day of silence

Posted by darkwhispers

tomorrow is the day of silence. i myself will participate because of some of my friends. (but maybe it's a tad ironic that i should post about something that requires silence :rolleyes: )

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Day of Silence for what?

Posted by Omni

The only Day of Silence I'm aware of is the one on the 25th of April.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I have never evven heard of this. You're going to have to explain it if you expect people to care.

Posted by Omni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Silence

This is probably the one he was talking about, and the only one I'm aware of existing.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, that's the one. I think he got his dates mixed up.

Not participatin'.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Dont care. Kids need to stop being so **** sensitive anyway, no matter their sexual persuasion.

Posted by Iris

Yeah, the only people I've known to participate are the trendy teenage bisexuals.

Posted by David M. Awesome

[quote=Iris;840714]Yeah, the only people I've known to participate are the trendy teenage bisexuals.

Sign me up!

Posted by mis0

Quoting Lord of Spam: Dont care. Kids need to stop being so **** sensitive anyway, no matter their sexual persuasion.

A lot of kids get horrible psychological abuse day in and day out. It's unreasonable to expect someone who doesn't have a fully developed brain to be able to cope with it.

Posted by Shade

Their problem.

Posted by mis0

And that attitude is why Columbine happened.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Shade: Their problem.

Yeah, just to raise your awareness, the one this year is in memorial of a kid named Lawrence King, who was shot and killed by one of his classmates because of his sexual orientation.

Whether it's "their problem" or not, this goes to show that events like this have meaning. Being abused and mistreated by others because you're different isn't a problem anyone should have to face, and it's pretty juvenile to make such a statement.

Posted by Shade

I meant their psychological state. Not risk of getting a cap busted in their face.

[quote]And that attitude is why Columbine happened.

That dude was gay? Huh, learn something new every day I suppose.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Shade: That dude was gay? Huh, learn something new every day I suppose.

Don't be stupid. Bullying was a big factor in causing the meltdown the Columbine shooters had, because nobody cared that they were being bullied at the time. Lots of people take the "it's their problem" attitude towards the victims of bullies, and this has turned a few into murderers. Bullying, towards anyone, for any reason, is unacceptable, and people shouldn't have to deal with it.

Posted by darkwhispers

to answer both questions, i'm not gay or anythhing like that, and our school has a vacation during the actual time so we did a premature one. PS i succeeded surprisingly

Posted by Shade

Quoting mis0: Don't be stupid. Bullying was a big factor in causing the meltdown the Columbine shooters had, because nobody cared that they were being bullied at the time. Lots of people take the "it's their problem" attitude towards the victims of bullies, and this has turned a few into murderers. Bullying, towards anyone, for any reason, is unacceptable, and people shouldn't have to deal with it.

Sarcasm. It's what's for dinner.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Lord of Spam: Dont care. Kids need to stop being so **** sensitive anyway, no matter their sexual persuasion.

Estrogen is ****ing scary. :(

At first I assumed the day of silence was in protest of the treatment of gays in the military or something, but I guess the focus is the schoolyard. I like how our places of learning and development are some of the most inhibiting, psychologically. Guess it comes with the 'socialization' part of school.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when this "lol i'm bi" trend passes and gays are (finally?) accepted into amerikan kultur. I wonder what the next trend will be... if you normalize mental ailments and gay orientation, what will be edgy and cool?

Posted by Iris

It's still cool to be bipolar and schitzophrenic, right?

Posted by mis0

Quoting Shade: Sarcasm. It's what's for dinner.

I doubt that you plan to ingest sarcasm for your evening meal.

Posted by Bebop

A day of silence? Thats dumb.

I remember when there were charity bands for an anti-bullying organisation and the kids who wore them got bullied lols

Posted by Shade

Quoting mis0: I doubt that you plan to ingest sarcasm for your evening meal.

