StarCraft general talk.

Posted by Xero

I've been playing this game for a while. I still love it! Its just fun! I know some might think its old, but the game is still really popular. This is gonna be general starcraft talk, nothing ELSE! I'd like to know your favorite race (mine is zerg). You favorite unit. (mine is the Dark Archon). The campaign you enjoyed the most (mine is the zerg one from the 2nd game). :devil:

Posted by Fiindil

only played the original starcraft, no add on's for me! :)

Favourite race is the Terran (Warhammer 40 K's Space Marines anyone?) Favourite unit being the nuclear missle solo! >:D nah, the Siege Tank, nice and trusty

Favourite campaign would be the Protoss one, awesome

I hate playing it on B.Net tho, it becomes a barracks rush, which sucks

Posted by Xero

I gotta agree with b.net. too rushy.
I did not understand your part of favorite unit...Is it nuke or siege tank? (nuke is not a unit, ghost shoot them.) :devil:

Posted by Fiindil

Siege tank, nuke silo doesn't count because it's a building :) unless you cheat and make it mobile....

Posted by Poco

Quoting Fiindil:

Favourite race is the Terran (Warhammer 40 K's Space Marines anyone?)

They stole the Marines from Warhammer 40k, in likeness, and in power.

Oh yeah, the Protoss and Zerg are rip offs of the Eldar and Tyranids from the same 40k universe.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Poco: They stole the Marines from Warhammer 40k, in likeness, and in power.

No, Starcraft marines are weaker, and look different. The only similarities are the fact they have armour, and they are human.

Quoting Poco:
Oh yeah, the Protoss and Zerg are rip offs of the Eldar and Tyranids from the same 40k universe.

No. The Protoss and zerg are like above, different except for the basic stuff.

Otherwise you could say everything is a ripoff of WH40K just because it has an advanced alien race and a creature race.

Like halo. You could whinge "de cvenet r a ripof or warhamer!1!111!!!!" when they are obviously different.

And WH40K is highly contradictory. They have space marines surviving nukes and unarmoured marines getting hit by bolters without armour on, but they can still get killed by a single bolter which is basically a glorified RPG.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Fiindil: Siege tank, nuke silo doesn't count because it's a building :) unless you cheat and make it mobile....

Is it even possible to make a building movable???
The only cheats I know are the codes. :devil:

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting Poco: They stole the Marines from Warhammer 40k, in likeness, and in power.

the protoss and zerg are SOOO obviously rip off's of Warcraft III's Undead and Night Elves ;)

joking aside...

Flame ghost, not if you create a crack for the game available in multiplayer :) which i haven't done cos multiplayer cheating is BAD

ok and because i'm too thick to know how :D

Posted by Xero

Quoting Fiindil: Flame ghost, not if you create a crack for the game available in multiplayer :) which i haven't done cos multiplayer cheating is BAD

I know cheating is bad! I do not cheat, just my friends and I have a starcraft club and we had to boot one of us because he was cheating! What's the point? When you end up in battle.net, you suck! :devil:

Posted by Fiindil

battle.net sucks anyway IMO so it doesn't make too much of a difference, but if i have to cheat, it's either on a console game, or a game i've won before

Posted by Poco

Quoting higbvuyb:

And WH40K is highly contradictory. They have space marines surviving nukes and unarmoured marines getting hit by bolters without armour on, but they can still get killed by a single bolter which is basically a glorified RPG.

Have you EVER played 40k? There is no way some Scout is going to survive a freaking blast froma bolter with the +5 armor saves. The Space Marines have a +3 armor save, which means there is little chance of getting shot by a bolter and dying.

Well, back to SC. I love using the Zerg as a hoard army. I love the Hormagaunts and Genestealers. Oh, that's 40k. For the Zerg, they have the exact same weakness as the Nids. Flame beats them, they hoard in large groups, all controlled by one mind, etc.

Posted by higbvuyb

Thats not just 40K. the idea of creatures that are all controlled by one mind, come in large groups and attack humans has existed for ages. Before 40K. And flame always beats animals.

Posted by Xero

Remind me what a 40k is plz :devil:

Posted by Death-By-Minnow

I think It's a Warhammer game... I dunno I never got into it.
Anyway, for Starcraft... I like the protoss. If I play with other guys my tendency to try to keep every unit alive comes back to bite me, while with the protoss that's what you're supposed to do. However, my favorite unit is the Zergling. I can never get enough of sending a hundred of those little bastards in just to watch them all die in 10 seconds flat... I know that goes against my "not losing any units" gamestyle, but if I'm zerg I'm just screwing around anyway. A close second is the scout though, because they have such great anti-air, and when upgraded you can do some fairly nice hit-and-runs. Lastly, I like all the workers, and here's why: If you play against a computer, build a decent anti-ground defense. next, send a worker to the enemy base and hit any unprotected building. then run it back toy uor base when enemy units start chasing you. The computers workers will chase after your worker, straight into your defenses... It's cheap, but really funny to watch (not to mention it makes comp battle so much easier.)

Posted by Xero

Quoting Death-By-Minnow: I think It's a Warhammer game...

Perhaps, can you be a little more precise? :devil:

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting Flame ghost: Perhaps, can you be a little more precise? :devil:

it's based in the year 40,000, and it's very much like Starcraft

DBM: will try that sometime soon, i want a comp winnable battle! :)

Posted by Xero

I see... Well I never played that game, perhaps where could I find it? If its like starcraft, i should like it.

I'd like 60k to get off the subject plz. :devil:

Posted by Poco

[url]www.games-workshop.com[/url]

Price raises are on the horizen. Well, I started playing Starcraft again yesterday.

Posted by Xero

Cool! Welcome back man! What will you do? The campaigns to warm you up? Go directly on B.net? :devil:

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: They stole the Marines from Warhammer 40k, in likeness, and in power.

Quoted post: Oh yeah, the Protoss and Zerg are rip offs of the Eldar and Tyranids from the same 40k universe.

Quoted post: No. The Protoss and zerg are like above, different except for the basic stuff.
Otherwise you could say everything is a ripoff of WH40K just because it has an advanced alien race and a creature race.

Quoted post: the protoss and zerg are SOOO obviously rip off's of Warcraft III's Undead and Night Elves

And whatever else that deals with this topic.

I'd like to point out that you're all idiots. The Zerg and Protoss races are homage to the Alien and Predator races. And the Terrans are homage to the Marines from various Alien movies. They even take quotes right out of the Alien movies. Also the cutscene where the Terrans infiltrate the infested science station is VERY reminicent of certain action scenes from the movie Aliens.

However, Poco was the closest. If anything Warhammer stole stuff from the Alien and Predator world, and SC built apon that.

I care little for this game, other than what it has to do with Aliens and Predators, so that's all I have to say in this thread.

Posted by Xero

Ok...Well I think its kinda obvious that they had to get some inspiration to make the game and its also abvious that zergs and protoss are aliens...Although, protoss are an advance human race. I read this (hope its true) They kinda have a human shape to the exception of dragoons. The rest has a human shape. :devil:

The dragoons are machines with incapacitated warriors in them. That's why they say "I have returned" when you create them. The protoss themselves are humanoid.

As for playing the game, I lost my disk so I can't play anymore.... but once I borrow the regular SC disk I can install my BroodWar game and play again. Would any of you mind posting your names on b.net so when I get going again I'll have some people I know?

Hey, Do you make maps? I'm a mapmaker myslef, I had 2 that did very well and a few more that weren't bad. I'd like to know if anyone else works on maps, and what editors they use (and how to get them.) I use SC X-Tra editor Version 2.5, and it seems to have almost everything I need aside from stacking.

One last thing: Do you play regular or UMS maps? I got kinda tired of the regular ones so I started playing the UMS more often. My favorites include Zergling Blood (Platinum is my favorite, versions III and VII,) Golems (Ultra Final and Crystal 2,) and Cat&mouse (Sheer Numbers II preferably.) I'm known to play just about anything else in the UMS section as well.

Posted by Xero

You said you lost your CD, but you can go back and buy it you know. The first one costs 19.99$ and the 2nd costs 29.99. The battle chest cost 39.99$ Just save a bit and go. I dint know dragoons were sayin I have return after they've been created...They talk too bad for my understanding. When they die, they say F**k you. hahaha! That made me laugh the first time I played with the toss (a campaign) Now I'm too good for the campaign, so I only play battle.net, even if its not really fun. :devil:

Quoted post: its also abvious that zergs and protoss are aliens...

