Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patroits

Posted by Old_Snake

I know there was a thread in the future systems/games about the size of MGS4 and such, but I didn't see a general discussion thread and since the game is less then 2 months away I figured it wouldn't have to be in the future boards. If I'm in the wrong I'm sure the mods will delete/move/merge at will to correct my mistake.

Anyway, main reason I started the thread was wondering if anyone else got the Sagas Vol. 2 bonus, yet and if anyone here will be participating in the online beta or anything?

Also, anybody have any pre-orders down for the game? I've already pre-ordered the Limited Edition and such.

Posted by Fate

My boyfriend did the preorder thing and we got our Saga disc. I think I can still get my own copy if I hurry.

Posted by TimeSkipz

I'm in the Metal Gear Online beta, it's gonna be awesome

Posted by maian

Bleh, Id've done all this crap by now...IF I had a fscking PS3. >_>

I can't really describe how bad I want the Saga/Beta/Limited Editions, but I simply cannot afford it. It's looking reaaally unlikely now that I'll even get that PS3 bundle I was hoping to get.

Thanks for charging $500 for a game system, Sony. :cookie:

Posted by mis0

Is the Beta available for download yet? I preordered and got a Metal Gear Saga 2 disc with a code, but the account management thing keeps saying that my code is invalid.

They said "April 17th" but no time was stated as to when the thing would actually be online...

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting mis0: Is the Beta available for download yet? I preordered and got a Metal Gear Saga 2 disc with a code, but the account management thing keeps saying that my code is invalid.

They said "April 17th" but no time was stated as to when the thing would actually be online...

Well, that's not right, I just downloaded the program this mourning. According to my Saga coupon the gameplay portion won't open until the 21st of this month, but you should be able to download the program today, though.

I did get the program, but it says I need an update, but unfortunately I'm on a crappy connection here at school and will most likely have to wait until I go home to download it.

Quoting maian: Bleh, Id've done all this crap by now...IF I had a fscking PS3. >_>

I can't really describe how bad I want the Saga/Beta/Limited Editions, but I simply cannot afford it. It's looking reaaally unlikely now that I'll even get that PS3 bundle I was hoping to get.

Thanks for charging $500 for a game system, Sony. :cookie:

Well, that sucks, especially if you're a fan of the series. I'm sure a 360 version will come along eventually if you have one of those. As far as Wii, not too sure on that part, though.

Posted by muffla

I dont think they will release a wii version, and if they do chances are it will be much smaller, or multipule disks

Posted by mis0

Quoting Old_Snake: Well, that's not right, I just downloaded the program this mourning. According to my Saga coupon the gameplay portion won't open until the 21st of this month, but you should be able to download the program today, though.

I did get the program, but it says I need an update, but unfortunately I'm on a crappy connection here at school and will most likely have to wait until I go home to download it.

I guess I'll have to call their tech support people or something, because my code is clearly bad.

Posted by mis0

It would seem that several people got 9-digit codes in the Saga discs (as did I), and these are apparently defective. I just wrote Konami support. Hopefully they won't ignore me and they'll furnish a new code before the game is playable on the 21st.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting mis0: It would seem that several people got 9-digit codes in the Saga discs (as did I), and these are apparently defective. I just wrote Konami support. Hopefully they won't ignore me and they'll furnish a new code before the game is playable on the 21st.

Really, I got a 9-digit code as well and was able to download it fine. I've had some problems downloading the update, but I'm pretty sure that is my connection much more then the actual things fault.

That does suck though, hopefully they get you a new code or new way to download it.

Posted by mis0

I was sorta confused, because some people said their 9-digits worked...

[url=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/867/867237p1.html]This[/url] is the story.

Posted by Old_Snake

Oh, well, looks like Konami has dropped the ball in multiple areas with this beta.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-135786.aspx

Basically, and this was something new to me, is you can't just jump in and play the Beta or the actual game when it hits. You'll need a 'Konami ID' to get in. Unfortunately, the site got so swamped, it imploded or something, so now it is down and 'under maintenance'. Whether or not this will fixed by the 21st remains to be seen, so it seems quite a few of us who got the Beta may just have it as loose weight for a while.

Quoting muffla: I dont think they will release a wii version, and if they do chances are it will be much smaller, or multipule disks

Yeah, I don't see a Wii version likely, either, but let's only hope something may come around for the Wii-only users.

EDIT: BTW, did anyone here get a Konami ID before the site went down?

Posted by mis0

What a mess. I guess the only upside to it is that hopefully they'll be better prepared for the launch as a result of the failure now. Still disappointing.

Posted by maian

I think you'd have to be retarded to think a Wii version will come along. Not happening. :cool: Shame, though, because it's all I own. Anyway, I intend to get a job ASAP and get me a PS3 AND MGS4 as soon as possible. I only regret that I'll probably be missing the launch, though. I'm a huuuge fan. >_>

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting mis0: What a mess. I guess the only upside to it is that hopefully they'll be better prepared for the launch as a result of the failure now. Still disappointing.

Agreed, let's at least hope that this will lead to some kind of clean-up of the problem before the actual game. I'm quite disappointed that Konami didn't put more work into, what has to be, their biggest and most anticipated game of '08.

Quoting maian: I think you'd have to be retarded to think a Wii version will come along. Not happening. :cool: Shame, though, because it's all I own. Anyway, I intend to get a job ASAP and get me a PS3 AND MGS4 as soon as possible. I only regret that I'll probably be missing the launch, though. I'm a huuuge fan. >_>

Well, I was trying to be optimistic, but yeah, a Wii version of MGS4 is unlikely, maybe a spin-off or something.

In other MGS4 news: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167464

Posted by maian

Yeah, I don't actually think you're dumb or anything. I just know it wouldn't come out for Wii. =X And, funny article. I love how many times Kojima has said things like that for MGS4. Only confirms it to be that much more awesome.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting maian: Yeah, I don't actually think you're dumb or anything. I just know it wouldn't come out for Wii. =X And, funny article. I love how many times Kojima has said things like that for MGS4. Only confirms it to be that much more awesome.

Oh yeah, I got what you were saying, it just sucks that I a fan will miss out on what's looking to be one of the best installments in the series.

Posted by maian

I definitely won't miss out on it, but, I'll miss out on release. :( Well, one of my friends is a hardcore MGS fan, and I'll probably be at his house when it comes out, so at least I'll be able to experience it there.

Posted by Old_Snake

Well, just letting people who may have interest know that I think the Konami ID site may be partially up. I just got my Konami ID, I haven't tried logging in just yet on MGO, but it is letting me in on the site.

Not sure if the problem is fixed or if maybe this was like a fluke or something, just thought I would post it up for potential beta-users

Posted by Polluti0n

Well, I woke up this morning pretty excited. Rushed downstairs to my living room and turned on the my PS3. I wasn't able to login, the servers are not up yet.

It seems that things aren't running well as "expected" with Konami.

[quote]IMPORTANT NOTICE for all
METAL GEAR ONLINE PREMIERE BETA players

We would like to thank all players for their keen interest in taking part in the beta test.
However, we regret to inform you that due to extraordinary levels of traffic from all around the globe, we have been unable to run the service to the level we expected.
As a temporary measure, we will be deferring the start of the US public beta test until we are able to stabilize our server.
We would like to apologize for all inconveniences as well as confusion caused.

