As if Star Wars Wasn't Bad Enough...

Posted by Linko_16

[quote]We were also told that a few anime characters will be included in the roster, though not all of them have been revealed. As of right now, there will be approximately 30 warriors to choose from, each with a number of outfits and weapon models to enjoy. Soulcalibur IV looks to be one of the most impressive titles in the franchise so far and will definitely please eager fans who are counting the days until July.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/867/867148p1.html

In b4 Naruto and Inuyasha.

Posted by Alastor

Say what now?

Seriously, this is just hilarious. They sure are trying their hardest to steal some thunder from Brawl.

Posted by Old_Snake

Hmm, well that could be interesting depending on anime franchises they draw from. If it is something like Naruto or Inuyasha, urg, but if they draw from say Kenshin or Berserk, it could be good and somewhat fit.

Posted by Alastor

They'll draw from whatever's popular to boost sales.

Naruto, InuYasha, Bleach... Basically, if it hasn't been aired on Cartoon Network, it doesn't stand a chance.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Alastor: They'll draw from whatever's popular to boost sales.

Naruto, InuYasha, Bleach... Basically, if it hasn't been aired on Cartoon Network, it doesn't stand a chance.

Well, I'm not too sure of that, I'm think that might be basing the anime pull ins off maybe the Japanese market instead of the American as the company is Japanese, after all.

Posted by Alastor

Pretty much whatever anime is on Cartoon Network is there because it achieved popularity in Japan. Two birds, one stone.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/11/give_me_a_spit_take_skit.jpg[/IMG]

WHAT?!

Posted by Speedfreak

TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS

Posted by Old_Snake

True, but this is also a lot more anime that was considerably successful in Japan and may be deemed more wanted by a Japanese public. Which, and I could be wrong in thinking this, takes a higher priority since that is their homeland

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Speedfreak: TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS TRUNKS

I'm going to be completely honest and say that Dragonball didn't cross my mind one time until I saw that post.

...He did use a sword for a while.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Alastor: I'm going to be completely honest and say that Dragonball didn't cross my mind one time until I saw that post.

...He did use a sword for a while.

And that DBZ live action is suppose to be coming out this year, I believe.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]Astro Boy?[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

Chick with the spike nipples and moon spear thing is apparently the cousin of Angel Mois from Keroro Gunso.

Posted by Old_Snake

Is she in the series, at all or is this some new addition?

Posted by Zeta

Completely new. :cookie:

Posted by Arcadios

I'd **** bricks of Simon was in it.

Posted by Roger Smith

Spike Spiegel would make me a happy fat anime weaboo faggot.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Old_Snake;842155]True, but this is also a lot more anime that was considerably successful in Japan and may be deemed more wanted by a Japanese public. Which, and I could be wrong in thinking this, takes a higher priority since that is their homeland

The Japanese care about what makes money. With the US Gaming market growing the way it is, it's likely they'll try to choose anime characters well known in the States AKA toonami/adultswim.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Arcadios: I'd **** bricks of Simon was in it.

But Kamina was the one with the sword. :(

Posted by Ant

*** ****, they're thinking of every single gimmick possible to put in this game? what else could be in there?

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Ant: what else could be in there?

Posted by Linkman

Instakill with Death Note and creepy laugh.

Posted by Alastor

Press B/O to write in the Death Note for an instant win.

NOT A BROKEN CHARACTER AT ALL.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Sailor Moon?:(

Posted by David M. Awesome

So Teen Titans might be in it, amirite? 8U

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Kenshin Himura ftw.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Skitzo Control: Sailor Moon?:(

Actually, this would make complete sense. She has a variety of weapons and outfits and would probably translate well for everyone.

Nah, they wouldn't be able to get her good English voice actress (2nd one), and they'd settle for the crappy third one they had who sounded like she was on varying doses of crack and helium at the same time. Now, if they just subtitled her and used her old Japanese voice actress(also played Excel from Excel Saga), that'd be a flying unicorn of a different color. Sexiest voice ever.

Posted by Dexter

Sora Naegino from Kaleido Star! She's an amazing, artistic gymnast who specializes in rhythm and could perform just about any maneuver possible! Her weapon would be diabolo.

"Gymnastiko"

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Zeta: Completely new. :cookie:

Well, if that is the case, maybe that aren't really putting anime characters themselves in the game, just new character with ties to that animes continuity.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Fate: Actually, this would make complete sense. She has a variety of weapons and outfits and would probably translate well for everyone.

