Video Game Vest Simulates Sensation of Being Capped

Posted by Crazy K

I stumbled across this article about a vest that simulates getting shot. The article is located [url=http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=video-game-vest-simulates&ec=su_vest]here.[/url] It's from October of 2007, so it's somewhat old.

[Quote]
Video Game Vest Simulates Sensation of Being Capped

Video game maker TN Games delivers a vest filled with sensors that promises to give fans a more authentic experience

By Larry Greenemeier

First-person shooter video games have become immensely popular because of their ability to let players mercilessly mow down digital foes from the comfort of an easy chair. When a new breed of video game technology hits the market next month, the machines will have their day as their flesh and blood opponents gain the ability to feel the impact of bullets, explosions and other blows by donning a specially designed vest rigged with pneumatic actuators and microcompressors.

The 3rdSpace Vest developed by Redmond, Wash.

Posted by Fate

30lbs per square inch? Sounds like a nasty pinch and potential lawsuit. I can imagine some hemo kid dying from that thing. lol

Posted by Crazy K

I think it would be cool if it was like a little zap that didn't cause any problems, kind of like "ooh you've been hit, oh well".

Posted by Fate

I think it'd be a really cool thing, too. I would hope it works correctly or we'd be zapped or bruised.

Posted by Zeta

Lord knows some idiots would think that little zap is what a real bullet would feel like, though.

Posted by muffla

and then some dumb *** would end up putting it arount their head or sumthing stupid like that, getting hit in the temple and dying. the it would be ruind for the rest of us

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting muffla: and then some dumb *** would end up putting it arount their head or sumthing stupid like that, getting hit in the temple and dying.

One less moron.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Can't wait to see how Fox News reacts. I wonder if Fox had thought the N64 rumble-pack was meant as an erotic toy for women?

Posted by Roger Smith

Quoting WillisGreeny: Can't wait to see how Fox News reacts. I wonder if Fox had thought the N64 rumble-pack was meant as an erotic toy for women?

You mean like the Trance Vibrator for Rez?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

It should have heating pads in it, too, for explosions or fires. That'd be awesome.

Posted by S

Uh, doesn't it take 8 lbs. per square inch to break a bone?
And aren't nunchucks illegal because they can inflict 80 lbs. per square inch?

Posted by Lord of Spam

You can do a lot with a little if you lever it right. Its probably possible to break a bone with only 8lbf, but it would have to be a very, very specific 8lbf. Jump up and down. You just put your entire weight on the bones in your legs, which probably have a combined cross sectional area of no more than 10 inches.

I'm pretty sure you weigh more than 80 pounds.

Posted by muffla

Quoting Roger Smith: One less moron.

yea but that one moron will make it illegal for the rest of us

Posted by WillisGreeny

Quoting muffla: yea but that one moron will make it illegal for the rest of us

tis true. Never under estimate the power of one dumb person since dumb people tend to be the first ones heard.
*looks at Fox News*

Posted by Speedfreak

These were around in like the early 90s.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, I had one for the genesis if I recall the right console. It was a piece of ****, but the exact same thing.