Oh lawd, the wit. I can't take it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting mis0: Don't be stupid. Bullying was a big factor in causing the meltdown the Columbine shooters had, because nobody cared that they were being bullied at the time. Lots of people take the "it's their problem" attitude towards the victims of bullies, and this has turned a few into murderers. Bullying, towards anyone, for any reason, is unacceptable, and people shouldn't have to deal with it.

I'm really going to have to disagree here. There have been bullies as long as there have been school. Thing is, there didnt used to be rampant school shootings. Obviously bullying hasnt all of a sudden becomes some sort of horrible boogey man. I think that honestly, kids today are coddled too **** much. Every bump and scrape a booboo turns into a ******* emergency room trip from some overprotecting mom. just let the kids be ****ing kids. Let them be stupid. Let them get their *** kicked or learn to defend themselves.

Obviously, that being said, there are certain exceptions. yes, something should be done about overtly excessive bullying. Tripping someone who is holding a lot of books and beating the **** out of someone so that it DOES warrant a hospital trip are entirely different ballparks and should be treated as such. But to say that ALL bullying is some sort of out of control columbine maker? Hardly.

Posted by Omni

Except that in the case of what this event is in memorial of, it was something that should never have happened, so there's no point in actually arguing about this. This isn't really a case of anyone being oversensitive about anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.O._Green_School_shooting

Posted by junior senior

my school had this today, they said it was in memory of lawrence king, that kid that got killed for being gay and crossdressing.
lol, the anime club president was all decked out in rainbows today and didn't talk.

Posted by Shade

[quote]an eighth grade 15-year-old boy

Yes, this is what I choose to focus on.

Posted by junior senior

some schools in california make the kids start at age 6, when you & I start at 5. the kid was born january 1993

Posted by Shade

Ah, okay then, he was just held back one year then.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Omni: Yeah, just to raise your awareness, the one this year is in memorial of a kid named Lawrence King, who was shot and killed by one of his classmates because of his sexual orientation.

Whether it's "their problem" or not, this goes to show that events like this have meaning. Being abused and mistreated by others because you're different isn't a problem anyone should have to face, and it's pretty juvenile to make such a statement.

you really don't help your point when you use examples of mentally unstable people shooting people. Crazy people do crazy ****, and yet I still don't care. That's how it works.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Lord of Spam: I'm really going to have to disagree here. There have been bullies as long as there have been school. Thing is, there didnt used to be rampant school shootings. Obviously bullying hasnt all of a sudden becomes some sort of horrible boogey man. I think that honestly, kids today are coddled too **** much. Every bump and scrape a booboo turns into a ******* emergency room trip from some overprotecting mom. just let the kids be ****ing kids. Let them be stupid. Let them get their *** kicked or learn to defend themselves.

Obviously, that being said, there are certain exceptions. yes, something should be done about overtly excessive bullying. Tripping someone who is holding a lot of books and beating the **** out of someone so that it DOES warrant a hospital trip are entirely different ballparks and should be treated as such. But to say that ALL bullying is some sort of out of control columbine maker? Hardly.

what ever happened to out-successing the bullies after you got out of school, realizing that high school was total BS and those same bullies were going to grow up to be miserable failures? That or just kicking their asses? The kids getting bullied are turning into even bigger wussies and bringing guns. Yet again, it's just mentally unstable people lashing out. I don't see how "sensitivity" holidays are going to change that, honestly.

Posted by TimeSkipz

A day of silence for gays?? thats pretty ****en stupid. So they don't like the other sex and get called names. How about a day of silence for kids in africa or the war? These people are not special

Posted by Last Fog

How can anyone be against this? Hell I wish some gays would have a day of silence more than just once a year.

Also, isn't silent protest an oxymoron?

[quote=Last Fog;844019]Also, isn't silent protest an oxymoron?

No.

Posted by Last Fog

If you didn't know what day it was, and someone is silent, you'd have no idea why. And if you did know, you still wouldn't give a shit.

Doesn't make it less of a protest.

Posted by Last Fog

Sure it does. If you don't get a point across, it's a failure.

