If you like Dimmu Borgir you suck

Posted by Hyperactive Poster

I was talking to someone, and he was like, "These guys aer leik teh realz black metal, tehy define it!!!!"

I listened to it, and all I heard was commercial garbage.

Therefor, If you like Dimmu Borgir you suck.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Omni: I was talking to someone, and he was like, "These guys aer leik teh realz black metal, tehy define it!!!!"

More accurately, they define how to suck.

Posted by oxpecker123

yeah they suck the band Venom defined Black metal

The best black metal band is................................

Living Coulor

Posted by Omni

Venom didn't define black metal. They just gave it the name and had a little bit to do with what it sounded like.

Posted by Dexter

I used to listen to them a lot more but not so much these days. Still, I don't mind them all that much. I like teh Cradle more.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Cradle Of Filth is basically a Gothic Metal band, fronted by a dude who sounds like that old witch lady on Power Rangers.

What more needs to be said than THAT?

Posted by Omni

I don't dislike either of them any more than the other. I just don't like either of them at all.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Hyperactive Poster: I listened to it, and all I heard was commercial garbage.

Wrong. For All Tid, Stormblast (original) and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant are FAR from "commercial garbage". They band has gone on record saying they intentionally became more accessible (hence the involvement of Nicolas Barker for a few albums) but those albums were before that period and they're great.

My biggest bitch about Dimmu is Shagrath's constant attempt to sound like Abbath, which is funny because you can hear how much better Abbath is on the song "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse". Also, they really aren't black metal after a certain point in their career, but they are more influenced by black metal than bands such as Cradle of Filth. Still, they're not the worst thing to have as a popular band, as it's not like they're really muzak.

Quoting oxpecker123: yeah they suck the band Venom defined Black metal

Venom did name it, sorta. They at least are the first on record for coming up with the term. If you're looking for the first band with the modern black metal sound, get some Bathory which was in no way influenced by Venom - rather by punk bands such as GBH (who happen to sound like Venom).

Posted by Omni

Quoting Shin-Ra: Venom did name it, sorta.

Yeah, this is kind of like how Steppenwolf isn't a heavy metal band, but they used the term heavy metal in one of their songs and it became associated with similar sounding music. Both bands influenced the genres, to an extent, and were where the names came from.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Wrong. For All Tid, Stormblast (original) and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant are FAR from "commercial garbage". They band has gone on record saying they intentionally became more accessible (hence the involvement of Nicolas Barker for a few albums) but those albums were before that period and they're great.

Heck yeah, dude. People always badmouth dimmu and sure the deserve it. But you can't totally ignore their first few albums. In my opinion there's absolutely nothing wrong with them and they're fairly enjoyable!

PS venom is terrible

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Omni: Yeah, this is kind of like how Steppenwolf isn't a heavy metal band, but they used the term heavy metal in one of their songs and it became associated with similar sounding music. Both bands influenced the genres, to an extent, and were where the names came from.

And Mercyful Fate, except only because King Diamond sorta wore corpse paint, and played metal, but not even similar-sounding metal.

Posted by Omni

Mercyful Fate didn't invent the phrase "black metal" like Venom did, and they actually used growling vocals, unlike Venom.

Posted by #061402

Isn't it against the rules to say such?

Posted by Inferno

Quoting Shin-Ra: Wrong. For All Tid, Stormblast (original) and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant are FAR from "commercial garbage". They band has gone on record saying they intentionally became more accessible (hence the involvement of Nicolas Barker for a few albums) but those albums were before that period and they're great.

My biggest bitch about Dimmu is Shagrath's constant attempt to sound like Abbath, which is funny because you can hear how much better Abbath is on the song "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse". Also, they really aren't black metal after a certain point in their career, but they are more influenced by black metal than bands such as Cradle of Filth. Still, they're not the worst thing to have as a popular band, as it's not like they're really muzak.

Venom did name it, sorta. They at least are the first on record for coming up with the term. If you're looking for the first band with the modern black metal sound, get some Bathory which was in no way influenced by Venom - rather by punk bands such as GBH (who happen to sound like Venom).

You took the thoughts right out of my head. I love Dimmu Borgir and I hate how everyone seems to have some problem with them because they sound more produced than other metal bands. Their early works are definitely fantastic raw black metal. And while the later albums are definitely more clean they are still very entertaining to listen to.

