Wii Fitness

Posted by hellen4you

Nintendo is developing a Wii Fitness game.
Unlike the other Wii games, this game is designed to help keep lazy teens healthy.
It is also designed to be an addition to an active person's workout routine.

Read this article then post what you think.

Good for us or bad?

I personally think that if this is released in America, Americans will think this is a substitute for working out. Which it isn't.
It's another way to keep you active and fit.
Eating healthy, working out, and activities are what keep you healthy.
This video game will just add to the options.

Posted by Speedfreak

How is it not a substitute for working out? It's essentially a fitness video that tracks your progress.

Posted by Degeneration

It's not about to replace a trip to the gym, I'm sure, but it could motivate a lot of people to improve their health.

Yeah, plenty of buyers are gonna think the game makes up for their poor nutrition and lack of regular exercise. They'll eventually figure out that it doesn't, so they'll call it a waste.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm sure it'll make up for your lack of regular exercise when playing the game regularly means exercising regularly ;)

Posted by Crazy K

It won't be anything extreme. It'll be a more casual exercising experience. It won't be like any workout you get with at the gym, but I'm sure you'll get some benefits from the Wii Fit.

Posted by Speedfreak

No, but you don't need to work out at a gym to get "regular exercise". Half an hour of light exercise a day (like walking to and from work) is easily enough. Wii Fit can easily deliver that with aerobics and pushups.

Posted by Degeneration

Miyamoto himself has said ([url=http://kotaku.com/356513/wii-fit-not-actually-intended-to-make-you-fit]link[/url]) that it's designed primarily to make people aware of their health. It's more of a learning experience than anything, so like I said, you won't become fit just by playing the game now and then.

But for people with the right mindset, if Wii Fit ends up motivating them to get more active and improve their overall health habits, I think its purchase would prove to be a positive step.

Of course, whether the theory of a step would be worth the price tag is another issue altogether...

Posted by Poco

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/miyamoto-wii-fit-is-not-designed-to-make-you-fit/19355

I think that's sorta relevant. So basically you're just being made aware of how out of/in shape you are. I can do that with a BMI calculator. However the boar donly supports 200 lbs. so I guess that kinda makes it useless to everyone but soccer moms and gamer girls.

Posted by Iris

Of course it won't replace real excercise, it's not supposed to. I highly doubt anyone would cancel a gym membership and play this instead. It's simply supposed to replace sitting on your *** playing video games, so it's a pretty good step to becoming active.

Sure, it's not a great weight loss method, but it's far superior to doing nothing.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Poco;840737]However the boar donly supports 200 lbs. so I guess that kinda makes it useless to everyone but soccer moms and gamer girls.

Because the only people that weigh less than 200lbs are women.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: Because the only people that weigh less than 200lbs are women.

you really dont know a joke when you see one do you

oh wait i forgot video game discussion should be 100 percent serious. lets talk about sesame street now no jokes allowed. video games arent for fun, tis to see the art that is involved. VIDEO GAMES

Posted by S

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/04/02/the-great-experiment-wii-fit-%E2%80%93-final-report-or-how-i-lost-10-pounds-in-7-weeks-by-playing-video-games/

Was an interesting read and relevant to this topic.

Posted by Breakman

*** knows it'd be kool having a game to help me be less of a pasty out of shape nerd and more of just a pasty nerd

i actually worked out / shot hoops / walked and jogged / went to the gym / played tennis / etc a ton with a couple friends a couple years ago and lost like almost 50 pounds in a few months and was starting to look pretty kool

then that somehow dissolved and without friends to push me or do stuff with me it's reeeeeeally hard to want to really keep a regimen

something like wiifit to make me get off the chair for awhile each day in the form of a game with which i can push myself to do mroe and more in addition to it would be an excellent idea for me personally

Posted by Borealis

It's also for the thousands of casual gaming Wii-owners to jizz all up on.

Posted by WillisGreeny

If you're a fat-unhealthy person uninfluenced by mirrors, or a lazy-unhealthy person who hates keeping track of food consumption and exercise, Nintendo is making a product for YOU.

Wii Fit: A graphing game that uses a balancing board to collect data, so you don't have to.

Me? Not buying.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Poco;841064]you really dont know a joke when you see one do you

You don't get it. YOU JUST AREN'T FUNNY.

One of the writers on 4 color rebellion tried the game for 7 weeks after it launched in Japan. He only lost 10lb, but despite finding the exercise difficult to keep up with at first he eventually found it too easy. He didn't change his diet at all and only used it on average an hour a day. That's pretty decent proof of it working, at least.

Posted by G-Sides

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wDrroFX3Rc0

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: You don't get it. YOU JUST AREN'T FUNNY.

Yes, I forgot. All mediums of art must be treated with due amounts of respect. I'm sorry I let my "Manchild" self off of its leash. I'll try to restrain myself more, from this point on. My apologies, Mr. Supermod Speedfreak.