Smash Experts Discuss Brawl

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Well, this is actually pretty interesting. I'm not interested in the tournament scene a great deal, but I think 'tourneyfags' get a lot of bad press in the gaming community. 1UP's just posted a 3-part interview with three of the United States' top Melee players, who discuss the changes made in Super Smash Bros Brawl and how it'll mix up the competitive face of the game. Check it out:

[URL]http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167202[/URL]

Posted by Ant

interesting interview. And that thing about the grabs is pretty true :/ Peach's used to be a kill as low as 80%, now...eh. I just use it to surprise people or attempt to combo. Only people I try to actively grab with are olimar, ddd, metaknight, kirby, pika, sonic, and maybe ness.

Posted by Alastor

Bleh, videos were running like **** on my computer. Farthest I got was where one of them said it went from rock-paper-scissors to rock-scissors. Kinda giggled and just quit. Needs more YouTube. :(

Posted by Ant

gamevideos sucks for me too! THAT'S WHY I WENT TO YOUTUBE!

Posted by Alastor

I didn't look on YouTube that hard. Figured I'd do it later if I got bored enough.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Anything I'd like to say was said much better by hugs and gimpy. The one thing I got from this though was that grabs are not even an optional thing to do in this game really, with the way every person ****ing floats and **** :(

edit : This made me lol at some points. Thanks X, I wouldn't have found this on my own. Always great hearing from great players talk on their experiences with this series. Hugs was always a nice guy from what I remember, and I never met Gimpyfish which I should change, I do believe he's in NY. They made a few interesting points. Everything relating to this game, I met everyone face to face and I'd make new friends by inviting people to play, or being invited to play. All in all it was always an exciting experience. From my own experiences, there are very very very few people that go to these tournaments and don't have fun unless they win, everyone else seems to have a blast even when they lose. I used to enjoy it myself just to see how well I could do and see how far I could make it. This video just made me realize though how friendly most of these people are and how helpful they try to be when you ask them for help.

I still remember when I lost to Dave and got eliminated at a tournament, I think I scored 13th or 9th, it was a falco vs falco, and Dave was always 2 steps ahead of me. I was so nervous playing him since everything I always read was that he was the person that formed what falco's played like years after his supremacy. After I lost, I asked him what I was doing wrong and how he was so fast. He gladly took his time with me until his next match and guided me through my errors, and told me how to sharpen my playing. It helped, the next tournament was much fiercer and I was still able to retain a similar spot in the rankings for NY. Man I should totally man up and take my game to the next brawl tourny nearby just to see where I stand! Thanks again X!

Posted by Mystic Hero

You know that point about Game & Watch being potentially awesome I must agree with. I never actually played Game & Watch until I tried him out on wifi and they gave him some real nice buffs in his performance. He is a character that if you spend enough time with you could be very good at using.

Posted by Ant

Yeah, after watching this I gave G&W a whirl and I can now see how much of a powerhouse the guy can be. And I have to agree that Olimar is probably one of the best right now. TOP TIER LOL!!!

Posted by ccrocker58

Hmmm...I don't know about what they said about Olimar having no air game...most of the videos that I've watched his Fair and Bair are used quite a bit. As for his grapple recovery...well all grapples in this game have taken a hit since none attatch to the stages anymore. I dunno, he's my main in Brawl and I've never had any problems.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I have a feeling that by air game, they may mean the options he has to attack when he's being juggled. If someone is on the offense, I think olimar in mid-air has problems defending himself until he hits the ground. Air game as well could mean his combo ability with air attacks, I think back and forward air are used to whack the opponent away, but I don't think he's able to chain those moves into more moves to continue a monster combo. I think from fighting an olimar, its mostly chucking and luring, then grabbing and smashing, big grab range and big smash range.

Air Combo's didn't hit me unless it was up air attacks, but that only happened once, so it couldn't have been olimars strong point. I found it easier to attack olimar while he was in mid air, seems he has few options until he's on the ground again which by then is his strong point. etc I think thats what they meant at least

Posted by Ant

Although all of his air moves are ****ing strong as all gay hell.

Posted by O.T.L

I loved what Gimpyfish said at the end of the 3rd video, that people have fun going and competing in tournaments, and that people have fun playing with no items and stuff ,and in my case FD no items , i have fun there .. i know that i have to be considerate to others and not only pic FD all the time , but lets all have fun :)

Posted by ccrocker58

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: ...If someone is on the offense, I think olimar in mid-air has problems defending himself until he hits the ground...

I suppose that's true enough; I did forget their short range and low priority.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I think because of his range, the priority may not seem noticeable, but I think he has some decent priority, but again, he has some weird range with his moves. I think characters with dislocated hitboxes can't hit through a lot of things he may try mid air. I'm not too positive yet.

Posted by Borealis

I saw this almost a nearly two months ago, and found it very interesting...yep.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=oswaldothelegend;842347] people have fun playing with no items and stuff ,and in my case FD no items ,Final Destination only? Seriously?

Posted by Alastor

[quote=The X]Final Destination only? Seriously?

You haven't actually played with oswaldo yet, have you? :link:

Posted by O.T.L

Quoting Alastor: You haven't actually played with oswaldo yet, have you? :link:

:D nope