Frankly, I really hate the overall "pure metalhead" attitude that a lot of people seem to have. If something isn't from a band that helped form the genre or doesn't sound like it was recorded in a toolshed it automatically becomes metal for the masses and is garbage. I don't get it. Go ahead and choose your favorite band, genre of music, and whatnot but to write off bands just because they had a little bit more money to throw into their art is just ignorant.

Hell, I'm even going to go so far as to stick up for "commercial garbage." How else is anyone supposed to get into metal. If it wasn't for Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia I would have never taken the time to explore the metal genre in the first place. I didn't just wake up one day and start listening to black metal. I heard the more accessible stuff like Dimmu, decided to explore a little bit, and I'm still digging today. Chance are that's what happened with a large majority of metal fans. I do agree that Dimmu doesn't define the black metal genre as a whole but if someone decides to stop exploring there for a while then that's their choice. Dimmu Borgir produces incredible music just on a different accessibility level than other bands and if that doesn't fit your liking go listen to something else and get over yourself.

Quoted post: I love Dimmu Borgir and I hate how everyone seems to have some problem with them because they sound more produced than other metal bands.

Production isn't the problem. Some of the best bands these days have crystal clear production (watain, deathspell,) it's just that Dimmu's newer albums kinda suck. I mean, the Stormblast remake was abysmal.

Posted by Omni

I don't mind their earliest work, but I'm not a fan of the style so I don't listen to it.

They changed production values and also made their style of playing and overall aesthetic more simplistic and palatable to appeal to a bigger audience. Oh, and I really dislike Shagrath's vocals. I'd say the only good thing about their recent music is that Hellhammer played drums on one of their albums.

Posted by Inferno

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Production isn't the problem. Some of the best bands these days have crystal clear production (watain, deathspell,) it's just that Dimmu's newer albums kinda suck. I mean, the Stormblast remake was abysmal.

And I agree. I really wasn't impressed with their new albums. It just seemed to be more of the same and I didn't really hear anything unique and interesting. If it wasn't for the drummer I probably would have turned it off just because it was boring and I'd heard most of it before. But for the people who haven't listened to it I can understand why they would like it. It just annoys me how everyone turns down an album just because it's commercialized without explaining why that makes it bad.

My rant started because of an argument I had with a black metal fan. Apparently to him, Burzum, Mayhem and Bathory are the best black metal bands on the planet. They formed the genre and that's why they're awesome. End of story. Everything else is just a rip-off mainstreamed toward people who don't know metal. Therefore, all other new age black metal bands suck. I hate that mentality. He just had this arrogant attitude. I tried to get him to elaborate but he couldn't. The only opinion he had was that it all just sucked. I'm guessing he read on some forum somewhere that its not cool to like mainstreamish metal bands.

Quoting Omni:
I don't mind their earliest work, but I'm not a fan of the style so I don't listen to it.

They changed production values and also made their style of playing and overall aesthetic more simplistic and palatable to appeal to a bigger audience. Oh, and I really dislike Shagrath's vocals. I'd say the only good thing about their recent music is that Hellhammer played drums on one of their albums.

There we go. Thank you for elaborating on your opinion.

Quoted post:
My rant started because of an argument I had with a black metal fan. Apparently to him, Burzum, Mayhem and Bathory are the best black metal bands on the planet. They formed the genre and that's why they're awesome. End of story. Everything else is just a rip-off mainstreamed toward people who don't know metal. Therefore, all other new age black metal bands suck. I hate that mentality. He just had this arrogant attitude. I tried to get him to elaborate but he couldn't. The only opinion he had was that it all just sucked. I'm guessing he read on some forum somewhere that its not cool to like mainstreamish metal bands.

That's why you ignore those people.

Posted by Panic!

Oh shi-

I suck :(

Posted by Philsdad

I don't listen to Dimmu Borgir much these days (or metal at all for that matter) but I can't deny what a huge gateway band they were for me. It was because of them that I was able to discover black metal at all. They were a gateway band for a lot of people I know actually, they deserve some credit for that.

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Inferno;855112]-its not cool to like mainstreamish metal bands.
Wait wha-

So it's not cool..
****.. *throws Midian into the fireplace*

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

I don't know much Dimmu, except a few Death Cult Armageddon and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant songs, something I heard a few years back from For All Tid and Stormblast, and Mourning Palace, which Philsdad introduced me to almost 9 years back. And while I don't think much of it necessarily sounds BAD, the older stuff I heard, is the stuff that's more likely to be stuck in my head afterwards. The other stuff just gets fairly boring after 2-3 minutes and is more forgettable, aside from "Puritania", which is catchy as all hell.