We would like to add that due to the above reasons, we will be making the following changes to the schedule:
1) Starting date: TBA. We will be making another announcement on 22/4/2008 23:00(PDT)
2) Beta Test closure: This will now be on 11/05/2008 at 24:00(PDT) rather than 06/05/2008 at 24:00(PDT)
source: http://www.konami.jp/mgo/us/index.html

Posted by Old_Snake

*sign* I too saw that announcement this mourning, finally got my Konami ID, got that massive update downloaded and now this ****. Well, I guess that's just how the cookie crumbles so to speak, but I am overall disappointed in Konami in not putting more effort/work into this

Posted by Polluti0n

Well, it shall be coming out soon because Konami is going to make an "official" announcement tomorrow.

If it's delayed, the Call of Duty 4 Variety Map Pack is officially coming to the Playstation Store on the 24th for $10, it shall keep me busy waiting. Also, the Warhawk Broken Mirror Add-On has came out. Atleast SONY can maintain their audience with our likes for certain titles.

Posted by Old_Snake

I have neither of those titles, I mean it's not like this foul up has ruined my day/week/month or anything, it's mostly just the fact that this one of Konami's biggest hyped game for '08 and it's just disappointing, to me at least, to see such a terrible slip up.

Hopefully they'll get it together sooner then later

Posted by maian

At least they're extending the end date by however long they prolong it. If the time simply got cut short, I'd be ****ed.

...If, y'know, I had a PS3.

Posted by Old_Snake

I guess that is true, it is good that we'll basically get an extension on the beta, but bah, I want it now, but I guess that's just the American in me coming out

Posted by TimeSkipz

sigh.....it was delayed, the beta and the launch. They blame it on the Konami ID site crashing from traffic, well what did they ****ing expect, the most anticipated game for the ps3 this year and they can't get a beta together?

Posted by Old_Snake

Well, looks like the beta is now expected to come up the 25th

http://www.konami.jp/mgo/us/index.html

Let us hope that this time around they will fix everything and we can get to it

Posted by maian

Okay. So. I've come across what, in my personal opinion, might be an actual summary of MGS4's story, leaked. Normally I don't give into leaks, especially unsourced ones, without substantial evidence. Well, I think I've got some.

I read the first paragraph of the summary, which was only a couple lines long. I didn't want to read anymore, in the risk of it actually being true. I pretty much forgot about it, until my friend keeping up with the game linked me to a Gametrailers thread, with an article stating that the BBFC has come up with a rating for the game. I read the article, and it says a few reasons for rating it so were (Spoilers) [spoiler]implied child rape and a very brutal fistfight.[/spoiler]

...I went back and reread that small paragraph in the summary, and it mentions a brutal fistfight. That could be coincidence, but if it's not, then I've learned something about the game that's HUGE. And now I want someone to read it for me and tell me if it sounds possible, or just a bunch of BS. :(

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting maian: Okay. So. I've come across what, in my personal opinion, might be an actual summary of MGS4's story, leaked. Normally I don't give into leaks, especially unsourced ones, without substantial evidence. Well, I think I've got some.

I read the first paragraph of the summary, which was only a couple lines long. I didn't want to read anymore, in the risk of it actually being true. I pretty much forgot about it, until my friend keeping up with the game linked me to a Gametrailers thread, with an article stating that the BBFC has come up with a rating for the game. I read the article, and it says a few reasons for rating it so were (Spoilers) [spoiler]implied child rape and a very brutal fistfight.[/spoiler]

...I went back and reread that small paragraph in the summary, and it mentions a brutal fistfight. That could be coincidence, but if it's not, then I've learned something about the game that's HUGE. And now I want someone to read it for me and tell me if it sounds possible, or just a bunch of BS. :(

Huh, well the [spoiler]implied child rape[/spoiler] sounds very disturbing for Metal Gear, but with [spoiler]Sonny[/spoiler] apparently being a huge part of the story it could make sense. As far as a brutal fistfight (not too worried about spoiler tagging that one), I could see that. That reminds me of the scene were Volgin absolutely decimates Snake in that bloody, classic scene from MGS3.

As far as other spoilers, it is very possible, my understanding is that at that Konami boot camp a lot of media outlets played the full game. They really weren't suppose to reveal anything outside the first bit of the first level, but it was bound to get out really. Even if they were contracted to not reveal anymore, there is probably that one guy who goes to a library to post spoilers anonymously.

Hmm..I have to say, out of pure curiosity I want to take you up on your offer, but at the same time I feel like it may dumb down the overall story when I play the game.

Posted by maian

Well, if you're as much as a fan as I am, I don't know if I want you reading it, just because I'd feel bad if Metal Gear Solid 4's grand story was spoiled. I normally read spoilers and dismiss them as fake, and then be surprised when I play the game, but MGS4 is simply too big to risk that. I can post it if you want, though. Or if you want to know, I'll only reveal the tiny part that I read, which reveals something VERY interesting.

And yeah, (Spoilers) [spoiler]The tidbit about the implied child rape is interesting indeed. I doubt it directly mentions it, since the article says "implied", but I'm betting right now it definitely has to do with Sunny, and perhaps the Patriots. I think it's interesting that Sunny will play such a massive role in the game, but we know pretty much nothing about her.[/spoiler]

I still get uncomfortable chills when I watch Volgin beat up Snake in the torture chamber. I hope this fistfight can produce that intense, painful feeling again.

Posted by Old_Snake

Well, it must be something pretty big spoiler if that is the case.

My guess would be that the fistfight would be between Snake and Liquid Ocelot. I'm guessing if it's near what Volgins beatdown was like in 3, this will be considerably flinch-worthy.

I actually hope the [spoiler]implied child rape[/spoiler] just ends up being a rumor or very subtle. That kind of stuff just makes me uncomfortable

Posted by maian

I'm just curious. You're an MGS fan. What's your theory on the "Young Snake" seen in that TGS trailer?

Posted by Old_Snake

My thought process was maybe he was like a playable character in MGO. I was expecting MGO to be similar to the online component of MGS3 and have battles with generals who are main characters from the game.

Now that we know a little more info about MGO I don't think that is the case. I really don't think Kojima would throw such an extra twist of another Big Boss clone running around. Though, the theory that he is the real Snake and Old Snake is actually maybe a clone or perhaps a machine/android who thinks he's Snake seems more likely, but still a little too easy of curve for Kojima to throw.

Honestly, I don't know what the hell to think of that.

Posted by maian

I don't think Old Snake is any kind of clone at all. Well, he is, but that's because he's Solid Snake. There's just too much evidence to support it. And, I think it would be lame to make the main character not be the real Snake. But yeah, all the characters know Snake and everything, and he clearly remembers everything.

I think, despite some dialogue in MGS3, that it's Big Boss' biological son. If Kojima were to throw another Snake in there, I think that'd be the last way to do it.

Posted by Old_Snake

Hm, well, that is a pretty interesting theory, I would think that Big Boss's son would be a lot older than what Young Snake appeared in the trailer, unless he sired a child in old age, which is entirely possible.

