Mortal Kombat Vs DCU

Posted by Old_Snake

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mortalkombat/news.html?sid=6189513&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Yeah, at first I thought it was a late April fool's or something, but apparently it is an official game koming soon. In the link is a trailer which Sub-Zero takes on the Dark Knight, Batman. It's due out later this year for the PlayStation3 and Xbox 360.

Well, I have to say this is an interesting turn of events. I enjoy Mortal Kombat and am a fan of many comics in general. I'll probably be checking this out, at least, though the expectations are somewhat low after Deception, but we'll see.

Posted by muffla

gonna sucks, little bloos, and no fatalities (kotaku) and besides batman DC sucks

Posted by David M. Awesome

Who's bright idea was this, anyway?

Posted by Borealis

Uh, Midway's idea.

I already looked up on earlier today, and I think this is ridiculous. It's not much more than an attempt to reverse the whole 'this is becoming stale' thing with some strange type of uninspired paradigm shift.

Plus, DC characters aren't nearly as interesting as Marvel ones. For hand-to-face c(k?)ombat, anywho.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Hmm. I've never gotten into Mortal Kombat, but I'm a fan of the DCU. I'll check it out if there's a good character selection from DC, but I'll probably never play as any of the MK characters.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE

... wait.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=The X;841313]GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE

... wait.

no no, the HORRID music will come in the sequel, mk vs. dcu 2

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Borealis: I already looked up on earlier today, and I think this is ridiculous. It's not much more than an attempt to reverse the whole 'this is becoming stale' thing with some strange type of uninspired paradigm shift.

The exact same thing could be said about the Marvel Vs Capcom games, yet they turned out great.

[QUOTE=Borealis;841298]Plus, DC characters aren't nearly as interesting as Marvel ones. For hand-to-face c(k?)ombat, anywho.)

Not too sure what you mean by this statement, but DC heroes like Batman, The Question, Karate Kid, The al Ghuls (primarily Ra's and Talia), Deathstroke, Green Arrow and Wonder Woman are all DC characters who excel in hand-to-hand and/or weapon combat. There are others, that's just all that comes to mind. Though I'm not sure what you mean by aren't as interesting in hand-to-hand combat over Marvel characters?

Admittedly, it is a departure from the usually MK stuff. No excessive gore or fatalities (which put the game on the map to begin with), but I don't really think it should be completely dismissed.

Heh, yeah. I can't see Scorpion ripping Superman's spine out.

I hope Doomsday is in the game. Superboy can't be, because of the lawsuit that's going on right now over his name, unfortunately. I'd like to see all 5 human Green Lanterns, but they'll probably only put Hal and John in at the most. Azrael...Aw, yeah...but he won't be in it.

Doomsday is the secret final boss.

Posted by Big Boss

Heh, I read on it while working at Midway, but I never thought that would be the very next MK game. I always thought it was a far away project.

I'm looking forward to it. While I never got to play Armageddon for more than a few minutes, I've been a fan of the series from MK1 all the way to Deception (my personal favorite thanks to Konquest mode and online play). Plus, while it doesn't compare to my weekly Marvel pile, I'm still a fan of DCU. As long as Bats, Hal and Darkseid are there, I'll be happy.

The missing gory fatalities are a necessity, and the new stuff they're adding to their 3D fighting mechanics look much more interesting. Now, if they keep the theme of the last two games and have a DCU/MK adventure game, and the crazy number of cool unlockables, then it'll be a must-buy. It's about time DC got a good game (although JL Heroes was ok), even if it needs to walk the path Marvel already succeeded on over a decade ago.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I've always enjoyed it when completely different universes are are brought together (Marvel vs Capcom, Kingdom Hearts, and even Smash Bros), so i'll be getting this on day one despite not knowing what the actual quality of the game will be.

Besides, I'm a huge fan of both Mortal Kombat and the DC Universe, Batman specifically.[/COLOR]

Posted by Pit

This looks pretty cool. MK with Batman? Sold.

Hmm. I almost forgot to curse Midway wildly for not making arcade games anymore. That was a close one. Curse you, Midway! Mortal Kombat started in the arcades! Bring this game to the arcades!

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Hmm. I almost forgot to curse Midway wildly for not making arcade games anymore. That was a close one. Curse you, Midway! Mortal Kombat started in the arcades! Bring this game to the arcades!

The Mortal Kombat series have been out of the arcades for some time, haven't they?

Posted by Speedfreak

Marvel VS Capcom, Mortal Kombat VS DC...Guilty Gear VS Dragonball?

Quoting Old_Snake: The Mortal Kombat series have been out of the arcades for some time, haven't they?

Yes, and every time they make a new one without an arcade version, I curse them.

And I'd say Guilty Gear vs. Jump Superstars, Speedfreak. Covers more ground that way.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Guilty Gear vs Image Comics.

SOL BADGUY VS INVINCIBLE YEEEEEAH

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Prince Shondronai;841518]Yes, and every time they make a new one without an arcade version, I curse them.

And I'd say Guilty Gear vs. Jump Superstars, Speedfreak. Covers more ground that way.

I'd rather have the entire DB cast than any Naruto crap in there.

EDIT: Screw it, Street Fighter VS Dragonball would be better. I wanna see a Hadoken and a Kamehameha cancel eachother out.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting The X: Guilty Gear vs Image Comics.

SOL BADGUY VS INVINCIBLE YEEEEEAH

Lol, Witchblade's costume would be enough to warrant a M-rating right off the bat.

Posted by Zeta

Now for Marvel vs Melty Blood...

Personally, I'd like to see Clay Fighter vs One Piece.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Mace: the Dark Age vs. Samurai Shodown

Now that's a fight I want to see.:D

Posted by Bebop

Rule 1 of the universe: Batman always wins. So what would be the point in this game?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Bebop;841750]Rule 1 of the universe: Batman always wins.
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Bane-breaks-Batman-497pg21.png[/IMG]

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting The X: [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Bane-breaks-Batman-497pg21.png[/IMG]

True, but in the end, Batman still won the overall war against both Bane and his overly violent replacement. :)

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Bane-breaks-Batman-497pg21.png[/IMG]

Note the rule is Batman wins, not that he never gets hurt. Bane got his *** handed to him in the end.

So, to answer your question, the point of this game is to win as Batman, or to "hurt" Batman if you're playing as someone else.

Posted by Skitzo Control

So, if I play as Batman, I win?

Eventually, but you might get "hurt" a lot before you actually do.

Posted by Sr. Arrogant Bastard

there are fatalities for everyone exept the DC super heroes, all the mk guys and the DC villains will have fatalities while the superheroes will have brutalities.