ACC overrated?

Posted by Darkbackward

Fox sport's Mike Decourcy [URL=http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/3348654]Acc Overrated[/URL]

He also says that they aint so bad. I agree with him, the acc is brutal.

But the fact is there are regionally biased analysts whose history with schools goes deep. And the Acc's murder of the Big Ten was nothing, given the fact that the Big Ten will have one of it's worst seasons in history.

So the acc sucks? No, not at all, but this goes to show you that AP polls and media coverage a good team does not make.

That job is for March.

Now, on to my big east point. They had 4 undefeated teams going into conference play, there is now one left. They beat Kansas, and pwned the acc 3-1 this season.

I hope that you all see my point for what it is: a counter point to the biased analysts who tell you what to think (or people, such as cloudstud). You CAN form your own opinion, and you CAN share it. And in the end, little girl's crying about how something is better than another thing without any real proof are nothing more than idiots.

Posted by Cloudstud

Hahaha ok wow you say that the Big East owned the acc..... (or in your words pwned.) Ok lets take a look at it. St johns beat v tech and nc state. Boston college (undefeated) beat the last team in the acc clemson. Wake forest beat providence woopdy doo. And thats how your base your opinion on the acc compared to the big east. The top three teams from each league didnt even play each other. You are confused. This is a very bad stat to base your opinion on. The big east DID NOT OWN ANYONE. IF you match up teams 1 against 1, 2 against 2 and so on the acc would win. I would put A LOT of money on it.

As for everyone having their own opinions please do. I dont care if you have your own opinion but im going to defend my own opinion. (in which this case is right.) Believe me i argue with people everyday about college basketball. My favorite team is duke and most of my friends are UNC fans so naturally there is a rivalry there. Honestly dark im not mad at you i dont hate you i like you. I like it when people have thier own opinions and argue with me.
If you think your right and you have evidence to support your argument im more than happy to hear it.

Last but not least come on dude you may want to rethink your picks before you fill out your bracket. Remember you had florida st in the elite 8 and you had gonzaga in the final four. Think hard and do your homework before you fill out that bracket.

Posted by Darkbackward

Florida St. had beaten a stellar wake forest team at the time, and gonzaga still has one of the best non conference win season of any team, period. At this time I would move florida st. out but I'm still keeping gonzaga, this team knows something when it comes to winning big games, and thats that they do it.

As far as the ACC is concerned: They don't have any undefeated teams, UNC has still not shown me final four material compared to a flawless illinois and boston college, and duke will have to make my mind up with a 1 loss season (which is darn near impossible).

I choose the big east because Syracuse, Boston College, Uconn, and Pittsburgh are all legitamite contenders. The ACC has 3 (which I think will be narrowed down to two by the end of february) contenders which can challenge. I'm not saying they can't go all the way, but if the 1+ over unc gets it handed to them by a doulbe digit margin, then there is something wrong there.

The big east has also beaten kansas, the best team in the big 12 (in which espn is NOW saying is as good as the acc).

Once again, however, I give you my point that the acc is a brutal conference, and they can produce a champion easily. But UNC and Wake Forest did not have the resolve that villanova did over kansas, syracuse did over rutgers, gonzaga did over oklahoma state, or illinois did over iowa. UNC has the best shot (and a real one) to get the title, but once they fight someone who is their equal or better (think illinois), can they pull it out? Well they've never been tested, and they still have two losses, all excuses left at the door where they belong.

I've said this a billion times before, but it's true. March tells no lies, and that is where we will find out who is the true bill.

Posted by Cloudstud

True that you make some good points. But the one you are most wrong about is gonzaga. I have gone for gonzaga alot in the past 5 or 6 years, and thats their downfall. Come tourney time its not about them winning big games its about them winning the games they are supposed to. For example, last year they lost to nevada. Everyone was saying "who are we gonna have after nevada". Their an unpredictable team but i just cant see them getting to the final four. But lets cross our fingers and see what happens.