Just seems a little too easy, but then again Kojima may make it easier then we expect just to throw a much more unexpected simple curve as we examine things far too hard. It'll be interesting to see all it all ends up

Posted by maian

OH GAWD OH GAWD OLD SNAKE LOOKS SO SEXTASTIC WITH A BEARD

Posted by Old_Snake

Is that an official screenshot from the game? This is the first I've seen of Old Snake with a beard or anything of that nature.

Posted by Old_Snake

For those of interest, the beta is now up. You have to download a small update, no more then about 10 minutes worth of download time.

Played a few games of Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. It's basically an upgraded version of MGS3's online, though the levels are bigger and just overall better designed, imo. I enjoyed what I play, though I only played about 4 games

Posted by mis0

My friend had a recieved a valid code, so we got a chance to play it. It's pretty fun, only thing that bothers me is that sometimes the pace of the characters seems a bit too leisurely. All around fun, and glitch-free.

Posted by Old_Snake

My biggest complaint as of now is that I wish that they would've had more then two levels for the beta. Granted, the levels are fine, but they get on the old side when its all you have.

Posted by Old_Snake

As if reading my mind...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167606

Plus, the Sneaking Mission sounds like it could be fun

Posted by maian

OHSHI NEW MGS4 TRAILER OH GAWD OH GAWD

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33452.html

...It's one of the oddest ones yet.

WHAT

DOES

IT

MEAN?!

Posted by Pit

maybe you can replay MGS1 with all the MGS4 (controls and whatnot) after you complete, all I know is that that was pretty cool. Thanks Gayaian

Posted by maian

I don't think so.

He's wearing Octocamo, using an MGS4 gun, there's no security at all, the place is abandoned, and he enters from a completely different entrance.

gah

Posted by Fate

Either it's a dream or we're going to visit Shadow Moses again.

Posted by Old_Snake

I remember reading that you would be able to do flashbacks at certain points in the game, maybe you actually get to play them with altered memories or something. Though, I have to say that is an odd trailer, another question mark for the upcoming game

EDIT: Just noticed at the end of the trailer, it said 10th Anniversary Metal Gear, isn't it the 20th?

RE-EDIT: Ok, nevermind, it says Metal Gear Solid 10th Anniversary.

Posted by Pit

Quoting maian: I don't think so.

He's wearing Octocamo, using an MGS4 gun, there's no security at all, the place is abandoned, and he enters from a completely different entrance.

gah

maybe it's a multiplayer map

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Pit: maybe it's a multiplayer map

That's actually not too bad of a theory, it'd be neat to revisit a lot of the levels of previous MG installments through multiplayer maps

Posted by maian

Hey guys, I found a legit leaked picture last night that contains a huge spoiler about one of the characters that appears in the game. Who wants to see? :cookie:

Posted by Old_Snake

That is tempting, but it depends, which character? And when you say huge, do you mean huge to the plot of the game or huge to fate/point of that particular character?

Posted by maian

Well, it's Big Boss.

Basically, it's a picture of him. In the game. But, it's pretty much been agreed that it's like, a 95% chance of being a flashback. Here's the picture, if you want to see. If you look at the sleeve, you can tell he's wearing the same FOXHOUND trenchcoat that he's wearing in the original art for MGS1.

http://i28.tinypic.com/28s1mdc.jpg

Posted by Old_Snake

Yeah, it probably is. The picture looks slightly more grainy than the other pictures on the screens and flashbacks are sometimes like that in MGS

Posted by Poco

can love bloom on the battlefield.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Poco: can love bloom on the battlefield.

Yeah...doesn't last too long, though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I'm in the Metal Gear Online beta, it's gonna be awesome

beta sucks, kill yourself.

Quoted post: can love bloom on the battlefield.

yes, because it's on a next-gen system and next-gen loves bloom

Posted by Old_Snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjv2bT3J1TI

Neat new trailer I found, done in the vain of usual theatrical trailers, not entirely sure if it's an official trailer or fanmade (betting fanmade with that cheesy voice over), but there's some new stuff in there I haven't seen before.

Most notably, one of the Beasts Beauty side.

Posted by maian

AAAAAH

This is definitely probably the most new amount of MGS4 content we've gotten in a day, speculatory wise. A plethora of new locations shown, and so much stuff to theorize that I haven't looked into at all yet.

And...WHAT THE HELL IS KOJIMA PULLING WITH THIS YOUNG SNAKE BUSINESS?

If you listen closely, when Old Snake's face turns into Young Snake's, the de-camo sound effect plays.

Posted by Old_Snake

Here's a lot of marketing information on MGS4 marketing:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167780

Seems that the whole MGS4/Assassins Creed April Fools wasn't completely a prank as Altair's robe will be an unlockable piece of equipment and Snake will have his own...Ipod?

Looks like Konami is going full out with promoting MGS4

Posted by Kent Traffic Cop

Pre-ordered and waiting for 12th June. No LE for me though as the UK version sucks and I'm not paying and extra

Posted by Old_Snake

What was the action figure that the UK got?

Anyway, here's a bit of info on the future of the MG series:http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167884

Pretty much as I expected, if Kojima does off Snake and actual does depart the series after MGS4 it won't stop Konami from keeping the series going

Posted by mis0

[QUOTE=Kent Traffic Cop;847467]Pre-ordered and waiting for 12th June. No LE for me though as the UK version sucks and I'm not paying and extra

Posted by Old_Snake

For those who preordered the game at GameStop and didn't know, they will be doing a midnight release for the game.

And there has been some early reviews apparently, all have been considerably positive, but all are from Official PlayStation magazines, so it's not really anything to worry about now, but it is nice to see.

Quoted post: In any case, less than a month to Ninja Gaiden II. Yay!

WOOO CAN'T WAIT

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Right now, I'm on the precipice of buying the PS3 bundle for this game. I have the cash, but I'm not sure it's a good investment. hrrrrrrrrngh

It was until Gaiden II was two weeks from release. Not so much anymore.

Posted by maian

It's a great investment. PS3s are still $500 anyway. If you didn't get the bundle, you'd be paying $500 for a normal PS3, $60 for the game, and if you wanted a Dualshock, you'd have to pay more for that. And the PS3 is a different color! :cookie:

I'd buy it in an instant if I had the fscking money, but I don't. I FINALLY got a job though. I really really hope the bundle is still available after I save $500, but it probably won't be. I think I'm going to buy a copy of MGS4 at release, and then borrow someone's PS3 that they don't play a lot until I get my own.

Posted by Old_Snake

Yeah, it is quite a sweet deal, 80GB PS3, MGS4, voucher for Pain and a Dualshock controller for $500. Not sure how long they will be around, though, but I will say to stay away from the Limited Edition bundle Konami is selling, it just seems like a huge rip to me.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=maian;849507]someone's PS3 that they don't play a lot
See, this is why I'm reluctant. After MGS4... what? Maybe LittleBigPlanet, yeah. There's a few decent titles like Uncharted, but it would probably gather dust in the corner with my Wii.

Posted by maian

I don't think so, but that may be because I don't hve a 360, either, so it'd be opening the doors to a lot of multiplatform titles that aren't for Wii.