You do know I mean Aliens as in http://rojaysoriginalart.com/BeauvaisAlien.JPG that sort of alien right? And by Predators I mean EDIT: Link broke..

Posted by Crazy K

I love Starcraft. I never got to play Broadwar either. My favorite group is the Terran. They are just easier to control. I love using cheats wile playing that game because I aint all that great at it.

Posted by TheMooChicken

Quoting Flame ghost: Ok...Well I think its kinda obvious that they had to get some inspiration to make the game and its also abvious that zergs and protoss are aliens...Although, protoss are an advance human race. I read this (hope its true) They kinda have a human shape to the exception of dragoons. The rest has a human shape. :devil:

Quoting Death-By-Minnow: The dragoons are machines with incapacitated warriors in them. That's why they say "I have returned" when you create them. The protoss themselves are humanoid.

As for playing the game, I lost my disk so I can't play anymore.... but once I borrow the regular SC disk I can install my BroodWar game and play again. Would any of you mind posting your names on b.net so when I get going again I'll have some people I know?

Hey, Do you make maps? I'm a mapmaker myslef, I had 2 that did very well and a few more that weren't bad. I'd like to know if anyone else works on maps, and what editors they use (and how to get them.) I use SC X-Tra editor Version 2.5, and it seems to have almost everything I need aside from stacking.

One last thing: Do you play regular or UMS maps? I got kinda tired of the regular ones so I started playing the UMS more often. My favorites include Zergling Blood (Platinum is my favorite, versions III and VII,) Golems (Ultra Final and Crystal 2,) and Cat&mouse (Sheer Numbers II preferably.) I'm known to play just about anything else in the UMS section as well.

As for the Zerg and Protoss, they were created by the Xel Naga. The Protoss were their first creation, and attempt at a perfect race that were perfect in body. Unfortunatly the Protoss soon learned that they were being watched by their creators, and kind of attacked them. The Xel Naga they went off to try again. They found the Zerg larva, and they built on that. Soon they created an entity that was perfect in mind. Unfortunatly for them, this was their last venture, because the Overmind soon learned they were theyre, and launched an attack.

Read the starcraft booklet that came with SC. It tells you the storyline behind all of the races, such as how all of the terrans are the descendants of criminals exiled from Earth.

As for maps, I play only a few. I play Evolvers 2k3, Golem Revelations 3.0 (The only non-rigged version of Golems I ever found), Battlecraft (Ice FFA), and a few others... As for Melee maps, I play they when I'm bored, just to keep up my skills.

You can find of of my many sign ins in Channel Chicken, though at the moment they are all bots, because I am playing WoW at the moment.

Posted by Xero

Quoting TheMooChicken: As for the Zerg and Protoss, they were created by the Xel Naga. The Protoss were their first creation, and attempt at a perfect race that were perfect in body. Unfortunatly the Protoss soon learned that they were being watched by their creators, and kind of attacked them. The Xel Naga they went off to try again. They found the Zerg larva, and they built on that. Soon they created an entity that was perfect in mind. Unfortunatly for them, this was their last venture, because the Overmind soon learned they were theyre, and launched an attack.

Read the starcraft booklet that came with SC. It tells you the storyline behind all of the races, such as how all of the terrans are the descendants of criminals exiled from Earth.

As for maps, I play only a few. I play Evolvers 2k3, Golem Revelations 3.0 (The only non-rigged version of Golems I ever found), Battlecraft (Ice FFA), and a few others... As for Melee maps, I play they when I'm bored, just to keep up my skills.

You can find of of my many sign ins in Channel Chicken, though at the moment they are all bots, because I am playing WoW at the moment.

Xel naga??? Neva heard of it... As far as I remember, the SC booklet does tell you the story, but I never took the trouble of reading it.
I also see that you go on battle.net. I always loved playin "use map settings", but there is always a guy that leaves or sucks (sry) I think that its impossible of winning a sunken defence if people arent patient enough to make it through the hole game :bowser: :devil:

Yeah... I forgot about the Xel Naga... I haven't played in so long. Anyway, in case there was a misunderstanding when I said the Protoss are humanoid, I meant in shape.

I don't play defense maps anymore, they're really all the same and most are impossible without a full game of good players. Sometimes I play defense games if they're competitive, like who can clear all the levels first, since you don't need to rely on others. In other games, finding a non-rigged version is easy. Find a basic layout of any map from someone else (that isn't locked) and edit any rigs out of it. That's the basis of most of my maps, I look at what others have made, borrow some of the stuff, and rewrite the rest. Of course, when I do that I have to give credit to the original map's creator(s) but it's far easier that way. Most of the maps I play were made by me, since I know they're fair (and they are fair, I hate rigging it since it makes it pointless to win, no big accomplishment there.)

I'm going to go out and buy a new game soon, so I hope to see a few of you out there.

Posted by Xero

For the rare time I use to go on b.net, I was playin 2v6 comps (micro jail some times.) or i'd play a 1 on 1 real playa. I tried with more real playa, but as I said, too rushy. :devil:

It's all about the UMS maps online. That's where you get most of the real fun/challenges.

Posted by Xero

Ummm...I cannot remeber UMS maps...Can you give me a hint? :devil:

Ah! you mean use map settings! Yeah! Witch ones do you play the most? :devil:

Posted by Crazy K

I hope there is going to be a Starcraft 2. I barely play any computer games. So I would most definetally get SC2.

Quoting Flame ghost: Ummm...I cannot remeber UMS maps...Can you give me a hint? :devil:

Ah! you mean use map settings! Yeah! Witch ones do you play the most? :devil:

Golems and Ling Blood are two favorites. I play God's Paradise too (I'm usualy forced to be God since everyone else blows at it.) I like RPG games on it too, but they're usualy far too long and I don't get to complete them.

Above all else though, I love my personalized Cat&Mouse Map(s). If you can find someone with Cat&Mouse Sheer Numbers (preferably version 2) you should try it, it's my masterpiece. Unfortunately, it never got very popular since Crystal Wars debuted about the same time. Anyway, when I get back on I'll re-launch my maps into the b.net community, since they've likely lost all popularity by now.

Quoting Crazy K: I hope there is going to be a Starcraft 2. I barely play any computer games. So I would most definetally get SC2.

Until SC loses play, and people stop buying new copies, tey have no reason to release a new one.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Crazy K: I hope there is going to be a Starcraft 2. I barely play any computer games. So I would most definetally get SC2.

Isen't SC brood war the SC 2? :devil:

Posted by TheMooChicken

No, it is an EXPANSION PACK, far too many people mess that one up.Expansion packs simply add onto the game, kind of like a huge patch. Almost every blizzard computer game made has had one, with the exception of wc (as far as I know).

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting TheMooChicken: No, it is an EXPANSION PACK, far too many people mess that one up.Expansion packs simply add onto the game, kind of like a huge patch. Almost every blizzard computer game made has had one, with the exception of wc (as far as I know).

erm, Warcraft II had an expansion (forgot the name now) and III has The Frozen Throne, Warcraft I likely had one as well

Posted by Xero

Quoting TheMooChicken: No, it is an EXPANSION PACK, far too many people mess that one up.Expansion packs simply add onto the game, kind of like a huge patch. Almost every blizzard computer game made has had one, with the exception of wc (as far as I know).

Then SC ghost is the SC 2??? I'm sure theres one! :devil:

Posted by Fiindil

I think SC Ghost is supposed to be based on Starcraft (hence the name) but I don't think it's SC2

Posted by Xero

So finally, all SC games are SC 1...Well...I guess its a unique case, cuz Warcraft and Diablo have I,II (for Diablo) and I,II,III (for Warcraft).

:devil:

No... Starcraft Ghost is as close to SC 2 as any game can get, but it's an entirely different kind of game. It's actualy a Third Person Stealth Adventure set in the Starcraft Universe, where you play as a ghost named Nova. I have seen some stuff about it in the Starcraft webpage, but I don't really know much. Hey... did that game even come out yet?

Quoted post: I have seen some stuff about it in the Starcraft webpage, but I don't really know much. Hey... did that game even come out yet?

Nope. Delayed, delayed, delayed. They are having problems getting someone to finish the game up. It keeps switching hands. People consider it to be the next Duke Nuckem Forever.

Posted by Xero

I hate when games are delayed! I'm exited for that game, but it seems i'll never come! :devil:

Quoted post: It's actualy a FPS set in the Starcraft Universe, where you play as a ghost named Nova (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Oh, and it's not an FPS. It's a third person stealth-adventure.