As for the acc. There are teams in the acc that you have to be careful about. Obviously maryland. They just up set #2 and undefeated duke. Obviously they are a team that can upset. Never count out N.C. state although they have been a dissapointment this year, you still cant count them out. You have Duke, UNC, Wake, and even GT that can be feirce. Now you have to worry about Miami also they are not just a push over. Florida although proving that can win a big game dont really impress me. I think wake beat themselves that game. Kansas barely beat GT 70 to 68 and GT pulled of the upset at wake. So they prove they can be very affective.

The big east is good but, this is not from a favortism standpoint, i just dont think they have teams further down the list that can upset the big teams like the acc does. Obviously you have to worry about Syracuse and Uconn im not so sure about pitt anymore. But Boston College.... They have not played anyone worth a **** except for Uconn. And honestly uconn isnt the same team this year. Its hard to be good when you lose gordon and okafor. (ouch) But other than league play BC has had literally NO competition. They have a test against syracuse coming up but i think syr will win that one. BC still has ALOT to prove to me. They need more compitition out of their own league. Thats going to hurt them big time come tournament time and you know it dark.

But hey honestly its been great arguing and i still definitley agree with you about march telling the story. We can talk all the s*** we want but march is the only one with all the answeres. CANT WAIT!!!!!

Posted by SwampertMasta

Big East because they have Notre Dame no rank, Villanova no rank(Beat Kansas by alot), West Virginia, Boston College ranked 8, Connecticut ranked 16, Syracuse ranked 4 and Pittsburgh ranked 18

Posted by Axis

There both great conferences. But I think that the ACC is a little bit better. Just a little.

Posted by Cloudstud

Where you at now dark. Looks like the big east cant hold their own against the best in the acc. Uconn falls to a strong UNC team. Uconn seems to be crumbling, they just survived a double overtime win over providence. The big east is looking more mediocore than anything. Alot of ok teams. The acc is looking ever so powerful with UNC Wake and Duke and now you have maryland proving they can play with the big boys by sweeping duke. The big east has alot more average teams and might even put more teams in the tourney. But when you talk about who is gonna bring the championship home you have to go with the acc.

Posted by Darkbackward

Uconn, a mid rate big east team fell by 7 points to your top contender.

Can I say it again, or do you get the picture?

I'm not denying talent in the acc, it's there and thriving. I'm not denying national title hopes, it' sthere and thriving.

But please, the world is much bigger than the acc nowadays. Arizona's salim stoudemire is better than reddick, Illinois is the UNDISPUTED number 1 team, and boston college only has one loss.

Once again, this does not mean that the acc can't take it home. I'm giving equal hopes to that conference as I am with the wcc, big east, and big ten (illinois only).

However, people like you and several other "analysts" think that it will not be a fight for the acc, that far and away the best conference is the acc. I was listening to an announcer last night who said the acc was number 1 with 4 conferences trailing behind and good in any order you wanted to put them in (big east, big 12, sec, conf usa).

I know you are NOT an idiot, the big east and big 12 are clearly better than the sec and conf usa, but this man had a southern accent, and he didn't even acknowledge the pac 10 vs. standings (currently at number 2) or the best team in america's conference (big 10).

Most of this stuff is based on biased journalists hoping to spread filth. We see the same things happening with games.

I liken the acc hype with fable hype. "It will be the best rpg ever made" "It will be better than morrowind" "The future of games". Was fable good? Yea, .... good, but not nearly as good as the hype predicted.

Again, the ACC can take it home, and your conference is showing it's toughness with the likes of virginia tech and miami *cough* two of the worst big east losers in the history of the conference *cough* and georgia tech and maryland pulling their stripes together and fighting off perenial favorites. It looks like now that UNC will take the ACC and get a number 1 bid and probably go the four with a high probability of wake forest or duke or another team bein gthere as well!

But, in terms of depth and fighting spirit, the big east has the advantage. Coach K is unrivaled as the best coach of his era, but roy williams has nary the stripes of Jimmy Calhoun, Jimmy Boeheim, OR Boston's finest is showing (they should be number 2, not unc, you know that). Can he be? yes, he could be the greatest of all time. And, the acc could send four teams to the final four.