Buuut, I'm looking at a lot of stuff in the future that excites me to get a PS3, multiplatform or not.

After MGS4, there's...

Soul Calibur 4
Final Fantasy XIII
Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Force Unleashed
GTA
etc

Aaand, I never owned a PS2, so for me, that'd let me play the 50+ titles I've always wanted to play on PS2.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Yeah, well. I have a 360. And I have no inclination to play FFXIII.

Posted by maian

Well then your argument makes perfect sense. :cool:

Quoted post: PS3s are still $500 anyway.

$500 including MGS4 actually. PS3's have dropped a lot in price.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting The X: See, this is why I'm reluctant. After MGS4... what? Maybe LittleBigPlanet, yeah. There's a few decent titles like Uncharted, but it would probably gather dust in the corner with my Wii.

I'm go ahead and say this, if all you think you will use the PS3 for is MGS4 and a finger count of other games and already have a 360, I wouldn't recommend buying one. Just try to play MGS4 off of a friend's PS3, if you know any, or wait for a 360 port of the game.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: $500 including MGS4 actually. PS3's have dropped a lot in price.

Yup. You can get the lousy one, for $400. I honestly thought they had discontinued everything else, because a few months ago when I bought mine, I couldn't find anything but 40gigs. The only annoyance is that it can't play PS2 games at all, but the $100 saved did buy a Dualshock 3 and a bluetooth headset/Warhawk bundle.

Posted by Old_Snake

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=413419

Looks like Gamepro has reviewed the game, perfect 5/5.

Posted by Fate

I heard that there were cutscenes that were very, very long, but I've also heard that you can play as MG MkII during the scenes.

Posted by Old_Snake

If you're talking about the 90-minute cutscene rumor, it's been debunked by reviewers who've already played the game. I've sure they'll be lengthy cutscenes, but I don't see them being lengthier then usual for the series, except maybe the ending and/or opening cinematic.

Posted by Shevanel

Going to have to hide from the internet for a week or two when this hits, then pick it up and camp at my brother's office until I'm done. I'm still too poor for a Tripple.

Interestingly, Slowtaku has a scan up showing [spoiler]Rosemary and Mei Ling[/spoiler]. Big whoop.

Also, quick question - I've been told that you won't be able to initiate Codec calls in MGS4; it'll only be possible to receive them. Is this true?

Posted by Fate

Likely not, since a lot of the humor comes from initiating a conversation.

Posted by Old_Snake

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6191744.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

Interesting little article from Kojima, looks like he won't be departing the series after all (Big Surprise, huh?). He won't be as involved, like a producer or something. Oh, well, whether he actually takes a back seat or not this time around this or not I guess it's no surprise

Posted by Old_Snake

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/877/877611p1.html

Review from IGN UK gave the game a 10 in every section except Lasting Appeal, which they gave a 9.5 and the game scored a 9.9 overall

kojima not quiting? who woulda thought. except, you know, he's been saying every mgs is his last mgs.

Also, they really should've packaged MGO and MGS4 together.

Posted by Old_Snake

I'm pretty sure they are

Posted by Fate

He's been saying for a while that this is his last MGS where he takes the reigns and if there were to be another MGS it would likely be a new series done by his team.

I thought MGO and MGS4 were going to be packaged together like Subsistence?

Yeah, you're right it is. Guess they recently changed that, because since it was announced it was always planned as a separate deal. Though, apparently it's only for a limited time.

Posted by Old_Snake

I haven't ever heard about the separate deal, I'd always heard that in the MGS4 you'd basically get a 'Starter's Pack' of sorts and then gradual expansions of it would be released through online downloads.

Doesn't matter all that much to me, honestly, I like the Beta alright and all, but I could live without it, personally

Yeah, it kinda sucked! But still, more for less is always good.

Posted by Old_Snake

That is true, I guess, but it makes me wonder how barebones the MGO part of the game will be. I hope there's at least more than the Beta map and mode wise.

Posted by Old_Snake

Well, not too sure how anyone here feels about install, but there will be about 4.5-5 Gigs worth of installation to the game according to some early reviews. It will be spread out through the end of chapters, though.

Also, Edge and Eurogamer have reviewer the game earlier both giving the game 8/10 and the Offical PlayStation Magazine of the US gave the game 10/10.

Posted by maian

Preordering my Limited Edition today. :)

Also, at least one person has the game now. Tons of screens for proof. If you want to be spoiled in any regard, just go to any forum slightly related to MGS and there will be at least one thread where they're rampant. I haven't gotten anything major spoiled for me, but I'm going to quit looking now, as he's made pretty good progress through the game at this point.

Posted by Old_Snake

Few more scores have popped up: IGN AU 9.5, Gamemasters UK 9.7, PSM3 UK 9.5 and Famistu 40/40.

Quoting maian: Preordering my Limited Edition today. :)

Also, at least one person has the game now. Tons of screens for proof. If you want to be spoiled in any regard, just go to any forum slightly related to MGS and there will be at least one thread where they're rampant. I haven't gotten anything major spoiled for me, but I'm going to quit looking now, as he's made pretty good progress through the game at this point.

Apparently several copies were released way early in the Australian market and a lot of the spoilers that are getting leaked are from that. I've basically stopped going to the MGS4 Gamefaqs page simply because it seems every topic has SPOILERS tags in the title.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Well, I've already been fully spoiled. Looks like I won't need a PS3 after all!

Posted by Slade

I'm going to go hide in the sex board until this is all over.

;_;

Posted by Fate

Normally I'd be a spoiler-happy mess, but I can't seem to do it this time.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting The X: Well, I've already been fully spoiled. Looks like I won't need a PS3 after all!

You just wanted the story, you didn't care about playing the game or anything?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Nah, I was partially kidding. The story is the main draw for me, but I'd still want to play it, for the experience.

Posted by maian

Looks to be the best gameplay in the series. It seems phenomenal how much MGS3 improved the MGS mechanics, and that seems like nothing compared to what MGS4 has done. Crouch walking, upgradeable weapons, laying down, improved physics, Octocamo, etc, the list goes on.

And yeah, I've accidently spoiled a couple of things for myself. >_> Not on purpose of course, but some retards apparently can't make spoiler free thread titles or posts on MGS.org. (Even though if you don't you get banned until June 12) Luckily for me, it wasn't really about the main story, but I was pretty spoiled regarding the backstory of the Patriots and who founded them. >_>

I also accidently stumbled upon a HUEG Big Boss spoiler. :( I knew he'd be in the game in some shape or form, but I wanted to be surprised. And alas, I know now. But to prevent any implications, I won't say anything. For all you guys know, he could be dead in a cryochamber, alive and kicking with Old Snake, alive in kicking in a flashback, some cyborg mutant freak, whatever. But yeah, I know now. :|

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=maian;852342]laying down
Hasn't going prone always been a feature of the series?

Posted by maian

Er, I meant rolling over. Doesn't seem like a huge change, but apparently it's extremely handy.

Posted by Shevanel

I've been completely spoiled.

****ing awesome. Explanations for some things are a bit iffy, but Patriots **** yeah.

I figure I'll still play it.