Oh and Flame Ghost: http://cube.ign.com/articles/586/586993p1.html

Oh, my mistake. I haven't seen it in a while, so i'm probably wrong... I'll fix my post up.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire:

Oh and Flame Ghost: http://cube.ign.com/articles/586/586993p1.html

???So???What was that about? :devil:

Posted by TheMooChicken

Quoting Fiindil: erm, Warcraft II had an expansion (forgot the name now) and III has The Frozen Throne, Warcraft I likely had one as well

WcII's expansion was tides of darkness, as far as I know. And in saying WC I meant Warcraft Humans and Orcs, whihc is the first.

Quoting Flame ghost: So finally, all SC games are SC 1...Well...I guess its a unique case, cuz Warcraft and Diablo have I,II (for Diablo) and I,II,III (for Warcraft).

:devil:

Wc and WcII came out before Diablo (I do believe) and then SC, the DII/LOD and the WcIII/Frozen Throne. So SC/Bws isn't that unique, they just haven't gotten around to making a second. And as Vampiro said, Starcraft is getting more than enough playage to keep blizzard from releasing a second. Why take away from sales?

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting TheMooChicken: WcII's expansion was tides of darkness, as far as I know. And in saying WC I meant Warcraft Humans and Orcs, whihc is the first.

Tides of Darkness was the title of the game itself, I think the expansion was something portal, Beyond the Dark Portal or something?

Starcraft is still getting playage because it's still a great game! (albeit, not always on B.Net, .... barracks rushers >:()

I've already said it but... just play the UMS maps, they're usualy more fun anyway.

Posted by TheMooChicken

Shhhhh... Correct you are, sir. I just took a few seconds to check my WcII Battle chest, and it is indeed Beyond the Dark Portal. And why about ling rushes? Ling rushes tend to be far more deadly than Marine rushes, if used correctly.

Posted by Xero

Its been said before, but I say it again, UMS maps are better and more fun, cuz its extrem! Melee is too rushy and long.
The only weakness with UMS is that people leave or s/uck (sry). I never beat a sunken colony (or I think once I did), but every day I come back to improve and hope people will stay!
Does that happen to you Death-by-minnow? :devil:

Of course, but it's that golden game that comes about every 4 or 5 that kicks *ss that makes UMS maps worth it. I WILL get back into that sometime... someday...

Posted by Xero

hmm...I've played a SNIPERZ game recently, and I think its my new top favorite UMS game. Its fun and funny. I jump on my chair every time I get shot. At least, in these type of games people dont leave...

Posted by gohanss43

i dont kno i have never played but ya linkin park all the wayywwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :devil: :devil: :devil:

Posted by cool gamer dad

Does anyone good want to play a few games? The account is s.tinger.

Posted by Saruman

I used to play sc all the time. I haven't played it in ages.

I dont have a fav race but I would go Mass BC with Terran, Mass Hydra with Zerg, and Mass Goons, or Carriers with Toss.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Saruman: I used to play sc all the time. I haven't played it in ages.

I dont have a fav race but I would go Mass BC with Terran, Mass Hydra with Zerg, and Mass Goons, or Carriers with Toss.

These are all good strats, but the BC takes a while... If you need to rush with the terrans, then you should take tanks+ marine, firebats+medics. Makes it kinda hard, or mass wraith.

I love it when people throw mass in front of a unit name and call it a strategy. That's really a lack of strategy. Strategy would be compsing a balanced force of several kinds of units and managing them so that they don't run into the wrong battles at the wring times. Not that anyone does that or anything.

I still haven't gotten around to getting the game again, but when I do... there'll be Hell to pay.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Death-By-Minnow: I love it when people throw mass in front of a unit name and call it a strategy. That's really a lack of strategy. Strategy would be compsing a balanced force of several kinds of units and managing them so that they don't run into the wrong battles at the wring times. Not that anyone does that or anything.

I still haven't gotten around to getting the game again, but when I do... there'll be Hell to pay.

Well..If your a good player, your defence is gonna be good. If you dont mass your attack, then you wont get trought the ennemy, thought.

My first useless start that I got when I was playing against comps, was 12 guardiens and 12 devourers, but I quickly realize that it wasen't really usefull against REAL players.

Posted by Dreadnought

Wraith swarm to infinity(cloaked, of course)!

But seriously, Zerg are vastly superior to all other life forms.

Posted by Xero

Um...No...I think all races have their advantages. The zerg's units dont take a lot of space (overlord uses) and don't cost a lot of money, but their HP is quite sucky. A zergling has 35 of HP... A siege tank would kill it in one shot and a group of 12 would destroy a bunker, but not 2 (I think)
The protoss cost a lot of maney and have many upgrades, but their HP is high and they have a shield that can get back to max. You even have a Shield battery building. They also attack hard (zealot=16, dragoon=20, dark templar kills a zergling in 1 shot and a hydralisk in 2 shots) They also have high templars that could get ride of mass attacks (sry death-by-minnow). They also can build faster, if they have the money, cuz it only takes a probe, and he builds everything. With the zergs, you need a new probe everytime, so add 50$ to each building. The zergs also have to own many hatcheries to be able to create units quickly. If you have 1, you will have to wait for 3 larvas to get back, and a hatchery still cost 300$ + the drone to create it.
The terrans have the tanks and the battlecruisers that are powerfull units and they have medics to send as an opening attack (scouts) They have nukes. The only problem with powerfull units, is that they cost a lot of money (battlecruiser=400$+300 gas and an intire supply of 8).

In conclusion, I dont think the zergs are the most powerful. I think the creators made it so that all the races are equal.

When I said using different units instead of massing one unit, I didn't mean use only small amounts. You still need lots of units, but try using lots of DIFFERENT units. For example, with zerg: Ultralisks rule at taking damage. There's no way around that, they take a lot. Hydralisks deal a lot of damage, and can take out pesky air units. Zerglings rape anything that doesn't shoot back. Try sending in a group or two of ultras (3 if you're rich) followed closely by a few groups of hydras. Once they're all in combat, send in the lings to finish the raping. If this fails it's most likely because the enemy had lots of high damage units, or maybe high templars. Similar ideas can be applied to any race, you just need to make adjustments based on unit strengths and weaknesses.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Death-By-Minnow: When I said using different units instead of massing one unit, I didn't mean use only small amounts. You still need lots of units, but try using lots of DIFFERENT units. For example, with zerg: Ultralisks rule at taking damage. There's no way around that, they take a lot. Hydralisks deal a lot of damage, and can take out pesky air units. Zerglings rape anything that doesn't shoot back. Try sending in a group or two of ultras (3 if you're rich) followed closely by a few groups of hydras. Once they're all in combat, send in the lings to finish the raping. If this fails it's most likely because the enemy had lots of high damage units, or maybe high templars. Similar ideas can be applied to any race, you just need to make adjustments based on unit strengths and weaknesses.

hum...Well, zerglings would be good against tanks, cuz the tanks wont be able to hit back. You said 2 ultras (3 if i'm rich) If I understand, your talking about the campaigns, cuz when I go on battle.net, I usually take maps with 1 mineral field with 50000$ in it. 2 ultras against real players will be totally useless. You could have like a gang of 12+12 devourer to slow air units+hydralisks if your ultras eventually die. I wouln't send zerglings, unless I attack the terrans, cuz tanks will go fast on killing my ultras. I I attack the protosses, I'd send a small gang of hydralisk for the high templars, so they get can't send me psionic storms when i'll attack with my REAL gang. What do you think?

I'm speaking about full groups. 2 or three GROUPS of ultras. that's a big difference.
(You know what I mean by groups right? the doaen units you can assign to numbers 0-9?)

As for your plan, I really can't say how well it'd work. Although I have my old ideas, I haven't palyed in so long that I don't know what works on people anymore. Besides, if I play again I'm going straight to the UMS maps.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Death-By-Minnow: I'm speaking about full groups. 2 or three GROUPS of ultras. that's a big difference.
(You know what I mean by groups right? the doaen units you can assign to numbers 0-9?)

As for your plan, I really can't say how well it'd work. Although I have my old ideas, I haven't palyed in so long that I don't know what works on people anymore. Besides, if I play again I'm going straight to the UMS maps.

Yeah! The groups, I know. Shift-1,2,3... Well thats better. As for UMS maps, try a SNIPERZ. You'll have fun.