[quote=Last Fog;844032]Sure it does. If you don't get a point across, it's a failure.

It's a protest whether you get the point across or not. :cookie:

Posted by muffla

I rember this day, it was like christmass

this one girl that everybody hates in our school had rainbow tape over her mouth, she aslo faild a spanish speaking assassment because she refused to take it

[quote=muffla;844057]I rember this day, it was like christmass

this one girl that everybody hates in our school had rainbow tape over her mouth, she aslo faild a spanish speaking assassment because she refused to take it

Brilliant. :D

Posted by specopssv44

...maybe if we bully them enough, they wont talk for the entire year...

Posted by Fate

Because gays talking is the biggest problem you have with gays. :rolleyes:

Actually I find that the best way to shut them up is to stick a dick in their mouths. Keeps them quiet for at least... forty minutes.

Posted by Iris

What happened to the tolerant, open-minded speccops I remember? What have the marines done to you?!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting Fate: Because gays talking is the biggest problem you have with gays. :rolleyes:

I'm just an advocate of people, in general, shutting the **** up, in general.

Posted by TimeSkipz

Oh, a day of silence. The best day of the year. No more treat us normal even though the ones who say that are the cross dressing don't fit in with society gays, then there are the cool ones who actually don't care that they're different CUZ ITS NOT THAT IMPORTANT. haven't you gays who complain ever heard " sticks and stones "? **** YOU. So your best friend wants to get in your pants and your not gay TELL HIM TO LAY OFF and it's all cool. if you want to be treated equal stop *****ing and thinking you deserve all these special rights when you dont. You want to be treated equal but YOU deserve special rights???? **** YOU

Posted by Skitzo Control

"Nerds" had to deal with bullies just as much, if not more so, than homosexuals in high school. Why don't we have a day of silence for all those teenagers?

Posted by Iris

Because nerds are gay.

Posted by netman

i did the day of silence years ago when i first came out.

it was dumb and didnt accomplish anything

Posted by Bebop

But at least the faggots stopped complaining amirite lolooololo

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=mis0;840904]And that attitude is why Columbine happened.

I blame it on that game Doom, and gays don't deserve a day of silence. There are people who go through more suffering than them every day, so mommy and daddy dont like that your gay..how about kids that get raped by their own parents?

Posted by Fate

...Because that has nothing to do with discrimination?

Posted by Iris

They discriminate against the other children they don't rape instead.

I agree that a day of observation won't do much, but the way some people are getting hostile and bent out of shape is exactly why they came up with it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control;845720]"Nerds" had to deal with bullies just as much, if not more so, than homosexuals in high school. Why don't we have a day of silence for all those teenagers?

Because we take matters into our own hands and gun them down.

Seriously though, no one ever got dragged out into a parking and got beaten to within an inch of their life because they like Magic the Gathering or had an opinion on Quantum Gravity. The abuse nerds get pretty much ends at cruel practical jokes, with gays the abuse is actually life-threatening.

Posted by specopssv44

How about a day of silence for all the normal people that have to grit their teeth and suffer through multiple displays of flamboyant gay pride. I dont really give a **** what people do in their own bedrooms, but when its in my street and on the TV its a different story.

Posted by Iris

Exactly, because all prosecuted gays speak with a lisp and wear assless chaps down Time Square.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: Exactly, because all prosecuted gays speak with a lisp and wear assless chaps down Time Square.

No, but there is such a thing as skylining yourself. I have a good friend, who, we recently discovered, happens to be gay. Nobody really cares though because he doesnt act like a dumbass, or try and force his views on anyone.

I happen to be a gun owner, I think firearms are great. But I am aware that some people dont like firearms, and thats fine. however, If I went around teaching random young children how to use firearms, that might upset some parents, because maybe they just dont think its right. Same deal with Gay people. I dont really care what people do in their own privacy, but if I had a kid and someone tried to teach him that its ok to be gay, well id be pretty ****ing ****ed off.....