Posted by mis0

So far I've managed to avoid having anything spoiled! Glee!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I will just say this - the final battle is ****ing genius.

Posted by Old_Snake

I tried to stay spoiler-free and for the most part I have, but one day I went into the GameFaqs MGS4 board and, like the second or third topic was boldly titled [spoiler]Psycho Mantis lives[/spoiler] and another directly under it saying [spoiler]Meryl and Johnny get married???[/spoiler]. I just sighed and hoped that both were red herring titles. Haven't been back to the board since.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'll just say right now. Psycho Mantis remains dead. But the title isn't exactly incorrect, because: [spoiler]he returns as an item[/spoiler]

Posted by Shevanel

He what?!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm not fakeposting. It'll be hard to find, but he's definitely what I said.

Posted by Poco

Posted by maian

Just bought the strat guide. I'm rather proud to say I still remain pretty unspoiled. Thank GAWD I still don't know who the final boss is. Although I'm learning more and more small spoilers about details in the story, I'm still thankful to know that I still know nothing about the big picture, and how everything connects.

IT'S GOING TO BE SO FSCKING SICK

Posted by Old_Snake

Thanks X for clearing that up, but I'm going to assume since you didn't comment on the second title it's true, which I have mixed feeling about, but I'll wait to play the game to comment on it for sure.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/926596/6192361/videoplayerpop?rgroup=mgs4_videos&ont_override=13454&mb=mgs4

Video interview with Hideo Kojima, nothing revealing or anything, but an interesting thing.

Also, apparently the game was been reviewed by Game Informer and it garnered a perfect score, but it's not on gamerankings or anything, so not 100% sure.

Haha, oh man. Somehow I forgot to pick up this game. Usually I only remember to get games by reading websites and since I was too lazy to hook up mu computer...! Ah well. Totally don't feel like leaving the house now anyways.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;853296]Haha, oh man. Somehow I forgot to pick up this game. Dude, it isn't out yet.

Problem solved.

See? I don't even know what day it is anymore. wow

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Tomorrow. Though getting leaked copies is apparently easy as fuuuuu

yeah, apparently you could get them over the weekend. But idk, I don't have any desire to get it right now. I figure I'll get it in the dead weeks of the summer and enjoy the **** out of it then.

Posted by mis0

I think I'm going to pick up a copy today if I can find one... but I won't be able to play it until Sunday probably. I'm hoping no dorks will ruin it for me; I work electronics, so I'll be selling quite a few copies, I imagine, and I can't tell the customer to STFU if they start telling me all of the crap they've read from the leaks, etc.

ima crossin mah fingorz :)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The Virgin Megastores near me was selling leftover SIGNED KOJIMA COPIES~~ for

Posted by Old_Snake

Picked up the LE last night at Gamestop's midnight launch. Loving it so far, I just got the drum. I almost didn't want it after I saw what was done under it.

Apparently they have an extras menu were you'll be able to connect online and download camo and iPod songs for free as they come up.

Played a bit online, they added some new modes, I saw, but didn't really play any much. Just one match, though it looks like you'll have to go directly to Konami's store to get add-ons and expansions, instead of the PSN. I don't see the point in that, but whatever.

Posted by maian

Got it at midnight, and have been playing ever since. I fell asleep, though. I'm right at the end of South America. It's fecking amazing. =O

Posted by Sapphire Rose

**** I need a PS3.

I haet you guys.

Posted by Fate

This game makes me so happy. :)

Posted by Old_Snake

Just finished up Act 1 and just beginning Act 2. The Beauty And The Beast unit is a lot creepy then I expected, mostly Crying Wolf and Laughing Octopus. On the other hand, Sunny is considerably more cute then I expected, with all her s-s-stuttering and such.

Plus, on a fun note, CQC grabbing guards and slitting throats while listening to Botkai 2 theme = awesome.

Posted by maian

It's so great. I've made it up to Shadow Moses, which is fecking SICK, but I took a break for several reasons. The cutscenes, though...wow. They're INCREDIBLE. I think, maybe in history, I've shed a tear maybe once in a game. This one has already made me do it twice and I'm not even through. =X

pussy

Posted by Kit

Got this yesterday, but my brother's been playing it for the most part. I did the first few parts and I'm sneaking through the rebel base right now. Progress is gonna be really slow. I'm playing on the 3rd difficulty (Can't remember the name of it, something Snake).

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Isn't it Solid Normal?

Posted by Kit

There's an easy one, then naked snake, then something else snake, then big boss mode, I think.

Quoted post: Isn't it Solid Normal?

what a ****ing stupid name for a difficulty mode.

It should go: Snake? for easy

then: SNAKE?! for normal

then: SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE! for hard

Posted by Red

picked up my copy of the PS3 MGS4 bundle pack.

going to have to return it so I can get a discount at a different store from my relative.

Posted by Unite

picked up a copy of the limited edition one , great game so far

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Think I'm gonna buy a PS3, play MGS4, then return the PS3. Foolproof plan!

Or just wait for it to come out on the 360.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Ehhh, I don't think it's gonna happen. Otacon's Blu-Ray codec call, SIXAXIS controller, Ocelot with a PSP... SIGH. :(

It likely won't. But all of that is changeable. Wouldn't be the first time!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I've seen all the main cutscenes and some key gameplay anyway. That'll suffice.

Posted by maian

I'ts Liquid Easy, Naked Normal, Solid Normal, Big Boss Hard, and The Boss Extreme.

Anyway, I beat it. Best game ever made?

...Yeah...

From what I've played it goes from greatest MGS made to a really good MGS game. Overall MGS3 surpasses it as a whole though. I'll see once I get my own copy.

Posted by Old_Snake

I just got to Raging Raven and have decided to take a small break, I got behind in my reading and other stuff, so just chilling, but **** is this one great slice of MGS. With all the hype surrounding it I thought I might be disappointed, but so far, nowhere near so. Unless this game takes a significant drop in quality after Raven I think this may very well be better then MGS3 for me.

Quoted post: Unless this game takes a significant drop in quality

It does! First bit is like **** YEAH ACTION AND **** WOOO second bit is like "all right, cutscene! all right... eight more cutscenes... wait, more cutscenes?" I mean, they were great, but it shifts from gameplay to story almost instantly and subtlety goes out the window.

Though my buddy wouldn't shut up, so maybe I didn't have the right atmosphere. Every ten seconds he was like "OH ****, OH ****, OH ****, WHAT?" so idk, lost some of its effectiveness.

Posted by maian

Eh, I disagree. Yes, the game does have significantly more and longer cutscenes than its predecessors, but it's fine by me because they're fscking beautifully done, and pretty much balanced by gameplay. Great gameplay, at that. I think the game shoots upward after Europe. It's just as good, it just has a completely different atmosphere. Shadow Moses is amazing, and (Spoiler) Outer Haven is a massive truckload of conce3ntrated epicness.

I WAS however, disappointed by the final boss fight. =/ The fact that it was clearly 100% fanservice was one thing, and the fact that it controls like a crappy Mortal Kombat game is another. MGS3 definitely wins in that category.

