OMW MICROSOFT COPIED

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoted post:
If everything goes according to plan, Microsoft's response to Nintendo's Wii will appear before the end of the year, a developer who has been briefed on the project told MTV News. The Xbox 360 manufacturer has been working on its own version of the motion-controlled Wii remote since last summer, the developer said.

Since Nintendo's Wii became a global sensation and Sony launched a PS3 controller that is also motion-sensitive, rumors have reverberated through the gaming industry that Microsoft would create a motion-controller of its own.

While nothing has been officially announced, MTV News' source was able to provide us with details on one such 360 controller in the making: a controller designed to do all the Wii remote does, and more. Our source chose to remain anonymous in the interest of not compromising business relationships, but MTV News has confirmed Microsoft's active interest in developing a motion-sensitive controller with other industry sources.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1584945/20080407/id_0.jhtml

With the PS2, PS3 and Wii handing their asses to them I guess this is the latest of their desperate measures to fight back.

Unless they produce some cheap bundle with it as standard, and a ton of games to go along with it, I can't see this taking off. But I'm totally up for BioShock 2 with Wii controls.

Posted by Alastor

Microsoft uses Paint to showcase prototype hardware now?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

MTV Gaming News pulls **** out of its *** all the time. Do a Kotaku search and look at some of the other 'leaks' they've tried to report on.

also, asses handed to them? wut? One week you're 'sonysux', the next it's 'm$sux'. Make up your mind, dude.

Posted by Shade

Meh. Not a fan of the Wii-Mote anyway, probably won't look into this unless it's for the novelty factor.

Hay wait since when is the PS3 handing Microsoft's asses to them?

Posted by Ant

In Europe and Japan the PS Triple is doing way better than the Xbox Circle.

Regardless, it was bound to happen. And if this isn't the real deal, then it's going to happen eventually anyways.

Posted by Iris

Yeah, can't have one system with an advanced controller and not expect the others to copy.

I'm all in favor of adding buttons with colored shapes and a few analog sticks to the next Wiimote.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Why is it a surprise to you kids when companies copy each other?

holy ****, companies try to stay competitive? THE NERVE! HOW DARE THEY?

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Honestly, I couldn't give much of a crap what any of the companies do anymore.

Wii is still cheaper, and that's all poor idiots like me care about.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Ant: In Europe and Japan the PS Triple is doing way better than the Xbox Circle.

NA sales are all that matter. Jeez.

And oh yeah big shock that the PS3's doing better than the 360 in Japan. Those ****ers don't like imported consoles.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade;834761]NA sales are all that matter. Jeez.

For 360 yeah, that's the only territory where it's doing well. PS3 has been closing the gap on 360 since it launched in NA. At this rate MS it won't do much better than Xbox classic.

[quote=The X;834657]also, asses handed to them? wut? One week you're 'sonysux', the next it's 'm$sux'. Make up your mind, dude.

That was 6 months ago, before holiday season 2007...*awkward silence*

Posted by Prince Shondronai

It'll be interesting to see if any major company can duplicate the feel of Nintendo's technology without duplicating the technology itself, and thus getting the pants and other articles of clothing sued off of them.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Shade: Meh. Not a fan of the Wii-Mote anyway, probably won't look into this unless it's for the novelty factor.

Agreed , after buying 25+ wii games the whole motion crap thing is getting tiring and gimiky(sp).

Posted by Old_Snake

MTV isn't the most reliable of sources as someone pointed out, but I wouldn't be all that surprised, but it didn't work too well for Sony with the Six-axis, so I don't see it working too well in Microsoft's favor, either. Unless, of course, they just do it that much better

Quoting Unite: Agreed , after buying 25+ wii games the whole motion crap thing is getting tiring and gimiky(sp).

I personally have not been a huge fan of the Wii-mote controls either, but I think calling it gimmicky is a tad harsh.