Makes sense, but does Sailor Moon use a weapon. It's been a good long while since I've seen any of the show, but I only remember her using magic and her Tiara

She got various wands throughout the later seasons of the show. First she had a small moon wand, which she could use in her left hand in Soul Calibur IV, with any of the variations of the Moon Scepter in her right hand. But if they put Sailor Moon in the game, Tuxedo Mask's gotta be in it, too, I say. Tossing a rose down and having it stick in the floor while your opponent grips his foot in pain and hops around would be awesome. With the Spanish guitar sound effect! XD

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Old_Snake: but does Sailor Moon use a weapon

Quoting Fate: She has a variety of weapons

:cookie:

Posted by Old_Snake

Oh, well I thought it was blatantly obvious I asking more about physical weapons over magical, since I did say afterwards the bit about the magic and tiara. I guess it's good to pick and chose words out of context to the rest of the sentence:)

Posted by maian

come on yugioh come on yugioh

Posted by Old_Snake

How would that work, like the Pokemon Trainer from Brawl with you switching out between cards or something?

Personally, I just hope the characters fit with the rest of the cast. I mean, I guess that was tossed out when Vader and Yoda were included, though

Posted by Alastor

You asked if she used any weapons at all.

Quoting Old_Snake: I only remember her using magic and her Tiara

The fact that she uses magic doesn't mean that she had a magical weapon. Many characters just use their hands for magic.

I'm not taking anything out of context. :link:

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Alastor: You asked if she used any weapons at all.

The fact that she uses magic doesn't mean that she had a magical weapon. Many characters just use their hands for magic.

I'm not taking anything out of context. :link:

With the second part of my sentence I was trying to imply physical weapons, in my head it sounded fine, I guess not so much when read by others. Plus that was a meant as more of tongue-in-cheek response opposed to a serious rebuttal, hence the :)

I remember her like shotting magic from her wand and using a magic-ball thing, but I don't remember her actually using a physical weapon in like melee combat. It has been awhile, though

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Kenshin Himura ftw.

Yeah, I said that earlier, as well. To me he would be the perfect fit for SC.

Posted by maian

BUT YU GI OH IS SO KOOL

Posted by Old_Snake

If we're going to talk about card wielding fighter I'd say Mad Hatter would be a must. There is a version of the ol' Hatter in Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, right?

Yeah, it was easy enough to explain Link magically traveling to Earth. He didn't have a Hyrule stage in the game. Darth Vader and Yoda have arenas which could only be in a galaxy far, far away. Unless the story goes something like Vader is bombarding the planet Dagobah from orbit when a massive spacial anomaly (which is Trek, more than Wars) swallows the planet and his Star Destroyer, transporting them to the Milky Way where they must do battle for the Soul Edge/Calibur that will return them to their rightful place in the Universe.

Posted by Old_Snake

Wow, if that ended up being the storyline I would either laugh my head off or not play the game, at all.

Posted by Zeta

They should throw Lloyd in again.

Or PAC-MAN!

Lloyd rocked in Legends. I'd definitely learn him if he appears in IV.

Posted by Linko_16

A ZP friend told me that apparently a few of the anime characters have already been revealed.

http://kotaku.com/372244/new-soul-calibur-iv-character-has-sharp-nipples

http://www.soularchive.jp/SC4/screen_shots/index.html

The first is apparently from Sgt. Frog, which I haven't seen, so I guess I will before the game is over. The second, well, I don't recognize her at all.

Either way, I'm actually kind of relieved. I've seen these pictures before without knowing these were anime characters, yet I didn't suspect a thing. Like the lineup of Soul Calibur II cameo characters, they all fit in quite well with the rest of the Souls.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[LEFT]Haruhi. It's gonna be Haruhi.
[/LEFT]

Posted by David M. Awesome

I want to see Card Captor Sakura. That would be the most bass *** thing EVER.

Posted by S

Yoda?! **** YEAHHHHHH

Posted by Arcadios

[quote=Lunko 64]Sgt. Frog

HOW'S THIS SUPPOSE TO WORK?
He's smaller than Yoda.....

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting The X: [LEFT]Haruhi. It's gonna be Haruhi.
[/LEFT]

Now that would put me over the edge of buying this game. Both versions.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Arcadios: HOW'S THIS SUPPOSE TO WORK?

Frog ain't doing any fighting or anything. What does his size matter?

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Arcadios: HOW'S THIS SUPPOSE TO WORK?

A character FROM Sgt. Frog.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Soul Calibur vs Capcom vs Mortal Kombat vs DCU vs Marvel vs Star Wars vs Anime vs SNK vs Guilty Gear vs Smash Bros vs DoA vs Killer Instinct vs Clay Fighters vs Virtua Fighter vs Pit Fighter vs KARATE CHAMP is what I see in the future.

Holy crap is that a liscencing nightmare that would make no one any money. It'd be awesome for gamers, but impossible to manage for the developer(s)/publisher(s).

Posted by Degeneration

From the creator of a manga/anime called Gantz:
http://www.cng4u.com/2008/05/14/soul4-xiuluo/

:D, if you know what I mean.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

all right, more scantily clad fighters! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DOA DOA DOA DOA!

