Turning a sphere inside out.

Posted by Hyperactive Poster

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6626464599825291409

I really enjoyed this. How it explains why you van turn a sphere inside out, but not a circle.

Posted by Shade

wouldn't you be able to turn a sphere inside out because it's 3D, and not a circle because it's 2D? seems like an easier explanation to me.

Posted by Borealis

Mathematicians have far too much time on their hands.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shade;830057]wouldn't you be able to turn a sphere inside out because it's 3D, and not a circle because it's 2D? seems like an easier explanation to me.

That's not an explanation.

Posted by Roger Smith

That chick has a hot voice.

Also, I just pulled a rubber band inside out wrongly to spite the video.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I wonder how much money was wasted on this.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Roger Smith;830291]That chick has a hot voice.

Also, I just pulled a rubber band inside out wrongly to spite the video.

There wasn't a rubber band in the video.

[quote=Lord of Spam;830292]I wonder how much money was wasted on this.

Finding simple methods to solve complex problems mathematically isn't a waste of money.

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting Speedfreak: There wasn't a rubber band in the video.

I know, it's all I had on-hand that was close to the circle they used in the video lol.

Posted by Iris

Shame there's no material in known existance that can pass through itself!

Posted by Speedfreak

There was no known applicable use for mathematically displaying 2D images with pixels, 3D models with polygons or various textured surface simulations with bump mapping at the time the theories for those techniques were devised. Yet decades later they're all used in real time for things as trivial as video games.

The point of this theory isn't in case we discover a material that passes through itself, it's for transforming curves according to certain rules. Those rules probably have something to do with how computers freak out when infinity is involved, such as in the infinitely sharp corners in the video. Did anyone actually listen to the video?

Posted by muffla

yea im not going to watch all 21 minutes of that, i got to where she said you cant turn a circle inside out then turned it off

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It takes 21 minutes to turn a sphere inside out? THE MORE YOU KNOW

Posted by Bebop

The animator must have had alot of fun making that.

Posted by Breakman

in before kirby being turned inside out.jpg