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Prince Shondronai;834862]It'll be interesting to see if any major company can duplicate the feel of Nintendo's technology without duplicating the technology itself, and thus getting the pants and other articles of clothing sued off of them.
I'm not sure, but I'm fairly certain Nintendo doesn't own the patent to such technology. MS only has to pay whoever owns the patent royalties, if they really wanted that technology. Not only that, the 360 controller already lasts 20+ more hours in batter life than any of the other controllers, so why the add-on technology? Lastly, MS is already doing better than we all anticipated overseas (it's actually seeing sales in Japan!), they don't need to compete.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Unite: Agreed , after buying 25+ wii games the whole motion crap thing is getting tiring and gimiky(sp).

If I bought 25 wii games I'd probably think it was **** too considering there aren't that many AAA titles on the system. I mean, you don't have to get all great games, but come on.

Posted by mis0

I think the gimmick is almost worse with the sixaxis because it seems like developers are using it just because it's there, not because it actually adds anything of value to the gameplay. The only exception that comes to mind is flOw.

Posted by Degeneration

Put on your pre-ordering shoes! Super Party Mania Jamboree 360 confirmed!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Unite;835021]after buying 25+ wii games

Haha, you must have the world's worst game collection.

[quote=mis0;839146]I think the gimmick is almost worse with the sixaxis because it seems like developers are using it just because it's there, not because it actually adds anything of value to the gameplay. The only exception that comes to mind is flOw.

You could argue that most 360 devs are just using the extra graphics horsepower because it's there without actually significantly improving gameplay. Video game graphics seem to be seen as less of a gimmick than more higher detiail on chess peices, though...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Graphics don't get in the way of gameplay, though. Waggle does, quite often.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;839153]Graphics don't get in the way of gameplay, though. Waggle does, quite often.

Doesn't make it less of a gimmick, guess it's just a gimmick that doesn't also piss you off.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Speedfreak: Haha, you must have the world's worst game collection.

You could argue that most 360 devs are just using the extra graphics horsepower because it's there without actually significantly improving gameplay. Video game graphics seem to be seen as less of a gimmick than more higher detiail on chess peices, though...

I'd only agree if all games that have great graphics were being sold on the basis that they have great graphics.

The way a lot of developers use of motion control, on the other hand, is just annoying; for example, Toy Home on the PS3 would be just as good if you could steer using an analogue stick. Using the sixaxis is less intuitive and it doesn't add anything to the gameplay. Steering a car by waving a controller around isn't the same as using a steering wheel. It's a stupid, and somewhat annoying gimmick.

Developers screw up normal gameplay all the time, too, though.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Speedfreak;834828]That was 6 months ago, before holiday season 2007...*awkward silence*

Check out the Febuary 08 sales. XB360 got owned because of shipping problems or some crap

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=TimeSkipz;839345]Check out the Febuary 08 sales. XB360 got owned because of shipping problems or some crap

Considering the 360 surplus all through 2007 I find that very hard to believe. Even if true, that only accounts for one month, PS3 has outsold 360 in many other months.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Speedfreak: Haha, you must have the world's worst game collection.

Whats wrong with trying out games?

Posted by Shade

What's wrong with renting games?

[quote=Speedy]Video game graphics seem to be seen as less of a gimmick than more higher detiail on chess peices, though...

Probably because graphics aren't a gimmick. You just said that in the first place because "hey they're saying the Wii and PS3 have gimmicks, time to make up something for the 360!"

And for future reference, "more higher" is redundant.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Shade: What's wrong with renting games?

paying money for something u can't keep? no thanks.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade;839438]Probably because graphics aren't a gimmick. You just said that in the first place because "hey they're saying the Wii and PS3 have gimmicks, time to make up something for the 360!"

And for future reference, "more higher" is redundant.

