Jack Thompson? Meet Winda Benedetti

Posted by S

[quote=www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23204875]
By Winda Benedetti
MSNBC contributor
updated 12:31 a.m. PT, Mon., Feb. 18, 2008

Say what you will about Jack Thompson, but the attorney-turned-anti-video-game crusader has what can only be described as a breathtaking genius for transforming ghastly national tragedies into shining moments of self promotion.

On Friday, police were still struggling to figure out why a seemingly polite, well-respected graduate student named Steven Kazmierczak had shot and killed five students at Northern Illinois University and then turned the gun on himself. But Thompson had it all figured out. Faster than you can say wild speculation and reckless sensationalism, he leapt in front of Fox News cameras and suggested that video games were to blame.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

He also challenged a random internet blogger to a live debate on Faux news, under the belief that the blogger was Samuel L Jackson.

Posted by Iris

Fantastic article. MSN reporters are pretty decent.

Posted by Zeta

Didn't the Florida Bar tell him to shut up?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Was supposed to be disbarred, but there was never a follow-up.

Posted by Ashen

It's the next rock-and-roll, I'm telling ya. To be serious, people were doing the same thing back in the fifties when rock-and-roll was starting to become popular; you know, the "devil's music." It was apparently the cause of everything from pregnancies to mass murderings. Now it's video games. Except I haven't heard yet of a pregnancy blamed on video games. THAT will be the day.

I'd also like to bring up that numerous studies have been done to see if there's a correlation between violent behaviour and violent video games. Their conclusion? No conclusive evidence. As Winda correctly stated, the primary cause for the the two shootings was psychological dysfunction.

What I laugh about is that whenever a high school-/college-age person shoots someone (or a group of people), it's blamed on video games, but when someone who's older than that does so, it's blamed on the correct culprit: either psychological dysfunction or sheer murderous motivation. And also it's silly to think that he's trumpeting video games like GTA being the cause of all this when people who are college-age were old enough to know better when the games actually came out in the first place. Again, look at the psychological records.

Winda Benedetti, I salute thee.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Don't they realise, for him, any publicity really is good publicity? All he wants is people talking about him and writing articles about his idiocy.