Mario Kart Wii

Posted by Bebop

Very awesome. Alot better than I actually thought it would be. I wasn't really bothered about when it was merely news and screen shots but the controls and course design easily makes it the game I'm playing the most now. The music when you win a race is great too.

Posted by Alastor

How's the handling? After playing DS, I couldn't bear to play Double Dash!! anymore. It felt way too **** slippery, whereas DS felt really tight (even if you had a kart with pretty poor handling).

Posted by junior senior

i want this :(
I'm going to nintendo world on the 21st, but it doesn't come out until a week later. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I've got it, and I only need Toadette and that other character now. It's... Mario Kart.

Apart from the increase in racers, it handles a lot like Double Dash!! (I mainly play as DK on the Wario Bike and Luigi on the Wing Kart), especially when using the GCN controller. Bikes, disappointingly, don't seem to differ from karts much in terms of handling. Only bonus are the stunts. The Wii Wheel isn't half bad, but it isn't as responsive as any of the old fashioned controllers, and as someone used to driving a real car, having a steering wheel that doesn't lock is a real pain in the ***.

The WiFi is surprisingly good. Each Nintendo game appears to be building a better online service as time goes by. BUT WHERES MY VOIP

Posted by Alastor

Quoting The X: it handles a lot like Double Dash!!

Suddenly I'm afraid of how little I'll like this game. :(

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting The X:
The WiFi is surprisingly good. Each Nintendo game appears to be building a better online service as time goes by.

Time will tell.

Posted by maian

Wai-, so who are the characters, anyway?

Posted by Alastor

Pretty much every Mario sports character you're used to seeing, plus Funky Kong, Rosalina, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy (I think), some kind of undead Bowser (from New SMB, I think) and a couple of others. The Blue Falcon looks awesome.

Posted by maian

Funky Kong?

OHSHI

Posted by Alastor

Yeah, he's unlockable.

Posted by Ant

I'll only be playing as Rosalina.

I LOOK FORWARD TO PLAYING IT.

Posted by Alastor

But I thought Peach was your wife? You cheating bastard.

Posted by Ant

Ros is my emo mistress lol.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: having a steering wheel that doesn't lock is a real pain in the ***.

Probably the dumbest thing you'v ever said.

The wheel works really well. I find myself able to make spot on accurate turns in just the default cars. I cant be bothered to try anything else.

It controls closer to DS than GC I feel and that might in part have something to do with the size of the vehicles.

WiFi is good too. Easy to find your friends, join them and stay in a game.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Bebop;840329]Probably the dumbest thing you'v ever said.How the hell is it dumb? The wheel's supposed to emulate the feel of driving a car... and it doesn't.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: How the hell is it dumb? The wheel's supposed to emulate the feel of driving a car... and it doesn't.

No it's not. The wheel is supposed to be a snazzy, comfortable thing to hold the wiimote in.

In any case "it doesnt lock" is a ****ing dumb critiscm. You might as well be saying that about a frisbee. Of course it doesnt lock because all it is is a ****ing plastic circle you're holding onto. It's not supposed to! That's like saying the Ps3 is rubbish because it doesnt hover mid air.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;840342]The wheel's supposed to emulate the feel of driving a car.

Wow, talk about setting yourself up for disappointment. It's clearly not supposed to do that, there's no way it could without any force feedback. The wheel is clearly just a friendly interface for casual gamers, friendlier than a regular controller. Wii's been out for more than a year, how do you not get this by now?

Posted by Borealis

As great as it may be, I'm still not going to purchase it for myself when the only instances that I'll play this game is in a friend-filled environment, a.k.a. my friend's house. This is how it's always been since Mario Kart 64 -- excluding Mario Kart DS.

Quoting The X: The WiFi is surprisingly good. Each Nintendo game appears to be building a better online service as time goes by.

*******it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Look, I understand that the Wii Wheel wasn't going to be capable of recreating a real driving experience. I never expected it would be. I was just saying that I'm so used to using steering wheels that the handling of it throws me off a lot.

