Old vs. New

Posted by emoposer9

Recently I've gotten into Emulators and I can't stop playing. The funny thing is that I remember when these games first came out and how much I thought they sucked. I think I'm going back to them because they do something that modern games don't do, provide a challenge. All modern games are easy. Yes the graphics are amazing and realistic and there are exceptions to the easy rule, but nothing will ever be as much fun or as challenging as old school gaming.

Posted by Fate

Ninja Gaiden?

Posted by Zeta

The NES Ninja Gaidens were harder than the Xbawks one.

****ing eagles...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Less fun to play though.

Posted by Fate

Difficulty =/= fun

Posted by Pit

Quit being a ***** and start the game off on the hardest setting. It's what I do now, I mean most NES games that I remember had a difficulty setting, they just started hard as ****.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;820419][COLOR=skyblue]Difficulty =/= fun[/COLOR]

A complete lack of a challenge is even less fun.

Posted by Ashen

I personally enjoy the old games more now because I used to suck at them and now I don't. Though, as Zeta said, stupid ****ing eagles really mess you up in Ninja Gaiden.

The only new school game that I can think of I've had trouble with was... Dragon Quest 8. I've actually had to grind in that as opposed to, say, Tales of the Abyss. But, then again, I'm having to grind in FFXII, and I have to do some small level-ups in Wild Arms 5, since I don't take time to level up anyways. Can't say anything for anything else though.

Oh, yeah, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2. EASY game.

Posted by Speedfreak

DQ8 is gay for grinding. Got all the way through the game and found out I specced with the completely wrong weapon, so I couldn't grind metal slimes. Gave up right there.

Most JRPGs ****ing fail for being boring grindfests.

Quoted post: Difficulty =/= fun

Difficulty can definitely equal fun. Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox was as great as it was partly due to its difficulty.

Posted by Fate

Just because it can doesn't mean it's the only qualification of being fun.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Speedfreak: A complete lack of a challenge is even less fun.

Agreed.

I'm starting to play more and more old games again. I just enjoy going back to the root of the game series I enjoy playing with the Wii right now. Like Super Mario games, The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario RPG (not a serie, I know) for example.

Quoted post: Just because it can doesn't mean it's the only qualification of being fun.

No certainly not, but it definitely adds to the experience. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I just want to breeze though a game and never have to worry about dying (what's up, BioShock) but it really depends on the game and its mechanics. if it's heavily story and plot driven, I honestly do want the game to be on the easy side, whereas if it's something like a hack-and-slash like DMC and Ninja Gaiden where the story really doesn't matter, challenge plz.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;820567]Difficulty can definitely equal fun. Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox was as great as it was partly due to its difficulty.

I think what she means is difficulty by itself isn't fun. It has to be fun difficult instead of frustrating and unfair difficult. Or going by her taste in games there's more ways to have fun than by providing a challenge, which is also true.

Right, obviously. Not saying otherwise.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Fun difficult is fun. Frustrating difficult is frustrating. Pretty graphics are pretty. Just thought I'd clarify that up for everyone.

The only difficulty I find frustrating is when it's the game's fault you're losing, not your own. Again, Ninja Gaiden is a good example. If you were getting your *** kicked it was only your fault, so in a way that was a lot less frustrating than let's say CoD4 Mile High mission on Veteran difficulty where you could do the same thing over and over again and the only way you'll ever win is if the game finally decides to work perfectly (flashbangs will actually blind enemies, guns won't be empty of ammo, etc)

Posted by ZEN

Quoting emoposer9: they do something that modern games don't do, provide a challenge. All modern games are easy.

Usually I side with the older games but for now I'm going to defend the new stuff to a degree...

Newer games are still challenging but in a different way. In the old days, you bought a game that probably only took 45 minutes to beat from start to finish, however it would take you about a month of playing before you were good enough to survive those 45 minutes.
Newer games provide anywhere from 10-150 hours of game play. You can't expect them to be the same kind of challenge as the older days. Constant deaths and level repetition just won't please people who are playing a "marathon".

There are exceptions to the rule. In recent years we've had 'Ikaruga', 'Ghost's 'n Goblins', and 'Contra' games which went over well with gamers (kind of).

'Ninja Gaiden' XBOX is the perfect example of challenge in a modern 3D action title. I think I spent close to 40 hours on my first run-through (I'm slow) but still got plenty of "Game Over" screens and playing the same parts repeatedly. It wasn't so much that I liked the difficulty- it was liking the accomplishment of beating the difficulty.

Posted by keyartist

NES games rock, I usally get my fix on vNES.com or everyvideogame.com

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;821014]The only difficulty I find frustrating is when it's the game's fault you're losing, not your own. Again, Ninja Gaiden is a good example. If you were getting your *** kicked it was only your fault, so in a way that was a lot less frustrating than let's say CoD4 Mile High mission on Veteran difficulty where you could do the same thing over and over again and the only way you'll ever win is if the game finally decides to work perfectly (flashbangs will actually blind enemies, guns won't be empty of ammo, etc)

What, really? I thought fun difficult would be frustrating and frustrating difficult would be fun!

Oh hey, that wasn't my point at all! HUH!

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting ZEN: Constant deaths and level repetition just won't please people who are playing a "marathon".

That's a very good point, and one that I've agreed with in the past. I simply don't have the patience anymore of spending hours replaying the same level over and over again until I can finally beat it.

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox 360) is a welcome exception as replaying a portion of the game feels fresh because of the excellent combat system.

Posted by muffla

Quoting Big Boss: Ninja Gaiden (Xbox 360) is a welcome exception as replaying a portion of the game feels fresh because of the excellent combat system.

360 or xbox? ng2 isnt out yet

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting muffla: 360 or xbox? ng2 isnt out yet

Xbox. Slip of the fingers.