Memory metal.

Posted by Hyperactive Poster

http://www.sciencepunk.com/v5/2008/02/incredible-memory-metal/

[quote]Nitinol is an awesome alloy of nickel and titanium that can be made to return to a fixed shape no matter how twist or bent it becomes. We should definitely start making cars out of this stuff - then a pot of hot water would be enough to fix even the most crumpled wreck!

^^^^ Pure win.

Discuss.

Posted by Xero

Wow that's pretty cool! 0_0

Posted by mis0

Titanium and nickel? Yay increasingly rare and expensive metals!

Posted by Tyler Durden

I thought this thread was about some memory matching game, involving Judas Priest..

Posted by Slade

I read around on it, and it turns out it wouldn't work if you just made car shapes out of it since it has to be in thread or ribbon form to work. So maybe a massive, threaded car shield? Can't imagine that being very aerodynamic.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, interesting concept but doesn't seem to be half as cool as it should be.

Posted by Slade

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions...

Whatever they do with it will probably be lame and not really showy at all. I'd personally like to see a massive wire structure get smashed and then heated up. You know, for science.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

Quoting Tyler Durden: I thought this thread was about some memory matching game, involving Judas Priest..

Im actually disappointed its not......
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/Gir_Gone_Krazy/1.jpg[/IMG]
so im going to add some

Posted by Nazo

Huh... Very interesting. I'mma have to try this sometime. Good show, mate. :)

Posted by mis0

Quoting Slade: I read around on it, and it turns out it wouldn't work if you just made car shapes out of it since it has to be in thread or ribbon form to work. So maybe a massive, threaded car shield? Can't imagine that being very aerodynamic.

You could always just cast the threads in rubber or something to get a smooth, aerodynamic panel that would bend with the threads inside of it.

A better way to make cars out of the stuff would probably be to try and make the crumple-zone portions of the frame with it, and use inexpensive plastic body panels which could easily and cheaply be replaced after an accident. It would only work to an extent, really, because collisions affect much more than the exterior panels and frame.

Also, I think any savings you'd get in being able to fix a fender-bender with water would be negligable considering how much titanium and nickel cost.