Posted by Zeta

Have they made the item system more like 64's? While I love the items, I got ****ing sick of only getting bananas and green shells while everyone behind me gets like 50 blue shells in MKDS.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

In the first place all I seem to get are bananas and green shells. But really, what other items would you need in 1st place?

Posted by Zeta

Shrooms.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Bebop: No it's not. The wheel is supposed to be a snazzy, comfortable thing to hold the wiimote in.

In any case "it doesnt lock" is a ****ing dumb critiscm. You might as well be saying that about a frisbee. Of course it doesnt lock because all it is is a ****ing plastic circle you're holding onto. It's not supposed to! That's like saying the Ps3 is rubbish because it doesnt hover mid air.

In any case "you might as well be saying that about a frisbee" is a ****ing dumb criticism of X's criticism, considering Nintendo is trying to make the controls easier to comprehend for newcomers by associating their product to a car's steering wheel. Ofcourse they wanted the players to think they're driving a car with the wii wheel... Just looking at the pics speak for themselves.

Quoting Speedfreak:
The wheel is clearly just a friendly interface for casual gamers, friendlier than a regular controller.

Yes, but what makes the interface friendlier to a newcomer? It couldn't be because they're mimicking the shape of a car's steering wheel: An object that all casual gamers are familiar with for reference.

[quote=nintendo UK website] Mario Kart Wii (to be released in 2008) launches with the Wii Wheel (name not final), a steering wheel housing for the Wii Remote that brings new controls and challenges for veteran gamers, while making getting into a race easy and intuitive for newcomers.

"easy and intuitive for newcomers". What can be easier to comprehend controls of a car game than using a steering wheel? It's pretty easy. Even little kids have a basic grasp of how to operate a steering wheel.

Anything that goes against what a real steering wheel does is warrented for criticism because nintendo thinks casual gamers will rely on their own steering in their personal cars as an example to understanding how to play the game. Any difference between the two creates distortion, and ruins the relation casual gamers are suppose to gather.

Maaan, X is so stupid for criticizing nintendo. . .

Posted by Bebop

Quoting WillisGreeny: In any case "you might as well be saying that about a frisbee" is a ****ing dumb criticism of X's criticism, considering Nintendo is trying to make the controls easier to comprehend for newcomers by associating their product to a car's steering wheel.

The wheel is basically a frisbee in the sense it's just a circle. Expecting the wheel to lock is as dumb as expecting a frisbee to lock because it's so obvious it wont. Point is using that criticsm is dumb because it couldn't be more obvious it isn't what it was intended for or capable of. Point get?

[quote]Ofcourse they wanted the players to think they're driving a car with the wii wheel... Just looking at the pics speak for themselves.

Where in those pictures does it say "using the wheel is exactly like using a real steering wheel?"

Advertising and spin are dangerous for the very impressionable. I sure hope you don't read newspapers.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Bebop: The wheel is basically a frisbee in the sense it's just a circle. Expecting the wheel to lock is as dumb as expecting a frisbee to lock because it's so obvious it wont. Point is using that criticsm is dumb because it couldn't be more obvious it isn't what it was intended for or capable of. Point get?

Where in those pictures does it say "using the wheel is exactly like using a real steering wheel?"

PR and spin are dangerous for the very impressionable. I sure hope you don't read newspapers.

Wait...what? What exactly are you arguing?

How exactly can you argue there not being any Nintendo spin in your 2nd to last line, and then contradict yourself on the last line by saying the spin has effected me? And why do you presume to think anyone expected the wheel to lock up?

Here, I'll spell it out for you:
1.Nintendo made the wii wheel easy for new comers to use.
2.The Wii wheel is shaped like a steering wheel for new comers to reference there own steering wheels in their cars.
3.The "Spin" aims at how the wii wheel is easy to use for new comers because it's like a car's steering wheel.
4.A real steering wheel clearly isn't like the Wii wheel, so we're criticising nintendo for the market spin, because if you use it like a real steering wheel it won't lock up, making it pointless.

