NOTHING CAN HOLD MGS4!!! MUHUHAHA!

Posted by Big Boss

[quote]http://ps3.ign.com/articles/856/856239p1.html

At 50GB, the Blu-ray offers nearly six times the storage capacity of a DVD

Posted by Arcadios

http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=29468&page=2

Posted by Last Fog

What's wrong with two Blu-ray discs?

Then if it comes to 360 it will be 10 DVDs!

Posted by Zeta

Kojima doesn't even try to compress anything.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Is that with or without the redundant data needed on ps3 blu-ray games to keep load times under 3 days long?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

This is either ridiculous marketing or just plain poor development. A dual-layer Bluray disc can hold 50GB - there's no way MGS4 has that much content without some really lazy compression/no compression at all.

Posted by Speedfreak

IN.

AFTER.

BULLSHIT.

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak: IN.

AFTER.

BULLSHIT.

uncompressed everything itt

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: This is either ridiculous marketing or just plain poor development.

Both.

Posted by Speedfreak

More like they're advertising their poor development skills.

Posted by Fate

Or maybe there really is a ****load of uncompressed data in the game. I'm okay with that.

Posted by Zeta

Bet 10wholebux you wouldn't be saying that if it weren't MGS.

Posted by Fate

That's a silly thing to say. It's because it is MGS that I say it. Other games aren't my uber-favorite like this series is. It means a lot more to me as a gamer and artist than any other game I've ever played. You're gay and like men. :mad: :confused:

Posted by Zeta

... You can see into my mind?

Posted by Borealis

Isn't the upcoming FF gonna be 2 CDs as well?

Posted by maian

I agree with Fate! :cookie:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=maian;824988]I agree with Fate! :cookie:Man, you're not even a hardcore MGS fan. You played the first MGS on your friend's Playstation or something.

Posted by Fate

He's seen the light.

Posted by maian

I will not go into detail on proving that I am a true MGS fan! Because I am! :cookie:

Posted by Fate

This conversation made me think of MGS4 and now I'm getting all excited. You know that feeling you get when you want something sooooo bad and you feel it at your fingertips but you can't quite have it yet? Unhhhhhhhhhh.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;824920][COLOR=skyblue]Or maybe there really is a ****load of uncompressed data in the game. I'm okay with that.[/COLOR]

...thats why their development skills would be p- oh fuck this. GET OUT, THE MEN ARE TALKING.

Posted by Arcadios

Quoting Fate: You know that feeling you get when you want something sooooo bad and you feel it at your fingertips but you can't quite have it yet? Unhhhhhhhhhh.

Like Brawl being 4 days away?
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, i guess so.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: ...thats why their development skills would be p- oh fuck this. GET OUT, THE MEN ARE TALKING.

Wouldn't compression make for longer loading times and not-as-great-as-originally-intended video and audio? If all the data is seriously pushing the limits I don't think I would want it to be compressed, especially since this is a blockbuster title.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;825249][COLOR=skyblue]Wouldn't compression make for longer loading times and not-as-great-as-originally-intended video and audio? If all the data is seriously pushing the limits I don't think I would want it to be compressed, especially since this is a blockbuster title.[/COLOR]

Why would smaller files mean longer loading times?

The difference in sound quality with compression is outside the range of human hearing. You wouldn't notice anything. Honestly, if they're not compressing anything in the game they're doing it just to fill up the disc. It's an unbelievably stupid thing to do.

Quoted post: Man, you're not even a hardcore MGS fan. You played the first MGS on your friend's Playstation or something.

Gotta admit, I still lol whenever I see maian talk about MGS.

Posted by Zeta

maian probably hasn't played Ghost Babel. NOT A TRUE MGS FAN!

Posted by Poco

Quoting Speedfreak:

The difference in sound quality with compression is outside the range of human hearing. You wouldn't notice anything. Honestly, if they're not compressing anything in the game they're doing it just to fill up the disc. It's an unbelievably stupid thing to do.

This is right. The only people who might notice are extreme audiophiles, and they don't play console games.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Zeta;825299]maian probably hasn't played Ghost Babel. NOT A TRUE MGS FAN!Ghost Babel... Was that the GBC Metal Gear? Because I have a vague memory of it.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Speedfreak: Why would smaller files mean longer loading times?

I'm pretty sure that compressed files take a bit to open and sort out, especially since there's got to be a hell of a lot of packed stuff to be opened. I read somewhere that compressed stuff has to be opened at the same time, sometimes causing complications with the programming if one packet opens even a microsecond later. Whether what I read applies to games or not I wouldn't know, but it makes sense.

I'm not so sure about this either, but would compressing only sound make a lot of difference?

Posted by Zeta

Quoting The X: Ghost Babel... Was that the GBC Metal Gear? Because I have a vague memory of it.

