How do you play?

Posted by Alastor

Which control scheme do you use for Brawl?

Though I don't really mind the Wiimote+Nunchuck controls as much as I thought I would, I still stick with the GameCube controller. I'm too used to using the C-Stick to play competitively with anything else.

Posted by Iris

Gamecube only! Though I need to buy a new controller. My C-stick only works about 70% of the time.

Posted by Degeneration

They forced us to use the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo at the Gamestop tournament, so I did get the hang of it there. But now that I have the choice, I don't use anything besides the Gamecube controller enough to say that I alternate.

Actually, I haven't even tried using my Classic yet. It just seems like it would be a waste of battery life.

Posted by Stalolin

gamecube

Posted by Alastor

Classic looks really uncomfortable to me. SNES with joysticks. I've never actually used one, but I don't plan on buying one unless it's required for a Virtual Console game.

btw Iris, I think the c-stick thing is normal. I have a brand new controller that I bought specifically for Brawl, and sometimes the c-stick seems a tad unresponsive. It's like it's calibrated differently than it was in Melee.

Posted by Iris

Oh, that's good news then. Well, not really. Can't get over how many times I got hit because I just stood still instead of upsmashing. :mad:

Anyways, classic really is uncomfortable. Taunt keys where the directional pad used to be = ew. Jump key to the upper-left of attack = another ew.

Posted by Panic!

I use a GameCube controller.

I wanna buy a Wii Classic controller, not only for Brawl but for anything else I get in the future that's uncomfortable with the Wii remote. I plan on downloading some old Sonic games from the Wii Shop Channel and I dunno how that's gonna work with a Wii remote.

Posted by Alastor

Just hold it sideways. 1 and 2 serve as A and B buttons. Though some controllers don't work with certain VC titles, and sometimes the GameCube controls are just wacky. The GameCube controls for Contra III are horrible.

Posted by Ant

I've only really played with the GameCube controller. I've tried just the wiimote and I did pretty okay considering. But I'll always play seriously with just the gamecube controller.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Never played with anything except a Cube pad, and I never intend to do otherwise.

Posted by Alastor

Wiimote and Nunchuck isn't that bad, as I said earlier. It's the only other one I'd consider playing competitively with. Once you get used to it, it's not as horrible as it seems. Had to use it for the tournament.

Posted by protomanEXE

i like the gamecube controller but i dont like to use the c stick cuz it is kinda cheap

Posted by Alastor

Not really. If it helps you play more effectively, go for it.

Posted by protomanEXE

ya i guess but i dont really find it to be skillful but thats just my opinion

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

c stick is just another option for attacking, almost a staple for a lot of people. Takes out the accidental charge in a smash attack as well. Lets you direction up air attacks without accidentally jumping from your joystick (not with controller customization thanks in brawl, but in melee it was a mass staple for air attacks), it also allows for easier air attacks while going up from your jump. Much easier for certain types of spikes as well. Not really that cheap, it does improve the overall playing of player if you... don't abuse it. Yea, then it's cheap. And most people that abuse things don't really win too often (not sure about brawl yet lulz). Maybe with this lag however, anything is possible at the moment though :cool:

Posted by Alastor

I use a combination of the stick and buttons so as not to be totally cheap, but I've noticed that any time I consciously try to play without using the cstick, I kinda suck. :(

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Alastor;830598]I use a combination of the stick and buttons so as not to be totally cheap, but I've noticed that any time I consciously try to play without using the cstick, I kinda suck. :(

exactly :cool: thats like not doi- I'm so used to doing such crazy button combinations, I feel the lag is restricting me, and the game is restricting me as well ;_;, I'm thinking of changing the x button to grab at this moment and z to attack since I used to attack with z, a, and c stick, and I was a big shield grabber as I wasn't the best to grab offensively so I'd do it on a defense.

I'll get this shat down, Pit's already wavedashing with snake, **** looks scary :(

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: wavedashing

lol wut?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Alastor;830610]lol wut?

thats what I said

Posted by Alastor

Best be joking.