No, they didn't flatout say it's like a real steering wheel, they just have pictures of mario acting like he's in a go-kart holding a wii wheel as if it was the real steering wheel.
:cookie:

Impressionable? :horse:
You really think X and I aren't aware it's just plastic in the shape of a circle? I haven't argued at all the mechanics of the wii wheels being more than what they are. X said because the wii wheel DOESN'T lock up, having the controller in a steering wheel doesn't help him much. I sure as hell wasn't expecting the wheel to lock, and I doubt X did either.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=WillisGreeny;840513]Anything that goes against what a real steering wheel does is warrented for criticism because nintendo thinks casual gamers will rely on their own steering in their personal cars as an example to understanding how to play the game. Any difference between the two creates distortion, and ruins the relation casual gamers are suppose to gather.

By this moon logic the game should be an actual go-kart with a full arsenal of comical weapons. Absolutely anything less than that would confuse casual gamers.

This is assuming that you realise the steering wheel superficially mimicks a steering wheel better than an analog stick ever would and are just disappointed that it's not Nintendo's answer to the Xbox steering wheel. This being the case you are clearly tripping balls. It's Mario Kart for ***'s sake, they left in standard control methods for a reason.

The peripheral isn't for Mario Kart fans, it never was. Expecting some kind of improvement over the regular control scheme is beyond a deluded fantasy, it's bordering on intentionally setting yourself up for disappointment because that's just what one does with Wii games nowadays. The fact is it's easier to comprehend for Wii Sports fans, proven by it's faster sales than the last two Mario Karts despite offering next to nothing new for fans of the series.

Just be happy that you have more retards to play your stupid rubber-band game with.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;840605] Expecting some kind of improvement over the regular control scheme is beyond a deluded fantasy
... Isn't this the whole point in the Wii? To improve the way we control games, using motion sensitivity and whatnot? I think it's actually idiotic to claim that Nintendo just thought up motion controls just to appeal to the casual gamer - as you seem to be saying.

[quote=Zeta;840510]Shrooms.
I guess. But 1st place is so **** lonely in this game, I really don't need any more advantages.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak: By this moon logic the game should be an actual go-kart with a full arsenal of comical weapons. Absolutely anything less than that would confuse casual gamers.

At what point did I say Nintendo needed the wheel to lock, or be more realistic?

[quote]

This is assuming that you realise the steering wheel superficially mimicks a steering wheel better than an analog stick ever would and are just disappointed that it's not Nintendo's answer to the Xbox steering wheel. This being the case you are clearly tripping balls. It's Mario Kart for ***'s sake, they left in standard control methods for a reason.

My point has been more towards not having the wii wheel at all because it doesn't inhance the expereience as much as Nintendo markets it for. A wheel that locks is much more useful than having to personally mimick the lock. Looking at the usefulness, a none locking wheel is pointless, and the only benafit is how you hold the controler... which helps casual gamers how? Holding a steering wheel compared to a tv remote...hmmm.

Does this mean I think it won't sell well? Mario Kart with wifi will sell like hot cakes, no doubt. Hell, I love Mario Kart, so ofcourse I hope it sells well with or without the wheel.

[quote]

The peripheral isn't for Mario Kart fans, it never was. Expecting some kind of improvement over the regular control scheme is beyond a deluded fantasy, it's bordering on intentionally setting yourself up for disappointment because that's just what one does with Wii games nowadays. The fact is it's easier to comprehend for Wii Sports fans, proven by it's faster sales than the last two Mario Karts despite offering next to nothing new for fans of the series.

Ofcourse it's not for Mario Kart fans, it's for causal gamers who know how real steering wheels work more so than the mechanics of a video game controler. Once again, I'm saying the wheel not locking makes the casual gamer have to learn how to operate the controler differently, which at that point they might aswell learn how to use the normal controler.

