Wi-Fi Good News, Bad News

Posted by Zeta

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/02/22/gdc08-wi-fi-good-news-bad-news/

[quote]Here's the good news:

Nintendo project leader Takashi Aoyama recently announced that Wii games would soon feature downloadable content. If you're unfamiliar with this service (which is currently prevalent in the other current-gen systems, the PS3 and Xbox 360), this means that you'll be able to download additional content for your games via Wi-Fi.

There's no word on what games will offer DLC (though we can make guesses on a few that will and won't), nor have we heard about potential memory limitations with the inclusion of this service. Add-ons will be available for both Wii Ware titles and disc-based games, though.

As per usual, Wii owners will be able to purchase such content with Wii Points or a credit card.

Now, are you ready for the bad news?

According to Nintendo, not all Wi-Fi services will be free on the Wii. The company is introducing a "Pay and Play" policy, which will make players subscribe to a specific game in order to use that game's online features.

Titles that implement this policy will have a red "Pay and Play" circle instead of the blue "Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection" one that we're used to seeing. Aoyama didn't specify which games would make users pay-to-play, nor did he reveal how much the services would cost.

Now, we could understand Nintendo charging for online services if they were up to snuff with the offerings of its competitors. It's no secret, though, that the company currently falls behind its current-gen counterparts in regards to online play. PSN (the PS3's online network) is still free for gamers, and although XBL requires a monthly subscription, it can't be argued that Microsoft's service is miles ahead of the Wii's.

Perhaps the cost will be minimal, or perhaps most publishers will decide to keep their services free (if the decision is up to them, that is). Let's just hope this doesn't happen with the DS, too.

*Note: Since Nintendo has been vague on "Pay and Play" details, it's not exactly clear what services will require users to cough up cash. We'll keep you posted as we hear more.

Posted by O.T.L

hope they dont make people pay for brawl .... I would be so ****ed. (angry face)

Posted by Roger Smith

It'd be the smart thing to do actually.

Posted by Synth2012

I was really excited when I found out about DLC for the Wii... but this sounds pretty lame. Depending on how much each game costs individually, it might not turn out to be that much more than paying for a subscription to Xbox Live, though.

...and I don't think they're gonna make people pay for Brawl because it's so close to release and they haven't said anything about it or shown any cover art with "red circles".

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Haha, wow. This on top of the fact that WiiWare titles won't have trials or demos and no solid plans for voice chat according to Sakurai. Jesus Christ.

Posted by junior senior

look!!
[quote]SAN FRANCISCO -- Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection service has always been entirely free of charge, but the company will soon introduce a pay-to-play service for some games, it announced at Game Developers Conference.

"Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay And Play" will let users subscribe on a game-by-game basis to certain titles. Nintendo project leader Takashi Aoyama announced the service at GDC, but did not say what upcoming games would require payment for the service, or how much they would cost.

To avoid customer confusion, Pay-And-Play games will have a red icon on the game's box that reads Pay And Play, in place of the traditional blue Wi-Fi Connection icon, which will only be used for games that are free to play.

This is a pretty big change for Nintendo, who has always been adamant about wanting online gameplay to be free. While this might attract more developers to the service with a new revenue stream, it also might confuse consumers -- and be a hassle if the payment system isn't easy. You'll use Wii Points to pay for the online gaming, so it should be interesting to see if this extends to the DS Lite or if it's just restricted to Wii.

doesn't brawl have a blue icon?! ;)

Posted by Slade

...You'd think that if some good titles aren't PAY4PLAY then they'd sell much better than the others and eventually lead to them going 100% in either direction. So either every popular game will charge, or this half and half thing won't last long.

Posted by Panic!

That sucks. I hope they don't make Guitar Hero III a pay and play game. I enjoy playing that on Wi-Fi at Amber's house and my sister should be getting it soon.

Also, I liked how Wi-Fi was free because it's just better that way. I dunno if PS3's live system is free or not, but I know 360's $60+ for a year subscription is stupid.

Posted by Arcadios

****ING ****
I WAS HOLDING YOU CLOSE TO ME, NINTENDO. :(

Posted by protomanv4

Quoting JUNIOR SENIOR: look!!

doesn't brawl have a blue icon?! ;)

I'm sure that brawl has a blue icon. I think it woulden't be pay to play, sence it's not pay to play in Japan.

Posted by Ant

Games that are already out won't be affected by this. They're going for more of a XboxLive feel, I think. And they just said there wouldn't be voice chat for Brawl(which sucks) but future titles might. And to use features like that you'd have to pay? I'm sure we'll learn more in the future.

Posted by Arcadios

DO NOT ****ING WANT CHAT FOR BRAWL

Posted by Ant

Congratulations, you're in about a 1% minority. But it's too late for that to happen.

Quoted post: DO NOT ****ING WANT CHAT FOR BRAWL

Wow, you're dumb.

Quoted post: They're going for more of a XboxLive feel, I think.

It'd only be worth paying for it was up to Live's quality, so let's hope that's true.

