Game Development School ads...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I have seriously not seen a single game development school ad that isn't the very epitome of inane stupidity. How can a place teach you to design something as complex as a video game when they can't even design ads that don't end up looking retarded? Take this one, for instance:
[img]http://www.smitesoftware.com/images/gsad.JPG[/img]
The subject looks more confused than thoughtful. Probably because he's attempting to envision how his game will play holding the controller backwards up to his lips. Don't even get me started on the TV ads, either.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[youtube=UJ-QSJmEgHU]UJ-QSJmEgHU[/youtube]

Aaaaaaaaand /thread.

I know. I know! Must...defeat...boss...while reading...cue-cards!

Wait...I missed something there...Nevermind! I stand by my derision!

Posted by Crazy K

I been interested in Full Sail for some time now, but not for gaming. I remember getting that information package in the mail with that picture on it.

As for commercials, wow, some of the most boring commercials you'll ever see.

Posted by Echo

It's true, but it can be said for most schools, regardless of what they teach. For gaming, though, I guess they just try to be more "edgy" or something, or try to appeal to "Generation X", and just wind up looking really really stupid.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;841948][youtube=UJ-QSJmEgHU]UJ-QSJmEgHU[/youtube]

Aaaaaaaaand /thread.

It's true! We all sit on desks to test games.

That's true, I suppose, Echo. I remember one commercial for the local college I went to to get my BS classes out of the way before I transfered to the school I really wanted to go to in Iowa. It proclaimed "carpeted floors!" as one of the school's selling points.

Posted by David M. Awesome

In Arizona we have at least three Universities that offer gaming programs. There's ITT Tech, UAT (which I attended for semester before pretty much saying, "Well **** this"), and Collin's College.

Collin's has some pretty fantastic commercials. Not as good as tightening up the graphics, but they're still pretty great. "These guys, are doing homework. OH YEAH, HOMEWORK!" THEY'RE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, *****, DON'T YOU LIE TO ME.

Is it Collin's College or ITT that has the commercial with a Silver Surfer knock-off rendered walking with what appears to be a Jello Physics Engine?

Posted by David M. Awesome

I'm not actually sure, it's been a while since I've seen it.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Dudeee I've almost got it

We need to tighten up the graphics, and we're accomplishing that with our playstation controllers.

Posted by Speedfreak

Hurry up, I need you to design another entire game this afternoon.

No, no Speedfreak. She's already got the games, she just needs them designed.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Prince Shondronai;842654]We need to tighten up the graphics, and we're accomplishing that with our playstation controllers.

They can, just not with controllers. They probably use a development unit, but still a whole game to be designed in one afternoon is crazy

Posted by Ant

SIGN UP NOW AND GET FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE GAME DEMOS! FREE. GAME. DEMOS! ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES!

Posted by Big Boss

Unfortunately, the ads aren't handled by the game development staff, but whoever Full Sail hires to advertise all their programs.

Still, the video one is a classic for all the wrong reasons. Answering a co-worker with, "I'll be updating the enemy AI with the new goal-oriented action planning system, reading the Wii documentation, and tightening up the graphics on level 3" never gets old. The short chuckle followed by sighing and a defeated head shake is a guaranteed response.

[quote]I remember getting that information package in the mail with that picture on it.

Following up with that package was probably the smartest decision of my life. Who knew subscribing to 7 gaming magazines at one time (EGM, GMR, OPM, OXM, Nintendo Power, GamePro, PSM) would get their attention?

Posted by WillisGreeny

Sooo subscribing to gamer mags can actually get me somewhere?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss;842723][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen] goal-oriented action planning system[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen][/COLOR][/FONT]

Algorithms make me salivate...

Heh. They're like mini soap operas for gamers. "Inject him with 40CCs of Astoflexstizine! Stat!"

Posted by Borealis

Gawrsh, parents just don't understand.

Posted by nintendope

i remember years back reading an article in nintendo power about a school called Digi-pen. i believe it was located in canada and out west somewhere, but i always wanted to go there. i wonder if it's still around.

Digi-Pen's still around. I think they have more than one, too, now.

Posted by nintendope

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Digi-Pen's still around. I think they have more than one, too, now.

interesting. i'd like to check it out, im gonna do some research on it.