Are we coming to an understanding yet?
[quote]
Just be happy that you have more retards to play your stupid rubber-band game with.

waait, did I create the rubber-band game all of a sudden?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;840606]I think it's actually idiotic to claim that Nintendo just thought up motion controls just to appeal to the casual gamer - as you seem to be saying.

...that's exactly why they did it. That was priority number one for their new system. Holy s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it, man. I hope you stop to think about this and have a "now it all makes sense" moment.

[quote=WillisGreeny;840622]Ofcourse it's not for Mario Kart fans, it's for causal gamers who know how real steering wheels work more so than the mechanics of a video game controler. Once again, I'm saying the wheel not locking makes the casual gamer have to learn how to operate the controler differently, which at that point they might aswell learn how to use the normal controler.

I figure this is the crux of your arguement, so I'll just address this part.

Any moron knows how a steering wheel works, whether it's attached to a car or not. You turn the wheel right, you go right; you turn left, you go left. That is infinitely more attractive than a controller with six buttons, 2 sticks and 2 analog buttons. It doesn't have to be a completely accurate simulation to get the general idea across, especially when your game includes banana-flinging dinosaurs in go-karts.

Is it the best solution? No. But the best solution a) isn't remotely necessary, and b) couldn't be packaged for free with the game, which is the entire point.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting WillisGreeny: Wait...what? What exactly are you arguing?

How exactly can you argue there not being any Nintendo spin in your 2nd to last line, and then contradict yourself on the last line by saying the spin has effected me? And why do you presume to think anyone expected the wheel to lock up?

Here, I'll spell it out for you:
1.Nintendo made the wii wheel easy for new comers to use.
2.The Wii wheel is shaped like a steering wheel for new comers to reference there own steering wheels in their cars.
3.The "Spin" aims at how the wii wheel is easy to use for new comers because it's like a car's steering wheel.
4.A real steering wheel clearly isn't like the Wii wheel, so we're criticising nintendo for the market spin, because if you use it like a real steering wheel it won't lock up, making it pointless.

No, they didn't flatout say it's like a real steering wheel, they just have pictures of mario acting like he's in a go-kart holding a wii wheel as if it was the real steering wheel.
:cookie:

Impressionable? :horse:
You really think X and I aren't aware it's just plastic in the shape of a circle? I haven't argued at all the mechanics of the wii wheels being more than what they are. X said because the wii wheel DOESN'T lock up, having the controller in a steering wheel doesn't help him much. I sure as hell wasn't expecting the wheel to lock, and I doubt X did either.

I stopped reading when it became clear you're suprised a multi billion dollar worth company in a high competitve industry uses spin. I hope you dont watch the news.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You do realize all we're complaining about is that the wheel doesn't feel that much like a real one? Right?

Posted by Bebop

Oh.

Sorry. I thought you actually had a real complaint.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

... Well, it is a complaint. But not one that warrants huge essays from the YOU'RE WRONG brothers.

Posted by Bebop

So explaining why someone is a retard for not liking a controller holder because it doesn't emulate the EXACT workings of a REAL wheel from a REAL car when that even isn't what it is designed to do..makes you the idiot?

Interesting.

Also learn the difference between a complaint and a real complaint. Ask Vamp. He knows everything about what makes an opinion valid (when it comes to his own)

Posted by Breakman

i have this thing pre-ordered

it had better be totally gnarly

Posted by David M. Awesome

In after **** storm.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting Speedfreak: ...that's exactly why they did it. That was priority number one for their new system. Holy s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]it, man. I hope you stop to think about this and have a "now it all makes sense" moment.

I figure this is the crux of your arguement, so I'll just address this part.

Any moron knows how a steering wheel works, whether it's attached to a car or not. You turn the wheel right, you go right; you turn left, you go left. That is infinitely more attractive than a controller with six buttons, 2 sticks and 2 analog buttons. It doesn't have to be a completely accurate simulation to get the general idea across, especially when your game includes banana-flinging dinosaurs in go-karts.

Is it the best solution? No. But the best solution a) isn't remotely necessary, and b) couldn't be packaged for free with the game, which is the entire point.