But in the End, I give it to villanova, who were the first to beat kansas, I give it to boston college who have shown nothing but heart as they only have one loss, I give it to Georgetown, and UConn, and Pittsburgh, and Syracuse, and Notre Dame, I give it to the fact that in the last 5 years there has not been a better conference in all of college basketball (men and womens) and I give it to the resolve that big east teams manage to have.

Yet, there will be talk, the big east is over, done, no more championships, but in the end, people don't matter, espn doesn't matter, you don't matter, I don't matter, God ALWAYS matters, but march matters. And in the end, the last team, regardless of 65th or 1st holds up a trophy, they are the best college basketball team in the nation, there are NO flukes, there are NO mistakes, but merely the best basketball team wins, that is the beginning and the end of the matter, and the case is closed.

Posted by Cloudstud

Spoken very well. Most of all you said makes great sense. Your right acc is strong and so is the big east. I actually see the big east sending more teams to the tourney. But i see more teams that can win the title in the acc. Honestly BC has only lost one and your right they have showed alot of heart. They defied the odds, no one would have put money on them going that far without a loss not me not you. So yes props to BC for doing a hell of a job this year. And i also want to give Notre Dame some props. I think they have shown some true heart this year. But im overall dissapointed with the play of Uconn and Syracuse. They are supposed to be the heart of the B.E. but have kinda come up short.

As for UNC being the best team in the ACC i would look again. Duke and Wake have both beat them and duke plays them again before the year is up. So its pretty hard to say right now which one of those three are the best. Duke recently beat wake so its pretty hard to say.

As for illinois.... Yes undefeated. Good enough to go all the way, nope. A couple of reasons. No strength of schedule. They havnt been playing teams that can win this year. They arent playing the big east or the acc. Its gonna be rough for illinois in the tourney. They are going to struggle when the sweet 16 hits and especially if they make it to the elite 8. I dont see them getting much further than that. Know you know i have my own opinions. Show me one person that is doubting illinois right now other than me. That opinion is mine and mine alone.

As for the best team always winning there you are wrong. Yes they are labeled as the best team but honestly its rare in college basketball for the BEST team to win. They are the team that won when they had to but are usually not the best. It doesnt happen much in the NBA or MLB but look in the NFL. Take Pitt at NY jets for example. If you truly believe that Pitt was better than somthing is wrong. NY played a much better game and left it up to their kicker. He missed to big kicks in the last like 2 minutes of the game. Bad luck, gust of wind, pressure, whatever you want to call it, it happened. But NY was the better team but they lost. It happens.

But i do want to say i have had a blast arguing with you, and i do appoligize for kinda getting out of hand a couple of times. I dont want to cause any trouble i want to keep this a friendly argument. I cant wait to be right but until then i will just keep my fingers crossed. But like you said march will tell. And thats coming right up!!!! Keep in touch my friend.

Posted by Darkbackward

Quoting Cloudstud: Spoken very well. Most of all you said makes great sense. Your right acc is strong and so is the big east. I actually see the big east sending more teams to the tourney. But i see more teams that can win the title in the acc. Honestly BC has only lost one and your right they have showed alot of heart. They defied the odds, no one would have put money on them going that far without a loss not me not you. So yes props to BC for doing a hell of a job this year. And i also want to give Notre Dame some props. I think they have shown some true heart this year. But im overall dissapointed with the play of Uconn and Syracuse. They are supposed to be the heart of the B.E. but have kinda come up short.

As for UNC being the best team in the ACC i would look again. Duke and Wake have both beat them and duke plays them again before the year is up. So its pretty hard to say right now which one of those three are the best. Duke recently beat wake so its pretty hard to say.

As for illinois.... Yes undefeated. Good enough to go all the way, nope. A couple of reasons. No strength of schedule. They havnt been playing teams that can win this year. They arent playing the big east or the acc. Its gonna be rough for illinois in the tourney. They are going to struggle when the sweet 16 hits and especially if they make it to the elite 8. I dont see them getting much further than that. Know you know i have my own opinions. Show me one person that is doubting illinois right now other than me. That opinion is mine and mine alone.