Eh, if the entire game was like the second act or so it'd be put way over MGS3. It's just that the latter part of the game what with the massive amounts of story and cutscenes made it feel like the gameplay was an afterthought. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just not perfect. Whereas MGS3 got the balance just right, MGS4 just misses the mark. Though, needless to say, the gameplay is highly improved.

Posted by S0LID 5NAKE

hey is this game ever coming on the 360???? i dont think i gonna buy a ps3 anytime soon and i only own a 360. im really hoping to get to play this game some tine in the future. if anybody has any info please let me know

Posted by maian

Eh, I bet there's like a 50% chance it'll go to 360, but I don't really see it happening. And if it did, it would probably be through the special edition, which wouldn't come out for a year at least.

As for what Vamp's saying: I agree to a certain extent, but really the only time I felt that way was during Eastern Europe. Europe definitely felt like much more cutscene than gameplay, but I didn't notice it anywhere else. Outer Haven could be noted, but I'm not really counting that, since it's pretty much the finale of the game, thus requiring more cutscenes.

Still, was anyone else let down by the 110% fanservice final boss fight? >_>

I figured I'd be let down by the end no matter what it was, so I wasn't too disappointed.

But yeah, if the whole game was like the second act or so, man, way better than MGS3. But as is, MGS3 is like a 10 for me, and MGS4 is a 9.6.

Posted by maian

That's true. I don't know WHAT it is about MGS3, but it's just so good. I might even have a hard time placing MGS4 over MGS3, but I bet it'll probably take the throne the more I play it. We'll see.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The main problem with MGS4 is that the cutscenes are 50% nostalgia, 50% Snake coughing and enduring other old man pains. Some of them were just painful or pointless to watch.

You know what they need to do? Make a new MGS that's along the lines of the early acts of MGS4. Doesn't have to be MGS, doesn't have to be Snake. But take that gameplay, pace, and mechanics and you have yourself one HELL of an amazing stealth game.

Like, seriously, the narrative almost drags down the experience of MGS4. A game with maybe a simpler story but the same mechanics? Holy ****.

Posted by Slade

So what's included in the game besides the main story? Are there any short missions or even VR missions?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

METAL GEAR ONLINE YEEEEEEAH!

Posted by maian

Short/VR missions are never included in the first game. It's somewhat of an MGS tradition to have the game release be very basic, and then release a special edition with a truckload of bonus crap.

I'm so sad there's no demo theatre in MGS4. >_>

Posted by Old_Snake

Just finished and I enjoyed it, I'm not sure why most here think that Act 4 is the beginning of a downfall. I was basically into from beginning to end. The last fight didn't really bother, either, it kind of threw me at first with the control scheme change, but I didn't really dislike it.

Overall, I think I would rate this right along MGS3.

Posted by maian

I've always despised it when a video game's final bossfight contains a completely new, and often, not even similar control scheme. I've seen it in many games. Is the purpose of the final acts of a game not to put your skills that you've acquired through playing it to the test? The context of the fight also bugged me because by the time it even happened, everything was done and overwith, pretty much. I didn't get that feeling from the final boss that I did anything, it was pretty much "Ocelot wants to fight, let's satisfy him" as the boss that ends the Metal Gear series.

That being said, I didn't hate it. I still enjoyed playing it, but as a final boss, I think it lacked so much. However, it was beautifully done. I've never seen such a cinematic-quality boss fight ever, and props for that.

So, what are some people's favorite cutscenes? I think the microwave tunnel was one of the greatest cinematic achievements in gaming history.

Posted by Slade

spoilers mother****er

oh well :(

I guess since the majority of you have played it and won't see any value in being SUPER SECRETIVE, I'll just stay out of this thread now.

Posted by Fate

I actually haven't gone past the Act 2 because I'm trying very hard to get through the whole game undetected. IT IS NOT EASY.

Posted by maian

It's waaaay easier after Act 2, at least, I'd imagine from what I've played. There's hardly even opportunity for alerts in Act 3, and as long as you stay away from Gekkos in Act 4, it would be pretty easy as well. In Act 5, one alert pretty much unleashes Hell. I heard a lot of people had trouble being undetected, but honestly, I thought it was pretty easy.

The first two acts, however, the battlefields, are WAY hard to not get alerts. Sometimes the most unnoticeable PMC soldier will see you, and it goes down the drain from there. Since it's so much more chaotic, you really have to be careful. I wish they changed the way alerts worked on the battlefields, since they're pretty much identicle to the old games. So, when you're right in the middle of a battlefield, fighting with fellow militiamen against the PMCs, one will see you and go, "I found the enemy!" And suddenly, reinforcements come, and the PMC soldiers seem to just forget they're even in a battle at all, and just go for you. >_>

I think after a couple of tries I might go for Big Boss rank, which will NOT be easy. At all. :(

Quoted post: I actually haven't gone past the Act 2 because I'm trying very hard to get through the whole game undetected. IT IS NOT EASY.

That's what I'm going to once I get it for myself. My buddy gave up on stealth shortly after the game started and basically run-and-gunned the whole time. I couldn't bring myself to ever do that.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting maian: I've always despised it when a video game's final bossfight contains a completely new, and often, not even similar control scheme. I've seen it in many games. Is the purpose of the final acts of a game not to put your skills that you've acquired through playing it to the test? The context of the fight also bugged me because by the time it even happened, everything was done and overwith, pretty much. I didn't get that feeling from the final boss that I did anything, it was pretty much "Ocelot wants to fight, let's satisfy him" as the boss that ends the Metal Gear series.

That being said, I didn't hate it. I still enjoyed playing it, but as a final boss, I think it lacked so much. However, it was beautifully done. I've never seen such a cinematic-quality boss fight ever, and props for that.

So, what are some people's favorite cutscenes? I think the microwave tunnel was one of the greatest cinematic achievements in gaming history.

Truth be told, since it was suppose to be a no holds barred fistfight between Snake and Liquid Ocelot I'm not too sure how else they would've done it. I guess they could've done it similarly to the first or done something like The Boss in MGS3.

The microwave split screen was pretty neat, it's hard for me to single out favorite cutscenes as I basically loved all of them, but one scene I really enjoyed was when Raiden [spoiler]stopped Outer Haven from basically crushing Shadow Moses dock. I kind of wish they would've let him die there, that would've been an epic death[/spoiler]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It was kinda irritating how Raiden was continually resurrected throughout the game.

Posted by maian

I think (Spoilers) [spoiler]it actually would've been pretty appropriate for him to die when he was holding up Haven, as it keeps up the MGS theme of history repeating itself. Raiden would've died like Gray Fox, saving Snake from a Metal Gear, while getting smashed by it. I thought it was one of the most touching moments in the game.

However, I also think it was necessary to keep him alive, or else he'd have kind of a crappy story. BUT, I think the scene where he had NO ARMS and came back was useless, and shouldn't have been in there. It was perfect where it was, and that drove it to overkill.[/spoiler]

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=maian;854816]Eh, I bet there's like a 50% chance it'll go to 360, but I don't really see it happening. And if it did, it would probably be through the special edition, which wouldn't come out for a year at least.