Posted by Shade

DOA makes up for it in *** pounding difficulty, though. =/

SO WHO'S EXCITED FOR SC4

Posted by WillisGreeny

ME ME ME!!! But not really. :horse:

I'm excited if they make an arcade version, or allow Vader to be downloaded to the 360 version later.

Posted by maian

I hope it's more like SC2 and less like SC3. =X

Mainly because SC3 didn't have Vs. Team Battle. :cookie:

Posted by #061402

Anime characters? You best be joking, Namco.

Check out the art galleries for the previous games in the series. All of the character designs are done in somewhat of an anime style. Having manga/anime artists design the characters isn't that much of a stretch.

So yeah, the covers are laughably bad. Woooooow.

Posted by Skyway

Posted by #061402

Whoa, Sigfried is still around, too. Awesome.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Screw anime it has enough hawt chicks as it is. How about adding some cool characters for once

Posted by Shade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: So yeah, the covers are laughably bad. Woooooow.

They're not that bad.

Yeah they are. Yoda and Vader are on the covers. It's bad enough to have them in the game, but on the covers? Haha, oh wow.

Posted by #061402

Quoting TimeSkipz: Screw anime it has enough hawt chicks as it is. How about adding some cool characters for once

Siegfried alone is "cooler" than any other character they could throw in.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=#061402;855571]Siegfried alone is "cooler" than any other character they could throw in.

They could add Siegfrieds brother or something. The way this is going expect baby gawdzilla to make a guest appearance

Posted by Shade

Cloud and Sephiroth to be in Soul Calibur V.

Best selling SC game yet.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Shade: Cloud and Sephiroth to be in Soul Calibur V.

You best be joking.
...Although I can see that happening. What better way to sell billions of games to horny fangirls/boys?

Posted by Degeneration

It's gonna be awesome when SC returns the favor and Lizardman shows up in Force Unleashed.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Shade: Cloud and Sephiroth to be in Soul Calibur V.

I could actually see something like that happening. If Namco went to Square for characters, that'd be the top pick I'm sure

Posted by Linko_16

Hey, I did make a Red Mage in the custom character generator of SCIII.

Posted by Shade

I made Edge from FF4. :cool:

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=Old_Snake;857071]I could actually see something like that happening. If Namco went to Square for characters, that'd be the top pick I'm sure

The Synergy costs make it unlikely- but still possible.

Posted by Old_Snake

You know Namco would trade all the testicles they had if they could get those characters. My ***, Final Fantasy fans would would trade in their own nuts to have them in SC.

Posted by Breakman

genndy tartovsky should design everything having to do with the series
i always thought every single one of the characters he made up for samurai jack were extremely ill-conceived, corny pieces of trash (with the exception of jack himself and i guess aku) but when clone wars came around it's like everything fit perfectly

Posted by Linko_16

I assumed Dan was going to post this, but seeing as he hasn't...

http://kotaku.com/5022734/soulcalibur-iv-adds-one-more-female-fighter

The title made me facepalm, but she's pretty badass, and doesn't seem to suffer from the usual "LOOK DOWN MY SHIRT" syndrome that has plagued all other she-fighers so far. Heck, I always like the heavy-weapon swingers anyway.

When I saw this I lol'd pretty hard because she looks exactly like my character from Tenchu Z minus the stupid weapon. Everything else is exact. haha, soul calibur.

Posted by Shade

Hahaha, 6.5GB instillation for the PS3. That's pretty ****in' funny.

""Those numbers are not accurate and are significantly overblown," a Namco Bandai rep told Kotaku. "The actual amount of space for the Soulcalibur IV install and save data file are inline with other games requiring this feature.""

how does I re-hurrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by Shade

To lazy to read official news.

It's right under the link you looked at. Basically in the title.

Posted by Vbty3

Soulcaliber has disappointed me...

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vbty3: Soulcaliber has disappointed me...

Darkness.......

Posted by CookieSlayer666

I'm actually looking forward to this next Soul Calibur game. I've always been a fan of them, it's odd that they'd pick Star Wars characters to go along with it...

Posted by Speedfreak

Been playing 3 a lot recently. It's pretty amazing how stupid almost all the characters are. WTB a Cassandra that isn't annoying and doesn't dress like a 14 year old slut in training. Someone get Ivy a coat, too.

Posted by CookieSlayer666

Yeah they did go a bit overboard on the boobage. I mean, do their breasts really have to bounce THAT much?

Posted by Shade

Yes.

Oddly enough, boobs in video games help with sales, who knew!

Yeah, I can't buy IV. I had it in my hand and I almost felt embarrassed to put it on the counter, so I put it back =/

SFIV please.

Posted by Degeneration

Sucks that the new "anime" characters are all clones.

They're actual clones? I noticed a couple identical finishers, but I didn't think the moveset was the same. Shame.