As for the best team always winning there you are wrong. Yes they are labeled as the best team but honestly its rare in college basketball for the BEST team to win. They are the team that won when they had to but are usually not the best. It doesnt happen much in the NBA or MLB but look in the NFL. Take Pitt at NY jets for example. If you truly believe that Pitt was better than somthing is wrong. NY played a much better game and left it up to their kicker. He missed to big kicks in the last like 2 minutes of the game. Bad luck, gust of wind, pressure, whatever you want to call it, it happened. But NY was the better team but they lost. It happens.

I respectfully disagree with you, cloudstud. My first point, which is about boston college has been lost in 3 losses this year, making unc the clear number 2 in the country. Something which I attribute to the big east and unc for being so good.

Secondly, Syracuse has faltered against 5 great teams. What gets lost is Syracuse's wins over villanova and memphis and missippi state and their sweep of notre dame. I myself am dissapoitned with Syracuse's performance but I still see them doing things because of the way they won against rutgers and villlanova. If gerry can just be more consistent you have to admitm that syracuse will be good come tourney time. Uconn, on the other hand, has been dog spit, but they lost their two best players, and are only now starting to find their rhythmn, if they were to win the big east tournament, I would only suspect Jim Calhoun to make it to the final four, his team now knows what it wants.

The illinois have had to play in the big ten. This conference, while clearly not as strong as the acc or the big east, is still very strong. You forget that Illini trounced both wisconsin and michigan st. at home. Something that no team anywhere in college basketbal would say would be easy. Secondly, they have beaten cincinnatti, gonzaga, and wake forest. If that's not elite, then what is. The fact is, Illinois has only been tested once (by iowa, a team now stripped of talent) and Illinois has the keys to a puzzle that could unlock a championship. I really don't apreciate your comments on Illinois, they have a very impressive schedule, moreso than UNC's non conference schedule, and very close to UNC's schedule all around. UNC has 3 losses, if they had only two or one, then yea, talk of UNC being the best team might arise. But if UNC isn't the best team in the ACC, and illinois beat the best team in the acc (wake forest) then that makes Illinois all the more stronger. This illinois team is for real, and if they don't make it to the final four, it would be the biggest shock this season, ILLINOIS IS DARN GOOD. As far as people doubting illinois, I'm going to start with espn's commentary lineup of around the horn and pti. Some guy on pti had illinois finishing 5th in the tourament. And I've heard early round losses from all the "experts". This opinion is held solely on the basis that the big ten is a horrible conference (even though it is top 5 in nation) and that illinois has beaten no one (despite trouncing wake forest, gonzaga, duke, etc.). Yea, I've heard this before.

I respect your opinion, but teams EARN their victories. The steelers had a more productive day offensively and defensively, I mean, you said the Jets were so much better when statistically they had nothing on the jets, so really, the steelers were the best team in that respect. Yes, the Jets missed two field goal attempts to win the game, and pittsburg came through. But they didnt' have a kicker who could kick at a rival's stadium. Something you need to understand is that every part of the game (the players, coaches, trainers, location, weather, etc.) factor in. And if one part of that goes against you and you are playing a good team, you will probably be beaten. If the Jets didn't have a kicker who could nail kicks, then that is a reflection on the entire organization. That is like giving credit to players and anti credit to players for winning and losing, it's a team game. The Steelers were better, because they had that integral piece to do the job. The jets didn't have a decent kicker who didn't bring his game, it's all fair game. The same happens when people miss shots. West Virginia caught a wake up call in the big east, they were facing tremendous rebounding and blocking teams that could beat their style of gameplay (arc shooting), it took a while, but eventually west virginia adapted to a more big east style of gampeplay, and are now tearing their way through the big east and making strong case for tournament bid.
Games are won solely by the opposing team, mistakes that are capitalized upon are a part of every good teams plan. Sometimes, stuff happens, a shot should've went in, a call should've gone the other way. But have you ever stopped to think that in the early stages of the game, the opposing team might've fouled the other team countless times and not been called? Or maybe had a ton of open shot voodoo rim outs? The best teams don't lose, they win, and if they are beaten, they are not as good as the team that beat them (rectified if tournament or double matchup win).

The Steelers WERE better than the jets.
The wildcats WERE better than the jayhawks.
The blue devils WERE better than the tar heels.
Fact, no alternate opinion accepted.