Almost everything you've said I've agreed with completely in terms of Nintendo's short term profits. My arguments aren't aimed at saying Nintendo's thinking for the wii wheel is stupid, but for the stupid crucifixion of X being stupid. Nintendo intended for their controls to be easy to use, and X said they were't because the wheel didn't lock. Open and shut case. If X is saying the controller designed to be easier for newcomers still has some difficulties, you can't keep shoveling out the "they meant to do that" crap and expect that to really mean anything. Nintendo made a choice to economize the controler instead of making one that could lock. They also believed the controler would still be attractive to newcomers without it needing to lock. X pointed out a problem with a controler that doesn't lock, which effects that attractivness of the wii wheel for newcomers. I don't see what all the fuss is about? Sounds like a fine complaint.

Quoting Bebop: I stopped reading when it became clear you're suprised a multi billion dollar worth company in a high competitve industry uses spin. I hope you dont watch the news.

Something I never insinuated with regarding to my expectations of Nintendo became clear? I've been basing my arguments with the acknowledgment that Nintendo IS doing a spin with the wii wheel. And because of that, the wii wheel becomes a target for being called a gimmick. People will either have false expectations, or be like me, and be disgusted with the spin, which is why I say they would have been better off with no wii wheel at all. However, I'm still reserving final judgment until I use it once.

Refresher:
Because the wii wheel doesn't lock, X found the controls to be a bit difficult. Nintendo DID intend for their controls to be easy to understand for vets and newcomers, so I don't see how someone criticising the control scheme for being difficult is instantly deemed a moron because he said "because it didn't lock". Why does this supposed moron have to get bombarded with "Nintendo's intentions"? As if that information proves how wrong he is for thinking a locking wii wheel would have been an easier control scheme.

This is my last Post on the subject where I give a ****.

Posted by malika

Mario Kart Wii ,Wii, Mario Kart Wii?) is a kart racing video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Wii console. It is the sixth installment in the series (not including the two arcade games) and the second to use Nintendo's free online service,

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;840778]You do realize all we're complaining about is that the wheel doesn't feel that much like a real one? Right?

Yes, and we're figuratively slapping you with a wet fish for being so d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn stupid as to think that it could or should feel like a real one when there's much more obvious stuff to complain about, like blue shells.

Played it for like 3 hours last night, by the way. While the game is pretty much a game for retards, I give Nintendo massive props for making it completely lag-free. I mean seriously, I've had lag in WoW with it's expensive servers, lag in Halo 2 with Microsofts immortal online service, I even had lag in Burnout on PS3 when the internet connection might as well have been a LAN. But playing with an American on the west coast, a Japanese guy (in Japan!) and a few scattered Europeans and Brits with responsiveness I'd expect out of split-screen is a technical f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking marvel, 30FPS or not.

I hope they get that netcoder working on an online game that actually matters (Four Swords!)

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Meh. Think I'll duct tape or weld mine to my old N64 steering wheel and try it that way. If that doesn't make the Wii Wheel awesome, I'll be using a GAMECUBE controller.

Posted by David M. Awesome

[quote=David M. Awesome;840832]In after **** storm.

Guess I spoke too soon. :(

Posted by maian

Wow, let's actually have a discussion about the game instead of a retarded argument questioning Nintendo's motives behind the Wii Wheel. :cookie:

Just watched the video review, and I think it looks awesome. Need money. :(

Posted by Bebop

Warios Gold Mine is my favorite track.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

YOU ****ING IDIOT YOUR STUPID MOON LOGIC DONT YOU SEE THAT MUSHROOM GORGE IS THAT BEST IDIOT

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

http://kotaku.com/382058/a-6-year+olds-take-on-the-wii-wheel

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian;841743]Wow, let's actually have a discussion about the game instead of a retarded argument questioning Nintendo's motives behind the Wii Wheel. :cookie:

Yeah you're right, let's have an interesting discussion.

Do ya like the vidya game?

I like tha vidya game.