Posted by catchh

I agree with flameghost on the fisrt, opening post he started with. Starcraft is an awsome game. It is sort of an old game, but it's very enjoyable. I'm not sure why they naver made any other starcraft game, that i know of anyways, lol. I was playing the original starcraft, not the expansion, not too long ago, and i started ep 2, ther zerg. I was on the second lvl, which is a mostly easy lvl, one would think. the one where you have to take the young crysalis to the wayypoint or the other name for those indicated locations, lol. i tried every unit and none of them could cary it, i thought the game was messing up. I was getting aggravated. I had realized that i wasn't even thinking about the drones, lol. obviously you need the have a drone carry it down.

Posted by 007 ninja

NOT ENOUGH PSI. BUILD MORE PYLONS.

Posted by TheMooChicken

Need more overlords!!!!

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Flame ghost: Um...No...I think all races have their advantages. The zerg's units dont take a lot of space (overlord uses) and don't cost a lot of money, but their HP is quite sucky. A zergling has 35 of HP... A siege tank would kill it in one shot and a group of 12 would destroy a bunker, but not 2 (I think)
The protoss cost a lot of maney and have many upgrades, but their HP is high and they have a shield that can get back to max. You even have a Shield battery building. They also attack hard (zealot=16, dragoon=20, dark templar kills a zergling in 1 shot and a hydralisk in 2 shots) They also have high templars that could get ride of mass attacks (sry death-by-minnow). They also can build faster, if they have the money, cuz it only takes a probe, and he builds everything. With the zergs, you need a new probe everytime, so add 50$ to each building. The zergs also have to own many hatcheries to be able to create units quickly. If you have 1, you will have to wait for 3 larvas to get back, and a hatchery still cost 300$ + the drone to create it.
The terrans have the tanks and the battlecruisers that are powerfull units and they have medics to send as an opening attack (scouts) They have nukes. The only problem with powerfull units, is that they cost a lot of money (battlecruiser=400$+300 gas and an intire supply of 8).

In conclusion, I dont think the zergs are the most powerful. I think the creators made it so that all the races are equal.
An expert Terran would beat an expert Zerg. An expert Terran would beat an expert Protoss.

Terran's the best race. It's just way freaking harder to use than their other friends.

Posted by Anomylech625

Do you play on battle.net? If so do you enjoy "money" (fastest possible map) or "non money" (Lost Temple) or other maps that are popular such as Zero Clutter, or Big Game Hunters

Posted by Hannibal King

I thing the Protoss are the best, simply because the Dark Archon can take ove units. I always take over a builder from the zerg and terran and creat a vast empire and an unstoppible army ;)

Posted by TheMooChicken

Usually pulling that off in a non-money map (Fastest, BGH, etc) takes a hell of a lot of skill, and also requires more resources than most maps have, so that isn't always a advantage. Dark Archons are good for other reasons too, feedback can wipe a ghost in a single hit, kill a medic, and other such units. You can also Maelstrom (shpeeling) massive zergs of units (I play WoW too much), of say... zerglings, hydras, zealots, and then Psy storm them to death. But Archons in general are weak against a smart Terran player. One blast from EMP and those Archons, dark and otherwise, are killable by just about anything with range.

Quoting catchh: I agree with flameghost on the fisrt, opening post he started with. Starcraft is an awsome game. It is sort of an old game, but it's very enjoyable. I'm not sure why they naver made any other starcraft game, that i know of anyways, lol.

I believe Starcraft: Ghost is in production now, but it's making really slow progress and no one knows when it will actualy be released. Check out the website if you want to know.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Yes it is, it has been. It was premiered at the E3 convention (or w/e) I think. Well Starcraft is a great game, I have played it for a long time now. My favorite races are Zerg and protoss, i like terran for nukes, thats all. Flame you say its 1 mineral thing with $50k? Its actually about 50 mineral chunks stacked on one, along with 3,4, or 5 vespene gas geysers at each side (Fastest map, and Zero clutter) And hydra's suck again high temps, there like the worst units against them, 80 health? and there ranged. Psi storm kills them in 3 seconds, and mass wraiths is deadly against bc's but not against fully upgraded corsairs or Valkyries. And out of my expierance, i'd say that Melee is alot more fun then UMS, Ums gets boring after a while and melee seems like the only thing fun when ums is boring. There is nothing more fun then beating a person on battle.net in a melee match because you get such an adrenaline rush out of it.

Good strategies with Zerg would be what Death-by-minnow said. Defilers with hydra's is a great combo also. Plague works great again units with low health. Or massed air in one little fleet, like how air units hover over eachother when in pacts.Good protoss strategies would be like 3 dark archons (for maelstrom), like 10 archons, 5 high temps (psi storm) 20 Zealots, and like 30 dragoons. If you want fast minerals and gas in a money map (Such as Zero Clut and Fastest) Get like 30 probes/drones/SCV's on minerals and 3 workers on each vespene gas geyser. Highest mins i've had at the end of a match was in Zero clutter, 73,000 Minerals and 68,000 Gas, I won that match also as Protoss. Zerg partner massed Gaurdians and Zerglings (Lings for good buildings damage, got them after we slaughtered enemy units) other partner massed Dragoons. I mass Dragoons, Zealots, and Dark templars. Oh and hear is a tip, if ever facing a terran computer in a money map, getting something cloaked (such as a dark templar and a lurker) Should take it out, they don't get detectors. If ever facing a person on battle.net, get defence first, to prevent rushes. Then start getting units, (20 cannons, 15 sunkens and 5 spores, walled supply depots with bunkers should do the trick for defence). Oh and if facing a good player, they will just plow through defence with carriers, or gaurdians, Or even battlecruisers.

A good strategy in a multiplayer match (3v3 Zer clut mostly) would be if your zerg, facing one other zerg. Make masses of zerglings hydra's, or whatever good ground unit, and send about 10 overlords directly into the opponents base (Make sure you have a Nydus canal). Or use one of you partners observers (Cloaked protoss air unit) to see so it looks less suspicious, and build a nydus canal exit on your enemies creep. It works real well and sometimes doesn't work, but if it does work, Your opponent is usually overwhelmed and leaves. Oh yeah, Death-By-minnow, 3 groups of ultra's would most likely take up all your supplies. Terran nuking is best effective at on defence at the side. If the player sucks, you can sneak into there base with a fake attack and a dropship. One more tip, in a NR 15 or 20 game in Zeroclut 3v3, Make units quickly. Map will max, and don't make valkyries, when there is too many units they don't attack because the lag.

I hope all my information helped you to play better.
My account name in ZeroXOmega[m] on USeast. I have to reinstall SC since I ran system recovery on friday and my friend has my disc. So i'll probably be on wednesday or thursday.

I haven't played in a while so I lack in-depth strategyies. Then again, I usualy just asessed my opponents units and buildings and made stuff accordingly. It's really fun to get people into thinking you're a junky for one kind of unit (cheap units are better for that, since you waste less cash) and then unleashing the exact opposite, or something that beats the crap out of whatever he had been using to fend them off. This works better in some of the UMS maps though, since in a meelee they'll proabably just start massing capital ships (or in zerg's case, just get the big guns.)

I have one disageement on the defiler/hydra idea though. If your enemy has meelee attackers, you're going to be hurting yourself more than helping. I would suggest lings or ultras (or both) with that, and just ignore all the non-meelee units in favor of nailing key buildings (pylons, command centers, unit builders, upgrade centers, important links to high-level buildings.) I used to nail several players in a row with the same army that way... ahh the glory days. For a race that's centered around inexpensive troops, it's funny that they got one of the best defensive abilities.

Last thing: P*ss off Terran players by plaguing buildings, especialy cumps where SCVs can't get to the middle ones (Supply Depots) and watch them burn themselves down after 2 hits.

Posted by Zeratul

I dont think Starcraft: Ghost is gonna be all that great, they basically turned the first two Starcrafts into a third-person shooter game.

Plauging the terran command center is a great strategy, then creat a mass of infected terran to attack the rest of em' Think of it as suicide bombing the hell out of your opponet

Posted by NightmareBassX

I didn't say that there would only be hydra's. I just said that it works well. But a plagueing the Command center then just running in with 10 muta's through the side and targetting works well I guess, but I love nydus canals.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Stinger: An expert Terran would beat an expert Zerg. An expert Terran would beat an expert Protoss.

Terran's the best race. It's just way freaking harder to use than their other friends.

You are right. I should be able to beat an expert protoss, but its really not easy.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Protoss is the easiest to learn, but the hardest to "master". But after a certain level of skill, Terran becomes a bit overpowered unless you get on them EARLY on in the game. Otherwise they'll just tech drops and tanks, vultures, or whatever.