You are correct sir. :cookie:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/0496-MetalGearSolidUMenace_04.png[/IMG][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/0496-MetalGearSolidUMenace_06.png[/IMG][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/0496-MetalGearSolidUMenace_08.png[/IMG]

There is a difference between file compression and .zip files and the like, is there not?

I believe so. zip is an archiver as well as a compressor. So that should make quite a bit of difference. Though I always figured compression is compression. You've gotta uncompress it for it to be usable. Not sure how it translates to video games, but that's how it works for nearly everything else including video.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;825422][COLOR=skyblue]I'm pretty sure that compressed files take a bit to open and sort out, especially since there's got to be a hell of a lot of packed stuff to be opened. I read somewhere that compressed stuff has to be opened at the same time, sometimes causing complications with the programming if one packet opens even a microsecond later. Whether what I read applies to games or not I wouldn't know, but it makes sense.

I'm not so sure about this either, but would compressing only sound make a lot of difference?[/COLOR]

Depends on the kind of compression. If it's a lossless compression (doesn't lose any data, just shrinks it) it needs to be decompressed, like with textures. But all games consoles do that on the fly on the graphics chip. With sound they use lossy compression, which pretty much means they cut out a ton of data that they don't need, then it just plays what's left. Like playing an mp3.

Uncompressed sound is unbeleivably huge, hundreds of megabytes for a 2 minute track.

Prince: .zip is a kind of compression, a lossless kind. For something like a jpg it's lossy, there's a downgrade in quality so you wouldn't want to photoshop it, but for simple stuff like just viewing it on a webpage it's fine.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Zeta: ... You can see into my mind?

I'M GOING TO BE A BOSS

Posted by Fate

Hmm. From the looks of Mass Effect, they must've used compressed files on the textures. The cutscenes sometimes load before the textures are finished being unpacked, causing a wtf-is-this-thing moment. It takes you out of the immersion a little, which I don't like.

Maybe there's something to Kojima's choice of not compressing stuff.

Quoting Fate: Hmm. From the looks of Mass Effect, they must've used compressed files on the textures. The cutscenes sometimes load before the textures are finished being unpacked, causing a wtf-is-this-thing moment. It takes you out of the immersion a little, which I don't like.

Maybe there's something to Kojima's choice of not compressing stuff.

Sounds more like raising the curtain before the players are at their marks, to me. Is it so hard to keep the lights down until the textures are in place?

Posted by Fate

I'm not sure if programming is affected by compressed things. Maybe it's messing up things?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I don't claim to be an expert on programming (2 years of C++, Python and Basic to get me into a CS course), but I'm pretty sure the compression in question here is what Speedfreak is describing. Trimming the 'fat' of a file in ways undiscernable to a human observer. I imagine the designers at Kojima Productions are just using more space than absolutely necessary in the creation of models, textures, etc. Which is weird, because MGS4's textures look like horse ****.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;825540][COLOR=skyblue]Hmm. From the looks of Mass Effect, they must've used compressed files on the textures. The cutscenes sometimes load before the textures are finished being unpacked, causing a wtf-is-this-thing moment. It takes you out of the immersion a little, which I don't like.

Maybe there's something to Kojima's choice of not compressing stuff.[/COLOR]

That's not because of the compression (all textures in all games are compressed, I promise you). That's just the 360s crappy bandwidth. It can't get the textures from the main RAM to the GPU fast enough.

[quote=The X;825560]I don't claim to be an expert on programming (2 years of C++, Python and Basic to get me into a CS course), but I'm pretty sure the compression in question here is what Speedfreak is describing. Trimming the 'fat' of a file in ways undiscernable to a human observer. I imagine the designers at Kojima Productions are just using more space than absolutely necessary in the creation of models, textures, etc. Which is weird, because MGS4's textures look like horse ****.

2 years of C++? I'm impressed, I had no idea.

Posted by fanboy100

kogima is a legend

Posted by TimeSkipz

[quote=Prince Shondronai;824316]Is that with or without the redundant data needed on ps3 blu-ray games to keep load times under 3 days long?

DVD-9 loads slow on the inside of the disc while the outer edge loads quicker, Blu ray loads equal on all parts.

They never used the 50 GB dual layer for MGS4. They were using the 25 gb Single Layer. To solve it they used a 50 GB Dual Layer and were about to run out of room

Posted by Skitzo Control

[quote=Fate;824920][COLOR=skyblue]Or maybe there really is a ****load of uncompressed data in the game. I'm okay with that.[/COLOR]
Which is exactly what every gamer's thought SHOULD be. Lots of data often means lots of gameplay time!

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Skitzo Control;840294]Which is exactly what every gamer's thought SHOULD be. Lots of data often means lots of gameplay time!

That's so wrong it's embarrassing.

C'mon Speedfreak. If all games just had more zeros and ones in them, we'd all be in paradise, and no games would ever suck again!