It is ok to be gay. On the other hand, if they were teaching children how to be gay, that might pose a problem.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: It is ok to be gay. On the other hand, if they were teaching children how to be gay, that might pose a problem.

Thats a personal opinion. Personally, I dont think its ok to be gay. Am I gonna **** with someone because theyre gay? No, not unless they **** me off or otherwise give me a reason. I dont think its ok to be a wiccan, or to be fat, but as long as theyre not interfering with me and my belief system then Im not gonna waste any valuable time pushing their face in/making fun of them/dragging them behind my truck.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I agree with specops, and so does the constitution. There is a vast difference between tolerance and acceptance, and I don't think I need to break out the south park link to expect all of you to know the difference.

Posted by specopssv44

Quoted post: I don't think it's okay to be a moron, but as long as they're not interfering with anything intellectual, then I'm not going to tie them to the bottom side of my lawnmower. Seems you've strayed to the wrong board though, mister.

So im a moron because I dont think its ok to be gay? What an intellectual thought there Mr.! You should write a book, we could title it "If youre not liberal, Youre a Moron" and then when someone else tells you thats stupid you can marginalize them as well.

Posted by Iris

Uh, yeah, specops is right. It's kind of hypocrtitical to call him intolerant when he doesn't force his views on people when you're being just as intolerant to his. This isn't an argument about gay marriage or something that makes a difference in how they should be treated, just his opinion on them.

Anyways, I think it's fine to be gay, but for any parent that believes that homosexuality is developed through conditioning, I'd definitely limit their exposure to it until they're mature enough to figure out who they are on their own.

Posted by S

Who said anything about being gay? Cause I sure didn't. His post, and some of its inferences, are moronic. I highlighted the one I found most moronic, it seems the important part was whiffed under the point of view that everything in this thread must be related to homosexuality. Good job.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

[QUOTE=S

Posted by S

I didn't know who you were talking to, Bj. So, sure.

-Deleted-

EDIT: In regard to edit, since your post changed, I understand your point more.

I didn't like his verbiage, don't agree with it and his use. I never stated an opinion on the matter of this thread. I labeled him a moron for his word choice. Don't like it? Get thicker skin.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

reading comprehension escapes you, my friend

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

oh, and I hate to break it to you, but the Constitution of the United States of America does protect free speech from one person to another. Here is a link in case you don't believe me. http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/06.html#1

Some quotes therefrom:
"That Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and consult for their common good, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

"Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press"-William Blackstone

So, technically, Specops can SAY and WRITE whatever he wants when an opinionated discussion arises, as he is entitled to it. I won't even point out that he is serving in the USMC, which sort of makes him a protector of those rights, and entitles him further to them. It's not like he was being ridiculous with his opinion, so lay off.

Posted by S

I suppose I phrased myself wrong, then. For those of you that didn't see my post, for the millisecond that it was actually up, I said it doesn't protect a man's free speech from one man to another. My fault, I acquiesce, not really what I meant. A man is not entitled to being protected from ridicule, is more along the lines of what I meant. Pardon.

He can say whatever the **** he wants. And I'm fully prepared to call him a douche every time he acts like one.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

the cute part is that I am using that right to ridicule your idiotic attacks on him. The cuter part is that you have yet to address my main point (you put up a straw man, saying you didn't agree with his verbiage or some such nonsense). You're backpedaling because Iris and myself pointed out your hypocrisy, and this facade of an excuse that you're using isn't convincing anyone. You attacked him because he said he didn't agree with homosexuality, and wouldn't want someone else raising HIS children to feel the same. Both of which are perfectly legal and understandable objections, and neither of which warrants being called "moronic". You need thicker skin if you're going to buckle every time under scrutiny and make **** up when you say something stupid.

Posted by S

You keep on assuming and jumping to unfounded conclusions about what I said. I'm going to go do something more productive, like brush my teeth or something.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

atta girl

Posted by specopssv44

Just for the record.... solrok.... I think you are one of the last people in the world that rate to tell me I need thicker skin... You couldn't carry my lunch to work son.... but anyways, thats another matter all together I guess.