I'm a Zerg player, and I always have been. : / I'll usually scout quick, steal gas, then tech mutas or lurks while harassing with lings. We need to play a few games sometime.

Quoting Zeratul: I dont think Starcraft: Ghost is gonna be all that great, they basically turned the first two Starcrafts into a third-person shooter game.

Plauging the terran command center is a great strategy, then creat a mass of infected terran to attack the rest of em' Think of it as suicide bombing the hell out of your opponet

You play 3v3 BGH, don't you? :p:

Posted by Xero

Quoting Stinger: Protoss is the easiest to learn, but the hardest to "master". But after a certain level of skill, Terran becomes a bit overpowered unless you get on them EARLY on in the game. Otherwise they'll just tech drops and tanks, vultures, or whatever.

I'm a Zerg player, and I always have been. : / I'll usually scout quick, steal gas, then tech mutas or lurks while harassing with lings. We need to play a few games sometime.:

Yeah well...protoss cost a lot of money. the basic attack unit (zealot) costs 100 and takes 2 supplies. You just gotta know what your doing with them...and be fast...

Posted by cool gamer dad

Quoting Flame ghost: Yeah well...protoss cost a lot of money. the basic attack unit (zealot) costs 100 and takes 2 supplies. You just gotta know what your doing with them...and be fast...

Precisely. :)

Posted by Xero

Zergs are costly in defence majorly. Their supplies arent used up fast, so its easy to mass attack with them. You can send zerglings fairly quickly and nuke your opponent.

Posted by project101

Quoting Flame ghost: I've been playing this game for a while. I still love it! Its just fun! I know some might think its old, but the game is still really popular. This is gonna be general starcraft talk, nothing ELSE! I'd like to know your favorite race (mine is zerg). You favorite unit. (mine is the Dark Archon). :devil:

Uhh not to be a jack *** or any thing but your post sorta contridicts its slef by you saying your favorite race is the Zerg and your favortie unit is the dark archon wich can kick the zergz @$$ but any way y favorite race would have to be protoss and zerg I know not suppose to choose two but so what and my favorite unit would be zealots and hydralisk

ANY ONE WANTS TO PLAY MY GAME TAG IS !!!!!!!!

Avalanche101

Posted by Xero

Now calm down project. Usually the members that say that are pretty bad at the game ;)

Posted by project101

oh im terrible at the game but i love it

Posted by Xero

Dont worry, you'll get better with time ;)

Posted by Richaod

I used to be completely obsessed with StarCraft; it's definitely one of the most influential RTSs ever made, up to the point where it's still more playable than many new RTS games and it's practically Korea's national sport. :p

I just played it today at a LAN cafe and I feel like playing it again. :)

By the way, Zergling rushes (with Adrenal glands of course) own everything.

And Carriers absolutely pwn Battlecruisers, as I discovered when I attempted to use twelve Battlecruisers again only about six Carriers. :(

Posted by Slade

I never play as Protoss unless I'm just screwing around or I am playing someone with very little experience. If you have a really long time to get a lot of units, then you are about unstoppable, but I always go with the Zerg. Fast, efficient, and cuddly.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Richaod]I used to be completely obsessed with StarCraft; it's definitely one of the most influential RTSs ever made, up to the point where it's still more playable than many new RTS games and it's practically Korea's national sport. :p

And Carriers absolutely pwn Battlecruisers, as I discovered when I attempted to use twelve Battlecruisers again only about six Carriers. :(
you can't rush adrenal gland lings 8-)

But you should totally start playing on Bnet again. Just PM me or something if you'd like to play a few.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Richaod: And Carriers absolutely pwn Battlecruisers, as I discovered when I attempted to use twelve Battlecruisers again only about six Carriers. :(

Yamato cannon, n00b.

Posted by cool gamer dad

lol and plus... How on earth can a game be dragged out that long?

Posted by TheMooChicken

[quote=Richaod]I used to be completely obsessed with StarCraft; it's definitely one of the most influential RTSs ever made, up to the point where it's still more playable than many new RTS games and it's practically Korea's national sport. :p

Hmm, I always though the BC owned the carrier, did you just let the BCs attack, or focus your fire on a single carrier. The AI in SC seems rather dumb, and just attacks the interceptors, rather than the Carriers.

Posted by muffla

im not that great but i just make alot of marines and battle curzers with the marines been along time since i played so dnt yell at me if i made names wrong

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Richaod]

Its called upgrading your BC's and focusing their shots on the Carriers. I've beaten 12 Carriers with 12 BCs easily.

Unfortunatley, as anyone who has played online knows, the Zerg and the Terran are vastly inferior to the Protoss. 20 Photon cannons can be rebuilt in seconds, the 50 Zerglings or Marines they kill cannot. And Carriers, cheap as they may seem, can crush any other defence, no matter how strong it seems.

I find "Use Map Settings" gamesto be far more fun. They are much more original, and are constantly entertaining.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=GameMiestro]Its called upgrading your BC's and focusing their shots on the Carriers. I've beaten 12 Carriers with 12 BCs easily.

Unfortunatley, as anyone who has played online knows, the Zerg and the Terran are vastly inferior to the Protoss. 20 Photon cannons can be rebuilt in seconds, the 50 Zerglings or Marines they kill cannot. And Carriers, cheap as they may seem, can crush any other defence, no matter how strong it seems.

I find "Use Map Settings" gamesto be far more fun. They are much more original, and are constantly entertaining.
:(

VERY not true. As far as expert competitive play, Zerg is pretty inferior, save a few good Zerg players (hi JulyZerg). Protoss is only good if you, as a starcraft player, are REALLY good with them and have been playing Protoss for six years. Protoss, again, are the hardest to play. What does that have to do with thir max potential? Well... Nobody's actually reached that point yet.

Currently, in the competitive scene, Terran is by far the most dominant. There has never, in the last five years (from what I know), been a major tournament champion that wasn't a Terran player.

EDIT: And guys, lay off of the Carriers. They're almost never used in 1v1, and very rarely in 2v2.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Stinger: But you should totally start playing on Bnet again. Just PM me or something if you'd like to play a few.

Sorry to bump, btw.

My CD drive is screwed and I have a pirated version of StarCraft, but not Brood War. The other thing is that I patched SC to the latest version, but there are no cracks for it. :P

Concerning the Battlecruiser/Carrier thing, I still think Carriers are better. If you focus Carrier fire on single Battlecruisers, it's probably better than if you do the reverse with Battlecruisers.

Oh, and a description of our two LAN StarCraft games today.

1st game: Protoss (Richaod), Protoss (higbvuyb I think), Terran and Zerg vs. Protoss, Zerg, Terran and Terran... I think. Normal speed.

My strategy: all-out race to get Carriers. Basically, I built very few Zealots, Dragoons and static defense and basically drew a straight line towards the Fleet Beacon. I had a second base for Vespene Gas harvesting in no time, and very soon had four Stargates constantly pumping out Carriers and Interceptors. Basically, I had something like 18 by the time the game ended (which was very abruptly). I razed one enemy Zerg base ridiculously quickly, I think, but everyone else seemed to have been more offensive than me. My main base got Zergling-spammed twice towards the end, but the game ended before I could totally pwn the second group with my Carriers.

Result: we win, no one wants to let me use Carriers anymore. :( Forced to switch to Zerg.

Second match: Zerg (me), Terran and Protoss versus the same matchup (higbvuyb being the opposite Zerg player)

I focused mostly on expansion, Zerglings (not to mention the Overlords needed to transport them... all bases in this level were separated by air) and Mutalisks. By the time I was ready for anything, our Terran player had already been nuclear struck twice, with Carriers and Battlecruisers basically cleaning up. He lasted almost until the end though; he had one small base left, at which I asked him to severely damage his own Command Center, which I promptly infested. :P I churned out a couple of Infested Terrans, but I didn't move the Command Center at all, and I lost it soon after. He hid some units and buildings next to my main base later.

I soon attempted to raze one vulnerable Protoss base with huge Zergling/Mutalisk swarms in order to cause a distraction, but both were dominated by Carrier/Battlecruiser combos. I was doing fine with 36 Mutalisks though, until higbvuyb's Scourge showed up. Instant death. :( They actually forgot about my remaining Zerglings though (about a quarter of them had been killed already, but they weren't doing anything because my micromanagement isn't too great :P), but I soon reminded them by destroying a third of the Protoss base with the remainder. But then the Carriers and Battlecruisers returned to pick me off.