Posted by maian

Most of the new characters we saw are just "bonus characters". A bit like Berserker, Assassin etc from SC2 but with more personality.

Anyway, I played some today. I'll buy it on the PS3 when I get it, but for now my friend rented it. It's pretty fun, I'd say. But, haha, wow, Yoda is SO broken.

He's ungrabbable.

Posted by Linko_16

It's out already? Had no idea.

Posted by #061402

Coming out tomorrow here.

Posted by G-Sides

we rented it and tbqh it's actually pretty fun :S i miss the thrill of unlocking a zillion weapons like in SC2 and the whole character customization thing is a bit overdone, but it's still a fun play. i've been playing on xbl this morning (and getting my *** reamed nearly every match) and having absolutely no lag problems. a few matches had milisecond delays but nothing that took away from the gameplay. the single layer compain leaves a fair bit to be desired but the xbl experience is enough for me.

protip: pick yoshimitsu

edit- yoda is really funky to play with. can't grab him and he's slow as hell but he's very aerodynamic and hard to hit if in the middle of a missed combo or something. there's another jedi in the game called The Apprentice who's pretty ballin. pick him > yoda.

Posted by #061402

The boobage is a bit overdone...

Posted by G-Sides

eh, imo the same as in sc2 and 3, cept for the new girl with the umbrella, CHRIST she has huge tits :/ ridiculous.

everything else is schwang though 8-)

Posted by #061402

Umbrella chick? Haven't seen that one. Yet. I think. And with boobage I meant more the jiggling of them. Have they never heard of sports bras? Geez..

Posted by Speedfreak

WWWWHHHHHYYYYY IIIIIISSSS CAAAASSSAAAANNNDRRRAAAA SSOOOO SLLLLOOOWWWWWWW.

Seigfried is bullshit, Star Wars characters are stupid, armour destruction is gimmicky and just an excuse to show more flesh.

/thread

Posted by #061402

The single player was a bit... malnutritioned.

And I liked Siegfried better as Nightmare.

Posted by Noir

You know, the French have a saying, going something like "Breasts should be just big enough to fit in the palm of a man's hand" (roughly translated by me :)
Apparently the Japaneses strongly disagree.

Posted by maian

Apparently tons of people think Ivy is hot, or sexy or something.

I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Noir: You know, the French have a saying, going something like "Breasts should be just big enough to fit in the palm of a man's hand" (roughly translated by me :)
Apparently the Japaneses strongly disagree.

I like that saying. Got it in French?

Quoting maian: Apparently tons of people think Ivy is hot, or sexy or something.

I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION.

I'm guessing it's because she's dressed like some 1940's New York skank, with a little extra twist to the outfit.

Quoted post: The boobage is a bit overdone...

filling in for the void that is DoA.

Quoted post: I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION.

gamers. big boobs, barely any clothes. explanation granted.

Posted by maian

Disgusting. :(

Yeah! I find that stuff more funny than anything.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian;869642]Apparently tons of people think Ivy is hot, or sexy or something.

I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION.

The woman dresses like a hooker, has huge tits, long legs and a toned body. It's not exactly a mystery. The fact that they've openly stretched this image in an attempt to get people to buy what's essentially been the same fucking game for the last 3 iterations is sickening, however.

Posted by Noir

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Shadow_Elf/ivy.jpg[/IMG]
WE COULD EAT FOR DAYS!!!!!

To #061402:
I don't really remember, it would be just as rough as in English. My version would be "Les seins doivent

Posted by Noir

To #061402:
I don't really remember, it would be just as rough as in English. My version would be "Les seins doivent

I'm all about Cassandra, myself. What can I say? I likes me some cheerleaders.

Posted by #061402

[QUOTE=Noir;869798][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Shadow_Elf/ivy.jpg[/IMG]
WE COULD EAT FOR DAYS!!!!!

To #061402:

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Prince Shondronai;869804]I'm all about Cassandra, myself. What can I say? I likes me some cheerleaders.

I liked her viking outfit in SCII. It wasn't that slutty and the helmet was hilarious.

hopefully this gets a PC port and we see some nude mods. Skip the pleasantries of half-clothing.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

There was a DOAX2 hack for modded XBoxs that just went all-out titties and it was pretty hilarious.

That's too far though. It's one thing to play SC but DoAX? Nah.

It's like the difference between oblivion boob mod and just playing sexy beach

Posted by #061402

****, Cassandra even has an attack where she assaults her opponent with her ***.

Posted by Shade

I've always been a fan of Seung-Mina, personally. I like me a cute peasant.

Posted by Linko_16

I'm down with more or less any of them except Ivy or Setsuka. Those *****es are ugly.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

well, this game owns

in an ironic way

Posted by TimeSkipz

HELL YEAH! KICK ***