Posted by Zeta

Personally, I can't wait to pay for games featuring Nintendo's extravagent friend code system. :cookie:

Posted by Slade

Huh, I had forgotten about the whole friend code thing. Really seems like a feature of a free online service to me.

Posted by maian

lol

I don't care that much, because I'm not a huge online gamer, and Brawl will be free.

But...this smells like GBA/GC Connectivity. Or in other words, Nintendo making something they think is great and awesome and innovative, that costs a lot of money.

"WITH PAY AND PLAY, LOOK AT ALL THE COOL THINGS YOU CAN UNLOCK IN THIS GAME LOL!" So my guess is that a lot of pay and play unlockables are going to be a lot of stupid obscure things that, in essence, are cool, but really not worth the money in most cases.

Yeah, doesn't make much sense to have friend codes if you need a parent to pay for the service, you know? One or the other, nintendo!

Posted by Speedfreak

Animal Crossing MMO.

It's f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking obvious.

Expecting Nintendo to charge for a service they're already providing or do that for some games but not others is the stupidist idea I've ever heard. Obviously they're going to add something significant if they're going to charge for it. I figure they won't do Xbox Live (or charge that much either). But if announcing DLC and subscriptions for specific games doesn't say MMO in SOME way I don't know what does.

Posted by Ant

Hmm, yes that's highly probable.

Posted by Speedfreak

At the very least it's a way to allow other companies to do MMOs or some other kind of game with a constant stream of downloadable content. There's nothing about their online service that makes me think they want to copy Xbox Live, sorry guys but it's clearly not going to happen. The subscription has to be for something else.

Oh great, mmos on consoles... just what I've always wanted

Posted by Ant

needs more shootan!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Iris

I guess it makes sense. It also works for the point system, 2000 points gives enough leeway to spend small amounts on things worth buying in MMOs without it being outrageously overpriced. I'm looking forward to what this may hold.

Posted by Zelda_Guy

I acctually hope that after the paying thing happens, friend codes will be gone (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THOUGH)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;821035]Oh great, mmos on consoles... just what I've always wanted

BY NOW YOU SHOULD HAVE REALISED THAT NINTENDO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT, VAMP.

A subscription to a game wouldn't even have to be something that involves game servers. It could anything that needs a constant revenue stream. Animal Crossing with a constant supply of new furniture/items/features would sell like crazy.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Can't wait to see Nintendo's take on achievements. Phantom Hourglass even had its own spin on them.

Posted by Speedfreak

Uh, it did? What's that got to do with DLC and subscriptions?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It seems the NWFC's getting an overhaul to keep up with the competition, so I figured they'd implement something similar to what the 360 and PS3 have.

As for PH's achievements - check Battle Mode.

Posted by Speedfreak

Keep up with the competition? You haven't noticed after their pissing off Live fans for 3 years that they don't care about the competition? With the amount of people in their target audience using their service over anyone elses in the console market what would be worth beating?

Nintendo's not making Xbox Live. Get over it. Even if they did We wouldn't have Smash Bros or Mario Kart on it this generation. I can't see them putting the effort in before Wii dies when they'll have already blown those two.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The introduction of downloadable content flies in the face of the idea that they're not doing something to create a comparable service.

It's cool to not care. Nintendo's cool.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;821087]The introduction of downloadable content flies in the face of the idea that they're not doing something to create a comparable service.

PC games have DLC. Their online services are further away from Xbox Live than WFC is, at least in terms of it being unified. You're using the fact that they're adding one feature that XBL (and every other online service) has to make the assumption that whatever they haven't announced will also be similar. Considering their track record and what they want out of an online service it's unrealistic and just pure wishful thinking.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Oh great, mmos on consoles... just what I've always wanted

And why is that worse than a PC MMO exactly?

That's like saying why is s[COLOR="White"]h[/COLOR]it worse than vomit.

Posted by Speedfreak

Haha, you are such a fucking crybaby.

Posted by Malevolence

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: That's like saying why is s[COLOR="White"]h[/COLOR]it worse than vomit.

To each his own, I guess. Haven't you seen 2girls1cup?

Quoted post: Haha, you are such a ****ing crybaby.

What? MMOs suck.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: That's like saying why is s[COLOR="White"]h[/COLOR]it worse than vomit.

bol.

Though I think a Animal Crossing MMO would be interesting enough for me to maybe purchase. MAYBE.

Posted by Synth2012

Quoting Ant: bol.

Though I think a Animal Crossing MMO would be interesting enough for me to maybe purchase. MAYBE.

That would be amazing. lol

Posted by Last Fog

Well, I'm now convinced that a certain two people can not step foot in the same thread without derailing it with a pointless argument. But hey it's amusing.

Anyway, this Pay and Play thing probably won't be a big deal. After all, Brawl will be free and that's the only game anyone with a Wii will be playing online from now until the end of eternity.

Posted by Ezili

Ill have to find a Wii first before they can make me pay for the WiFi -.-

Quoting Ant: Hmm, yes Ezili pwns me in smash.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Ezili: Ill have to find a Wii first before they can make me pay for the WiFi -.-

[quote=Ant]Hmm, yes Ezili pwns me in smash.

I don't recall saying that. I must have blacked out.