Posted by junior senior

classic controller, i like to play when im in bed

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Alastor;830624]Best be joking.

I kid you not :cool:

Posted by Alastor

I thought Havok disabled wavedashing entirely.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

whoever havok is, I guess with physics and jumping or animation, it isn't so easy to take it out 100%? I've only seen him do it with snake, and not at 100%, but its a long dash animation, with an attack included. I think he may have used it against Iris in the middle of the night, but with the lag, it looks much harder to pull of, offline, probably much easier. So far, this dash just looks like one of snakes little tricks.

Posted by Alastor

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_Physics]Havok[/url] is the physics engine that Brawl uses, also used by games like Halo 2 and Assassin's Creed. The new physics are why wavedashing was thought to be a thing of the past. The only reason wavedashing was in Melee was because Melee used the same physics that SSB64 used. ...I think.

Posted by David M. Awesome

I'm still using the Gamecube Controller. I intend to try the rest of them eventually.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

so they took out smash physics to put halo physics, I suck at halo ;_;

as much of a thing of the past it was supposed to be... I don't think that can stop people from finding little tids and bits and exploits in the game though. I'm still waiting to see what will be discovered so that my hands feel more full when I play. As far as I know though, any tricks so far haven't been done using air dodging and landing in special ways at specific seconds o_o

Posted by Alastor

I'm sure some new gimmick will arise, but wavedashing as it was is supposed to be dead. Just like Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii. They've changed the boost system in MKWii to be stronger the longer you drift, to help prevent snaking. Still, it won't be too long before someone finds some cheap/annoying exploitation of that system. Brawl shouldn't be any different.

And just to clarify, it was only Halo 2 that used Havok. Halo and Halo 3 didn't. ;)

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

[quote=Alastor;830676]And just to clarify, it was only Halo 2 that used Havok. Halo and Halo 3 didn't. ;)

I sucked at that also, compared to Pit at least :cool:

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Alastor:
And just to clarify, it was only Halo 2 that used Havok. Halo and Halo 3 didn't. ;)

Halo 3 did use Havok.

Posted by Alastor

Whoops.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I sucked at all 3 still :mad:

Posted by Iris

Totally considering switching to remote and nunchuk. Gamecube controller is far too unresponsive for me. Missed dodges and smash attacks are ****ing me off to no end.

Posted by Aeroshadow5098

I play ONLY with the wiimote. Wanted to try something new, got too used to wiimote, and now I suck with gamecube, so I use wiimote

Posted by O.T.L

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: whoever havok is, I guess with physics and jumping or animation, it isn't so easy to take it out 100%? I've only seen him do it with snake, and not at 100%, but its a long dash animation, with an attack included. I think he may have used it against Iris in the middle of the night, but with the lag, it looks much harder to pull of, offline, probably much easier. So far, this dash just looks like one of snakes little tricks.

I think what your talking about is the DAC ( dash attack cancel ) its an attack where the character wave dashes a but then does a up a attack. Its the closest thing to what your saying that I can think of . Some characters can do it sheik and link I know can do it for sure. I can DAC with link , its something new that I picked up , its a little difficult to do but it has a good pay out.

Posted by Ant

that post is nearly 2 and half months old. I'm pretty sure most players know about it now.

Posted by Breakman

i use gamecube and classic but since i figure no one voted classic i took the liberty to
seriously, it's extremely comfortable for me since i'm a huge snesfag-- i'd use it exclusively if it weren't wireless (what with having to attach it to the wiimote) and my fear of wireless contraptions that they'll instantly run out of batteries at any given moment

also a good way to get un-used to csticking is playing ssb64 for awhile; I still play it on kaillera on pc sometimes despite brawl already being released (it's still extremely fun in its own way) and with csticking non-present and smashes being full-power with no chargeup it's really an interesting experience
i actually suck at it lately because i'm so used to using the cstick

Posted by ExoXile

I started off with the classic controller, then I noticed I had no rumble.
So I instantly switched to my GC controller.
I play alot better with it, too.

And I use the Wiimote whenever I'm in my bed playing(GC controller don't reach..).