Smash Bros Tournament at my Gamestop!

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR="Yellow"]I don't know if your stores are doing the same thing but i just by semi-accident signed up to a SMBB tournament. I called in today to verify when i can pick up my reserved copy of the game and i was told at midnight on March 8th. But then the kid over the phone mentioned they were having a tournament at 8:00 pm and if i wanted to register for it. I figured why not. Smash Bros is definitely one of the one game where I'm confident enough that i can beat the best players out there. Winner gets a free copy of the game plus other prizes they haven't decided on yet. Also, they're working on the rules (he mentioned there's certain characters we won't be allowed to use) so I'm guessing hidden characters might not be available. A bummer since Falco is my top choice, but as long as i'm able to use Link I'll have a good chance.

Wish me luck, and are any of your local stores doing anything similar? If you've pre-ordered the game (and you should have), you might wanna call and check. I know i was surprised by it.[/COLOR]

Posted by WillisGreeny

Good luck! Person.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Enjoy playing with a Wiimote and nunchuck!

Posted by Iris

Have fun playing with items on and no Final Destination! snickerchortchokeondoritos

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Iris: Have fun playing with items on and no Final Destination! snickerchortchokeondoritos

[COLOR="Yellow"]That's normally how i like to play.[/COLOR]

Posted by Borealis

I'm going to mine as well.

And for you poking fun, it's $5000 + 45" Plasma TV reward.

Posted by Synth2012

That's pretty awesome. Using the Wiimote for Brawl will kinda suck balls though.

Anyways, good luck!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Midnight releases suck. Even if I really wanted Brawl (oh wait, I do) I wouldn't go to one. I'll casually stroll in on sunday morning and find out it's completely sold out and rage.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I have never, in my entire life, had a game sell out on me. BUT THEN AGAIN, I live in Scotland. I mean, who's gonna buy all the copies? The sheep?

It's only happened when I'm all "lol go pick it up later" and I finally get around to it three days later. Typically takes a couple days to sell out here. Though it IS Smash, so it could be fairly possible. Find on on sunday!

Posted by O.T.L

They make you use the Wii mote and nutchuck :) thats gay ... gamecube control fo me . My gamestop isnt participating in the tournaments , but they are releasing the game at midnight , i dont care about the tournaments I'll just buy it and WiFi dat *****.

Posted by Synth2012

I might be sounding really, really stupid right now... but my friend said there's been a lot of instances of Gamestop/EB Games selling copies of games people preordered if they don't pick them up quick enough. Does that really happen? I don't want them to sell my game if I have to work that day!

Posted by protomanEXE

i didnt resever mine at gamestop but at gamecrazy they are also going to have a tourney..i wonder if the rules will b the same

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Synth2012: I might be sounding really, really stupid right now... but my friend said there's been a lot of instances of Gamestop/EB Games selling copies of games people preordered if they don't pick them up quick enough. Does that really happen? I don't want them to sell my game if I have to work that day!

[COLOR="Yellow"]I'm pretty sure they hold on to your pre-order for days later. I'm not sure exactly but there was an instance when i didn't pick up a game i reserved until almost a week later. You should call to find out though.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: I might be sounding really, really stupid right now... but my friend said there's been a lot of instances of Gamestop/EB Games selling copies of games people preordered if they don't pick them up quick enough. Does that really happen? I don't want them to sell my game if I have to work that day!

They will. They're not supposed to but there's nothing stopping them. We used to sell off other people's pre-orders if someone would make a large enough deposit. You put down five dollars, some kid walks in and says he'll give me twenty to pocket for your copy, why wouldn't I? Not saying that will happen in your case, it's just a possibility.

Though come launch day, I doubt they'll give it away unless they took too many preorders and don't have enough copies to fulfill all the names before you on the list.

Posted by Ant

I'm going to go right after I get off work at 11 that night. I expect a madhouse. And if I can't get it, I'll just go to the bestbuy for the midnight launch.

Posted by Synth2012

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: They will. They're not supposed to but there's nothing stopping them. We used to sell off other people's pre-orders if someone would make a large enough deposit. You put down five dollars, some kid walks in and says he'll give me twenty to pocket for your copy, why wouldn't I? Not saying that will happen in your case, it's just a possibility.

Though come launch day, I doubt they'll give it away unless they took too many preorders and don't have enough copies to fulfill all the names before you on the list.

I will be so ****ed off if those ****ers sell my copy. I really hope I don't have to work on Sunday... cuz there's no way I can be standing there at midnight. lol

If you get a phone call you're probably safe. By then they should have a shipment in and they can see if they have enough copies for all their pre-orders.

