Classical music suggestions?

Posted by Slade

They're throwing away a huuueg amount of old classical vinyl records here at da collage. Basically, is there anything that would be worth getting? As in, kind of experimental or otherwise enjoyable? Just list names, I guess. If they're well known, I can probably get their entire works. I've already raped the collection of it's "ethnic music" and some experimental jazz records, so at 25 cents a pop I'm wondering if there is anything else worth getting.

Posted by Stalolin

air on a g-string by bach

Posted by Omni

These are some of the ones I think are worth hearing.

B

Posted by Shade

^ In addition:

Antonio Vivaldi
Johann Brahms

I also second Chopin because he's ****ing awesome.

Posted by Richaod

Gustav Holst, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Richard Wagner.

Pretty much anything really, you can't go wrong with their well-known records at least. Especially for 25 cents apiece.

Posted by Philsdad

I don't see any Saint-Saens in this thread..

Posted by Slade

So... you guys have pretty much listed all the well-known composers. I GUESS THAT MEANS I SHOULD GET THEM ALL

And yeah, they've got huge portfolios of composer's complete works that are going for half a dollar. The other day a I got Music of Isreal (fukken awesome), Now Make We Merthe (medieval carols), and a phat stack of Gregorian hymns for like 2 bucks. Not being able to rely on my computer for music has it's advantages!

Posted by Stalolin

If you find The Final Countdown by Europe or Revolutionary Etude by Chopin, I'll pay you big bucks for them.

Posted by Lord of Spam

if they have the soundstrack for A Clockwork Orange, get it. do not hesitate. Kill for it if need be.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Stalolin: The Final Countdown

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8sNoodIDk]Pw8sNoodIDk[/youtube]

I hate that song with a passion in ANY incarnation.

Posted by Slade

I ended up getting the TIME LIFE COLLECTIONS for ~5 composers, and a few other records here and there. No luck finding anything you guys /r/'d or specifically suggested. : / So far I've only listened to Bart

Posted by Slade

In other news, this is the kind of stuff I hear played at the radio station I volunteer at now:

Squarepusher, Venetian Snares, Asobi Seksu, Katamari soundtrack, some kid playing Mario 64 in the booth, Celtic Frost, Nurse With Wound, a bunch of people playing noisemakers in the booth, Merzbow, Boards of Canada, Richard Cheese, etc. etc.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

Dude, your radio station rules!

Anyone that plays V Snares+Celtic Frost+ Merzbow is OK with me!

Too bad nobody has the balls to play anything good around here.

Posted by Omni

Get your own radio station then.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

You mean an online one or a real one?

An online one is doable.

Posted by Omni

Whichever, just do it.

Posted by Fate

I frequently listen to Yo-Yo Ma. *shrugs*

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

So, Slade, no Wagner? Too bad. Metal and him have a lot in common.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: So, Slade, no Wagner? Too bad. Metal and him have a lot in common.

:( I totally don't remember if I got a collection of his stuff or not. I'm going to check and see if they have anything new set out tonight, so I'll keep that in mind. Pretty sure no one else is even looking at those things, so I'm scoring some sweet deals. sure, every record has DISCARD stamped on it front and back, but it's about the music, man. yeah, man... yeah.