Bah, broke the PSP.

Posted by maian

...I posted this in this board because of the general lack of activity in the PSP board.

I was sleeping on a bunkbed, and the PSP fell off during the night and took a pretty hard fall. I don't believe the whole thing is broken, because I think the problem lies within the power switch. Instead of switching up or down, it just moves up and down freely with no resistance. I believe that if I somehow got this fixed, it'd probably be fine. So, has anyone else experienced this problem? I'd like to be able to fix it without sending it in or ordering some spare part or something. Basically, if there's any way to fix it that's, uh, free, that's what I want to know. :cookie:

If not, I suppose I'll just have to order a seperate switch part from the internet somewhere, because apparently this is a pretty common problem when people drop their PSPs. >_>

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting maian: ...I posted this in this board because of the general lack of activity in the PSP board.

I was sleeping on a bunkbed, and the PSP fell off during the night and took a pretty hard fall. I don't believe the whole thing is broken, because I think the problem lies within the power switch. Instead of switching up or down, it just moves up and down freely with no resistance. I believe that if I somehow got this fixed, it'd probably be fine. So, has anyone else experienced this problem? I'd like to be able to fix it without sending it in or ordering some spare part or something. Basically, if there's any way to fix it that's, uh, free, that's what I want to know. :cookie:

If not, I suppose I'll just have to order a seperate switch part from the internet somewhere, because apparently this is a pretty common problem when people drop their PSPs. >_>

Although I don't know the PSP's outside case very well, is it possible to remove the cover yourself? I can't imagine it being too difficult, but I don't own one so I don't really know much.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Sounds like the spring came loose. Open the case and put it back on if you can.

Posted by maian

Bleh, discovered the problem. I took it apart, and I'm in the process of reassembling. Gawd, I hope it works when it's all together again. >_>

Basically, behind the power switch is a yellow piece of plastic with a small indent in it. In that small indent is another tiny piece of plastic, that's connected to the actual switch on the circuit board. That tiny little piece of plastic in the indent is what makes the switch able to turn it on, since that piece being there is what the yellow piece is pushing to turn it on.

...Long story short, that tiny little nub broke off, so now the yellow switch piece has no contact with the switch itself, so it has no resistance and it can't turn on. I was going to just remove the switch and use a pencil or something to turn it off, but it doesn't really come out without breaking. Only solution is to order a new circuitboard from the internet for $5 or so. >_>

Posted by Borealis

THAT'S AWFUL - I really feel for you, man :(