Having trouble with a windfall

Posted by Ashen

So I'm about to get a $300 windfall. And $115 of that is going to Otakon. But even after that, I'll still have money.

89 + 300 = 389 - 115 = 274 + 20 = 294

But, I'm at a loss of what to get with it. I'm really itching to get a PSP, since I have a friend who mods them all the time and he can get me a SNES emulator and help get PSX games to work on it (even though it doesn't take much). And I'd love to play my SNES games on the road. However, everyone's pushing to get a Wii (what with Brawl inching closer). I could also spend it on the numerous DVDs and mangas that I've been wanting to get as well. But I'm not going to get any more money (save my allowance, which disappears really fast due to school lunches) until June/July.

So, yeah, anyone got suggestions?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

PSP is a good choice. There's actually a lot of great games on it, contrary to what people tend to say. Though if you're super looking forward to Brawl, might as well go with a Wii I guess while you have the money.

Posted by Arcadios

Get a Wii.
I mean...you want to pay for roms and support your gaming companies, right?
Right?
But really, get a Wii. Brawl's out in less than a month and Galaxy is really worth looking into.

EDIT:
lol I gotta save up soon since I'm going to Anime Boston.

Posted by Shade

Let's see, either a Wii for two games, or a PSP for the assload of good games that are out for, along with playing SNES games on it.

I'd go with the PSP.

Posted by Arcadios

You know no better.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Arcadios: You know better.

Now you're catching on.

Posted by Ashen

Quoting Shade: Let's see, either a Wii for two games, or a PSP for the assload of good games that are out for, along with playing SNES games on it.

I'd go with the PSP.

That was actually my thought process. In fact, I usually never even think about getting a system until about 3-5 games come out for it that I want. Wii's only got... two? I enjoy playing Wii with others rather than myself, though, so yeah (even though Brawl does have a good single player mode). I'm not ZOMG MUST HAVE about Brawl; I can practice a tad on Melee, and besides, it's not like I'm going to a tournament.

As for PSP, I'd want emulation (duh), Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, one of the Mega Man remakes/games, Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (even though it sucks; it's enough Tales to tide me over for Tales of Innocence to come out Stateside, which it NEEDS to D: ) ... and there were a few others, the Final Fantasy remakes NOT included. I have enough of those, plus I can play the original on there. :P

PSP it is.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Buy a SNES. I always wanted one of my own...

Posted by Arcadios

I have one.
Only game I have for it is Super Mario World but that's fine by itself. :)

Posted by Ashen

Already covered with the SNES. And I know exactly where it is. Only problem is that you can't exactly carry a TV around. :)

I actually have quite a few games for it, like SMW, Secret of Mana, Darius Twin... I even have Super Metroid (and I mean the cartridge, not a rom).

Posted by David M. Awesome

[quote=Ashen;818684]Already covered with the SNES. And I know exactly where it is. Only problem is that you can't exactly carry a TV around. :)

I actually have quite a few games for it, like SMW, Secret of Mana, Darius Twin... I even have Super Metroid (and I mean the cartridge, not a rom).

**** YEAH

Posted by Arcadios

So I'm guessing you'll get a slim PSP. What color are you looking to get?
The silver ones looks pretty awesome.
I was gonna get a slim PSP simply for anime but I decided to go with Zune 80GB since I needed a new MP3 player in general and the screen's pretty awesome when it comes to watching videos.
Sweet, sweet subs.

Posted by Ashen

I might get the phat, just because it's easier to mod. Though, I'm currently going to wait, mostly because I still don't have my money, and I'm waiting to see if someone will get me one for my b-day in a few months. I know a few people DEFINITELY know I want one. I keep getting guilted that it's my college money I'll be cutting into. I mean, it's an expense I'm going to have to make eventually. It's prudent, I think, to wait until after a time when you can get it for free, THEN spend your own money on it. That's why I waited so long for Tales of the Abyss. :3

(*tries typing with frozen fingers; curse you lunar eclipse!*)

**** college. What's more important? Video games now or college a year from now? Exactly.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Ashen: (*tries typing with frozen fingers; curse you lunar eclipse!*)

Haha, you stayed out for that too, huh? I had no ****ing idea they took so long. My friends and I stood outside for like two hours watching the thing.

And get it right after you b-day if you don't get one. It's like, what, $300 max if you get some games with it? Your college fund can take that hit.

Posted by Ashen

Quoting Shade: Haha, you stayed out for that too, huh? I had no ****ing idea they took so long. My friends and I stood outside for like two hours watching the thing.

And get it right after you b-day if you don't get one. It's like, what, $300 max if you get some games with it? Your college fund can take that hit.

My mom and I actually went back and forth between watching it and Law & Order, going inside into the warmth, then back out. I think the most time we spent (which froze my fingers) was when we were attempting to take pictures of it. Probably took about 20 minutes. Mainly because I inherited my mom's tremors. :X

IF $300. The PSP itself if I get it used will be about $130-150, and then I'd get a stick with it if it doesn't come with one, which will run another $50-70. So... yeah, maybe $300. Since I'm a bloody pirate and I'd probably just get stuff onto the stick instead of getting a UMD. :X (nah, I'll get my favorite ones on UMD and get an .iso for a back-up XD)

Posted by Arcadios

Since we're talking about PSPs and pirating, what systems can PSP pirate?

Posted by Lord of Spam

buy half an ounce of some dank *** **** and have a fun month :D