Back to this day of silence thing. I think its kinda dumb, and its obviously not that effective because alot of people didnt even know it was going on/don't really care anyways.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

he was addressing me with the thick skin thing

Posted by specopssv44

meh... preventive maintenance

Quoted post: And I'm fully prepared to call him a douche every time he acts like one.

Yup, I dont want my children to be exposed to something I believe to be inherintly wrong.... Clear sign of douchbaggery...

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm just gonna throw this out there and see what kind of s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]itstorm it starts because I'm a bastard:

Marriage between two heterosexual people of opposite gender is less natural than a casual, short-term or long-term homosexual sexual relationship. This is not an opinion, it is scientific fact.

Let's not beat about the bush, specoppss' intolerence of homosexuality is most likely based on either religion or his perceptance of what is natural and what isn't. So unless he's the kind of person to put his head in the sand when met with any real arguement contrary to his morals, the above statement should fuck with them pretty hardcore.

Posted by Iris

Oh, by no means is marriage a casual and mostly-pleasant endeavor, simply a necessity at a certain point. Though at the same time, a lot of the necessities of marriage for heterosexual couples don't frequently exist in gay couples, like the costs of raising a family.

Besides, there's not much downside to a gay marriage since there's little reason to not have working spouses and a happier, less dramatic personal life with the person (since drama = man + woman). I support gay marriage fully as a matter of equality, but really, I doubt all of the problems that come with heterosexual marriage, such as a decline in attraction, money sharing, and building a family, would be as impactful in homosexual marriages, if they even had any impact at all. The benefits aren't as important to homosexual couples because they probably won't have to face a lot of the same shortcomings. Not to say they might not have their own or something, but I can't fathom any in particular at the moment other than the usual discrimination problems that aren't marriage-exclusive.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak:

Marriage between two heterosexual people of opposite gender is less natural than a casual, short-term or long-term homosexual sexual relationship. This is not an opinion, it is scientific fact.

this isn't the games board bro, you cant' call something fact without a link. otherwise, it's just rolling, link me to this please.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Poco;852076]this isn't the games board bro, you cant' call something fact without a link. otherwise, it's just rolling, link me to this please.

It's pretty much common knowledge that there's rampant homosexuality in nature and an almost complete absence of monogamy in most species. Apart from swans.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: It's pretty much common knowledge that there's rampant homosexuality in nature and an almost complete absence of monogamy in most species. Apart from swans.

yes, this is true, but please provide backup about the stuff you were calling "scientific fact". it's not that i doubt it, it's just i want to see where it came from. and basically calling homosexuality more natural is the most retarded thing ever. it goes completely against the theory of survival. i don't think it's wrong, no; but it's def. not the more natural thing.

Posted by Speedfreak

Being perfectly suited for survival isn't natural. Nature fucks up all the time, homosexuality is a mistake of nature, but one that occurs completely naturally. If everything were perfect for survival it wouldn't be very natural at all.

Posted by #061402

Quoting Speedfreak: Being perfectly suited for survival isn't natural. Nature fucks up all the time, homosexuality is a mistake of nature, but one that occurs completely naturally. If everything were perfect for survival it wouldn't be very natural at all.

Of course it wouldn't. Nature tries some new stuff sometimes, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The strong survive.

If you look at it from an evolutionary point of view, homosexuality is "wrong", or rather an error. Had our species started out as homosexuals, we wouldn't be here now. Homosexuality isn't a winning factor when it comes to keeping the species in existence.

Don't get me wrong though, I have nothing against homosexuals. Seeing how we are the dominant species on the planet, what does it matter if some of us go homosexual anyway? We don't really run the risk of going extinct.

But as far as I know, we don't really have that kind of trouble where I live. Mainly because you risk getting sued if you insult homosexuals. Can't really say anything about the Day of Silence as we don't have it here.