that does 1d12 or a sword that does 2d6?
[spoiler]the sword, since its damage range is 2-12 vs the axe's 1-12, giving it a slightly higher average damage).

Posted by The Judge

Plus a sword's crit range (if we're talking about a greatsword) is 19-20/x2, and to my knowledge a greataxe is just x2.

Yeah, you roll a d20 for everything. Every check you try to do. Let's say for example, you're a 5th level fighter, with a strength of 18. Fighters get a "Base Attack Bonus" equal to their level (so, +5), and a strength of 18 gives you a bonus of +4.

So then, when rolling an attack, let's say you get a 16. Your "total attack bonus" is your Base Attack Bonus plus your Strength Modifier. Thus, 5+4=9, so you add 9+16=25. The target you're trying to hit has an "Armor Class" (AC), and if it's 25 or lower, you hit. You then do damage. With the aforementioned greatsword, which does 2d6, you roll 2 six-sided dice. Because you're swinging it, you add your strength modifier to damage, so 2d6+4. However, you're using it in 2 hands (since it's big), so you get 1.5 your strength damage, not just 1, so the equation becomes: 4 (your strength mod) x 1.5 = 6. So then when you roll damage, it's 2d6+6.

Posted by Zeta

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my heeeeaaaaad

[quote]I CAN TEACH YOU SPLASH IF YOU WANT

"I swear to *** I'll ****ing kill you all when I evolve."

Posted by The Judge

Hell, I could teach you all to play D&D RIGHT NOW. FROM SCRATCH.

*goes to google a character sheet*

WHEN I DO IT YOU CAN LEARN IT IF YOU EVER WANT TO.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting The Judge: Plus a sword's crit range (if we're talking about a greatsword) is 19-20/x2, and to my knowledge a greataxe is just x2.

Yeah, you roll a d20 for everything. Every check you try to do. Let's say for example, you're a 5th level fighter, with a strength of 18. Fighters get a "Base Attack Bonus" equal to their level (so, +5), and a strength of 18 gives you a bonus of +4.

So then, when rolling an attack, let's say you get a 16. Your "total attack bonus" is your Base Attack Bonus plus your Strength Modifier. Thus, 5+4=9, so you add 9+16=25. The target you're trying to hit has an "Armor Class" (AC), and if it's 25 or lower, you hit. You then do damage. With the aforementioned greatsword, which does 2d6, you roll 2 six-sided dice. Because you're swinging it, you add your strength modifier to damage, so 2d6+4. However, you're using it in 2 hands (since it's big), so you get 1.5 your strength damage, not just 1, so the equation becomes: 4 (your strength mod) x 1.5 = 6. So then when you roll damage, it's 2d6+6.

yay, i get to explain crits!

he previously mentioned that it has a crit rating of 19-20/x2. This means that it threatens a critical hit on a roll of natural (i.e. number facing on the die) of 19 or 20. If you roll that, you reroll the attack, and if the reroll hits, the critical is confirmed. Then, you look at the multiplier, and essentially roll damage that many times. so the previously mentioned greatsword would now deal 4d6+12 damage.

The greataxe has a crit rating of x3, meaning that it only threatens on a natural 20 (5% chance), but deals 3 times the damage.

For the *******s out there, theres a prestige class in book of vile darkness that actually lets you stack a crit rating enlargement with a keen weapon (the keen enchantment doubles the crit rating of a weapon). BUT, doubled doubles are more like triples; each "double" just adds one more increment. So, on a rapier with a 18-20/x2 crit rating, you threaten on a 12-20. So basically, you've got a great sword in one hand 40% of the time, on a weapon that can be dual weilded. twiiink!

Posted by The Judge

Which prestige class was this? I must have missed it.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Zeta: "I swear to *** I'll ****ing kill you all when I evolve."

netman's avatar reminds me of Magikarp.

Posted by Linko_16

After reading all that, the sad thing is, I could probably really get into DnD.

also

I already know enough for this picture to amuse me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You enter a dark forum.

Posted by The Judge

The boards have an overpowering smell of semen and hot dogs. You see before you multiple passages to different tunnels, all pitch black. Atop each passage reads, in burning green lettering, "Daytime" "Nighttime" "Video" and "Picture." The door behind you suddenly slams shut, locking behind you.

What do you do?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Roll for initative.

Posted by Lord of Spam

no need, nothing has presented a combat situation

i drop my pants and begin to masturbate furiously

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Linko_16;842808][COLOR=indigo]After reading all that, the sad thing is, I could probably really get into DnD.

also

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Linko_16/1194259869281.gif[/IMG]

I already know enough for this picture to amuse me.
[/COLOR]

UPON STRIKING THE ENEMY YOUR SWORD BREAKS AND THE FRAGMENT GETS LODGED INTO YOUR EYE

YOU HAVE LOST 13 HEALTH POINTS OUT OF YOUR 14

monster attacks and rolls a 20

the monster's attack creates a miniature blackhole and you are sucked up

9001 damage

Posted by Lord of Spam

funny thing is there actually is an artifact (i.e. uberpowerful item of the ***s, think One Ring type stuff here) thats just a little portable black hole thing with a 30 foot range that the owner can move with his mind.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting The Judge: The boards have an overpowering smell of semen and hot dogs. You see before you multiple passages to different tunnels, all pitch black. Atop each passage reads, in burning green lettering, "Daytime" "Nighttime" "Video" and "Picture." The door behind you suddenly slams shut, locking behind you.

What do you do?

I summon a horde of dickgirls and send them running rampant through the tunnels.

Posted by Lord of Spam

i cast a quickened meteor swarm in the midst of them, killing them all.

Posted by The Judge

I wasn't aware you had 13th level spell slots. :X

Actually, since you're fapping, you'd have to also make it a silent and still spell, requiring a 15th level spell slot.

You are one fine mage.

Posted by Lord of Spam

20+ level ftw

actually, ive found that really high level campaigns get boring fast. balancing the powerlevel of encouters is rather tough when you're dealing with a party thats made up of people who are pretty much ***s. Its etiehr so easy that they just walk thruogh it, or so hard that its impossible. oh well.

Posted by The Judge

Just ad-hoc every single rule and make encounters that end when you decide they end. 8)

Posted by Lord of Spam

thats sum ****ty dming right thur

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Lord of Spam: i cast a quickened meteor swarm in the midst of them, killing them all.

I cast "Ban LoS."

Posted by Lord of Spam

cast a quickened maximized dispel magic to act as a counterspell as a swift action

and continue masturbating furiously

Posted by The Judge

D[COLOR="black"]a[/COLOR]mn, the boy can counterspell as a swift action even when it would require an immediate action since he didn't ready for it!

Jesus.

Posted by Lord of Spam

rules are for faggots

Posted by Arcadios

Screw the rules. I have money.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Arcadios;843201]Screw the rules. I have money.

OH MY *** A GIANT ROCK

OH MY *** ANOTHER GIANT ROCK

and that quote best be what i think it's from

Posted by Linko_16

Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk.

Posted by Lord of Spam

lolarama

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Stalolin: and that quote best be what i think it's from

Wouldn't be from anything else, bby. :-*