Posted by Empty_Void

Hmm Dimmu kinda got pretty sucky pretty quick; however their lyrics are very well written and contain alot of decent imagery. Shagrath's vocals are.... well different, it depends on what sought of a beat he is screaching too. For example, Mourning Palace I liked because of the way he brought the pain (whatever pain that was) out through his vocals. But if you want pain there are bands that are alot better then Dimmu, like Silencer, I cant believe the lead singer of that band muttilated his hand to sound like that (but it sounds good anyway).

In conclusion Dimmu Borgir are pretty sucky, especially nowadays.

Quoted post: like Silencer, I cant believe the lead singer of that band muttilated his hand to sound like that (but it sounds good anyway).

In before ****storm.

Posted by Omni

Nattramn of Silencer didn't mutilate his hands. There's pictures of him posing with fake blood and bandages while holding bones in his bandaged hands, though. I also definitely don't like his vocals.

Posted by Empty_Void

I like his vocals because of the pain he releases, but I still prefer bands like Shining and Nyktalgia.

Posted by Omni

Both of those bands are much cooler than Silencer in my opinion. :)

Posted by Kutlass

Yeah Dimmu Borgir is pretty much a joke, but so is black metal, so it's like a joke falling way short of defining a joke.

Posted by Empty_Void

Quoting Omni: Both of those bands are much cooler than Silencer in my opinion. :)

Yeah definantly, I still like Silencer though, good on rare occasions. Shinings definantly the one that comes out on top of all the bands previously mentioned in this post, have you seen them live? The lead singer is so **** awesome :)

Posted by Caer Death

There's so many anti-Dimmu sentiments. I never listened to the Stormblast remake, nor do I really want to, but The Chosen Legacy has some of the fastest drumming available. Hell, Hellhammer and Vortex are awesome band members. I liked Arcturus better, personally, considering both of them fronted it at the end, but I saw Dimmu Borgir... four days... 4-20-2007, four days after Arcturus broke up.

Also, English people probably should stay away from black metal. Anyone who thinks Dimmu Borgir is a joke, at least they have Norwegian Black Metal roots, Cradle of Filth... they spew Britishness, which emits a disgusting odor when under the guise of black metal. No, they're just much too theatrical for their own good. As far as black metal goes, I still think Emperor reigns superior. You really have to stay in the Scandinavian region.

Posted by Omni

Haha, wow. Members of a good band being in a really mediocre or terrible band doesn't redeem that band whatsoever if those members aren't a major force in the music. Shagrath and Galder are the primary songwriters, musicians who had nothing to do with Arcturus and don't make music remotely similar, even when Hellhammer and Vortex are involved. Sure, Vortex is a good singer and Hellhammer is a good drummer, but it's not like there aren't singers or drummers as good that are in bands that don't suck. Hellhammer is in like 20 bands anyway. It's not like newer Dimmu Borgir contains much similar to the experimentation or original kind of songwriting and recording that was found in Arcturus, and Arcturus was also better when Rygg was the vocalist, and he's the reason why they ever became so radically experimental.

...and further wow at you thinking that Cradle of Filth represents black metal outside of Norway. Just so you know, black metal didn't start in Norway, or anywhere in Scandinavia, and attempting to dismiss bands from other places based on the existence of a terrible goth band is ridiculous.

Also, Richaod's rep is totally wrong, since Wolves in the Throne Room sounds more like Weakling, which is considered one of the more definitive USBM bands because of the distinct influence of obviously American styles of music like no wave on their music, than they sound like any other band in the genre. They also modeled their logo after the Weakling logo, and wear Weakling shirts a lot in concert.

tl;dr version: lol

Hahaha, wow. Beyond what Omni said, Norway is a pretty weak country these days when it comes to Black Metal. You're going to miss a lot of great music if you stick to just that region.

Also, Wolves sounds a lot like USBM to me, idk

Posted by Richaod

disregard me, I generalized (wrongly)

Posted by Caer Death

I'm sorry I mislead people into believing that I only listen to Scandinavian stuff exclusively. Nor did I ever imply that black metal originated in Norway or that region. There are people that'll argue that Venom invented it, but really, it doesn't have a lot of the same elements. Sure, it's raw, reminds me a bit of Mayhem or something like that, but other than that, and the phrase, it doesn't strike me as black metal. And my gripe with Cradle isn't their nationality so much as how over the top they want to go. I actually got my little brother into them many years ago, and he's the family expert on that band. No complaints, I just don't listen to them myself other than maybe a song or two every few months.