I was asserting that they are a gimmick, as they add as much to gameplay as special highly detailed Chess add to the game of Chess when simple wooden peices suffice. It literally adds nothing to gameplay if it's not a problem in the first place. The fact that, from where I'm standing, the majority of 360 games just pump out high res textures and bump maps without any regard for art direction just proves it. They are literally using the horsepower because it's there, rather than thinking about how to properly utilise it for good graphics i.e. with good art direction.

"More higher" was a typo.

[quote=Unite;839406]Whats wrong with trying out games?

Nothing if you're not going to use your lack of discernability to judge a system on, but you did.
There's 10 good Wii games, max. If you have 25+ then unless you're completely igorant you willingly bought crap ones and judged the controller on it. If you were willing to do that the odds of you picking up anything decent are even slimmer.

So grats on the 20+ crap games, try reading some reviews next time.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Speedfreak:
Nothing if you're not going to use your lack of discernability to judge a system on, but you did.
There's 10 good Wii games, max. If you have 25+ then unless you're completely igorant you willingly bought crap ones and judged the controller on it. If you were willing to do that the odds of you picking up anything decent are even slimmer.

So grats on the 20+ crap games, try reading some reviews next time.

umm i never said the games were bad , i said i didn't like the motion senors controlls. Dosen't matter how good the game is ssbb , smg , Zelda tp etc.

Posted by Speedfreak

I know you didn't, I am. There are not 25+ good games on Wii. You have bought a ot of very bad games.

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=mis0;839227]I'd only agree if all games that have great graphics were being sold on the basis that they have great graphics.

The way a lot of developers use of motion control, on the other hand, is just annoying; for example, Toy Home on the PS3 would be just as good if you could steer using an analogue stick. Using the sixaxis is less intuitive and it doesn't add anything to the gameplay. Steering a car by waving a controller around isn't the same as using a steering wheel. It's a stupid, and somewhat annoying gimmick.

You do realize motion sensing controllers have been around for ages right....and that they were used for car and various vehicle game right....Anyone seen The Wizard movie, that kid with the powerglove playing Rad Racer

We're talking about working motion controllers, though, Skipz. The Power Glove only worked for one game, and even then, the stars had to be properly aligned in order for the cosmic forces running the massive sensor bar to activate properly.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: I was asserting that they are a gimmick, as they add as much to gameplay as special highly detailed Chess add to the game of Chess when simple wooden peices suffice. It literally adds nothing to gameplay if it's not a problem in the first place. The fact that, from where I'm standing, the majority of 360 games just pump out high res textures and bump maps without any regard for art direction just proves it. They are literally using the horsepower because it's there, rather than thinking about how to properly utilise it for good graphics i.e. with good art direction.

From the sounds of it, art direction is as important as the gameplay itself; I disagree. The game could be fabulous even if it looks like any other pretty game out there, it just won't be as endearing.

Is "endearing" what you're looking for? 360 gamers don't really care about that.
:/

Posted by Ant

GIVE THEM A GAME WITH A GUN AND THEY'RE SET FOR LIFE!

Posted by Fate

It's easy to exaggerate, right?

Art direction isn't what makes a game good and neither are graphics.

Posted by Borealis

Microsoft hasn't denied anything, so clearly...

Posted by Ant

This thread reminds me of this quote, "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Posted by mis0

Quoting TimeSkipz: You do realize motion sensing controllers have been around for ages right....and that they were used for car and various vehicle game right....Anyone seen The Wizard movie, that kid with the powerglove playing Rad Racer

I think it'd be impossible to beat Rad Racer with the Power Glove. That game was hard enough using a d-pad.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;839758][COLOR=skyblue]From the sounds of it, art direction is as important as the gameplay itself; I disagree. The game could be fabulous even if it looks like any other pretty game out there, it just won't be as endearing.

Is "endearing" what you're looking for? 360 gamers don't really care about that.[/COLOR] :/

I was saying high res graphics are just as much of a gimmick as the Wii controller when you don't hav someone capable to do something with it. A decent artist is required to not make next-gen games look like plastic, a decent designer is required to make decent use of the controller.