[quote=The X;841893][URL]http://kotaku.com/382058/a-6-year+olds-take-on-the-wii-wheel[/URL]

Too lazy to watch, could you please confirm whether the 6 year old likes or dislikes tha vidya game?

Posted by junior senior

I went to Nintendo World yesterday and the entire place was decorated for the release :)

Quoting Speedfreak:
Too lazy to watch, could you please confirm whether the 6 year old likes or dislikes tha vidya game?

It's a 6-year-old being interviewed while he's trying to concentrate on a video game, Speedfreak. He doesn't know what he's saying.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Judging by the 6-year-old's hesitations, I'd say he was being fed lines.

Posted by Bebop

It's hard to talk when you're concentrating on the road. The interviewer was being irresponsible.

Well yeah, and listen to the questions. "You remember the 360. Is it easier?" What's he asking? Is the Wii Wheel easier than the 360 controller? Or is he asking if the 360 controller is easier than the Wii Wheel?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Well, I got told.

Posted by Ant

What's your friend code The X?

Posted by Colonel

Here's my personal opinion on Mario Kart Wii:

The Wii Wheel

It works phenominally well, much better than I would have thought.

The levels

The levels are pretty cool. Personally my favourites are Koopa Kape and DK Summit. Although it seems like the new levels out weigh the retro levels brought back from previous Mario Kart generations.

The Characters

Funky Kong FTW!

The WiFi

Nintendo managed not to eff up this game's Wifi, in fact it's very well done. The only thing that is a little upsetting it in battle mode, you cannot choose wether you want to do Battle Mode or Coin Chasers it picks randomly. No big deal though.

The Vehicles

The Karts are decent in this generation, unfortunatly there isn't very much variety. With the debut of motorcycles in full swing, I find that they are quick and nimble, but are simply too weak when things get up close and personal.

Especially on narrow bridges. YIKES :O

The Game Play

Mario Kart Wii has tons of fun modes to choose from, mainly Grand Prix. Personally, I found Grand Prix really easy up until 150cc, at that point it became really frustrating. If you are in 1st for most of the race, you are bound to be mucked up by a Leader Shell and drop back a couple spaces.

I find it very annoying when you are hit from people who had just used a speed shroom and I get very ****y when you get hit by items one after the other.

OMG 12th place :(

The items

A couple new items are new to Mario Kart Wii like the Mega Mushrooms and Pow Blocks, others are taken from Old School Mario Karts and Mario Kart DS. I found that Bullet Bill is very very usefull when you're lossing, but nothing ****es me off more than when you're in 12th place and you can't get any good items to gain an advantage.

All in all I love this game, and it's super fun.

9/10

Posted by steal02152

i need freinds 0344-9676-8742 name daniel

Posted by junior senior

I got it today, the steering wheel is too big for my hands. I may just use the classic

Posted by Shade

Damn I love Mario Kart.

...I needs a Wii. :(

Posted by Zeta

oh lawd, I got Mario Kart Wii as a belated birthday present, and I still don't have a Wii.

Also, Nintendo needs to ****ing bring back the wingless Spiny Shell. That one gave you a chance to improve your place by hitting everyone in front of you, but the winged one doesn't help you at all. Just punishes the leader for no reason.

Posted by Shade

You've got half the package at least.

Man, I almost forgot about the wingless blue. Such good times.

Posted by Ant

I did forget about them. :$

it sucks how when you play online you don't get as many points as when you are using the ****ty wii-wheel :(

Posted by Zeta

Hahaha wow, really? Geez Nintendo...

Posted by Rikoru

I think the wii wheel isn't locked because a lot of people I know tend to tilt the controller, and if it were locked, it wouldn't feel comfortable trying to move it (At least I wouldn't feel comfortable). Personally, I never played a game with an actual wheel, so Mario Kart Wii is my first time with a steering wheel, and It took me about one race to get used to, and now I won't use anything besides the Wii Wheel.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Fuuuuuuuck
This nightmare lives on.

Posted by Ant

ditched that worthless thing after the first day. complete ****ing garbage.