I don't think Dimmu is spectacular, by any means, and a lot of that has to do with the song writing, not the members. Isn't Gladur also in Old Man's Child? They sound quite similar. That's why I mentioned the part of Dimmu that I really like, who unfortunately, will not be a band anymore. Shed a tear of the fallen star, Arcturus, won't you? Now that you mention it, I should listen to some of his other music again someday.

But my main point, I guess, is that the gold standard in my eyes (probably not for most of you), is Emperor. Emperor's first album IS Norwegian black metal at it's finest, and then the epic edge they added into the second album was the perfect evolution, in my opinion. It's hard for bands outside of that region to make such raw, yet almost catchy music. As far as American music goes, I like Together We're Satan's Militia, but that has a lot to do with the fact that my little brother is the drummer. ;)

When I look for music outside of that region, I'm usually not looking for the same kind, like I like German industrial stuff too, like Hanzel Und Gretyl... I'll wait for someone to call me on that. :P

...ohh yeah, and gotta add dumb poser onto everything. ^.^

Posted by Omni

Yeah, your comment that Venom doesn't sound like black metal is invalid, since they were definitely the first band that played a style of music which was called that, and Bathory, which was the first black metal band that played music with more common ground to the bands from Norway and other more modern black metal bands, was definitely influenced by their music even though Quorthon originally lied and claimed that he didn't know them. Quorthon nearly plagiarized "Don't Burn the Witch" for the song "Born for Burning" on his second album.

If anything, later bands don't sound much like black metal if we're going to play this game, but it's actually because genres of music tend to become more refined and expanded over time.

I'd probably say that Burzum is probably the best black metal band from Norway, and definitely the most important band from the region in the evolution of the genre as a whole, and probably the first one to really master the use of minimalism and incorporation of things like ambient music into black metal.

Emperor's first stuff is okay, but I can't think of any reason why they stand out aside from incorporating some relatively simple symphonic parts into their music, which really has nothing to do with what black metal as a whole is about anyway.

Posted by kinderwords

Doesnt dimmu have the fastest drum off soloist for 4 years straight? and an opera singer?

Posted by Omni

Dimmu Borgir doesn't have the fastest drummer in anything aside from popular metal.

I don't know how you can consider Emperor as the gold standard...

Posted by Synth2012

Quoting Caer Death:

When I look for music outside of that region, I'm usually not looking for the same kind, like I like German industrial stuff too, like Hanzel Und Gretyl... I'll wait for someone to call me on that. :P

Hey they aren't teh German you dumb poser!

(Sorry Corey I waited long enough. I had to.)

Posted by Dr. Rockso

Saw them with Danzig in Montreal, thought they were good but nothing they did had me saying "WOW THESE GUYS ****ING ROCK."

Playing with Danzig pretty much sums it up.

Posted by Caer Death

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I don't know how you can consider Emperor as the gold standard...

And that's probably where we differ. If you don't think Emperor rules, then you're probably coming at it from another angle.

And Venom doesn't play Norwegian Black Metal, being what I'm talking about. Norway didn't really pick up the whole scene and make it's own until 5 years later, really. But I'm not one to nitpick genres. And things like later Emperor, and definitely Dimmu Borgir shouldn't be blindly placed under the same umbrella, but in any case, they are what they are. More than any of that stuff, though, I've been listening to local music lately. If there were anyone here who would even know any of it, it would be something worth mentioning, otherwise...

Early Dimmu and Emperor have a lot in common. Definitely under the same umbrella.

Anyways, Venom is considered to be in the first wave of black metal bands, that can't be disputed. Both "Black Metal" and "Bathory" were released within a couple years and both are, essentially, black/thrash albums. And let's face it, neither album sounds all that similar to today's black metal, just like every genre sounds very different from its conception. Doesn't make a difference though.

Posted by Omni

Quoting Caer Death: Venom doesn't play Norwegian Black Metal, being what I'm talking about.

Maybe you should have actually said that earlier. It would be pretty weird for an English band to play Norwegian black metal anyway, so this is a retarded thing to even bring up.

Oh, and you really didn't say what you just said now in your earlier posts at all. You said this:

Quoting Caer Death: There are people that'll argue that Venom invented it, but really, it doesn't have a lot of the same elements. Sure, it's raw, reminds me a bit of Mayhem or something like that, but other than that, and the phrase, it doesn't strike me as black metal.