Basically, paying all this extra money for "HD gaming" just flat-out isn't worth it when everything plays like a last-gen game and looks bloody awful most of the time.

Posted by Fate

What games are you talking about?

Posted by Speedfreak

Saints Row, game looks like Playmobile. Dead Rising looks very plain. Forza is laughably bad.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;840613]Saints Row, game looks like Playmobile. Dead Rising looks very plain. Forza is laughably bad.
You do realize these games were released at the beginning of the 360's lifecycle? Two years (almost three!) ago?

Quoting Speedfreak: Saints Row, game looks like Playmobile.

Hey, don't insult Playmobile like that! Hype: The Time Quest was awesome.

Posted by S

Quoting The X: You do realize these games were released at the beginning of the 360's lifecycle? Two years (almost three!) ago?

Just like everyone was dogging on Wii's game selection in it's early life span, and calling the Wiimote a gimmick. The analogy is fair. If that was true today as well, I'd be more worried about X-box's longevity than the Wii's for sure.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=S

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;840614]You do realize these games were released at the beginning of the 360's lifecycle? Two years (almost three!) ago?

Forza wasn't, wutfux. Just grab any crappy 360 game where the developers clearly haven't tried with the graphics, I mean that.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

You rag on developers for having fancy graphics for the sake of having fancy graphics. Then you rag on them for not having fancy graphics. DUDE

Posted by Fate

I'm not understanding the whole point of this, either. Graphics aren't gimmicky because it's more of a form of progression than anything else. And no, I don't see the Wii remote as a form of progression on anything other than a step in virtual reality (which I'm totally for) since I am okay with controls of other systems that don't require wacky movement and play games that are just as good, if not better.

Graphics don't matter, really. But if the gameplay is good, why the **** wouldn't you aim for prettier stuff?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;840699]You rag on developers for having fancy graphics for the sake of having fancy graphics. Then you rag on them for not having fancy graphics. DUDE

Your reading comprehension is shit. I'm criticising developers that use the graphical horsepower by slapping on as much effects as possible without any regard for how it actually looks, usually resulting in plastic-looking games. I said this like 2 posts ago very clearly.

Posted by nintendope

copy this:

Nintendo of America was ordered to pay $21 million to Anascape on Thursday, after the court found that Nintendo’s game controllers had infringed on Anascape’s technology.In July 2006, Anascape sued both Microsoft and Nintendo, alleging that several sensor patents used by the Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo game controllers violated the company’s patents. The suit also included a patent for a "remote controller with analog buttons."

According to the Associated Press , a Texas court found that Nintendo did indeed infringe the patents, and ordered the settlement payment. Microsoft and Anascape settled their dispute before the Nintendo ruling, the AP reported.

Nintendo said it would appeal.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Just like everyone was dogging on Wii's game selection in it's early life span, and calling the Wiimote a gimmick.

Xbox started getting some real good games at an even pace shortly before a year into it's life. Wii is far past that now and the only good third-party game to properly showcase the Wiimote as something more than a gimmick is zach and wiki. So it's deserved.

and lol at this whole graphics ****. Yeah, a lot of games on the 360 look like ****, but chances are they play like **** too, so just ignore them. Plus, that's the same for every console ever made. Fact of the matter is, for all those terrible looking and terrible playing games there's a whole bunch more that look good AND play good. So who ****ing cares? The Wii on the other hand... well I don't need to say anything in that regard.

Posted by Kit

It's official now. Microsoft's getting a company called Motus to make their version of the Wiimote. And apparently Sony has been talking to Motus about doing their version too.

They're also getting RARE to make an avatar system (or the Mii channel) for the 360 too.

They've made a prototype called the Newton, I'd post images or something but this is from a magazine, there's probably stuff out there though. There isn't any news about a nunchuk-type thing to go with it, and as far as I can see of the image provided it only has the D-Pad, one of the triggers, start and back buttons, one of the shoulder buttons, a player indicator light and the A button.

