Xbox problem

Posted by Crazy K

For some time now, my Xbox has taken a while to get a game going. I'd usually get a disk read error and try again. But yeah It's more so annoying because I can get them to play, but sometimes it takes a while because I either have to clean the disk many times or take the game out and try again.

So what could be the problem for this? My games don't really have any serious scratches or anything. Is the disk drive going gay or something?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yep. This happened to Angelwing.

Posted by Crazy K

Oh *** ****, not good.

I have a question though. Since I purchased the Xbox from my sister, and I didn't get the warranty, how much would I have to pay to get it repaired? Could I get it repaired for free and only pay for shipping or something?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Try taking it back to Walmart/wherever she got it. Technically speaking, all 360s now come with a two (?) year warranty, so you might have it by default.

Posted by Moogs

It comes with a one year warranty at Wal-mart and you can buy an extra two year one for $25.00. Least, I just bought a new 360 (been without one for a little under a year) because my brother took it to college.

Posted by Crazy K

I registered the system on Xbox.com and it says it's not under warranty anymore. So yeah that sucks.

My brother can get it to play easily. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but he seems to turn it on, put the game in, turn it off for like 10 seconds, then turns the machine on again, and it works. The only question, is for how long?

Posted by Crazy K

Yeah I'm officially screwed. It takes forever to get GTAIV to play. I got it going when I got home, but when my brother wanted to play, it took about an hour or so trying to get it to work, and then I had to call tech support to which they suggested I get it repaired.

Since I'm not under warranty anymore, I'll have to pay $99 plus shipping and taxes, that's ****ing ridiculous.

Posted by CookieSlayer666

Yeah you can't take consoles back to anywhere... Microsoft sent out a bulletin to tell everyone to send it back to them for repairs. Trust me, I tried to do that when mine got the ring of death, nobody would take it... although I didn't mention the red ring. I even knew someone who worked at target and she tried it and it wouldn't even go through the system. I'd just send it back and pay the $99... better than having a large paper weight.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Moogs: It comes with a one year warranty at Wal-mart and you can buy an extra two year one for $25.00. Least, I just bought a new 360 (been without one for a little under a year) because my brother took it to college.

Holy ****. Costs 50 euros to extend the warranty in Europe. What a rip-off.

After moving to the US from the UK, I've come to realise how much you get ripped of in Europe... 50 pounds for a game, the equivalent of $100 or $60 for a new game? Take your pick.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

dead disc drives seem to be a much bigger problem than RRoD from what I've seen (even happened to me!) but MS brushes that fact under the rug.

Posted by Crazy K

I think that's actually what happened to me. I rarely got the RRoD, but it just took ages to get a game to play. But yeah, I'm glad I got it repaired. :)

I had certain games crash, but it would always be at specific points. Then I got the red ring... No crashes now thankfully. Although now my mic doesn't work, and after 3 controllers, 2 headsets and a different memory card that's been formatted, I've come to realise it's my console. New one for me soon I guess! :)

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's probably your settings.

Nah I checked that, I took off my hard drive and stuck a memory card I had in on another account, and still the same problem. I've checked everything! I don't wanna wipe everything clean though, would be pointless if it didn't help.

Posted by Kit

If your NAT's set to strict or moderate, sometimes it'll prevent you from talking to or hearing other players.

Nah it's nothing like that, I haven't changed a thing. And it's odd, when you flick the switch to turn the mic on and off, it'll flicker on the screen, so I know it can receive input, but it just doesn't work.

Posted by snakester

Make sure your 360 isn't dusty on the inside. I know dust is a problem with some systems. My ps2 was getting a disk read error then I cleaned it and solved that problem. Same with my comp. It wouldn't read some of the disks so I opened it up and cleaned it, next thing I know it was working like a charm

You can get a can of aerosol 'air' that'll do the trick. You can get it most places; Staples, Best Buy, Target, Walmart... Just look around and you'll find it. Just make sure you unplug the console before you do anything. :)