Then the three enemy armies came to destroy our two remaining bases. The Protoss player was far too occupied to give me any assistance, and I really hadn't recovered from my previous losses. So I got pwned, but I moved some of my Drones to a large field of resources in the middle in order to make a last stand. I basically made a Hatchery, got some Drones mining and built masses of Spore Colonies with most of my Drones in the hope that I'd kill something. They arrived sooner than I expected though, and I didn't quite have enough Spore Colonies to deal enough damage (like that would've worked anyway). Loss.

Lesson learned: play Protoss (I'm okay with Terran too) more often. I suggested that next time everyone play Protoss, if they think Carrier spamming is so cheap. Which it's not; it certainly takes time to get to.

Posted by GameMiestro

I have played Protoss for a very long time, and am an expert as "fastest map ever" games, which are the most common games being played. 6-12 Dark Archons make a virtually invincible defence force if used correctly. I'm suprised how many people get killed by Zerg rushes, they obviously haven't heard of a little thing called Maelstrom.

Terrans have a problem with defence, as you simpily cannot create a grid of bunkers the way you can with Photon Cannons and Sunken Colonies.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=GameMiestro]I have played Protoss for a very long time, and am an expert as "fastest map ever" games, which are the most common games being played.
Huh... Well problem solved. Noob map. :)

Play with an expert Terran 1v1 Lost Temple and give me the results. 8-) I'll start saving replays (actually I have one right now that I can post). It's a game of me (a good Zerg) vs. a decent but random Terran player. Terran is just way too versatile.

Really, the only way to beat a Terran is to cut their economy off, which will result in long, dragged-out games. Get agressive against one, and you'll have six science vessels, tanks, and marines & medics in your jock.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting GameMiestro: I have played Protoss for a very long time, and am an expert as "fastest map ever" games, which are the most common games being played. 6-12 Dark Archons make a virtually invincible defence force if used correctly. I'm suprised how many people get killed by Zerg rushes, they obviously haven't heard of a little thing called Maelstrom.

Terrans have a problem with defence, as you simpily cannot create a grid of bunkers the way you can with Photon Cannons and Sunken Colonies.

An effective use of Maelstrom? Interesting... I'd have thought more people would use Psionic Storm instead.

Defence problem, hey? Generally, good players recommend spending as little resources as possible on "static" defense like bunkers, sunken colonies, etc. as, for example, if you use the same amount resources on static defense as your opponent uses on unit production, you're obviously not going to benefit as much.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting GameMiestro: I have played Protoss for a very long time, and am an expert as "fastest map ever" games, which are the most common games being played. 6-12 Dark Archons make a virtually invincible defence force if used correctly. I'm suprised how many people get killed by Zerg rushes, they obviously haven't heard of a little thing called Maelstrom.
Zerg rushes are onyl useful in the start of the game. When you don't have dark archons.

[quote]Terrans have a problem with defence, as you simpily cannot create a grid of bunkers the way you can with Photon Cannons and Sunken Colonies.

Incorrect. Terrans, in fact, are the force most likely to 'turtle', due to excellent static defenses like missile turrets, and siege tanks.

Posted by Xero

Quoting higbvuyb: Zerg rushes are onyl useful in the start of the game. When you don't have dark archons.

Incorrect. Terrans, in fact, are the force most likely to 'turtle', due to excellent static defenses like missile turrets, and siege tanks

Indeed, zerg are good to rush in general. Dark archons, I dont use them a lot, cuz aside from mind control, I dont find them too usefull, my opinion.

Terrans are indeed really good at defence. The issil turrets have a low HP, but they attack quickly. The seige tanks can kill a ground attack easily when they are numerous. Bunkers, I dont usually make a lot of hem, cuz its cost 4 supply each and I usually make battle cruisers.

Posted by GameMiestro

In the amount of time it takes to make 9 sunken colonies or 9 photon cannons, you can make 3 bunkers filled with marines. The 3 bunkers can quickly be crushed with 12 zealots, while the cannons and colonies can not.

Having to maintain 3 types of units- Siege Tanks, Missle Turrets, and Bunkers, (not to mention protective Supply Depots) is very expensive. Unless you have a large Ghost squad (okay, MAYBE with Medics and Goliaths, if you can aim fast) at the ready, no Terran defence can possibly withstand a Carrier/Arbiter combination. Not only that, Guardians can easily crush Terran defences, especially with Devourer backup.

Also, "fastest map ever" games are not "noob" maps, they're just there for people like me, who find the normal maps boring. The majority of Starcraft players must think that as well, as this type of game is constantly used. People who like slow maps should increase their horizons.

Posted by Xero

Quoting GameMiestro: In the amount of time it takes to make 9 sunken colonies or 9 photon cannons, you can make 3 bunkers filled with marines. The 3 bunkers can quickly be crushed with 12 zealots, while the cannons and colonies can not.

Having to maintain 3 types of units- Siege Tanks, Missle Turrets, and Bunkers, (not to mention protective Supply Depots) is very expensive. Unless you have a large Ghost squad (okay, MAYBE with Medics and Goliaths, if you can aim fast) at the ready, no Terran defence can possibly withstand a Carrier/Arbiter combination. Not only that, Guardians can easily crush Terran defences, especially with Devourer backup.

Also, "fastest map ever" games are not "noob" maps, they're just there for people like me, who find the normal maps boring. The majority of Starcraft players must think that as well, as this type of game is constantly used. People who like slow maps should increase their horizons.

About the bunker defence, your entirely right. Zealots have a strong attack (16) so yes, they can nuke pretty much 3 bunkers with low losses.

Yes, the terran defence is expensive, but the sunken colonies cost a lot of money as well and you need a lot for a good defence. (price is 175 minerals I think)The phontons arent better since they have low HP. Numerous they rock, but they still need pylons all around and cost 150$ plus they take a while to create.

Fastest map ever has never been for n00bs. If I said that before, I'm not agreeing with that anymore. When you have a lot of ressources in a game, you get attacked really hard by other good players, so its not easy at all.

Posted by GameMiestro

Also, a big difference is the I play on 6-8 player melee's where you can either kill or get killed.

Terran IS playable in fast maps, but it is quite hard. You need to make a ton of wraiths, cloak them, and slam them at the enemy. This is even easier if you take out enemy defence structures with Siege Tanks from across the river dividers.

Finally, it is possible to win in any stage of the game with a Zerg rush, if you know how to use Defilers properly...

Posted by Xero

Quoting GameMiestro: Also, a big difference is the I play on 6-8 player melee's where you can either kill or get killed.

Terran IS playable in fast maps, but it is quite hard. You need to make a ton of wraiths, cloak them, and slam them at the enemy. This is even easier if you take out enemy defence structures with Siege Tanks from across the river dividers.

Finally, it is possible to win in any stage of the game with a Zerg rush, if you know how to use Defilers properly...

6-8 players melee is not fun, cuz if you attack someone, then you gotta pay attention tov your base and go back sometimes if you need to. If your attack fails, your basically screwed. I prefere teams...of 2-4 generally.

I know terran is playable, but for being fast, its another thing. I usually make battlecruisers and thats quite long to make. If I make seige tanks, I gotta send wraith with them, so You never can rush with terrans...unless you use marines, but the zealots can nuke them quite easily and the zerglings are good too to counter them...

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Flame ghost]6-8 players melee is not fun, cuz if you attack someone, then you gotta pay attention tov your base and go back sometimes if you need to. If your attack fails, your basically screwed. I prefere teams...of 2-4 generally.

I know terran is playable, but for being fast, its another thing. I usually make battlecruisers and thats quite long to make. If I make seige tanks, I gotta send wraith with them, so You never can rush with terrans...unless you use marines, but the zealots can nuke them quite easily and the zerglings are good too to counter them...

Thats what makes melees so hard. Remember, though, that your opponent has the same disadvantage- he cant send 20 carriers at you or his base will be wiped out. I also sometimes do 4 on 4 maps, but it's hard to keep the teams perfectly balanced. If even one person decides to leave... the game is ruined.

Ever try using a defensive matrix on a Ghost, then have him nuke the middle of an enemy base?

Posted by Xero

Quoting GameMiestro: Thats what makes melees so hard. Remember, though, that your opponent has the same disadvantage- he cant send 20 carriers at you or his base will be wiped out. I also sometimes do 4 on 4 maps, but it's hard to keep the teams perfectly balanced. If even one person decides to leave... the game is ruined.