I got one pic for ya [IMG]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/Rddflag/mgs4xbox360oj1.png[/IMG]

The disc is full of extra **** it doesn't need like multiple languages. Take out the superfluous garbage and it should be fine on a couple discs. Wouldn't be the first MGS like that anyways.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Get rid of Raiden from the whole game and you have tons of room

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I find it amusing that the game pokes fun at disc-swapping when it's forcing installs on you in every ******* chapter.

Hahaha, true. Take less time to just pop in a new disc.

Posted by Old_Snake

I prefer to look at more of an inside joke for fans of the original MGS.

I was disappointed at Kojima and Co. as far as the installs went, even more disappointed at the fact that the install in between chapters didn't stay and you have to do it every replay.

Posted by Solid Snake

The game was what fans wanted, thats if u were a fan of the others. It wrapped up everything.

I'm a huge fan of MGS and even I was disappointed by the CUTSCENECUTSCENECUTSCENECUTSCENECUTSCENE **** towards the end.

Posted by Fate

You'd be disappointed if you're the type of fag who looks at the clock while cutscenes are taking place. Were any of the cutscenes in the game 90 minutes? If there were any I don't remember. I was too busy enjoying everything.

I beat the game. I am pleased.
:)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Oh come on, some of them were definitely over-stretched... That cutscene en route to Shadow Moses where Raiden and Snake try to out-emo each other was horrible, and there was really no need for Raiden to come back again on Haven for a 'ehhh' fight sequence. If someone was to do an edit that removed all but the most important instances of Old Snake coughing and collapsing with Old Man Pain, the runtime would probably half.

Yeah, seriously. I'm not going to ignore a game's flaws just because I really like the series. As I said, it's still a +9.5 in my book, but like X said some of the cutscenes were ridiculous and completely took away from the, finally, awesome gameplay. Stop being a faggot.

Posted by Fate

I'm being honest here. I really didn't see them as too much or too long. :/

Not too long, but a lot were pointless and unnecessary. Plus, towards the last half the vast majority of the game was cutscenes which is a tad ridiculous considering the first half was incredibly balanced between the two.

Posted by maian

Eh, I didn't have a problem with them. Pretty much the only problem I have with the game was the letdown of the final boss, but that's it. I'm in love with the game. =|

Posted by Old_Snake

Got to side with maian and Fate on that issue. I knew from the start I'm be in for some long-winded cut scenes, but I was pretty engrossed in it all and I never really saw any of them as pointless, outside maybe that one with armless Raiden. I think that all the torture Raiden endured was mostly a joke on Kojimas part anyone as from the Sagas Vol. 1 DVD it seemed he wasn't all that fond of the character or how his conception came about.

To let everyone who doesn't know, there is a free download called MGS Database online right now courtesy of PStore (imagine that, Konami actually using the ****ing PSN). Incredibly detailed synopsis of the entire MG Saga.

It did remind me though, anyone else remember Nastasha? I had completely forgotten about her. I wonder why she wasn't brought back or mentioned in this one. According to the database she's not dead or anything.

Anyway, one my third playthrough right now, just got the stealth item and am speed running through to get Altair's costume. Already have all the requirements just need to stay under 25 alerts. Easy with stealth to say the least.

Posted by Fate

Natasha was apparently very lucky. After Shadow Moses she wrote a best-selling book about what went down and lived her life out away from the government. I heard she had something to do with Philanthropy, though.

I tried doing the no-kill no-alert thing in my first playthrough. Man, that was a stupid idea. FaceCamo is the best thing ever.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

She founded Philanthropy with the money she got selling the story of Shadow Moses.

Posted by maian

Ah, I heard about the database. I wondered what it was. I heard it explained how Raiden became a cyborg. I was satisfied. I'll have to download that.

Posted by Fate

The hilarious thing about all this is that Sony hates Europe.

Quoted post: I knew from the start I'm be in for some long-winded cut scenes, but I was pretty engrossed in it all

Yeah, again I think everyone expected lost of long cutscenes. It's just that for once MGS has amazing gameplay to fit its amazing story. So once the story starts to dominate the gameplay I have to feel a little ripped off. If it were any other game of the series I don't think I would've cared, but I didn't want to be taken away from the near-perfect gameplay so much.

Posted by Fate

Anyone else cry in that last bit before the worm hit JD? I was pressing the button furiously getting Snake through that. :(

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting maian: Ah, I heard about the database. I wondered what it was. I heard it explained how Raiden became a cyborg. I was satisfied. I'll have to download that.

It does, basically he rescued Sunny at Area 51 and the Patroits (or their subordinates) tortured him and the doctor from MG1 & 2 (or the doctor's daughter) helped out what was left of him.

The database also clears up some loose ends, like Dr. Clark shifting gender and why Snake suddenly knows CQC.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Yeah, again I think everyone expected lost of long cutscenes. It's just that for once MGS has amazing gameplay to fit its amazing story. So once the story starts to dominate the gameplay I have to feel a little ripped off. If it were any other game of the series I don't think I would've cared, but I didn't want to be taken away from the near-perfect gameplay so much.

Don't know really what to tell you, I've always found both the gameplay and the story in MGS pretty amazing.

Quoting Fate: Anyone else cry in that last bit before the worm hit JD? I was pressing the button furiously getting Snake through that. :(

Didn't quite tear up, but it made me feel even sorrier for Snake. Old bastard sure went through hell in this game

Posted by maian

I cried at a couple of parts.

=|

REALLY surprising, since I've never cried in a game, and barely ever in movies. Although, most of the time it was just my eyes tearing up, not actual crying. But yeah, a couple of parts with EVA did it, and I think I tear'd up when Raiden was being smashed by Haven, and snake screamed his name and he screamed rose's name and stuff lol

Quoted post: Don't know really what to tell you, I've always found both the gameplay and the story in MGS pretty amazing.

The controls have always been broken so it took away from the gameplay. You're being a faggot if you say otherwise.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Fate;856539][COLOR=skyblue]The hilarious thing about all this is that Sony hates Europe.[/COLOR]Which is weird, considering Europe has a reputation for loving MGS more than any other region. We had a difficulty named after us, for crying out loud!

Posted by maian

I agree with Vamp as far as MGS1 and MGS2 go. But honestly, I had no problem with MGS3's controls.

They were practically the same as the other two and used pressure sensitive controls. That's not a good thing.

Posted by maian

The only thing that bothered me about MGS3 (and indeed, the other games) was the rolling/crawling debacle. There'd be so many times in boss fights and junk where I'm crouching to shoot and crap, and then suddenly get out of the way, and he starts crawling, and then half the time when you try to get up you'll do it again on accident, etc. Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal, but I'm glad they fixed it in MGS4 nonetheless.

Also, I guess CQC is one of the things that really improved MGS3 for me. Being able to physically disable guards without the punch-punch-kick combo or a crappy chokehold was so relieving. It really added a lot for me. I never had a problem with the FPS/shooting controls though.

Eh, the rolling thing didn't bother me. Rather the "yeah, I'm going to choke yo-OH **** I SLIT HIS THROAT AGAIN." I got tired of that real quick.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The best part of MGS was always repeatedly choking a guard until their neck snapped.

