Connecting to the internet

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

ugh, so I just bought a wii and for the life of me I cannot get it to connect to my router. It is wireless, I know SSID name and all that stuff by it just keeps giving me the error 51030 saying that it can't find an access point even though my router is less than two feet away.

Thing is, I used to be able to connect my DS to my router no problem, so I tried that out and now it won't connect either. Anyone else run into a problem like this and know of a solution? I'm ****ing stuck...

Posted by maian

That's odd. =/

It worked out perfectly for me, after we just got our wireless set up. About a month or so ago, my Wii was having problems connecting to the internet, I was getting that same problem. But...I think that was just our wireless.

idk, I guess I can't really help >_>

Posted by Slade

All I know is that the Wii can't handle the better encrypted systems, and that it doesn't work with WPA security.

Posted by Iris

Buy a new Wii.

My router defaults to no security. No firewall, no passes or keys. I checked my DS settings and it's identical to my Wii settings, though neither wants to connect. siiiiiiiiiigh.

Posted by WillisGreeny

What kind of router is it?

When my DS stopped working I lowered the bitrate. I read something about how the bit transfer is slower on nintendo stuff than on laptops. I'm thinking it's caused by router updates, setting the bitrate higher. Good news is my DS started working after I lowered it back down.

Microsoft router, MN-500.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Microsoft router, MN-500.

Well, there's your answer right there.

I know on my router I had to change it to a different channel. 1 or 11. Not sure if they have that on other routers or whatnot.

It's a decent router all things considered and I haven't had a problem with it yet. But yeah, I've already tried changing the channels. Tried giving my router the wii's mac address, tried a static IP, changed pretty much all my wireless settings and still nothing even though I'm fairly certain it's still broadcasting a wireless signal...

Though if this doesn't work, what's the Wii LAN adapter like? Should I just go that route or what?

Posted by Speedfreak

Networking sucks. When I got my Wii I couldn't connect it for the life of me, even though my DS could. I even copied the DSs settings exactly and it didn't work.

[quote=Slade;822694]All I know is that the Wii can't handle the better encrypted systems, and that it doesn't work with WPA security.

Yes it does. You're thinking of DS.

So what did you end up doing?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;822722]Though if this doesn't work, what's the Wii LAN adapter like? Should I just go that route or what?
I have one, and it was pretty unreliable. Though strangely, I was able to get my Wii connected to my router immediately. Didn't you originally have another Wii connected to the internet? Might wanna copy pasta its settings.

Nope! Didn't even attempt it when it was hooked up at my house.

Though I find it strange how an adapter wouldn't be reliable. Was it, like, not an official Nintendo one or something? Though if that's the case and it's not so reliable that kinda sucks! The USB thing is apparently discontinued until further notice and I'm not going through the trouble of getting a new router if this one isn't giving me much trouble outside of Wii problems.

Posted by Ant

Check the actual nintendo support site. Or perhaps even your routers site/forums.

To connect it? Unfortunately I've done all that. Searched through google and didn't come up with anything too helpful either. Hoped someone here went though a similar situation as me and figured out a trick.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Wait, I thought the adapter = USB thing. The USB thing was unreliable.

Oh, yeah not that. It's just allows you to connect a ethernet cable into the USB port. I just don't wanna spend 30 bucks for a piece of ****ty plastic that doesn't work that great.

Though that might explain why the USB thing is discontinued!

Posted by Ant

This may sound dumb...but did you try unplugging your router for about 3 minutes? That normally resets my router, and fixes my connection most of the time.

Yeah. Unplugging it was one of the first things I did, and after that I must've reset it a good twenty times not including all the times it reset itself automatically.

siiiiiiigh, guess it's time to bust out my credit card... thanks anyways, guys. Though if anyone thinks of anything tell me!

Posted by WillisGreeny

Call Nintendo

They can't do anything. They'll just repeat what's on their site. They don't actually know what the **** they're doing, they're just reading from guidelines.

Posted by WillisGreeny

well ****man, I feel bad for ya. Heard some stuff about SD cards effecting the wireless connection. Some people have reported that after putting in an SD card the WII would find routers it originally couldn't.

Yeah, I read stuff like GC **** will **** with it detecting a wireless router, but I don't see how either of those things would affect it. Plus, I figured a 30 dollar lan adapter would be cheaper than an SD card anyways.

Tomorrow I'm just going to bring home some a laptop from work and see if it picks up my router. I know this laptop will pick up anything, so if it doesn't it's my router I guess.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;822739]So what did you end up doing?

Well for me it turned out my Wii didn't like the passcode, but rather the 26 hex number it translated to.

Oh, well that doesn't help me very much!

Ended up just sending a money order into Nintendo for that lan ****. better ****ing be here by the ninth.

Posted by O.T.L

there something wrong withn my Wii connection, i can brawl on wifi but i cant update my Wii for some reason ?maybe its my connection ? cauc=se i can brawl just fine with next to nothing lag .

Posted by Red

the first time I tried to go online I don't really know what I did but my brother put in some kind of SD card into the USB port. I didn't think it was suposed to work but apparently it did, I was able to spectate and have friend matches, but nothing else.

then, the next day when I went to do it, it was giving me the 51300 error or whatever it is. and today we just got our computer and router fixed so I figured it would work but apparently not.

Posted by Synth2012

When I was using a the Nintendo USB wi-fi thinger I never had any problems at all. Now I have a router and I'm having issues too. I got it all working smoothly one day, then the VERY NEXT DAY it "can't find an access point". Hadn't moved anything or changed any settings...