There'll probably be more at the next E3, but they want it to be released before the end of this year.

Posted by Zaith

I would just like to add that while the Wii-mote is a technological progression as are good game engines like the havok and unreal3. Graphics are an art form to help convey they idea of the game and the story I don't know anyone that goes oh pretty colors when going to by a game. A game doesn't have to look good at least to me for me to enjoy it I still play games from my xbox on my 360 just cause there fun. however having owned a wii and a 360 I rather just press a **** button then flail around like a ******* trying to get the wii mote to know what i'm doing. also would like to point out that Shane Kim did an interview and said there were not going to do motion controls.

Posted by Speedfreak

Well that was nonsensical!

Posted by Shade

I understood it. Maybe try reading.

Posted by Speedfreak

I meant bumping this thread for that post was nonsensical, since it was rambling that added little.

Posted by Zaith

how was it nonsensical I addressed issues that you guys were talking about the Graphics and Wii-mote.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoted post: Graphics are an art form to help convey they idea of the game and the story I don't know anyone that goes oh pretty colors when going to by a game.

lol

Quoting Zaith: I don't know anyone that goes oh pretty colors when going to by a game.

I know many people who do this. I run a video arcade. The thing is, they do it subconsciously. They might not come out and say "Ooo! That's shiny!" but that's one of the main reasons why they come into my store in the first place. They're distracted by the flashing lights and pretty colors.

Posted by Fate

Quarters aren't the same as $50+ games. :/

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm laughing at how he said graphics are an art form and are important to games and all that, and implies colour isn't important in the same sentence.

Fate: let's be honest, a lot games sell on graphics alone. if only because they imply quality everywhere else.

Posted by Shade

I'm pretty sure that by "oh pretty colours" he meant that people don't buy games based on graphics alone, not that colour isn't important.

Posted by Zaith

Thank you Shade What I'm trying to get across is that for certain games the fact that they have good graphics do make a difference when it comes to the story telling in displaying the emotions of the characters. I do understand the arcade thing but I've never blown $60 in an arcade on one game though.

Quoted post: Quarters aren't the same as $50+ games. :/

I've spent more than $50 on a single arcade machine many a time.

Posted by Fate

That's because you're a faggot.

Of course, I spend more on makeup so...

Posted by Zaith

Thats a bit rude just cause some one is more of a geek then most doesn't mean he should be mocked

Quoted post: That's because you're a faggot.

Of course, I spend more on makeup so...

Man, you're telling me you've never hung around a ****ty pizza shop dumping quarter after quarter into some lame arcade machine? You suck, buddy.

Quoted post:
Thats a bit rude just cause some one is more of a geek then most doesn't mean he should be mocked

**** you, pal

Posted by Zaith

No I have never spent that much Time at an arcade and I am proud to admit I'm a geek

Posted by Fate

Come on, Vamp, I had a rough childhood. The last thing I played in an arcade was some Tekken game.

Gross. I used to play this vertical scrolling shooter that I can't remember the name of. Ridiculously hard but addictive as ****. Good times...

Posted by Zaith

the last time I went to an arcade was when I went to New York

It's very satisfying to have a room full of arcade games that I can play whenever I want, that actually make money for me too. I wouldn't be able to play STUN Runner or Planet Harriers, or most of the games on my Ultracade cabinet if I didn't have this place. Sure, I have to have a bunch of games that I don't even care for because they make money for my store, but I can buy a weird Japanese import arcade board like Ibara, write it off as a business expense, and it'll make back the money I paid for it to boot. I keep my prices low, too, because I'm not really out to be rich from the place. I'm determined to work myself to death before retirement age, so I won't have to worry about it.

Posted by Zaith

Dude if I owned an arcade I would play the hell outta those games however I don't So i just gotta go with convenience, Plus there's no good arcades out where I am.