Posted by Slade

Yeah man, I loved the choke hold. It was pretty satisfying to finally grab that guard and TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP him to death. But I had some issues with performing the wrong action when I ran up to do some CQC on a guard. As for crawling/crouching/rolling, that only bothered me sometimes. Every once in a while I still get stuck in a loop of crouching/crawling/standing up trying to get to the right stance.

Can't wait to see how improved that stuff is for MGS4!

Quoted post: The best part of MGS was always repeatedly choking a guard until their neck snapped.

spinning snake around so he puked*

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: The controls have always been broken so it took away from the gameplay. You're being a faggot if you say otherwise.

I only consider controls broken if they bog down the game to an unenjoyable rate and just near **** impossible to get use to. I can honestly say I never had that much trouble with any of the previous MGS games. They were wonky and could've been better, no doubt, but I always got used to them fine.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

There were often cases where Snake/Raiden would do things you didn't want them to do. That, in my opinion, is a sign of a ****ty control system. Rolling at an enemy instead of grabbing them, etc. Not to mention trying to aim a gun while in cover was a major pain in the ***.

Posted by Old_Snake

I agree, I mean like I said they were wonky as hell, but I don't think they were bad enough to ruin the experience for me personally. I rarely do grabs, though, it always seemed too risky to get that close to a guard.

"wonky" = broken. MGS is one of the few games that can have horrible controls and still manage to rise above it. Still doesn't stop the series from having ****ty, broken controls.

Posted by maian

lol so I'm going for FOXHOUND rank. :cookie: I originally aimed for a simple, no kill/no alert playthrough on Big Boss hard, but I thought I may as well aim for FOXHOUND. I'm really worried for the bosses, but aside from that, I think it's fairly possible. I just beat the middle east with no kills, no alerts, and no recovery items in about an hour of gametime. That leaves four and a half hours left. I'm not too worried, since the other three acts are much shorter than the first two. I can just chaff my way through Shadow Moses.

The FROG battle is intense with no kills or recovery items. I was within an inch of my death by the end.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Doesn't Big Boss rank require you to only take a set amount of damage? Or is that only on certain games?

Same as Fox Hound but on Big Boss and under 5 hours with no alerts.

Posted by Old_Snake

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: "wonky" = broken.

Disagreed, I don't think being wonky in spots is broken as I see the definition of broken.

Quoting maian: lol so I'm going for FOXHOUND rank. :cookie: I originally aimed for a simple, no kill/no alert playthrough on Big Boss hard, but I thought I may as well aim for FOXHOUND. I'm really worried for the bosses, but aside from that, I think it's fairly possible. I just beat the middle east with no kills, no alerts, and no recovery items in about an hour of gametime. That leaves four and a half hours left. I'm not too worried, since the other three acts are much shorter than the first two. I can just chaff my way through Shadow Moses.

The FROG battle is intense with no kills or recovery items. I was within an inch of my death by the end.

Same here, I was going to go straight for the Big Boss rank on Extreme, but I figured I would start just one difficultly up and progress upwards. The battle with the FROGS was a challenge.

Quoted post: Disagreed, I don't think being wonky in spots is broken as I see the definition of broken.

The fact that you need to use upwards of three buttons to do an action other series handle with one or two buttons max is broken. It's like the old RE games. Broken, terrible controls. MGS4 is the RE4 of the MGS series. Still has issues but so vastly improved the minor issues that carry over barely even matter. Yet, the old games still have ****ty controls.

Posted by Old_Snake

What moves you talking about just for clarity?

idk, I'd have to go back and play the older games. Aiming perhaps? idk, I just remember having to press a bunch of buttons to do a single action and I was just like "haha, wow"

Posted by Old_Snake

Oh, well, I thought you meant like grabs and such, which I never really went for unless I absolutely had to. I don't remember having to do that much to just aim, in the 2nd and 3rd you could do it in first person, but it wasn't that different from the 4th. Only in the 4th you can move in First Person.

You could aim first person in all of them (twin snakes.) But yeah, grabs were stupid, like I said before. X to choke and X to kill? Man, could idea Konami!

Posted by Old_Snake

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Twin Snakes, but anyway, I suppose if I had tried grabs and stuff more I'd be agreeing with you more fully

Yeah... I tend to kill/grab every guy I come across my first run through. Pretty frustrating sometimes! You notice it even more when you play, say, Splinter Cell right before MGS.

Posted by Old_Snake

I'm more or less the exact opposite. My first playthrough I do try to sneak through, but if I get caught I just pull out the assault rifle, blow them away, run and hide until the alert goes down.

I find if I try for 100% stealth my first time through I just get frustrated because I don't know the level layout or enemy locations. So some dick always comes from some hallway I don't see and spots me. Then I have to reload from the last save and do it all over again. Lame. Whereas if I just **** everyone up while maintaining stealth I don't have to worry about some prick I've already passed deciding to follow me and alert everyone.

Posted by Fate

I don't use anything other than CQC, the Mosin-Nagant, and the Mk22. CQC instant knockouts saved me a lot from alerting the guards.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

MGS needs a quick, clean knife slash kill like Splinter Cell has.

yeah, a smooth knife to the spine is always favourable.

Posted by The Hate

What animal thing did you guys get at the end. I got the frog.

Posted by Fate

Octopus! I'm working on Big Boss Extreme but there's no way in hell I'm going to get his emblem on this playthrough.

Posted by Old_Snake

First time through I got the Eagle emblem.

Posted by maian

First time through I got Eagle.

This time?

...FOXHOUND. :cool:

I GOT FOXHOUND WHOO YEAH OHSHI WHOO TIME TO GET BIG BOSS

Posted by Old_Snake

I'm actually going for the FOXHOUND emblem right now, that rail part of Act 3 was a ***** and a half to get through

Posted by maian

Bleh, yes, the chase. Here's a tip for future parts in the game, if you don't already know. If you ever get past a checkpoint, and you need to replenish your help, you can set the clock foward on the PS3 and Snake's health will be magically restored. This comes in handy for a lot of sections, including the chase scene. Or, in latter parts of the game, say, when you fight the Haven Troopers before Mantis and have no health left.

Posted by Old_Snake

I actually did not know this, how long do I you have to set the clock up or is it just any time forward, period?

Posted by maian

I think it's like a week or so, but idk, I just set it forward a month every time. Shouldn't matter, unless you religiously use the clock.

Posted by Old_Snake

Interesting, that will definately come in handy, especially with that bike chase scene, the progression to Raging Raven and Screaming Mantis.

Anyway, here is an interesting little article I found:
http://kotaku.com/397433/metal-gear-solid-4s-nude-actor-motion-capture

Apparently Kojima and Co. wanted the Beauties to be totally nude after they shed thier Beast skin. Even had the motion capture actresses do the motion capture in the buff.

Quoted post: Even had the motion capture actresses do the motion capture in the buff.

because that's totally necessary, right? lol It's motion capture not video capture.

Posted by Fate

It would've made the photo sessions more worthwhile.

Not that hard to imagine a couple nipples, navel and a horribly censored vagina on your own. I mean, the suits leave little to the imagination.

Posted by maian

OH SNAP I GOT BIG BOSS RANK OH MAN I'M SO AMAZING OH SHI

pointless without achievements

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Enjoy doing it again when trophies come out!