Ever try using a defensive matrix on a Ghost, then have him nuke the middle of an enemy base?

About melee, I agree with you. we are all taking risks attacking. We need to be sure of are attack and the ennemies's base.

As for the teams, I also agree. The teams are rarely balanced. We always have someone lagging or leavin...or just sucking...

I did try this and I see many players doin it too, but last time I used it, the photons detected me...I never tried it on zergs...

Posted by GameMiestro

Theres a lot of really bizzare strategies I have seen out there. One person I met blocked is entry way with a wall of Archons and had Reavers right behind them. When an enemy attacked, he would statis all his Archons, and blast the enemies with his reavers. The Archons, of course, would be immune to all of this.

Pure genius.

Posted by Xero

Indeed this is a good startegie, but if the player attacks with air units, it becomes useless depending on the amount of archon he/she owns...

Posted by GameMiestro

Ever play Terran Test of Survival?

Bloody hard game...

Posted by Xero

No, sry.

As Use map setting games, I play:

Turret defence
Marine defence
Sunken defence
Bunker defence
Star phonton
Photon defence

etc...

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=GameMiestro]Also, "fastest map ever" games are not "noob" maps, they're just there for people like me, who find the normal maps boring. The majority of Starcraft players must think that as well, as this type of game is constantly used. People who like slow maps should increase their horizons.
Noob map. And you say the original and official maps are BORING? Fastest Possible Map is the most (by far), barren, detail-lacking map starcraft has ever seen. There are no ramps in your main base to strategicly block off. There is NO taking advantage of the map's physical features. You lose the entire economy aspect of the game. You no longer have to both control the units to workers ratio; multiple small-scale errors early game... no longer cost you. Later in the game, it's nearly impossible to go wrong in your spendings.

And standard maps are not "slow" maps. They're original, and it was how the game was intended to be played. Hell, Fastest Possible Map is not even an authentic starcraft custom map. In order to stack the minerals in campaign editor, you need mods. As for the majority of starcraft players, they've been sucked into these maps.

And with that, you cannot say that I need to "broaden my horrizons". With all that is missing from it's gameplay, how can you call it broadening?

Posted by Xero

Quoting Stinger: Noob map. And you say the original and official maps are BORING? Fastest Possible Map is the most (by far), barren, detail-lacking map starcraft has ever seen. There are no ramps in your main base to strategicly block off. There is NO taking advantage of the map's physical features. You lose the entire economy aspect of the game. You no longer have to both control the units to workers ratio; multiple small-scale errors early game... no longer cost you. Later in the game, it's nearly impossible to go wrong in your spendings.

And standard maps are not "slow" maps. They're original, and it was how the game was intended to be played. Hell, Fastest Possible Map is not even an authentic starcraft custom map. In order to stack the minerals in campaign editor, you need mods. As for the majority of starcraft players, they've been sucked into these maps.

Yes, this is true. The fastest map ever is meant to be fast, cuz you never need ressources, you got space and you can attack quickly with all these ressources, cuz you can create 100 barracks if you want and just keep creating.

The standards maps aren't slow maps if you are good at SC. If you can nuke the campaigns quickly, then you can be fast in a standard no problems.

Posted by cool gamer dad

[quote=Flame ghost]The standards maps aren't slow maps if you are good at SC. If you can nuke the campaigns quickly, then you can be fast in a standard no problems.
nooooo

ooo

The computers in campaign are triggered to attack at certain points of the game with the beginner player in mind. It doesn't help your economy game at all like it would online against someone of your skill level.

But yes, they are not "slow" maps if you're playing the game as it should be.
[URL="http://www.gosugamers.net"]http://www.gosugamers.net[/URL] < Go watch replays, people. :(

Posted by Xero

I know the computers are n00bs. They were programmed like that. They usually send you the same attack after a certain amount of time.

I just meant that you can train building fast and making quick attacks with a regular map.

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting Stinger: Noob map. And you say the original and official maps are BORING? Fastest Possible Map is the most (by far), barren, detail-lacking map starcraft has ever seen. There are no ramps in your main base to strategicly block off. There is NO taking advantage of the map's physical features. You lose the entire economy aspect of the game. You no longer have to both control the units to workers ratio; multiple small-scale errors early game... no longer cost you. Later in the game, it's nearly impossible to go wrong in your spendings.

And with that, you cannot say that I need to "broaden my horrizons". With all that is missing from it's gameplay, how can you call it broadening?

I said "increase", not "broaden", which means that you can keep what you already have but you should try new maps. There is several strategies that you can only employ correctly on Fastest maps- like creating a enourmous Carrier factory, attacking defences with Siege Tanks from across rivers, and setting up a wall of supply depots with bunkers behind. Theoretically, you could do them on normal maps, but you would probably use up all your minerals before you finish.

Without huge mineral deposits, Starcraft games can be endless- and if there is a winner, it is usually the one who doesn't run out minerals first. Any fairly good player can win simpily by setting up a large defence and waiting for his opponents minerals to run out.

The real problem lays behind the units stats- for example, Photon Cannons should be much more powerful, and Sunken Colonies should be less. Also, if units were not so stupid as to only attack Interceptors, games would be a lot more fair for the other races.

Finally, if you're going against 4 comps with 4 players, you're pretty much dead if all the comps decide to attack you with their opening troops. In Fastest maps, at least you have a chance.

Posted by cool gamer dad

Before you read this, please consider the following:

You're completely wrong about the game.

[quote=GameMiestro]I said "increase", not "broaden", which means that you can keep what you already have but you should try new maps.
aka. broaden

I've played Fastest Possible Map probably three to four times as much as you have. After almost eight years of playing Starcraft daily, I consider myself an authority on the game. :cool:

[quote=GameMiestro]There is several strategies that you can only employ correctly on Fastest maps- like creating a enourmous Carrier factory, attacking defences with Siege Tanks from across rivers, and setting up a wall of supply depots with bunkers behind. Theoretically, you could do them on normal maps, but you would probably use up all your minerals before you finish.

Without huge mineral deposits, Starcraft games can be endless- and if there is a winner, it is usually the one who doesn't run out minerals first. Any fairly good player can win simpily by setting up a large defence and waiting for his opponents minerals to run out.

The real problem lays behind the units stats- for example, Photon Cannons should be much more powerful, and Sunken Colonies should be less. Also, if units were not so stupid as to only attack Interceptors, games would be a lot more fair for the other races.

Finally, if you're going against 4 comps with 4 players, you're pretty much dead if all the comps decide to attack you with their opening troops. In Fastest maps, at least you have a chance.
There goes your entire argument right from the start. It sounds to me like you've never given Lost Temple more than a quick try. Otherwise you'd know that it's quite possible (not "theoretical") to block off your ramp with two supply depots and a barracks (it varies at each base). And therefore you could not possibly have any idea how the game is REALLY supposed to be played. You can say all you want. You've showed me that... you just don't know what you're talking about.

And yes, Starcraft games often DO go until someone basically runs out of minerals, but in contrast to what you may think: These are the very good games, and often shows that it was a match in which the players were of equal skill. But really, on a normal map, there's plenty of room for EXPANSION. Something the normal Fastest player would never think of.

And please, games cannot be won by bunkering up, because you're closing yourself off to expansion. You can't just sit in your base and wait. I laugh. Pleeeeease tell me you know that units can easilly be targeted on one carrier and not just the interceptors.

Posted by Xero

Quoting GameMiestro: There is several strategies that you can only employ correctly on Fastest maps- like creating a enourmous Carrier factory, attacking defences with Siege Tanks from across rivers, and setting up a wall of supply depots with bunkers behind. .

Attacking with seige tanks accross the river is useless. The river is too long. You cannot destroy the entire base with that strategie. You can only annoy the player thats gonna counter with air and kill you. Supply depots and bunker behind is usefull, but then again, thats easy to destroy. I bring battlecruisers or seige tanks or carriers or even guardiens and I nuke that defence.

Quoting GameMiestro: Without huge mineral deposits, Starcraft games can be endless- and if there is a winner, it is usually the one who doesn't run out minerals first. Any fairly good player can win simpily by setting up a large defence and waiting for his opponents minerals to run out.

Runnign outta minerals? By the time you run outta them, one player or computer will probably be destroyed, so you can gather HIS ressources. Theres always a way to stay alive. If you focus on the defence too much and remain in your base, you wont be able to invest a lot in your attack, so if YOUR attack fails, then its kinda draw...