Posted by protomanEXE

the stores dont ususally give up your copy till like 2 to 3 days later..so i think you will be good if u just come in that morning

Posted by WillisGreeny

I reserved a copy of Spore almost a whole year ago... I wonder if EB remembers. :-/

Posted by protomanEXE

well i reseved brawl last January and they still had it on the data base

Posted by Synth2012

Maybe I should call them and tell them I'm a girl so they shouldn't sell my copy if I have to work Sunday... "You wouldn't want to break a girls heart, would you mister EB Games guy? *blink blink*" lol

They have your phone number, I wouldn't do that.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Some guys like breaking little girl's hearts.

Posted by Imaginary Friend

Quoted post: Smash Bros is definitely one of the one game where I'm confident enough that i can beat the best players out there.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah that made me lol too. Why does everyone think they're the best in the world at Smash?

Posted by protomanEXE

I called up the gamecrazy were the tourney is and the people in that tourney get to use Gamecube controllers...so thats a major plus :)

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Synth2012: I might be sounding really, really stupid right now... but my friend said there's been a lot of instances of Gamestop/EB Games selling copies of games people preordered if they don't pick them up quick enough. Does that really happen? I don't want them to sell my game if I have to work that day!

Assuming something like what Vamp said doesn't happen, they're only supposed to hold pre-orders for 48 hours. I got Twilight Princess entirely because of that. Went the second day after it was out and got someone else's copy. :cookie:

Posted by Synth2012

Aw man, Alastor. Sounds like you're going straight to hell! :P

Posted by WillisGreeny

I had a reserverd copy of Twilight Princess at EB, but they sold it off 48 hours later. Tell ya what, if I ever find that guy. :sniper:

Posted by Imaginary Friend

Quoting s0ul: Yeah that made me lol too. Why does everyone think they're the best in the world at Smash?

Because they think being better than their friends or any other losers they've played locally makes them great. It's really just a case unwarranted egotism. And SSB isn't even the most skillful of games, but I'm quite sure this guy would be demolished by Pro Smashers EASILY. Ken, Isai, ChuDat, PC Chris, Gimpyfish etc.

Posted by Arcadios

Me and my friend waited outside a Gamestop near me an hour and a half before it was open. Me and him just chilled in the car and played M.U.G.E.N. and some roms. There was no line but 2 kids decided to wait outside in the rain. They opened up and we got out numbers. 64 spots only and I got number 4. Funny tihng is I didn't reserve my Brawl there but inside the mall next to it. Meh, just gonna go for the tounrey and then wait until morning to get my copy in the mall since it's fully paid for.

BUT ****. are they gonna have just the basic characters or full roster?
I wanna play as Luigi since I'm best with him but if they have basics then I'll have to stick with Mario.

Posted by protomanEXE

more than likely it will be the beginning roster, so that people don't see any new characters yet, but i guess you will just have to wait and see

Posted by Alastor

There were talks about Nintendo possibly sending SD cards with all of the characters on them. Don't know how true it is, though. Going to call my store in a while to ask about it.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Sounds like a marketing strategy for selling SD cards if it's true.

Posted by Alastor

Just called them. No secret characters. Oh well, I'd be using Fox or Mario anyways.

Posted by Arcadios

No WEEGEE for Arc. :(

Posted by Iris

I love how mean Brawl is to Luigi. Like, even the announcer says everyone's names all enthusiastically and says "Luigi?" when you select him.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Whenever Luigi goes to a party, "So is Mario not coming?"

Posted by Arcadios

WEEGEE never gets any love. :(

Posted by WillisGreeny

Well, ofcourse. Why does Luigi get a vacum in Luigi's mansion? Because he sux.

weegee's also the one that gets trapped/kidnapped/****s up whenever he tries to do anything (what's up, galaxy) so he deserves it.

ANYWHO, so much for brawl tournaments here in southern ontario. Freezing rain, tons of snow and horrible wind? Yeah, canceled. Everywhere will likely be closed tomorrow too. UGH

Posted by Synth2012

Same thing here, Vampiro. We're having a blizzard. All the malls in Northeast Ohio were closed today... I'm hoping they're open tomorrow. I can't even get my side door open right now.

Yeah, hoping everything is open too. Doubt it though. I shoveled twice today and thirty minutes after each time you couldn't even tell I was out there. siiiiigh

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

OH POOR YOU, YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT AN EXTRA DAY FOR BRAWL

**** YOU MAN **** YOU

Waiting one more day is worse when I should already have it than knowing the official release date is months away.