Quoting GameMiestro: The real problem lays behind the units stats- for example, Photon Cannons should be much more powerful, and Sunken Colonies should be less. Also, if units were not so stupid as to only attack Interceptors, games would be a lot more fair for the other races.

Photon cannons are indeed not really powerfull, but when you have a lot they become usefull. Yes, they cost a lot. Thats a problem, but...thats how the game was created. The sunken should not be less powerfull, cuz I dont think they are really different from the bunker and the phonton. They have a high HP, yes, they have a high atack (40), but still! They cost 175$ (drone 50$, basic 75$, evolve 50$)And zealots can destroy them pretty fast.

Quoting GameMiestro: Finally, if you're going against 4 comps with 4 players, you're pretty much dead if all the comps decide to attack you with their opening troops. In Fastest maps, at least you have a chance

No you dont. They still attack you with big attacks. Its all about speed. Produce quickly and if they ALL attack you, ask your allies to help you. In any map comps can be deadly in the beginning.

Posted by cool gamer dad

I thought you were agreeing with him just a few posts ago.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Stinger: I thought you were agreeing with him just a few posts ago.

Yes, but I read his last post that I quoted, and now i'm not in agreement with him as much. I'm turning on your side, cuz your points are good.

Posted by Richaod

Just thought I'd show you guys a link, if you're interested...

[url=http://revolution.wc3campaigns.com/index.php]StarCraft mod for WarCraft III[/url]

This is being done entirely by a third party should be coming out some time next year, I think. The gallery's well worth a look; they've done a great job translating the original 2D images into fully 3D ones.

Some previews:
http://revolution.wc3campaigns.com/gallery/images/shotty3.jpg
http://revolution.wc3campaigns.com/gallery/images/ScreenShot2.jpg
http://revolution.wc3campaigns.com/gallery/images/sncscreenshot2.jpg
http://revolution.wc3campaigns.com/gallery/images/sncscreenshot2.jpg
http://revolution.wc3campaigns.com/gallery/images/screenshot.jpg

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting Flame ghost: Attacking with seige tanks accross the river is useless. The river is too long. You cannot destroy the entire base with that strategie. You can only annoy the player thats gonna counter with air and kill you. Supply depots and bunker behind is usefull, but then again, thats easy to destroy. I bring battlecruisers or seige tanks or carriers or even guardiens and I nuke that defence.

It doesn't matter how long the river is, it's how wide that matters. And when you have 5 siege tanks wipe out 20 photon cannons lined up on the edge of an opponents base, then yes, it is worth it, especialy considering that you can finish the player off with a lot of cloaked wraiths. I admit that this strategy can sometimes fail, but then again, so can any strategy.

[QUOTE]No you dont. They still attack you with big attacks. Its all about speed. Produce quickly and if they ALL attack you, ask your allies to help you. In any map comps can be deadly in the beginning.

Not if you're using Protoss. On fastest map ever levels, I could easily beat 7 comps all going against me. They're too dumb to get large groups of air units... If you're talking about normal maps, though, you have a point.

[quote]And please, games cannot be won by bunkering up, because you're closing yourself off to expansion. You can't just sit in your base and wait. I laugh. Pleeeeease tell me you know that units can easilly be targeted on one carrier and not just the interceptors

With twelve missle turrets, all at once? Seriously...

[quote]Before you read this, please consider the following:

You're completely wrong about the game.

No, I'm really not. I've just accepted the fact that non "Use Map Settings" games are what they always have been- stale, repetitive crap. Even fastest maps get boring quickly- but if you want to get a bunch of wins added to you rankings, it's the easiest way to do so.

BTW Richaod, awesome link. It's about time they did this, I hope I can exploit the better campaign editor on Warcraft III for "Starcraft"...

Posted by Xero

Quoting GameMiestro: It doesn't matter how long the river is, it's how wide that matters. And when you have 5 siege tanks wipe out 20 photon cannons lined up on the edge of an opponents base, then yes, it is worth it, especialy considering that you can finish the player off with a lot of cloaked wraiths. I admit that this strategy can sometimes fail, but then again, so can any strategy.

Not if you're using Protoss. On fastest map ever levels, I could easily beat 7 comps all going against me. They're too dumb to get large groups of air units... If you're talking about normal maps, though, you have a point.

With twelve missle turrets, all at once? Seriously...

No, I'm really not. I've just accepted the fact that non "Use Map Settings" games are what they always have been- stale, repetitive crap. Even fastest maps get boring quickly- but if you want to get a bunch of wins added to you rankings, it's the easiest way to do so.

BTW Richaod, awesome link. It's about time they did this, I hope I can exploit the better campaign editor on Warcraft III for "Starcraft"...

Yes, if the river is not wide enough, you can destroy the cost defence and then send air unit. Invisible wraith? There are probably other photon cannons that will detect you and kill you. Better with battlecruisers ;)

Protoss for fast buildings? Yes, but if they send like 12 units each, thats means 84 units against the photons you built? No way that will work...Yes, if you survive that, they will send the same stuff over and over.

My start sometimes is to seige them with photons at the entrance of the base and they wont do anything else then send like 2 zerglings or marines or zealots to destroy the seige. While they waste time, I make air and go attack them. But these are comps...they suck...

Nice links richaod!

Posted by Nighthawk

I used to play StarCraft a lot and loved it. I played on bnet all the time while i had dial-up internet. I got DirecWay satellite internet a year and a half ago and cant play online games with it. When DSL or Cable finally gets out this way maybe I will play again.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Nighthawk: I used to play StarCraft a lot and loved it. I played on bnet all the time while i had dial-up internet. I got DirecWay satellite internet a year and a half ago and cant play online games with it. When DSL or Cable finally gets out this way maybe I will play again.

Do play again! Its such a good game!

Posted by ~vampire~

I finally got around to play again. I dumped WCIII for a while and I'm back on SC. Its still as fun. As if I've never played. Still rusty, but ready to kick some butts :)

Posted by SoraRoxas321

I still play Starcraft to this day. If ur Ever on b.net look me up i use the name Newbish4Life. and i play in the channel SWBK most of the time.

Posted by SoraRoxas321

I like Toss but of course I am one of the worst players in the channel i play in. The best person i would have to say is my friend Ixions. If your any good and u play on b.net look up Ixions and just randomly challenge him. I dare you.

Posted by Kit

I only play custom games. (Use Map Settings), defence maps, fun maps, etc.

I suck at normal games. :(

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Yes it does happen often that I'm the slowest one in normal games. I don't play them anymore either. I have fun with those sunken denfences and EVOLVES[/COLOR]

Posted by Kit

If you have Brood War, play Spawn Defence if possible. Very good game. :)
Games where you can stack turrets/cannons are good too.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I use to love stacking until I realized that it becomes useless at round 10 on ...(depends of the game)

If you stack, you make it difficult for yourself when the phontons/turrets aren't powerful enough anymore to kill the waves. Then they have plenty of room to go around while as if you make a thin passage for them to cross, you can kill them one by one with special units or buildings.

As for the spawn game, I'll try it soon. [/COLOR]

Posted by Kit

You act in two teams, and you have to both build a defence and buy units to go through the enemy defence. It gets tricky. :)

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Sounds good. I like when it gets hard. Otherwise it's lame and boring.[/COLOR]

Posted by Kit

Oh, you can't JUST build a defence. Buy more units to attack and you get more money to build a defence. Although you can just attack, but make sure you don't do it while playing 1on1. :)

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Will do.[/COLOR]

Posted by magic9mushroom

Doesn't anyone know that turrets/cannons/spores attack interceptors because they can't reach the carriers? They attack the carriers if the carrier is in range but as it generally isn't they attack what they can.

I generally play protoss or zerg. When playing terran I get pwned due to my extreme lack of micro(stim packs, defensive matrix...) but I don't mass with protoss. My general strat is:
Hotkey 1:12 zeals.
Hotkey 2:12 scouts.
Hotkey 3:12 DT.
Hotkey 4:4 reavers.
I often add more(obs, arbs, corsairs, maybe some DA or HT or goons), but those are the main ones. I hate carriers due to their extreme lack of attack, but I get FB for scouts/corsairs upgrades.

With zerg I go mutas/lings/guardians/scourge. I don't like them as much due to the extremely late siege.

Richard, stop being a carrier-spamming n00b, you choad. (Note, I actually know him)

EDIT: Are there any pros here that I could ask for strat confirmation?

Also, I am really bad at UMS (as in really bigtime UMS, not just turbocharged or something like that) but I'll try spawn defence when possible.